"Guilty All The Same" - New Linkin Park Single!

hahninator

Astat covered the guitar and mix aspects of this song well but let me clarify a few things on Chester's vocals. As Mark said earlier, we are used to hearing Chester's vocals be pitch corrected. (Not sure what you meant by "layers" Mark, AutoTune and Melodyne simply shift pitches up or down to be perfectly on the correct note). Now I don't believe they do as much to his vocals as a lot of singers out there but there is something else that is clearly not on the vocal track and that is reverb/delay. Ever wonder why you sound way better when you sing in the shower? It's because the early reflections coming off the tile in a small enclosed space cover up the little inconsistencies in your voice. That's basically reverb. Most vocals have at least a little bit of reverb and often a bit of slap delay as well to create a fuller spacier sound. I hear neither on this song. And I prefer it that way if the goal was to have a raw, natural sounding mix. I expect Chester to be able to NAIL this song live because he doesn't have to try to match an overproduced pitch corrected album track. I'm interested to hear the mix on the rest of this album.

I hear slight reverb. More reverb wouldn't of done much on these vocals other than accentuate the cracking and strain, and would've only made the mix less solid and sloppy.

I'm assuming he meant layers as in backing vocals, which I agree on. There is a huge absence of them on this song. Notice how much better he sounds with backing vocals on the parts that have them. And I also guarantee these vocals are NOT unedited, there is basic correction throughout. It is simply more raw than we are used to, and I kind of like it.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear slight reverb. More reverb wouldn't of done much on these vocals other than accentuate the cracking and strain, and would've only made the mix less solid and sloppy.

I'm assuming he meant layers as in backing vocals, which I agree on. There is a huge absence of them on this song. Notice how much better he sounds with backing vocals on the parts that have them. And I also guarantee these vocals are NOT unedited, there is basic correction throughout. It is simply more raw than we are used to, and I kind of like it.

I didn't mean to say they were untouched. We are used to LOTS of vocal effects and there are very few used here, but slight pitch correction is certainly likely. I disagree with your thoughts on more verb but that's okay! I like the song too!

I'm talking about taking either the same take of the vocal and layering or different takes and layering it. Like 3+ vocal tracks. This sounds like just 1 by him. Listen to their acapellas, you'll see what I mean.

Absolutely, I thought you were referring to layers as something to do with autotune haha.

I just ran the song through Audacity to learn some of the guitar parts, and I noticed the wavelength is CRUSHED all to hell. I understand the genre needs to be in your face and loud, but I just hope this album doesn't fall victim to the Loudness war; however, nothing can get as bad as Break The Cycle by Staind.

I love Break the Cycle personally!

Wow I like this. I don't love it, I don't dislike it. Rakim on this song is crazy, I wish his vocals were louder honestly. Something seems off with the piano intro. Other than that I'm happy with Chesters vocals

Really? The Piano is probably my favorite part in this song, or one of anyways

I swear to god, if this is just going to be another bait and switch like MTM...

I bet this song isn't even the heaviest song on the album being the lead single.

Edited by Jani

I think these comments are funny. Of course none of us will all be happy with a song. I bet if I were to randomly poll 5 members of LPL I'd get 5 different responses for favorite songs/albums. And I think that's great!

I love this track though. I don't need Chester screaming in this to make it sound great. Plus like Mark was saying THANK YOU FOR NOT OVERPRODUCING CHESTER! If this is Mike's work then I never want another producer doing their music again. Some of my top songs on my iPod are live version of Chester. I enjoy his actual voice so much more than the studio versions.

And like LPPanther said, Chester will probably nail this live since his voice hasn't been tampered with as much.

I like the 6 min song much more than the radio edit. From a few listens they seemed to cut Rakim's part and one line of "Guilty all the same" from the chorus. Lame that radios won't play the whole thing.

Heard the track a couple times and like the heavy direction. Rakim's rap doesn't do much for me, and although it's a different vocal approach for Chaz, his voice sounds shot. Maybe that's what they were going for. Either way excited to hear new LP and pre-ordered the official download on iTunes for midnight :)

You are probably refering to the intro of the unmastered demo of ATL. Sounds similar to me too.

Instrumentally the intro of the unmastered demo of ATL with extended intro, is identical to the bridge of the "normal" ATL. But I wasn't referring only to this part of ATL, I think both songs contain much similarities. The part of the song I was least referring to was the beginning. Bridge and ending seems to be the most similar to the song. Vocal use, guitar tuning, drum play in bridge (of ATL), piano, some electronic effects and some melody elements seems to be similar.

Whole album seems to be heavy, if the first single is heavy it may mean the whole album will be heavy. One Step Closer, first single of HT, as heavy as the album. Somewhere I Belong, Meteora was heavier than that. What I've Done and The Catalyst showed the albums the way they were. Burn It Down, softer/more "poppy" than the album.

^

Sure, in hindsight, you can call What I've Done softer, but at the time when it came out, no one was expecting a slower album from LP, so everyone kind of put WID on the same level as Numb and Pushing Me Away, as the softer/more poppy song of the album.

Edited by Projektion

I swear to god, if this is just going to be another bait and switch like MTM...

this song is probably the softest heavy song on the album. Or most poppy anyways being the first single.

Chester said we would crap our pants hearing the rest of the album!

Edited by Bliss

After listening 10 times or so, with and without headphones, I think it's ok. Not bad. Not amazing. Just ok. As of now, I'd score it a 7.5/10. It's obviously going to get high praise online though for it being heavier than most of their more recent material.

Can't fault them for not trying new things. 1min30sec intro (longest ever?). Vocals from another artist. Damn bold.

The song is actually not as heavy as I thought it would be. I agree with people describing it as aggressive and in your face rather than heavy. And this song is going to be amazing live (think about the moshes).

I've always liked the lead singles more than most. I thought WID was one of the best songs on M2M. I thought The Catalyst was one of the better songs on ATS. And yes, I even thought BID was one of the better songs on LT. For me, this is the first time in a while where I don't think the lead single will be among the best songs.

Frankly, the song just sounds bland at certain parts for a single. And a bit too similar to other songs I've heard from other bands in the same/similar genre.

I understand Rakim is viewed as a legend. But someday, I think Mike will be also. I believe Mike could have delivered something as good or better during his part. Instead of Rakim's part, I would have loved to hear a 30 second rapping bridge by Mike and then a 30 second solo by Brad. Yes, the standout parts by Brad on the outro are awesome (albeit a bit similar to some of his recent live outros for Faint, etc), but I believe he could have cooked up something even better during Rakim's part (a la In Pieces).

The real positive that I take away from this song is what it potentially means for the album. LT started to bring back the energy and more prominent guitar parts into the mix that weren't really there on ATS. GATS continues that trend. The rawness in production is closer to M2M. That's exciting. I've been waiting a long time to hear Brad do what I thought he would do after M2M which is take his guitar playing to another level. Based on GATS, sounds like that's still a possibility. So from an instrumental standpoint, I love GATS. I just think from a songwriting/melodic perspective, there will be better songs on this album.

It turns out Mike wasn't just blowing smoke. He's serious about wanting to revive Rock music in a down time. I hope the band pulls it off in a way that only they can do.

Lastly, if this song is indeed an indication of the direction of the album, I expect to see some ex fans or old fair-weather fans who haven't been paying attention for the last few albums popping up again.

Lastly, if this song is indeed an indication of the direction of the album, I expect to see some ex fans or old fair-weather fans who haven't been paying attention for the last few albums popping up again.

Oh fuck. That could be good or bad. Depends on who it is.