One More Light Album

hahninator

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who normally doesn't listen to pop at all, I liked this album more than I expected, especially after hearing it a few times. I really like Talking to Myself, Battle Symphony, and Invisible. I was impressed by Mike's performance in Sorry For Now, and it might be my favourite if not for the annoying "chipmunk" vocals. Halfway Right, Heavy, and Nobody Can Save Me are all pretty good, I'll need to see what I think after a few more listens. I heard Good Goodbye once and that was more than enough for me, it's probably in the running for my least favourite LP song.

Edited by iPodwithnomusic

Alright, here's my in-depth review so Y'ALL CAN STOP BUGGING ME ABOUT IT THE ALBUM HASN'T EVEN BEEN OUT FOR A DAY HERE YET JEEZ. :lol:

Nobody Can Save Me - 7.5/10
This and Talking to Myself are probably the two most conventionally "Linkin Park-sounding" songs on the record. In terms of energy, I think Talking to Myself would be a better album opener than this, but this would probably be my second choice. This one gets lots of comparisons to Battle Symphony and while I think there are some definite similarities in structure, this song's got more interesting stuff going on with the instrumentation. I think a more well-developed bridge would have helped this song tremendously, although I do like how the bridge re-appears vocally at the end of the song to serve as an outro.

Good Goodbye - 3/10
Still can't get past the cringeworthy "hoes" line in Stormzy's verse and just how bad the two guest rap verses are in general. If they swapped Stormzy out with Mike's original last verse that he does on the live version, I'd at least bump this up a couple points, but there's still not a whole lot to like about this either way. The chorus is the worst on the album, the instrumentation isn't really that exciting...easily one of my least favorite Linkin Park tracks. At least the music video is fucking hilarious.

Talking to Myself - 8/10
That lead guitar line is catchy as hell! Really like the echoed/effected vocal lines in the verses, the acoustic guitar showing up in the bridge and outro is a nice touch, and Chester sounds really good on this one. My only gripe about this song is that the live version brings so much more energy to the table, the studio version just seems to drag a little. Not nearly as drastic of a live vs. studio difference as say, Lost in the Echo or Bleed it Out, but still noteworthy.

Battle Symphony - 7/10
Basically take everything I said about Nobody Can Save Me and apply it to a slightly more generic-sounding song, and that's about what I have to say about Battle Symphony. There are a TON of guitar tracks buried in the mix on this one, I wish they were brought out more...geting some flashbacks to the horrible mixing on Living Things with this song, and that's never a good thing. Still, good melody throughout this one, and an overall really pleasant-sounding musical soundscape.

Invisible - 8/10
I guess I'm in the minority in that I like this more than Sorry for Now. I like how it's an uplifting song in a major key that still manages to have some really dark-sounding musical elements to it. The guitar part that comes in during the last chorus is just perfect. Brad doesn't play a lot of complicated stuff but he's always been incredibly good at knowing what to play and when. The little music box-like outro is really cool too, wish they included that in the live version.

Heavy - 4/10
I still feel pretty much the same about this song as I did when it came out. I don't like Chester's singing on this, to the point that it's almost a relief when Kiiara's verse comes in. This would have worked way better as a song on her album that Mike produced or something. The vocal production on this track is absolutely stellar (check out the acapella), but it's still just a generic, poorly-written song with very little substance to it.

Sorry for Now - 7.5/10
While I like Invisible better, I will say that this song has the better vocal performance from Mike. In fact, I think it's the best all-around vocal performance of his career. Chester's bridge on this kind of comes across as a second-rate imitation of Mike's bridge on Waiting for the End, it seems kind of forced, like they just HAD to have Chester on this song for whatever reason. Also, the mixing on this song takes a HUGE downturn during the last chorus - where do the vocals go? The volume of the vocals drops drastically as soon as all of the other instruments come in. It literally sounds like somebody accidentally bumped the master fader with all the vocals on it while they were doing the mixdown. HUGE head-scratcher. Anyway I generally like the song, I think the idea of all of the jumbled-up synth and guitar samples being stitched together into a new musical idea that happens a couple times in this song was a cool idea, it just wasn't as well-executed as it could have been.

Halfway Right - 6/10
Most filler-sounding track on the album for sure. There are times when "na-na's" and "whoa-oh's" work (see: Roads Untraveled, When They Come for Me), but they just don't work here, probably because it's the only song on the album that has them, which almost makes it seem like they never finished the song. I WANT to like this song because it has some of my favorite instrumental stuff on the album in it (those tubular bell samples in the last chorus are AMAZING), but I just have an overwhelming sense of indifference every time I listen to this one, and it hasn't grown on me.

One More Light - 10/10
Unquestionably the best ballad of Linkin Park's career. It's the most emotionally-affecting song in their discography for me, having lost my dad to cancer not too long ago. The minimal instrumentation works perfectly on this one, and some of those fingerpicked chord voicings Brad uses are just brilliant - I literally thought there were two guitar parts at first! The only thing I would change is to bring out Chester's high "I do" during the guitar solo a little more, it's a really nice moment that gets kind of buried in the mix. But otherwise, this is absolutely the highlight of the album and easily a top 5 Linkin Park song for me.

Sharp Edges - 5/10
LP doing an imitation of old Mumford and Sons after Mumford and Sons already abandoned their old sound on their most recent album, particularly as an album-closing track, just doesn't work. I feel like the instrumentation doesn't fit with the lyrical content at all on this one either. If you're going with an acoustic track as an album closer, don't make it an upbeat "stomp-clap" tune when the song right before it is the most heart-wrenching ballad you've ever written. If the lyrics weren't so personal I'd almost think this track is supposed to be some weird form of comic relief. Keep this instrumental track and put some more lighthearted lyrics to it and you'd have something decent, but as it is this is a song that doesn't make sense at all, in terms of both composition and album sequencing. Not a good way to end things.

Overall album score - 66/100
I'd have to dig up my reviews of other albums to double-check, but I'm pretty sure this is the lowest combined score I've given a Linkin Park record. It's not irredeemably bad, there are a few highlights and the couple REALLY sub-par tracks on it bring the score down considerably. However, there's a lot of mediocrity here too, a lot of "almost good" and "I like this, but..." kind of tracks. I think between trying to reinvent their songwriting process for seemingly the hundredth time, bringing in SO MANY outside collaborators, and generally trying to write songs in styles they're unfamiliar with, they may have tried to do too many things differently at once. I think this album mirrors Minutes to Midnight in that regard, there was SO much going on in writing both albums that was different than what the band was used to that it was hard to imagine the end result being anything BUT inconsistent (although I do think Minutes to Midnight ended up being a better record than this, for what it's worth). On a positive note, I think the general "Linkin Park does a pop album" thing went over more smoothly with me than I expected it would. I don't know what it is about this band, but they have a knack for doing things that on paper seem like they'd never sound like Linkin Park, but once I listen to them, I just go "Oh...yeah, this actually does still sound like Linkin Park." Whether the songs are good, bad, or somewhere in between, they've ultimately made another album that still manages to make sense as a Linkin Park album, and I think that's probably the most important thing.

I rated the album on another post and I don't feel like I should type a long ass review (not that I am a music expert or a producer able to do that). I can say a couple of things though: I agree with some people here, I didn't understood why Heavy was a Single, either OML or Talking to Myself could have been better choices for me. Overall I'm not jumping around like how I did with ATS, that album to this day still for me likely their best one yet. There's some good solid songs, other could have been better but I applaud them for keep trying newer things on the creative aspect. Can't wait for the next record in a few years, personally, I wouldn't want as much involvement from people outside the band as this album had wich I don't mind if they do, but not heavily.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

I won't be listening to the album or buying it due it going in a direction I'm not interested in, but I will say that, I've had songs in the past by other bands/artists hit me with the feels, but none as much as the song One More Light, especially it being performed on Kimmel, for the first time a song made me cry.

MY REVIEW FOR A FRENCH MAGAZINE :

First of all, let me just tell you that I’m french so there should be mistakes here and there.

It is always hard to review a new LP album as it never sounds the same in the space of 3 years . Happened again this time, LP deciding to lean towards the soft pop style.

LP has always been playing in the pop territory, even during Hybrid Theory . Songs like In The End or Crawling were perfect examples. Minutes to Midnights then A Thousand Suns went even one or two steps further and were probably among the best records the band have written.

Then came The Hunting Party , which was probably their heaviest try to date . I really liked the record overall, but it was missing both good promotion and reception . And to be honest , sales were very low .. I do remember them during the THP process saying “We’re tired of this pop shit we hear on the radio; Nowadays? Rock bands do play soft songs, they’re not rock anymore” . I really hoped they’d never say that, especially when you put OML in your record player for the first time .

One More Light , an album they worked on about 18+ months to “have the best songs we’ve ever written” (okay, everybody says so) is now out . Does it meet the expectations ? Not so much..

The first thing that comes to my mind after a few listens wasn’t “Where are the guitars”, but more of “damn, I do not feel any emotions listening to this” . The songs are really polished, slow and boring .

Yes, there are some exceptions, as “Talking to myself” recaptures the essence of MTM for 4 minutes, while being more dancy. Nobody Can save Me sounds to me as the only pop song I would like listening on a daily basis , and Sharp Edges stands out as the only track I really enjoy as it feels fresh and authentic while the rest of the album doesn’t sound so.

LP said they didn’t want to be repetitive (which I can totally understand – ATS was THE example) and with OML they sadly are. Structures do sound the same here and there.

This easily is to me their worst record to date , the one I won’t want to listen anytime soon due to the lack of well ..everything..

Doing pop is easy, doing recognizable good pop is another task.I still hope that some of you like this album, because I’m not here to speak for everybody. It's really personnal tastes (I can enjoy thrashcore but also pop)

So one last advice,if the band says that they do not want to “play this style of music or theses kind of songs” , you’ll have the exact idea of what they will do 3 years later .. Hopefully with better ideas and execution. J

Final rating : 3/10

Edited by partofmelp67

After listening to the album a few times I don't think it's as bleak as some are making it out to be. With that being said though I do have some issues with some of the decisions that have gone into the composition of some of the songs.

Nobody Can Save me is a great song, but the pitched voices at the beginning feel really out of place for me. I feel like the pitched voices work rather well, and feel natural on some of the other songs like Battle Sumphony and Sorry for Now, but the way they are used here feels quite jarring. Another issue for me is the resolution of some songs. Battle Symphony stands out here as building up to the bridge and then just sort of ending and I really think a repeat of the bridge after the final chorus would have created a stronger ending.

There are two misses here for me. Halfway right has some heartfelt and insightful lyrics, but the chorus (and ultimately the song) goes nowhere, and feels undercooked. The other song that I don't particularly enjoy is one that has been largely sited as being one of the better tracks on the album, that being One More Light. This is another song that feels rather linear in the sense that it doesn't build up at all. It's an intimate affair and I understand that, but it's still a miss for me.

All in all I can see myself actively listening to around sixty percent of the album consistently, but only time will tell which songs stand the test of time.

I have to say, I expected the worst. And even tought the album didn't met that expectations, it wasn't by far. There are many songs that could have been good but they were just good intentions that fell apart.

As a example, "Sorry for now" has a nice intention, and a clear idea behind it, but musically is abismally basic and the chorus is really weak and doesn't add up. On the other hand you have songs like "Battle Symphony", which can't decide its mood or pacing. To me OML has to be the best track on the album, because even if is the slowest ballad they have come up with, its lyrics hit right on the spot and the music does a good job accompanying them... When I first hearded it (Live on Santiago) I touched me deeply even tough I didn't associate it with anyone personally, but gosh darn the moment I heard about Chris Cornell passing away this song popped up on my head inmediately.

I like a few aspect of some other songs, Talking to Myself sounds good, specially live, but in that song lyrics are somewhat bland. Good Goodbye also has something going on, but live is also better due to 2nd verse from mike and that it doesn't really belong alongside the rest of the songs of the album. Sharp Edges is something really relying on folk, but it comes out okay.

I've got to say, I got really curious about these people that loved the album even tough they don't regularly listen pop, but rather heavier music. Not because I have anything against pop, but because if you listen a little more outside of your comfort zone isn't hard to find way better pop. That also applies to the simple lyrics, many said that they were alright because they took personal issues in a straightforward way, and there are also songs that take these topics in a far better way, in my opinion.

The last thing I would say about the album, is that these song doesn't blend that well together. I've heard the album multiple times in order and scrambled, and I feel it doesn't gain anything from being listened from begining to end. And dear god, if they released a no-chipmunk version of this album it would be better for sure. After a couple of songs gets really old, and I can swear it is present like in half of the album.

I'll be brief; Too many cooks in the kitchen on this album made the songwriting suffer. Worst LP album but the songs are not indivisually horrible, just most of them.

Talking To Myself should have been the lead single. Heavy sounds even worse in comparison to the other tracks, most of which I don't care enough to listen to agaih.

Invisible is good for a formulaic pop song.

The title track is the saving grace of the album; it makes me want to cry in the fetal position in an empty room. The band kept making us think that this was the kind of emotion that they put into each song and I wish it had been that wayou since OML is now in the running for their greatest soft song.

The more I listen to the album, the more I enjoy it. I don t get the backlash by music critics but don t give a shit: I like this record a lot and it s #1 everywhere on Itunes so they can shut up . " Disrespect me ? Well, then fuck them"

Agreed. I never cared for other opinions; I like what I like, you like what you like. That is all. "Sharp Edges" is my new favorite LP song and surprisingly this album surpassed The Hunting Party as my favorite LP album. I can relate to a lot of the songs on OML, which is a first for me from LP.

Edited by Negan

Agreed. I never cared for other opinions; I like what I like, you like what you like. That is all. "Sharp Edges" is my new favorite LP song and surprisingly this album surpassed The Hunting Party as my favorite LP album. I can relate to a lot of the songs on OML, which is a first for me from LP.

Totally agree on this, I really love Sharp Edges and OML, i find them onest and really emotional. Definitely want more of this by LP. I would love to hear an acoustic EP

Lol, this is awful.

Talking to Myself, One More Light and maybe Good Goodbye are the only three songs that don't make me feel ashamed to be a LP-fan.

*Puts on Hybrid Theory*

Best. Review. Ever.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

Love all these people that are saying that the album's commercial performance equates to it being a good album...

Commercial performance doesn't mean an album is "good" or "bad". I just thought it was funny that there were people who didn't like the album who said it would be a guaranteed flop. It definitely hasn't flopped.

I want the album to do well for the sake of the band, not because it would make me feel justified for liking it.

Love all these people that are saying that the album's commercial performance equates to it being a good album...

"all these people" All one of them? And it seemed like it was less of a reflection of the quality of the album and more of a spiteful remark towards those who felt the album would flop commercially for whatever reason.

I won't be listening to the album or buying it due it going in a direction I'm not interested in, but I will say that, I've had songs in the past by other bands/artists hit me with the feels, but none as much as the song One More Light, especially it being performed on Kimmel, for the first time a song made me cry.

So you absolutely love a song from an album, but refuse to listen to said album because of your preconceived notions of what it sounds like?

I wish I could understand what it feels like to be this ignorant.

I love this album. I was so skeptical after Heavy and eventually moved on from hyping it but it surprised me so much.

The outsiders helped the lyrics immensely. This is a pleasant turn, especially with how songs like Sorry for Now, Invisible, One More Light, and Sharp Edges turned out. I'm extraordinarily disappointed that my preorder CD was delayed because I want it on my shelf now.

Favorite track: Sorry for Now

Least-favorite track: Talking to Myself (easily one of the weakest songs on the album, but still a good song)

EDIT: Read through more of the thread and I'd like to address the person who said that anyone who loves this album can't possibly like rock. I listen to heavy artists going as far as metal acts like Make Them Suffer, Periphery, Asking Alexandria, and Chelsea Grin. You're embarrassing yourself.

Edited by UnpopularOpinionPuffin