One More Light Album

hahninator

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album makes me want to hunt chipmunks.

7db0f58591d2b2a9d1dc05b03e23eb8d6ec6f94f

:lol:

I think the problem is this songs are soooooooooo personal. it's like you should be in mike/chester situation to truly understand it.

I hope they play all of them in live shows.

Am I the only one who think chester's voice in sharp edges looks like a female vocalist?! :P

I'm going to forgo my traditional song-by-song review for now and just say the following:

-Invisible and Talking to Myself are good songs (although the live version of Talking to Myself absolutely DESTROYS the studio version).

-Good Goodbye and Heavy are both still trash.

-Of the remaining six songs, five of them have a general consistency to them of having some really interesting sounds contained within them, but being rather forgettable because the songwriting just isn't up to par. Sorry for Now has one of Mike's best vocal performances and some really cool guitar sounds, Sharp Edges is one of the more immediately "different" sounding songs LP has ever done, Halfway Right has some really cool stuff like the tubular bell samples that show up in the last chorus...but behind the cool sounds, where are the songs? Lots of stuff that would probably be relegated to filler territory on other albums, and this is completely independent of the pop sound, I could take or leave that (all things considered, this album still manages to sound more like Linkin Park than I expected...it's just not necessarily GREAT Linkin Park).

However...any mixed feelings I have about the rest of the album can be put aside for the fact that this album gave us the song One More Light. Or even more personally, it gave ME the song One More Light. I'll defend that song to death, and fuck you if you hate it because I guarantee you haven't spent the last two years feeling like half of a person because your dad was the only person in your family you were still close to, but he died from cancer before you ever got the chance to make him a grandpa, so you tried time and time again to write a song about it because music is the only thing you've ever been good at so how else would you cope, but the words just never came out right...only for this song to come along and say everything you've been trying to say all along.

Not that a lot of you guys really "know" me (I'm an intentionally impersonal dick online for a reason, after all), but if you do, you know that I don't tend to be emotionally affected by lyrics...music, sure, I'm a sucker for great harmonies and well-executed key changes and stuff that'll give me goosebumps, but I'm a pretty emotionally bottled-up headcase otherwise. But fuck it, I've healed to some extent from hearing that song, and I'm not ashamed to say I've cried like a baby about it every time I've listened to it so far.

I'm going to forgo my traditional song-by-song review for now and just say the following:

-Invisible and Talking to Myself are good songs (although the live version of Talking to Myself absolutely DESTROYS the studio version).

-Of the remaining six songs, five of them have a general consistency to them of having some really interesting sounds contained within them, but being rather forgettable because the songwriting just isn't up to par. Sorry for Now has one of Mike's best vocal performances and some really cool guitar sounds, Sharp Edges is one of the more immediately "different" sounding songs LP has ever done, Halfway Right has some really cool stuff like the tubular bell samples that show up in the last chorus...but behind the cool sounds, where are the songs? Lots of stuff that would probably be relegated to filler territory on other albums, and this is completely independent of the pop sound, I could take or leave that (all things considered, this album still manages to sound more like Linkin Park than I expected...it's just not necessarily GREAT Linkin Park).

However...any mixed feelings I have about the rest of the album can be put aside for the fact that this album gave us the song One More Light. Or even more personally, it gave ME the song One More Light. I'll defend that song to death, and fuck you if you hate it because I guarantee you haven't spent the last two years feeling like half of a person because your dad was the only person in your family you were still close to, but he died from cancer before you ever got the chance to make him a grandpa, so you tried time and time again to write a song about it because music is the only thing you've ever been good at so how else would you cope, but the words just never came out right...only for this song to come along and say everything you've been trying to say all along.

Not that a lot of you guys really "know" me (I'm an intentionally impersonal dick online for a reason, after all), but if you do, you know that I don't tend to be emotionally affected by lyrics...music, sure, I'm a sucker for great harmonies and well-executed key changes and stuff that'll give me goosebumps, but I'm a pretty emotionally bottled-up headcase otherwise. But fuck it, I've healed to some extent from hearing that song, and I'm not ashamed to say I've cried like a baby about it every time I've listened to it so far.

BEST COMMENT EVER. Seriously.

Sorry to post off-topic but would like to comment in case no-one knows, but yesterday after performing a show with Soundgarden in Detriot, frontman Chris Cornell passed away, the cause of death is currently unknown. He will be missed dearly :(.

I love this album. TTM is the fav till now. Followed by SFN,OML,GG and Invisible. Heavy is my least favorite but its alright. 9.5/10.

LT>ATS>OML>MTM>HT=Meteora>THP. And i like all the albums except some tracks which are alright but i do no listen to them often.

Saying shit like "this band needs to disband" or "I think/hope this is the end of LP" is not discussion in any manner.

It's my opinion, brossef. I think we'd get better music from Chester with STP/DBS or whatever solo project he wanted to do and Mike would certainly do better stuff with FM. A break like they had after Meteora would allow side projects to happen again. That's my wish. If you don't like it, too bad.

I'm glad OML could help you heal. Burning in the Skies had a similar effect for me.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

Im lost my dad too two years ago and Im here only because my best friend help me a lot to go through it, so One More Light is hit me really hard and Ive cried every time Im listen to it Edited by stich

I just finished listening for the first time, and I'm shocked. In the best way possible. Listening to this album front to back is something special. One More Light got me really emotional. I do agree that they needed to pick different songs to release before the album (other than Heavy that killed it in the charts). From now on I just hope it has good replay value for me (unlike THP that got worn out very quickly).

Edited by Mesck547

I just finished listening for the first time, and I'm shocked. In the best way possible. Listening to this album front to back is something special. One More Light got me really emotional. I do agree that they needed to pick different songs to release before the album (other then Heavy that killed it in the charts). From now on I just hope it has good replay value for me (unlike THP that got worn out very quickly).

I agree. One More Light hit me even harder in the context of the entire album, because you spend 8 songs hearing all this production and layering, and then suddenly all of that falls away and you have this beautifully stripped down song, with some of the most emotional lyrics to ever be in an LP song. It's beautiful.

This album is easily one of my favorites. It's risky as hell. Every other album had "comfort tracks" like Bleed It Out, Wretches and Kings, Lost In The Echo, Wastelands..but this album's only potential "dis her is da r3al LP" song is Good Goodbye which is actually more experimental than the songs I have listed.

Linkin Park just released an album with 1 rap verse from Mike and absolutely no screaming. Even A Thousand Suns had screaming and multiple rap verses, not to mention 3 or 4/9 full length songs on that album had somewhat of a radio acceptable structure (Burning In The Skies, Wretches, Iridescent, Messenger)

Sorry For Now is already a classic, Halfway Right and Sharp Edges really showcase Chester's awesome vocal range outside of angst and screaming, and there is not one song I wouldn't listen to again.

Disclaimer: this album is not for those who still watch Dragon Ball Z anime music videos with Crawling in the background.

Edited by Sonic

Ok listening now:

(1) Nobody Can Save Me:
- Sounds like a mix between a Peter Andre song and something from High School Musical. 4/10

(2) Good Goodbye:
- The fact that it follows on from NCSM helps a lot... It's not a bad song tbh, but on a strong album it'd be a weak track. Still think it sounds like a Fort Minor song, which is a compliment actually. 6.5/10

(3) Talking To Myself:
- This isn't too bad either to be fair, but again my standards are lowered all around. Sounds like they accidentally released a fan remix at parts, I reckon this will sound awesome live. It doesn't sound super mainstream like other tracks so that's a plus. 7.5/10

(4) Battle Symphony:
- Not a horrible song but just a bit boring... I think the fact that we heard this before the album leaked has dented people's views of it - i.e. at the time we were still really down about the whole direction the album was shaping up to take. Meh, it's fine, not horrible. Lyrics are cheesy. 5/10

(5) Invisible:
- I like Mike singing a lot, band should utilise it more (s/o High Road) but this is another really boring track, too simple, lyrics cheesy... Is this one of the ones Justin Bieber's team wrote? It's not horrible again but just really underwhelming in every way. 4.5/10

(6) Heavy:
- I don't feel like even writing anything for this one. 2/10

(7) Sorry For Now:
- This could give people seizures. The chorus has potential and when I heard it in a promo I was kinda optimistic but I'm not so keen on the execution at all. Oh god they actually said "best things come to those who weight" ffs. 4/10

(8) Halfway Right:
- At least the lyrics are interesting, deep. This doesn't really fit the rest of the album (is that obvious, I recall reading this about one of the tracks, can't remember which honestly). It's one of the better tracks I suppose. 6/10

(9) One More Light:

- Ok, this is a nice song, very emotional, strong lyrics, this is a rare example on the album of the "writing lyrics first" approach being a success for them. Expected a bit more progression though. 7/10

(10) Sharp Edges:
- Has a Ska vibe to it, it's fairly cool I guess, a bit indie, not my type of music but the up-tempo nature of it is welcomed. "what dosn't kill us makes us stronger" ewwwwww. 6/10

CONCLUSION:
I can't really be bothered to work out my average but... Maybe slightly better than I was expecting but my expectations were low.
Favourite Song: Talking To Myself, I like that one!

Edited by hellomoto170

On first listen of the album from start to finish, this album is pretty forgettable. I can't name one song that I wanted to go back and hear again, after finishing this. Maybe something will sink in after a couple of listens, but to the casual observer, I have a feeling it will be easily forgotten.

If it's your cup of tea, that's cool. I'm just not really feeling this release.

The overall album is average at best. I'd say a 5/10. Talking to Myself, Sorry For Now, and One More Light are the album's best tracks, though still nothing memorable. Good Goodbye is the only song with rapping, which is a disappointment. Live drums are almost nonexistent, and like with THP, turntable scratching isn't featured. The instrumentation all kind of blends together. Other then a few good sample beats here and there, nothing sticks out. Though I found the song topics to be honest and genuine, the lyrics are not as good as they could be. I only found the lyrics of One More Light to be something of note due to it's subject matter.

The production of this album overall just feels like it was done in a way that Maroon 5 does their albums. In which, it's just Adam Levine writing and recording with a handful of outside producers and then slapping the Maroon 5 name on it when it's done. In this case, it was Mike, Chester, and often times Brad working with songwriters and having the rest of the group come in when the occasional "gang vocal" is needed. Maybe that wasn't the case here, but that's what it seems to be from all the short making of videos we've seen.

If they're gonna change up the experimentation again for the next album, what I'd like to see happen is the rest of the band (Brad, Rob, Joe, Phoenix, Chester) write the album and have Mike play more of a producer role than a songwriter one. It be interesting to see what kind of songs/album would materialize without Mike fully at the helm. Perhaps this would maybe freshen things up by putting things in a new perspective.

In conclusion, this isn't a bad album, just not one I see people (including myself) talking about in the years to come.

Favorites: Talking to Myself, Sorry for Now, One More Light.

I must say lyrically this album is growing so rapidly on me, a lot of the topics describe what I have been through the last few years.

One of the complaints I've seen has been the simplicitu of the lyrics. As your comment shows though, sometimes simple can be good. Simple, vulnerable, personal.. those are some of the goals I think they had when they wrote these lyrics.

I tried to stay optimistic as LP slowly rolled out what seemed like the entire album, song by song, leading up to today. Given how much LP has truly shaped me musically and as a person, and how much I've loved EVERY album they've released so far, I was secretly holding out hope that the entire album listening experience would magically alture my opinion for the better. Sadly, it's just not happening.

As I'm writing this, I'm just starting my 3rd full run through of the album, and my initial opinions of the potential for the album that we're based off of the songs released prior today are slowly cementing. 1) Nobody Can Save Me suffers from a couple pop cliches; high pitched sampled voices (at least they sound like voices, maybe an instrument?), snapping fingers, clapping. Positives are Chester's singing & sync/keyboard melody throughout the song. Like the guitar layered throughout as well. Can't believe this Adam's favorite LP song ever haha. The song is average. Don't love it, or hate it. Seems like it could have fit back in the MTM/ATS days, and with LPU 9 & 10 demos. 2) I never thought I could ever actually "hate" an LP song, but Good Goodbye just may be the first. Chester's performance just comes off as a typical hook of your everyday rap song featuring a singer on the choruses. Cliche & unoriginal (I'm sure I'll butcher this word by the end of this review, if I haven't already prior to this). Mike delivers a solid verse to start things off, but it just goes down hill from there. Pusha-T's (who I had never heard of prior to this song) wasn't bad, but if you're gonna feature someone vocally on an album track (only the 3rd time ever for LP's studio releases) you'd think they would have delivered more. If not, just have Mike write something better. Apparently he did on the live version? I haven't heard it, because I cannot stand this song so much I refuse to watch it live. Stormzy (another one I hadn't heard of) was just awful. He just felt so wrong and forced into this track. What annoyed me the most? Him mentioning LP in the verse. Typical of rappers I know, but mentioning Linkin Park on a LINKIN PARK album just takes me out of the listening experience a bit. And don't get me started on that fucking chipmunk voice! 3) Talking To Myself surprised me quite a bit. The samples organ felt very natural for the sound of LP, without going too poppy. Mark made a great observation of Brad really being present on this album with his guitar, but not in his usual "loud" fashion. That's very evident on this song, and it works. I also appreciated the bridge & breakdown of the track not repeating th vocals and changing the mood up a bit. All in all, very satiafied with this one. 4) The same can't be said about Battle Symphany. This song was about 10 years too late for being considered a quality LP track. They've done the ballads. They've done the catchy choruses & samples. With this one, it seems like they just recycled the same old shit & threw some military drums in the mix. Nothing about this song screams originality or challenging. Lyrics are forgettable, along with the rest of the song. 5) Invisible is another one that suffers from poor music & song writing. More military drums?!? TWO songs in a row? Come on, at least try to make it seem like you're trying. Only redeemable part of the song for me is Mike's singing, which I always enjoy, except for In Between haha. Lyrics have a great meaning, but they're painfully simple & repetitive. Not bad, but definitely not 2nd single worthy. 6) Now what is there to be said about Heavy that hasn't been said already? Chester sounds awful (yet amazing live, what gives?), but I HAVE to chalk that up to maybe the band wanting to make him sound strained for the purpose of the song. Otherwise, why not a better vocal take? This one is the biggest "pop" song on the record, hands down. The music sounds like it was put together on a drum machine and keyboard, with a little Brad layering thrown in. Kiiara is by far the best part of this song, which I feel is the problem. It sounds like one of her songs featuring Chester, and not the other way around. 6 songs in, and it feels like Joe, Dave & Rob just phoned it in, sadly. Not their fault, but this album makes mefeel like they only recorded their parts just to be included. 7) So I read in early album reviews that Sorry For Now had LP channeling their inner Owl City, but I had no idea they were actually featured on the track?!? I kid, but sadly I kind of don't. Anyway. Another solid vocal performance by Mike. I really liked the "fuck you, deal with it" undertone of the lyrics. Yes, I know he's talking to his family and not actually telling them to fuck off, but you get the vibe that he's telling them they're not in his shoes and couldn't truly understand what he's doing until they did. I hated that they buried his vocals in the final chorus. Seems like he really put some power behind his voice there and it drowned under the musical noise and Chester's backing vocals. This song is catchy, but that isn't always a good thing. The crazy electronic breakdown scattered throughout the song threw me for quite the loop. Different? Yeah, but being different for the sake of being different doesn't always work. I feel like my opinion of this song will change with more listens. 8) Now comes the other contender for worst song LP has ever written. Halfway Right suffers from just about every cliche known to man. Forgettable beat and rhythm, cheesy melody, poorly written lyrics. The "woooohhhs" and "na na na nas" were the icing on the cake. If one positive thing could be said about the album up until this point, they all "sound" like Linkin Park. Hell, even Heavy can pass on a good day. This turd of a song doesn't even sound like LP. Feel like they copy and pasted Chester's vocals over a sample drum beat from a Casio keyboard. The first time I heard this song I wanted to punch a wall. That doesn't happen often when I listen to music. 9) One More Light (more appropriately The Only Light) is the one song on this album that doesn't feel like it's forcing a sound down your throat or trying to sound like something that's already been done a thousand times. It's a truly beautiful song, with a heart wrenching message. Anyone who has lost someone important to them (I, losing my father 2 years go) and felt that bottomless pit of grief can't help but feel that tightness in your chest when you listen to this song. It opens your eyes to the reality of how small our world really is, and at the same time how big of a hole left behind when that one light finally goes out. 10) I always thought The Messenger would go down as the worst album closer LP would ever release, but damn did Sharp edges prove me wrong. What ISN'T wrong about this song? Someone compared this song to having a country vibe, but I see it more as folk music. This song goes absolutely no where in a hurry. The lyrics are so bad when I first heard this I fought the urge to throw my Bose headphones across the room. This song belonged at a campfire, not closing a Linkin Park album. I honestly think this song has more of a place on Mmm Cookies Vol 2 than on an actual studio release.

When it was all said and done, I truly was disappointed with One More Light. There are a couple bright spots, but for the most part I felt like I was picking apart the songs in an attempt to find just pieces of them that I enjoyed, which is a horrible way to appreciate a song. One More Light suffers from two problems, where all of their previous albums suffered from one or the other. The album doesn't benefit from listening to it from beginning to end, like you would A Tnousand Suns or Minutes To Midnight. Those albums truly excelled as a single musical endeavor. It feels like a bunch of scattered songs on shuffle. The other problem is the album doesn't hold up as a collection of songs either. It doesn't have enough standout songs to warrant a comparison to their previous works that had stellar songs but maybe had some fillers and didn't flow like a complete album. Highlights are Talking To Myself, Sorry For Now and One More Light, if I'm reaching for a top 3. Shit list are Good Goodbye, Halfway Right and Sharp Edges. The ones in between have a better chance of falling towards the bottom, but that could change with more listens. All in all, it truly is disappointing to wait nearly 3 years for a record from your favorite band, only to be let down like this. The tour doesn't bring the excitement and incentive to see new music live, and since they're unlikely to bring back quality jams, it depresses more knowing we probably have another 3 year wait ahead of us...

Edited by Erockk2121

Just listened to it for the first time. I haven't listened to any of the singles or anything until it released today and after listening that was a great decision for me.

Writing this as I listen for a second time.

First, I'm always going to be a fan of clean Chester lyrics. He has an amazing voice that I think LP tends to misuse.

This doesn't sound like a LP album to me and I think it's because they had so many outside people involved, and they didn't focus on the music first, which is the biggest fault of this album for me.

Also WTF were they thinking releasing Heavy as the first single (or creating it as a song).

Anyways here's my song review.

Nobody can save me 3/10

This is a great song to set expectation for the album, but not in a good way. Chester sounds great, but wow the music is so meh. Real forgettable song.

Good goodbye 4/10

Better than NCSM and I mean Chester. Never a fan of guests on the album songs (except Daron on Rebellion). If Mike did the whole song I'd like it more.

Talking to myself 9/10

I LOVE IT. I finally really hear the rest of the band. Man I wonder they've been doing for this album cycle. I'm excited to see reviews that say it's even better live. I feel like this is more of a unique song. I can't wait to hear it live. This should have been the first single.

Battle symphony 5/10

The music is killing this album for me. This would have been a great album to do all acoustic except Talking to Myself.

Invisible 4/10

Mike singing I always have mixed feelings. I love No Roads Left, but always skip In Between. It sounds weird from the rest of the album because for ONCE Chester is mixed so clean, but Mike isn't here for me. It's ok but another In Between for me.

Heavy 3/10

WTF Is this? I really dislike the intro. The chorus is ok, but a dumb choice for a single. Kiiara sounds nice, but please no guests on the next album. This song doesn't sound like the rest of the album for me. Least favorite of the Album, but I'll say I don't think I ever agree with LPs choice of lead single except What I've Done.

Sorry for now 6/10

See this one falls on the No Roads spectrum for me. But the weird chipmunk noise would have had me skipping if I wasn't listening to this as a whole. I like Chester doing the rap, but UGH why the effect on his voice.

Halfway right 5/10

The bits without minimal music and just Chester trick me into liking this one haha. I just don't get the thought process behind the music on this album. It's even more disappointing when um you consider how long they spent on this album.

One more light 9/10

This should have been the closer. And I think this is a good one is again good because of the lack of music. If this had been an acoustic album this would be a whole different ballgame.

Sharp edges 7/10

I like this one for at least sounding kinda unique. Third favorite of the album, but not what I would have picked for the closer. This is what I would expect from a LP pop experiment. And minimal music is what is working for me this album.

One More Light Album 5.5/10 (4am math so I'll double check when I get sleep)

Albums ranking: Meteora (10/10), ATS (9/10), Hybrid Theory (9/10), MTM (8.5/9), The Hunting Party (7/10), OML (5.5/10), Living Things (4/10)

TL:DR Chester sounded great, but that doesn't make up for bad music behind him, Should have been a acoustic album, never should have released Heavy especially as the lead single, Talking to Myself, One More Light, Sharp Edges are the only songs going on my LP Playlist, and I would have rather had the STP/Chester album than this.

Bring on LP 8. Please be better than the last 3. *sigh*

After listening to the album about 10+ times now, I really like it. My top 5 are Nobody Can Save Me, Sorry For Now, One More Light, Talking To Myself, and Halfway Right. The rest of the album is a decent effort. I only don't like Heavy and I am growing tired of Good Goodbye fast. I can't believe they used those songs to promote the album when there is much better work to be shown off. I also really wish there was at least 2-3 songs with Mike rapping. Alas, I like it overall... probably because I can relate to a lot of the songs. Battling alcoholism, battling past demons, and coping with recent deaths in the family... I relate super hard to this album.

Edited by Casey27

This album is way better than The Hunting Party. I'm happy with it. I wish this wasn't promoted so heavily as a pop album because it gives everyone a free word to use against it.

0hmyg0d s0 gener1c dis album is top 40 sell0ut musik although in the end and numb r clearly n0t pop songs

In today's age, we often forget to help ourselves. We are so wrapped up in the world and the problems that others face that we forget about our own, leaving them to grow and fester as we continue to neglect them. At some point, they envelop us, and take us to places where all the light is gone.

Sometimes the best way to heal ourselves when we find ourselves drowning is to have a conversation. It can be hard, however, to say the thousands of thoughts in your mind when you have so few words to explain them with. That's where Linkin Park comes in with their new album. This band has faced it all, been through thick and thin, and don't want us all falling down to the places they did. On their new record, they focussed on the lyrics which were born out of conversations they had with each other about life. With the help of some of music's best writers, Linkin Park reminds us that we are all human in One More Light.

Before discussing the impact of the record's message, the sound has to be addressed. Since the release of the album's lead single, the band has been receiving a lot of flack for the poppier approach to the new music. Instead of defending or opposing the sound, I'll provide a question, so you can answer yourself: at what point does genre equate to quality? That is to say, when does the style of music deem how good or bad a song is? What is really important in a song? Once you've answered these questions, be prepared to tackle a whole world of sounds that is available to you.

My full review (approved by Mike Shinoda!) is here.