"Guilty All The Same" - New Linkin Park Single!

hahninator

Glad to see Brad is still a member of LP.

Smh. Just like everyone said that Mike was still a member when A Thousand Suns came out. Brad was more working on the production. I really dislike the comments that when someone works in the back, he isn't a member or something like that.

I hear slight reverb. More reverb wouldn't of done much on these vocals other than accentuate the cracking and strain, and would've only made the mix less solid and sloppy.

I'm assuming he meant layers as in backing vocals, which I agree on. There is a huge absence of them on this song. Notice how much better he sounds with backing vocals on the parts that have them. And I also guarantee these vocals are NOT unedited, there is basic correction throughout. It is simply more raw than we are used to, and I kind of like it.

I remember that Chester said that What I've Done was organic because of the lack of the layering of his vocals.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll pop in here with a bit more musical analysis and such, now that I've gotten in a few listens with headphones on:

-Surprised nobody noticed this, but Rob is 100% using a double bass pedal on this song. It's not in there a lot, but it shows up in the drum fill under the melodic guitar line during the intro (the guitar that mimics the vocals in the verses), and there are some double bass "gallops" under part of the outro guitar solo as well.

-Re: Chester's vocals. The amount of pitch correction used on a song like this is really hard to discern without at least having an acapella. I think a lot of people tend to forget that Auto Tune can be 100% transparent depending on how you use it. LP HAS been endorsing Antares in their album liner notes going all the way back to Hybrid Theory, after all. But the vocal sound is a lot more "dry" than most of the vocals on the last two albums. We've gotten used to hearing Chester's voice drenched in studio reverb, flangers, layered in 3 and 4-part harmonies, backed up by gang vocals, etc...with that said, I still think he sounds strained. This is the first time I've heard a studio cut from LP where Chester's voice sounded like it does during live shows. Kind of worrying to me (is his voice getting shot to the point that they can't even hide it with "studio magic" anymore?), but it ultimately doesn't detract from the song.

Also on the subject of vocals, there ARE backup vocals in this song. Each "tell us all again"/"show us all again" is doubled, as are the pre-chorus parts. There's also a harmony part that shows up in both pre-choruses and the second verse, and there are actually some gang vocal shouts on the repeated "GUILTY ALL THE SAME" lines after the second and third choruses.

-Electronics: There's plenty of Joe-ish stuff hiding in the background of this song. I definitely hear some MPC-style samples mixed in with the bed of synths that back up Rakim's verse. Not really sure where the Crawling comparison is coming from though, I don't hear it. There's also some pretty subtle scratching during the intro, it sounds almost like really staccato needle drops, creating a "tapping" noise. Also, there's a really distorted low-end synth that doubles the bass throughout most of the song, kind of reminiscent of New Divide.

I'll pop in here with a bit more musical analysis and such, now that I've gotten in a few listens with headphones on:

-Surprised nobody noticed this, but Rob is 100% using a double bass pedal on this song. It's not in there a lot, but it shows up in the drum fill under the melodic guitar line during the intro (the guitar that mimics the vocals in the verses), and there are some double bass "gallops" under part of the outro guitar solo as well.

-Re: Chester's vocals. The amount of pitch correction used on a song like this is really hard to discern without at least having an acapella. I think a lot of people tend to forget that Auto Tune can be 100% transparent depending on how you use it. LP HAS been endorsing Antares in their album liner notes going all the way back to Hybrid Theory, after all. But the vocal sound is a lot more "dry" than most of the vocals on the last two albums. We've gotten used to hearing Chester's voice drenched in studio reverb, flangers, layered in 3 and 4-part harmonies, backed up by gang vocals, etc...with that said, I still think he sounds strained. This is the first time I've heard a studio cut from LP where Chester's voice sounded like it does during live shows. Kind of worrying to me (is his voice getting shot to the point that they can't even hide it with "studio magic" anymore?), but it ultimately doesn't detract from the song.

Also on the subject of vocals, there ARE backup vocals in this song. Each "tell us all again"/"show us all again" is doubled, as are the pre-chorus parts. There's also a harmony part that shows up in both pre-choruses and the second verse, and there are actually some gang vocal shouts on the repeated "GUILTY ALL THE SAME" lines after the second and third choruses.

-Electronics: There's plenty of Joe-ish stuff hiding in the background of this song. I definitely hear some MPC-style samples mixed in with the bed of synths that back up Rakim's verse. Not really sure where the Crawling comparison is coming from though, I don't hear it. There's also some pretty subtle scratching during the intro, it sounds almost like really staccato needle drops, creating a "tapping" noise. Also, there's a really distorted low-end synth that doubles the bass throughout most of the song, kind of reminiscent of New Divide.

Dammit. You wrote exactly what I was going to say. :lol:

*bookmarks Astat's post, as usual*

I noticed it, but i wasn't really sure. I'm impressed of Rob, can't wait to see this song live and see the band shredding.

With Chesters vocals, how he sounds like adds something to the song. It has to be all purpose that he sounds like, sings it this way.

After listening 10 times or so, with and without headphones, I think it's ok. Not bad. Not amazing. Just ok. As of now, I'd score it a 7.5/10. It's obviously going to get high praise online though for it being heavier than most of their more recent material.

Can't fault them for not trying new things. 1min30sec intro (longest ever?). Vocals from another artist. Damn bold.

The song is actually not as heavy as I thought it would be. I agree with people describing it as aggressive and in your face rather than heavy. And this song is going to be amazing live (think about the moshes).

I've always liked the lead singles more than most. I thought WID was one of the best songs on M2M. I thought The Catalyst was one of the better songs on ATS. And yes, I even thought BID was one of the better songs on LT. For me, this is the first time in a while where I don't think the lead single will be among the best songs.

Frankly, the song just sounds bland at certain parts for a single. And a bit too similar to other songs I've heard from other bands in the same/similar genre.

I understand Rakim is viewed as a legend. But someday, I think Mike will be also. I believe Mike could have delivered something as good or better during his part. Instead of Rakim's part, I would have loved to hear a 30 second rapping bridge by Mike and then a 30 second solo by Brad. Yes, the standout parts by Brad on the outro are awesome (albeit a bit similar to some of his recent live outros for Faint, etc), but I believe he could have cooked up something even better during Rakim's part (a la In Pieces).

The real positive that I take away from this song is what it potentially means for the album. LT started to bring back the energy and more prominent guitar parts into the mix that weren't really there on ATS. GATS continues that trend. The rawness in production is closer to M2M. That's exciting. I've been waiting a long time to hear Brad do what I thought he would do after M2M which is take his guitar playing to another level. Based on GATS, sounds like that's still a possibility. So from an instrumental standpoint, I love GATS. I just think from a songwriting/melodic perspective, there will be better songs on this album.

It turns out Mike wasn't just blowing smoke. He's serious about wanting to revive Rock music in a down time. I hope the band pulls it off in a way that only they can do.

Lastly, if this song is indeed an indication of the direction of the album, I expect to see some ex fans or old fair-weather fans who haven't been paying attention for the last few albums popping up again.

You made some good points there.

Not sure if I like the song. As some people have said it has that punk rock feel to it, I've never really been into that type of music so hopefully it will grow on me after a few more listens.

Nonetheless still excited for the album.

I was thinking that, but I sort of blocked it out since I know Rob is pretty quick with a single pedal. After a few listens, I only now hear the gallops in the ending.

I'm hoping the double bass is a sign for a heavier LP, but I'll reserve me judgement at the moment till I hear more off the album.

I was thinking that, but I sort of blocked it out since I know Rob is pretty quick with a single pedal. After a few listens, I only now hear the gallops in the ending.

I'm hoping the double bass is a sign for a heavier LP, but I'll reserve me judgement at the moment till I hear more off the album.

Yeah, Rob's quick with a single pedal, he does some pretty convincing heel-toe stuff from time to time that sounds like a double pedal, but it's only ever been on quick successions of 2 kicks. That fill in the intro has a really fast triple kick though, and there are VERY few drummers that I've ever heard pull off something like that with a single pedal (Off the top of my head, John Bonham and Josh Eppard are the only ones I can think of).

Kind of crazy if Rob's going to a double kick setup now, he's said in the past that he hasn't used a double pedal since he was in like high school, like pre-Xero even.

I absolutely love this song. It's problably my favorite lead single they've ever released. I'm not one of those who's saying all the time 'LP PLZ GO BACK TO THE ROOTS", but this is very exciting. Musically, I feel it's the first time I've heard tiny bits of progressive stuff on an LP song. Contrary to most people's opinions, I like Chester's vocals and the rawness of them. I also think that Rob shines here. I can't wait to hear this album!

After listening to the high quality mix on youtube, I do think it sounds better then when I first heard it. That being said, I still don't think the actual song was mixed/ mastered properly. The vocals just don't come through the mix at all and it takes away from some of the song's potential energy.