"Until It's Gone" - Zane Lowe - May 5

Stranger

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the lyrics are good and meaning full, it kind of reminds me of Shadow Of The Day. I predict that after this song there will be a heavy track on the album.

I agree.

Its not that the lyrics are bad, its that they're just simple. Nothing is cringe worthy lyric wise in this song and its much better than a lot of the whiny crap on HT and Meteora.

I agree.

Its not that the lyrics are bad, its that they're just simple. Nothing is cringe worthy lyric wise in this song and its much better than a lot of the whiny crap on HT and Meteora.

Both UIG and SOAD have very simple lyrics, but very meaningful and emotional at the same time. Some say LP do not put enough effort to write the lyrics, well, try to write such a meaningful lyrics with so much simplicity, that's poems.

WHOAH that sounded TOTALLY different to anything they've ever done, I LOVE it!

It sounds like a Minutes to Midnight song with Meteora lyrics and Living Things synths on it.

lol... 0 synth, until it's gone repeated around 30 times, ok.

If you can't hear the synth work on this track, I would highly suggest you consider donating your ears to science. Someone else could probably put them to better use.

All we've heard for months now was how hard this record is going to be.....and then they release this. I understand that not every track is going to be heavy, but this is exactly what Mike was saying they were going to get away from.

Exactly....all I've heard is how this record is going in a completely different direction than the last few records...and then we get this.

Mike never specifically said they were getting away from the sound of their previous records. He said they were getting away from the sound of the initial demos the band worked on between Living Things and The Hunting Party, which supposedly sounded a lot like "indie pop" groups that are popular today - Fun, Vampire Weekend, Cvrches, etc...this song sounds nothing like those groups. That kind of sound would have been a pretty obvious evolution of the band's sound if you look at what you'd expect the "next step" to be after the last 3 records, but it's not like they're trying to discredit their previous work.

About all that's been said regarding this record being different from previous Linkin Park records is that the songs are more guitar-driven, unlike a lot of the A Thousand Suns and Living Things material was. The general impression I've got of this record is "more consistently heavy Minutes to Midnight-esque material, with the addition of guest musicians on several songs." So far, I think that's been pretty accurate.

Lol, we always think the same.

Sometimes I think you guys were separated at birth. :P

As for my thoughts on the song...I REALLY like this one instrumentally, but I still stand by my original statement that writing a rock song around a phrase as cliché as "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" in 2014 is cringe-worthy. Worst chorus on a Linkin Park song since Numb, and the rest of the lyrics aren't much better. Chester also sounds really strained again in spots on this one, particularly the part right before the second chorus.

Oh, spare me. I dare you to say that with a straight face.

Hybrid Theory & Meteora are fucking terrible compared to ANYTHING the band has done on MTM, ATS, LT & probably all of THP. I like Hybrid Theory & Meteora for the nostalgia factor and because they are fun to listen to. But if you think the lyrics and songs are actually better songs than the songs on MTM, ATS, LT & probably all of THP.... I don't even know.

Hybrid Theory & Meteora are fucking terrible compared to ANYTHING the band has done on MTM, ATS, LT & probably all of THP. I like Hybrid Theory & Meteora for the nostalgia factor and because they are fun to listen to. But if you think the lyrics and songs are actually better songs than the songs on MTM, ATS, LT & probably all of THP.... I don't even know.

He said was comparing UIG to Meteora/HT specifically. You're both on.

lololol

Lying From You takes a shit on Shadow Of The Day and so on and so forth...I could go on for pages.

I don't know.

I think I'm going to have to reserve judgement until the whole album or I've heard it a few more times.

I really don't know, I've agreed with everyone's points, all the contradictions and everything.

I do like it, I think.

I want a proper music video dammit!

I wouldn't complain if that were the case.

I feel I should post my review of the song:

To start off, if you were expecting another song as heavy as Guilty All The Same, don't even bother. This song is nowhere near as heavy, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. This track reassures some concerns I had that this new album would be nothing but heavy songs made just to be heavy. The instrumental, while not being heavy, is probably the most atmospheric and ambient since A Thousand Suns days. The synth blends really well with the more natural instruments, instead of overpowering them. All in all, Linkin Park have yet again showed how they learn and improve upon themselves. Chester's vocals are very different from the previous single, and in a good way. It progresses instead of staying the same throughout, and that really saves the chorus. It goes from a quiet, but emotional, whisper to a cleaner vocal to a signature raspy Chester scream at the end. It adds to the overall feel and gives it an extra punch. Everything is pretty good so far, but the lyrics are this song's weakest point. The cliche of "You don't know what you've got until it's gone" is the primary source for the lyrical content, and that brings it down a bit. The verses are pretty good for a Linkin Park single, and amplify the effect of the cliche, but the chorus is incredibly repetitive lyrically. Chester's delivery saves it a little, but on paper, the lyrics are very bland. All in all, the track is far from bad. I personally enjoyed it a lot, but that's because I could connect with the lyrics very well at this point of my life. It may vary for you.

Instrumentation - 10/10

Vocals - 9/10

Lyrics - 6/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Edited by CASTLE OF GLASS

Like usual I'm sure this song will grow on me, but thankfully I didn't hype it up as much. Chester sounds very strained on this track, and the lyrics' genericness doesn't bother me so much since it's backed by a pretty solid melody. Looking forward to the album and how the first 2 singles blend together as a whole. BTW... Absolutely LOVE all the haters I've read since the song's release (yeah, that many in such a short span) Many rock stations/websites posting about the song are full of haters and how they've made nothing better since Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Never stops amazing me how musically ignorant people are haha

This sounds absolutely nothing like current pop rock...

Exactly! I personally really like the song. Maybe it's not as heavy as we thought, but we can't expect any new song to be the band's heaviest song to date. Lyrics might be simple, but they're still good. Not every new song needs to be the band's new ATS (Even though I really like the more complicated songs). And as Ducko said, it's extremely far away from current pop rock, even though it's not that heavy. I think Chester is quite good vocally on this song. Overall, I think it's a really good song. I hope pre orders for the album with UIG starts tonight.

I have listened to the song probably 20 times now. I was on constant repeat for a moment. I'm in love. Stopped for about 30 minutes and listened again after reading all the hate. My thought the entire time was, "Would I like this if I heard it on the radio and didn't know it was LP." I might be biased by now, but I think I can honestly say that when compared to what Rock music is nowadays (Imagine Dragons,CHVRCHES, Bastille, Lorde, Passenger, Neon Trees, & Coldplay) and this song WIPES THE FLOOR with that Rock music. I would rather have this type of song repeated 12 times on an album and call it Rock than what any of those bands currently have charting on the Hot Rock Billboard.

This DEFINITELY follows what the band has hyped for the album. Visceral, Carnivorous, & ROCK.

I am well aware that hell would freeze over before we get anything close to a metal record by the band. However, I think guilty All The Same is amazing and I expected this song to have that similar "oomph" and aggression. Like I said, I guess i'm more bothered by Mike's incessant hype (to be fair, he's not going to go out and say the album is weak). It'd be fine if he said they wanted to make a more aggressive record but to passive aggressively call out other artists and release a song that sounds like everything else they've done is kind of lame. I can see how my post implies that I think the album is going to be weak though. I didn't think my post through too well haha.

All of the reviews from the sampler given to some people describe this as a mid tempo track with softer vocals from Chester. So... Idk why everyone in this thread seemed to be expecting a blistering fast paced hardcore song. Just because Mike said the album was heavy didn't mean there was not going to be ANY songs that brought the pace down a bit. Even bands who are known for heavy music usually have at least one slower, softer sounding song.