"Until It's Gone" - Zane Lowe - May 5

Stranger

I'm not really feeling this one. Sounds like your typical by the numbers radio friendly LP song. I think what makes my disappointment worse was all the shit that Mike has been talking in the media. He's been hyping up the record to be loud and aggressive while slamming the music being played on the radio and then they go and release a song like this. I guess it didn't help that LPA hyped this song up to be some grand opus. Mike was right about one thing though, this ain't a Meshuggah or Botch record so far.

I think we should wait to judge the album once we can all listen to it in it's entirety. But anyways, did you really think LP would make an album that was metal? Hard rock is about as far as LP will go in that direction. Going full on metal would piss off a lot of LP fans and the label wouldn't let them most likely, because it wouldn't make Warner enough $$$$. Just saying it how it is.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All we've heard for months now was how hard this record is going to be.....and then they release this. I understand that not every track is going to be heavy, but this is exactly what Mike was saying they were going to get away from.

I find the chorus lyrics are repetitive but Chester's delivery of them are anything but. From the soft singing to the raspy vocals to the screams and the long held "gooooooooone" really keep the lyrics from getting stale.

I especially dig the "battles fought" line added in the final chorus. Kinda wish it was placed throughout the song.

I expected a radio friendly song since it is the first single and that's what it is.

I like it more than BID at first listen but GATS is still better imo. Zero problems with the lyrics because I naturally don't pay much attention to them. If the song as a whole sounds good I couldn't care less about the lyrics.

It kinda sounds like an anthem. Could be a great live song.

I think we should wait to judge the album once we can all listen to it in it's entirety. But anyways, did you really think LP would make an album that was metal? Hard rock is about as far as LP will go in that direction. Going full on metal would piss off a lot of LP fans and the label wouldn't let them most likely, because it wouldn't make Warner enough $$$$. Just saying it how it is.

I am well aware that hell would freeze over before we get anything close to a metal record by the band. However, I think guilty All The Same is amazing and I expected this song to have that similar "oomph" and aggression. Like I said, I guess i'm more bothered by Mike's incessant hype (to be fair, he's not going to go out and say the album is weak). It'd be fine if he said they wanted to make a more aggressive record but to passive aggressively call out other artists and release a song that sounds like everything else they've done is kind of lame. I can see how my post implies that I think the album is going to be weak though. I didn't think my post through too well haha.

I am well aware that hell would freeze over before we get anything close to a metal record by the band. However, I think guilty All The Same is amazing and I expected this song to have that similar "oomph" and aggression. Like I said, I guess i'm more bothered by Mike's incessant hype (to be fair, he's not going to go out and say the album is weak). It'd be fine if he said they wanted to make a more aggressive record but to passive aggressively call out other artists and release a song that sounds like everything else they've done is kind of lame. I can see how my post implies that I think the album is going to be weak though. I didn't think my post through too well haha.

Exactly....all I've heard is how this record is going in a completely different direction than the last few records...and then we get this.

After all the hype, I was definitely not expecting this. I guess I probably didn't like it because I was expecting something heavy, maybe I will like it in a few days. But right now, I think its kind of average and nothing special.

The lyrics are very weak. It's like something I could come up with with my limited English skills.

Also Chester sounds pretty weird in my opinion. I definitely prefer GATS so far.

True, a bit of weak and radio friend words in it.

In my opinion: MTM guitars, radio friend simple words, Mike MPC magic, nothing new, but I like it so much, and a true statement: you dont know what you got until its gone!

I loved the song. I won't equate heaviness or lyrical quality (which is a subjective topic) to the overall rating of the song. The song packs a punch and is overall a great song. Sometimes you have to stop looking at each individual part of a song and take it all in first. Once you've accepted it as a whole and appreciate it for what it is, you can go back and pick at it and completely knock it out.

This is some of your guys'/women's favorite band. It's alright to dislike it upon first listen but don't completely destroy it just yet.

I have to say I like the song. I knew that it wouldn't be as heavy as GATS or many old songs like Papercut or From the Inside, but I have to say Chester sounds very good on this one. Even better than on GATS, he doesn't sounds weak and the chorus is very beautiful

It was a really thought provoking question by Zane Lowe tonight along the lines ""does it feel like the circle has come to a complete". I started thinking might this be the last LP album? What you guys think? They have literally done everything by now.

At least it's not Powerless- soft.

It was a really thought provoking question by Zane Lowe tonight along the lines ""does it feel like the circle has come to a complete". I started thinking might this be the last LP album? What you guys think? They have literally done everything by now.

C'mon man that's ridiculous :D

Edited by Jani

You guys don't remember that someone from the band said that this album has 2 soft tracks?

stop bitching.

We're upset over the misdirection. Visceral, energy, hunting, carnivore, throwing away the pop songs, etc that we've heard for the past month from interviews. Then you get this and it's a little confusing.

Hope so. Chester made great music with DBS and STP. Mike can bring back FM. Everybody wins.

I'm glad I was wrong about thinking the mix was bad from yesterday's clip. I thought the mix was actually really good compared to GATS.

I don't understand why people are upset about it not being as heavy as GATS. We KNEW from the 6- track sampler that this was more of a mid tempo track. It's a single people, and definitely one the most viceral singles LP has released in years.

If this is the "soft" song on THP, then we're in for a real surprise.

What is it with legitimate music videos having lyrics slapped over them nowadays?

Song's alright, hasn't blown me away. Pretty much LP is as LP does. The synth stuff is fun, and Chester's vocals are better on this than GATS. The final screams are an absolute waste, mind.

I started thinking might this be the last LP album? They have literally done everything by now.

No it isn't, and no they haven't.

Edited by Ducko

It blows my mind that we've come to a point in music that "It's a single" could be considered a worthy defense of a song. There's no other genre besides popular music that you will hear that statement thrown around. You don't hear fans of metal, underground hip hop, or classical say "oh well, yeah, I mean, it's a single so what did you expect?"

I don't understand why a lot of you are shitting on the track. It was much better than I expected. It wasn't as heavy as GATS, but we knew it wouldn't be. It isn't much worse lyrically than a lot of other LP songs, and Chester's vocals definitely keep the "repetitive" lyrics from getting old. The instrumental is also great. It's not their best song by any means, but I like it a lot.

I'm glad I was wrong about thinking the mix was bad from yesterday's clip. I thought the mix was actually really good compared to GATS.

I don't understand why people are upset about it not being as heavy as GATS. We KNEW from the 6- track sampler that this was more of a mid tempo track. It's a single people, and definitely one the most viceral singles LP has released in years.

If this is the "soft" song on THP, then we're in for a real surprise.

It is not soft and i don't think that is the complaint most were having. It sounds like all their other shit. This sound could easily slot in between LitE and IMR on Living Things. They had a big PR campaign saying we hate current pop rock and then they go and release this garbage. GatS is a superior song in every way and actually represents their claims.

Also people saying it is radio friendly. Radio friendly now days must mean using no creativity on lyrics and having just plain bad mixing. I know it is rare for LP to make decent lyrics, but this is probably their worst song lyrically since Somewhere i Belong. In fact Hit the Floor has better Lyrics.

Edited by Tweak