"Guilty All The Same" - New Linkin Park Single!

hahninator

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, sorry to be a total dunce but could you explain that more please, what do you mean by crushed and what does that do to the song? I'm not a musician in anyway but still interested to hear/learn about it.

Thank you!

I mean "crushed" as in it's so "loud" that it "clips" the audio and it starts distorting from using compressors/limiters while in the mastering stage. When you compress, you lose dynamics and typically sound quality, but you are able to make the song louder and more in you face without having the listener having to manually turn up the volume.

Everything is so loud in the mix you can barely hear the bass line, but it isn't terrible. It compliments some parts of the song.

The over-compression doesn't surprise me at all, it's been a problem on the last couple of albums. I don't think it affects this song too much, as there's not much in the way of dynamics. It's not nearly at Death Magnetic levels of terrible.

It's funny because honestly this song reminds me A LOT of Metallica. I can see how some people say it reminds them on A7X, but honestly, it reminds me more of Metallica for some reason. Not that it's a bad thing, Metallica is fucking awesome.

Gotta agree with Mark on this; Chester most likely sounds the way he does on this song because his voiced hasn't been auto tuned and processed as much as usual for LP. Mike is all over this thing production wise. And I'm pretty positive this quote from his blog: "this album has been the product of a mix of focused experimentation and free form jamming. We’re even tracking parts to tape instead of going exclusively digital." says a lot about why this song sounds the way it does.

I personally really fucking dig this song, it shits all over Living Things and of course isn't going to be the best off the record. This is a great preview of whats to come. I love this heavier, crunchier sound. Mike was not fucking around when he said he wants rock to be carnivorous again.

"All caps everything" is over. Back to normal capitalization. Guilty All The Same.

This is the greatest day ever. Finally. Changing back all of my LT and LT related stuff back to no caps, I don't see the point in having only one album (two if you count Recharged) in all caps in my music library.

It's funny because honestly this song reminds me A LOT of Metallica. I can see how some people say it reminds them on A7X, but honestly, it reminds me more of Metallica for some reason. Not that it's a bad thing, Metallica is fucking awesome.

Well A7X take a lot of influence from Metallica, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Only just related, but amusing all the same:

I mean "crushed" as in it's so "loud" that it "clips" the audio and it starts distorting from using compressors/limiters while in the mastering stage. When you compress, you lose dynamics and typically sound quality, but you are able to make the song louder and more in you face without having the listener having to manually turn up the volume.

Everything is so loud in the mix you can barely hear the bass line, but it isn't terrible. It compliments some parts of the song.

Thank you for explaining!

On an unrelated note: clearly Mike's look for this album is maroon hoodies and backwards caps.

Amazing, so dark. I would prefer Mike's rap over Rakim's rap here. I kind of miss Chester's screams. Finally their music have real guitar and drum lines. Now they use guitar for something more than just riffs. Drums goes much faster, much more use of snare and bass drum, much oftener cymbal hits than usually.

The preview sucks if we compare it to the song. When I watched the preview I was a bit afraid that there will be no electronic sounds in the song, but hopefully they was there. I think that instrumentally everything got improved. I wonder how it gonna be played live, there's both "Mike instruments" playing, "second most important" or rhythm guitar and piano/synthesizer. And....One thing, I don't know why, this song reminds me of Across The Line.

I believe Rakim makes the track special and stand out. Therefor I am stad to hear it may be cut out in other versions or the video. Really LOVE the rap part and Chester's lyrics are not that much so yeah for Rakim.

Thats my biggest problem with LP. The lyrics. Always the words ' lies ' ' inside' etc

But then they write something like the chorus to W&K, which to me was mindblowing.

I wish lyrically they wuld progress a bit.

Astat covered the guitar and mix aspects of this song well but let me clarify a few things on Chester's vocals. As Mark said earlier, we are used to hearing Chester's vocals be pitch corrected. (Not sure what you meant by "layers" Mark, AutoTune and Melodyne simply shift pitches up or down to be perfectly on the correct note). Now I don't believe they do as much to his vocals as a lot of singers out there but there is something else that is clearly not on the vocal track and that is reverb/delay. Ever wonder why you sound way better when you sing in the shower? It's because the early reflections coming off the tile in a small enclosed space cover up the little inconsistencies in your voice. That's basically reverb. Most vocals have at least a little bit of reverb and often a bit of slap delay as well to create a fuller spacier sound. I hear neither on this song. And I prefer it that way if the goal was to have a raw, natural sounding mix. I expect Chester to be able to NAIL this song live because he doesn't have to try to match an overproduced pitch corrected album track. I'm interested to hear the mix on the rest of this album.