World Premiere of New Divide on KROQ 5/18/2009

Jen

straight from another forum:

"So far it just sounds like What I've Done with less rigid drumming and a cool sounding guitar lead played over it."

"If you sing the chorus of What I've Done to this song, it fits perfectly."

musically it's basicly the same as "what i've done". it has a different lead melody, but that's it. just listen to the bass on both songs. im not quite sure about the actual notes, but the progression is identical. im sorry to burst any bubbles.

hopefully the vocals and the rest of the song will rescue it from epic failure

The bass progression should not surprise you

we all know that Phi is just a generic bass player, he will never blow your mind, he's the less skilled member in the band..

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we all know that Phi is just a generic bass player, he will never blow your mind, he's the less skilled member in the band..

I dunno, his playing in Tasty Snax was a bit more than "generic." LP tends to go for good, simple music instead of complicated things when it isn't necessary.

As for this song, the chord progression is similar, yeah, and the tempo is almost the same.

However, if you are SERIOUSLY complaining about the fact that your favorite band just made a new song with a similar chord progression/tempo as another one of their songs, you just must be having a bad day. Nit-picky much?

Do me a favor and do a little research on Phi before you post on how good of a player he is. It is true that LP songs are very simplistic in their bass lines, that does not mean that he is a "generic" player...

pic

Holy epicness... This video is gonna pwn!

Do me a favor and do a little research on Phi before you post on how good of a player he is. It is true that LP songs are very simplistic in their bass lines, that does not mean that he is a "generic" player...

LP had some good bass lines in the EP-HT times the heavy bass of Carousel its pretty good, i love the Forgotten bass lines too..

the only interesting stuff that i've heard from Phi in the last 5 years was Wake

LP had some good bass lines in the EP-HT times the heavy bass of Carousel its pretty good, i love the Forgotten bass lines too..

the only interesting stuff that i've heard from Phi in the last 5 years was Wake

Point taken, but if that's the case then you could conceivably claim that Shinoda has been weak lately with his lyrics because of the lack of him on vocals on Minutes to Midnight.

We can't knock Phi's skill playing the bass if the only outlet he's got is limited to what the rest of the band is doing. And let's be honest here - how many fans are going to pick up the bass line in most tracks? That's why we've long joked that he nearly completely disappeared for Meteora... Couldn't hear him all that much, but he was certainly there.

Here is the first verse from the song when you pause it at :31

MEGATRON/NEW DIVIDE

V1

I remember[ed] black skies/ the lighting all[cannot see the rest of the verse]

I remember[ed] each flash/ as time began[cannot see the rest of the verse]

Like a starting[?] sign[?]/ that fate had finally[cannot see the rest of the verse]

In not so many words

It looks like a rap to me, maybe mike has a vocal part in this song.

Here is the first verse from the song when you pause it at :31

MEGATRON/NEW DIVIDE

V1

I remember[ed] black skies/ the lighting all[cannot see the rest of the verse]

I remember[ed] each flash/ as time began[cannot see the rest of the verse]

Like a starting[?] sign[?]/ that fate had finally[cannot see the rest of the verse]

In not so many words

It looks like a rap to me, maybe mike has a vocal part in this song.

If you read the plethora of replies and tweets from Chester, they said its just chester singing. No Mike

Neil converted the time from the Kevin & Bean show, to Eastern coast Australian time, if you want to listen online to KROQ. Australian radio stations could play it anytime, so we don't know.

Yes i did firstly but my second edit was after i contacted my local radio station and they confirmed to me that they WILL be playing the new Linkin Park song on MONDAY so before all you US kids.

You think it will be the same for Nova 969 In Sydney??? around what time?

EDIT: How did you find out. was it on a site or something. I wouldn't mind doing some research and ring up stations.

Nova seems to do the same thing all over the place so guess so. just shoot them an email or even call in. (its best to call into the station and not the radio hosts tho)

That's not right at all. He is generic yes. But he is not not the less skilled member in the band, he just knows what bass playing fits LP and that's not flashy bassplaying.

If you hear his work on Tasty Snax you will realise that he is a pretty awesome bassplayer, it sounds very fast and very skilled. I have a feeling he knows his way around the frets of a guitar/bass better than any other member of the band.

Edited by Fleur de Lys

No, Dave isn't very bad bass player - listen to Tasty Snax songs, you will hear lots of bass. But LP not allows him to show what he can do... That SUCKS...

For me, this song is VERY VERY BAD... it sounds just like unsuccessful copy of WID... Ok, I can't say it, because I didn't hear full song, but I think that my opinion not gonna change...

Posted Image

MEGATRON / NEW DIVIDE

V1

I rememberedblack skies / the lighting all...

I remembered each flash / as time began to

Like a starting sign / that fate had finally found

In not so many words

Lyric screen! Haha check it out

I guess it was called Megatron and then New Divide? Cool

Megatron is one of the characters in Transformers. One of the many interpolations in the movie will probably be "Megatron's Theme" or whatever. There'll probably be an Optimus Prime theme as well, etc.

For some reason the snippet on transformersmovie.com has the pitch of the song changed. I'm not sure why that happened.

And someone said "if you sing the chorus of What I've Done over the music it fits perfectly." All that means is New Divide is in the same key as What I've Done. It doesn't mean it's a ripoff, you could do the same thing with a bunch of other LP song combinations I'm sure.

And what did you guys expect for a super-popular movie soundtrack? Something sounding like A Place For My Head? I love how it sounds.

Yeah, the one in the trailer is a little fast. The song's in the key of F minor, but the one in the trailer is just a little sharp, it's above F but below F#.

FYI, What I've Done is not in the same key as New Divide, WID is in G minor.

Phoenix didn't play on the Hybrid Theory EP...

this is full instrumental version of New Divide!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxGI7BNShc...PL&index=42

*facepalm* No.

Edited by Astat