"Until It's Gone" - Zane Lowe - May 5

Stranger

Basically I meant songs like Lying From You, Figure.09, From The Inside, A Place For My Head, etc kick the ass of In Between, Shadow Of The Day, Iridescent, etc...you can't say entire albums are better than others because some songs rock so much that they make other songs look like nothing.

LP mastered being able to take samples of noises/sounds and craft them into these great tracks on Meteora. I'm a big fan.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll stand in the minority and say I like this song more than GATS, just barely.

I'm also with you on that one I think. And I'm not surprised at all since I'm usually in the minority, especially with the singles. I think I like it more than GATS, just barely. I'll probably post a more extensive review/post on it once I listen to it for another day or two. I need to absorb this song for another day or so before I really get a feel for where it stands. Both lyrically and instrumentally.

Linkin Park is mainstream. Of course there will be mainstream music fans in here.

Of coarse, Linkin Park is probably the biggest offender in mainstream music. Which is fine with me. It's just hysterically funny to see people complaining that the song ''isn't heavy'' or ''visceral'' and it sounds like ''disney music'' and pop music, so irritating. THEY ARE MAINSTREAM. People are aware that LP has made plenty of pop rock songs that were very successful, right?

Edited by Geki

After listening to the song several times, I think it has grown on me. I'd say I like it even if it's not the greatest thing in the world. I don't think it's better than GATS, but if this is the softest song we'll hear on the album, then I think I'll be satisfied. The song has a lot of interesting things going on, musically. I'm still not completely happy with the mix (of both UIG and GATS), especially with how the drums sound.

I honestly don't care about lyrics in general. I've never understood why a lot of people care so much about the lyrics (of any song/band). If I want to read deep stuff, I guess I'd simply read poetry. As long as the words make sense, flow well and have nice melodies, that's fine with me. If LP wants to use the words "lies" and "pain" in every song from now on, I honestly don't care as long as the music is good.

Oh, and the outro bit is interesting and I can't wait how it connects to Rebellion which is probably the song I'm looking forward the most.

90% of the music that you post is pop or ultra mainstream music.

I said nothing about mainstream music. Of course I listen to mainstream music: http://www.last.fm/user/Hahninator/library But not a whole lot of pop.

I was saying the last time I've seen a 110% positive reaction to a new song that wasn't a mix of all sorts of different opinions was for No More Sorrow in April 2007.

I said nothing about mainstream music. Of course I listen to mainstream music: http://www.last.fm/user/Hahninator/library But not a whole lot of pop.

I was saying the last time I've seen a 110% positive reaction to a new song that wasn't a mix of all sorts of different opinions was for No More Sorrow in April 2007.

Ok, I just don't get why LP fans are expecting a metal album when LP have never made anything that sounds like metal, not even GATS at all.

Ok, I just don't get why LP fans are expecting a metal album when LP have never made anything that sounds like metal, not even GATS at all.

Because of Mike. He's been hyping this all up talking about how he's going to bring rock back to rock music. I've learned from the last few records to not listen to what Mike says. I believe it was Mike who said that LIVING THINGS was supposed to be an album to be played lived, but look what happened...

So knowing that, I think I enjoyed UIG more than most. Little disappointed in the lyrics, but the music is awesome. Plus never upset with a song with just Chester singing. :)

Because of Mike. He's been hyping this all up talking about how he's going to bring rock back to rock music. I've learned from the last few records to not listen to what Mike says. I believe it was Mike who said that LIVING THINGS was supposed to be an album to be played lived, but look what happened...

After some time to sit and think about it, I honestly think that's what made me disappointed in the song. Not so much the song itself (although I still think it's a bit meh). I guess you sometimes can't help but have your judgement and impressions clouded by the artist's own thoughts and opinions.

Sitting here and just reading the past 5 pages of this thread has really made my day better.

I have to listen to the full album now, the song is cool but the chorus is weak. If anything music is music and I'm used to Linkin Park being different since MTM. Every album after That has been different and that's what makes Linkin Park cool. If anything if you ask any normal music fan, they will say New Divide, Waiting For The End & Burn It Down were the last great LP songs and everything else is bs. Then Recharged came out and they gained more new fans with all this EDM hype in music today. What I'm trying to get here is that ever since MTM, every album and song has been different and Ppl should be used to the fact that LP will never make another album again that every track sounds the same and LP will forever be known as the Nu-Metal band everybody grew up listening to in high school and becoming a mainstream band with MTM, & then becoming the transformer movie band, only to experiment with ATS, rush a new album with Living Things, & now they want to both bring back the old fans but please the new fans by making music that sounds like both old and new LP while trying to make it sound like today's modern rock & pop and the truth is that there no old/new, it's only LP but ppl will not believe it and this goes for any artist or genre. Bottom line there trying to please everyone & it's not working and now they are rushing to release music.

Bottom line there trying to please everyone & it's not working and now they are rushing to release music.

100% agree with this, even though I love LT and these 2 HP tracks. The whole new album every 2 years thing is stupid; that is a product of the fans bitching nonstop that LP doesn't release records fast enough.

Edited by Geki

The song is definitely not the problem, the problem is the wrong hype. After GATS most of the people thought the next single we'll be heavier, except some that said the next will be the softer single.

But imagine this:

UIG digital release with a lyric and playable music videos, no physical release.

+

Mike: "*words*... heavy ...*words*... heavy". Chester: "GATS is nothing compared to the album sound" (he said something similar). Interviews. Interviews. Interviews.

+

GATS physical and digital release, and some nice music video.

=

Right hype.

Solid song, I really like it. Put this with GATS and youve got what could be the range of the album. And its becomging extremely evident, you cant please everyone (and it feels more and more like you cant please anyone at all).

Love this direction and cant wait for The Hunting Party!

I think the issues here is that people are comparing Until It's Gone with Guilty All The Same and the other heavy songs and stuff that will be on the album. We already knew that there would be a few ''slower'' songs on the album and Derek's review basically confirmed that this was going to be a moody, slower style track. Of coarse LP wants to put out this song for a single, it sounds like it could be a hit with the mainstream. The album will most likely sound drastically different from Until It's Gone. LP does this stuff all the time! Fans of MTM, ATS & LT probably enjoy Until It's Gone a lot, but there will definitely be tons of heavier shit for the old school LP fans on the album, trust me on that.

100% agree with this, even though I love LT and these 2 HP tracks. The whole new album every 2 years thing is stupid; that is a product of the fans bitching nonstop that LP doesn't release records fast enough.

LMAO @ the concept of taking two years to put out an album being "rushing things." There was a time not too long ago where if a band didn't put out an album at LEAST once a year, it was usually because they had either broken up, or something catastrophic happened to them like a band member dying. The only reason albums take so long these days is because bands hardly make any money off of them thanks to the handful of greedy, rich CEOs who control the entire recording industry. Bands used to tour an album for a few months, now a typical cycle lasts 2+ years because bands would constantly lose money if they didn't tour as much as possible.

LMAO @ the concept of taking two years to put out an album being "rushing things." There was a time not too long ago where if a band didn't put out an album at LEAST once a year, it was usually because they had either broken up, or something catastrophic happened to them like a band member dying. The only reason albums take so long these days is because bands hardly make any money off of them thanks to the handful of greedy, rich CEOs who control the entire recording industry. Bands used to tour an album for a few months, now a typical cycle lasts 2+ years because bands would constantly lose money if they didn't tour as much as possible.

Damn. Never looked at it in that aspect..

The lack of effort in this song disappointed me so much. I have always given LP the benefit of the doubt when it comes to softer songs because they usually display an extremely original brand of creativity that helps define them as a band. In fact, I have made it clear numerous times that A Thousand Suns was my favorite record of theirs since Hybrid Theory. This time however, they simply rehashed old Meteora synths with extremely lazy lyrics. This song is officially going down as my least favorite LP song of all time. I really hope that it's not meant to represent the new record in any way, shape, or form, and simply exists to meet their radio friendly single quota. Guilty All The Same was way better as a representative of this record if it is as heavy as they claim it is. Until It's Gone gets a 2/10 and that's being generous.

Basically I meant songs like Lying From You, Figure.09, From The Inside, A Place For My Head, etc kick the ass of In Between, Shadow Of The Day, Iridescent, etc...

I'll take In Between over LFY, Figure.09, FTI, or APFM any day.

Music is subjective. Everybody has different opinions on what song they like more. At the end of the day there really aren't "better" or "worse" songs.

It's just a 1 f*cking song of 12. What about the other 11?

That's a nice stance to take, but we have two of those twelve right now, so we're going to focus on them.

I'm glad I came back now from that hiatus I took at the beginning of the year. LPL's at its best when a new album is on the verge of coming out.

Edited by Final Destiny

You know what I love the most about new LP stuff?

That every single time they bring it out, people always react the same way: this is not as good as *INSERT OLD ALBUM HERE* or *INSERT PREVIOUSLY RELEASED, HEAVIER TRACK HERE*

Let's change the record shall we?

#endrant

I personally think this is very different and I quite enjoy it! With GATS and UIG I'm looking forward to hear the rest!