I was looking through the Stagelight Sounds list and saw this:

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED SONGS

Castle Of Glass

Catharsis

Divided

Lies Greed Misery

Pale

Roads Untraveled

There's no chance these are separated out is there? As in if I wanted to use, say, the piano in Pale. Are the tracks separated?

(I apologize if this has been asked and answered already)

Edited by Justin

I was looking through the Stagelight Sounds list and saw this:

PREVIOUSLY RELEASED SONGS

Castle Of Glass

Catharsis

Divided

Lies Greed Misery

Pale

Roads Untraveled

There's no chance these are separated out is there? As in if I wanted to use, say, the piano in Pale. Are the tracks separated?

(I apologize if this has been asked and answered already)

Just like nearly everything released with Stagelight (Bruiser/Space Station/Complementary excluded), they aren't full multitracks but just random samples from certain songs. There are various samples of the shaker/bell noises from the Roads Untraveled intro, a sample of a clicking noise from Pale, a bunch of effected cymbals/drum machine samples from Lies Greed Misery, etc...each sample is like, a second long, if that.

The guy on the right side of Chester is Jay Baumgardner.

EDIT: The pic came up in my google search for Jay, on the far right is DJ Z-Trip, it's from the mixing of Shifting Gears in 2005. It's not a band, the guy on the left is Mark Kiczula, an engineer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...e=1&theater

Ahh.. thanks! I never would have figured that out. Awesome pic.

Is QWERTY considered as a song that was NOT written for MTM?

LPA wiki says:

However, "QWERTY" was not really written and recorded for Minutes to Midnight, it was always going to be a B Side, the band had written that while in sound check on the Meteora tour.

On the other hand in this interview -

Mike says that they wrote a handful of heavy songs for MTM, which did not make the cut at the end of the day, and he mentions playing one of them at the show in Japan, meaning QWERTY.

So when he said that the songs "didn't make the cut" I suppose it means that it WAS written for MTM.

Or am I mistaken and it was always considered as a song that WAS written for MTM in the first place?

Is QWERTY considered as a song that was NOT written for MTM?

LPA wiki says:

However, "QWERTY" was not really written and recorded for Minutes to Midnight, it was always going to be a B Side, the band had written that while in sound check on the Meteora tour.

On the other hand in this interview -

Mike says that they wrote a handful of heavy songs for MTM, which did not make the cut at the end of the day, and he mentions playing one of them at the show in Japan, meaning QWERTY.

So when he said that the songs "didn't make the cut" I suppose it means that it WAS written for MTM.

Or am I mistaken and it was always considered as a song that WAS written for MTM in the first place?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the story was Phoenix brought the main verse riff Idea into the rehearsals where they all worked on it. Mike was working out the drum pattern on keyboard. Mike and Chester also wrote the lyrics on the plan ride to Japan where they debuted it.

I'm sure it was in one of those iTunes extended LPTV episodes which I cant find :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the story was Phoenix brought the main verse riff Idea into the rehearsals where they all worked on it. Mike was working out the drum pattern on keyboard. Mike and Chester also wrote the lyrics on the plan ride to Japan where they debuted it.

I'm sure it was in one of those iTunes extended LPTV episodes which I cant find :(

The episode called "Japan '06":

We're really excited about new album, we wrote over 100 songs. We actually playing a new song tonight, which is not one of those 100 songs.

Personally, I never considered QWERTY as MTM song (except than era-wise).
was later reworked into QWERTY, but it's still Write-Recored-Play song.

Your first mistake was quoting the LPA wiki haha.

I think it was never intended for MTM. There was one interview, I can't remember which one, where Mike said he kinda regretted playing the song cause it made everyone think MTM is going to be super heavy, which set up wrong expectations for the album direction.

They wrote a ton of songs for the album. They were rehearsing for Japan, Phoenix brought an idea in, and they wrote QWERTY and played it. It wasn't a seed for the album. After the tour, they recorded it and Rick told them to change some stuff. Then it was put on the LPU CD. QWERTY wasn't ever seriously considered for MTM. They luckily were able to come up with a brand new song to play live, and that's what its purpose was - to be a new song for the 2006 tour.

Grecian is a totally different demo. It wasn't completed. QWERTY is not Grecian.

Yes I remember that interview with Mike about him saying he kind of regrets them playing it, haha.

1. Grecian is in 6/8. QWERTY is in 4/4. Totally different song ideas. Rob confirmed that Grecian was the song they quit working on in favor of QWERTY.

2. QWERTY WAS in consideration for Minutes to Midnight at some point, Mike confirmed that in one of the LPU chats: http://lphahn.diandian.com/post/2008-04-01/40030476645

"mshinoda says to (19:21): we didn’t write QWERTY “for” japan…we were writing it for the album. i don’t know if we’ll ever debut another song live…maybe!"

Also, I think the fact that they came back and recorded a proper studio version/re-worked the song arrangement AFTER Summer Sonic is enough circumstantial evidence to support that as well, even without Mike's confirmation.

Also, LOL @ Mark saying QWERTY wasn't an MTM seed when the Mike quote I just posted was in response to a question he asked. :lol:

Edited by Astat