The Catalyst Premieres

Nameless

wow.....really.....

i hope many of you realize that the guys in linkin park are all in their mid 30's. so if you really expect them to make music that they made when they were TEENAGERS, you are very mistaken. They are most likely going to make music that is from the time when they were kids and teenagers. They Grew Up. I like the newer music more than the older stuff. im not gonna lie. I enjoy adult contemporary music and indie music which is the direction they seem to be taking. So if they are gonna make music to meet an older more mature audience More power too them. They deserve it. Plus they need it. Making music that is all about teenage angst is not gonna keep them a fanbase that will allow them to tour as long as say The Rolling Stones.

plus a band's job isnt to make music YOU want its to make music they want and like. so if they like this style then that will probably influence them. Music is what makes them happy so they are gonna make the music that they like not what you WANT them to like.

and on the note of bands that changed:

sum 41

blink-182

simple plan

three days grace

Atreyu

Bullet For my Valentine

Bush

Disturbed

like he said Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold

System of Down

just to name a few.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.....really.....

i hope many of you realize that the guys in linkin park are all in their mid 30's. so if you really expect them to make music that they made when they were TEENAGERS, you are very mistaken. They are most likely going to make music that is from the time when they were kids and teenagers. They Grew Up. I like the newer music more than the older stuff. im not gonna lie. I enjoy adult contemporary music and indie music which is the direction they seem to be taking. So if they are gonna make music to meet an older more mature audience More power too them. They deserve it. Plus they need it. Making music that is all about teenage angst is not gonna keep them a fanbase that will allow them to tour as long as say The Rolling Stones.

plus a band's job isnt to make music YOU want its to make music they want and like. so if they like this style then that will probably influence them. Music is what makes them happy so they are gonna make the music that they like not what you WANT them to like.

and on the note of bands that changed:

sum 41

blink-182

simple plan

three days grace

Atreyu

Bullet For my Valentine

Bush

Disturbed

like he said Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold

System of Down

just to name a few.

This.

Wow, new Linkin Park single! Fucking sweet! I've been following the hype for this song for the past month. "The Catalyst" has been built up so much, I've got to hear it just once! LP have finally returned!

*listens to song once*

Uh...

*listens to song again*

...Huh.

*listens to song a few more times*

Two years in the studio and that's what they came up with? Let me just say it, "The Catalyst" is a mediocre song. Not bad, mind you. However, I can't fathom why Linkin Park thought this song should have been the lead single. The song certainly doesn't deserve the massive buzz the band's generated.

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm not that big a fan of the song. My major gripe with it is the singing and right off the bat, that tells me that something is wrong. The vocals are usually my favorite part of any LP song, mainly because usually they're consistently better than the actual music, which hardly ever sounds inspired. But with "The Catalyst", it's kinda flipped. Why are the lyrics so repetitive? Yeah, I heard the interview, too. I heard how Chester claims it's supposed to be like an anthem, but there's a problem with that. Unless you have a good ear, you're not gonna make out half of the lyrics through the watery vocoder! I don't know why the band thought that was a good idea; it sounds more like a piss-poor rip than something that was recorded in a studio only a best-selling band could afford! I was beyond relieved when it was finally dropped for the "Lift me up, let me go" part.

Now for the music. I like a good electronic song as much as the next guy, but that's not where Linkin Park's strength is, which for the record, is with rock songs. Preferably, rap-rock with a touch of electronica for flavor. However, I don't think the band should restrict itself to that. I believe experimentation is healthy. And that nu-metal is dead and gone, but that's another story. I like Minutes to Midnight for not being the lighter and softer remake of Hybrid Theory most of Meteora turned out to be and I love "Breaking the Habit", despite my opinion on the rest of the album. But this? This sounds like a neutered Pendulum song. "The Catalyst" is a dance song, and not a very imaginative one. That being said, I actually enjoy the music. I thought the synth solo and drum outro were cool and I liked how up-tempo the song was.

What's my opinion on the song? Linkin Park could have done a lot better. Hell, some of the remixes blew the actual song out of the water, such as the Manic All-Stars! But it's not gonna taint my perception of what the album's gonna be like. As some people have mentioned, "What I've Done" isn't very representative of Minutes to Midnight and I'm willing to bet it's the same case here. And like that song, "The Catalyst" is gonna grow on me during the next few months.

I don't know why this was the lead single, but they never release the best song first anyways. My favorite songs from each album have all been the 2nd single (Crawling/Faint/Bleed it Out, and even New Divide if you count the Transformers soundtracks).

I've listened to it a few times and only really dislike the verses. Chester singing/shouting about random shit in a digitized voice over a "Bleed It Out" techno beat. No thanks. The 2nd half gives me goosebumps and will be great live. I hope they change it up a bit like they usually do with the songs that aren't guitar heavy (see: "High Voltage").

i can understand where you are coming from KitsuneInferno, but a lot of what you said contradicts itself... it almost seems as though you're not quite sure what to make of it yet? which is completely understandable.

personally, i love it.

as for chart success - within hours it has shot up to #116 on the aussie itunes charts and seems to be increasing every time i have a look. at this rate it'll be in the top 50 by the end of the day/tomorrow.

anyone care to hazard a guess as to when the video will drop?

i can understand where you are coming from KitsuneInferno, but a lot of what you said contradicts itself... it almost seems as though you're not quite sure what to make of it yet? which is completely understandable.

personally, i love it.

as for chart success - within hours it has shot up to #116 on the aussie itunes charts and seems to be increasing every time i have a look. at this rate it'll be in the top 50 by the end of the day/tomorrow.

anyone care to hazard a guess as to when the video will drop?

I have a feeling that it will be inbetween the album release and the single drop so towards the end of august is my guesstimate.

I'm sorry for asking this if it was already posted but I can't browse 21 pages:

Are there the lyrics determining who sings when? Because sometimes I get confused if it's Chester or Mike singing (sorry if this sounds 'not-fanish')...

BTW I don't REALLY like this song... It's just ok, I guess. Let's see what's coming next.

And I was really hoping for some yet-unreleased lyrics... Too bad everything was already sung in the MoH clip.

They did what they've always done, which is being pretty edgy between different genres. The Catalyst is not pop music, is not rock, is not pure electronica. I don't fucking know what it is! It's awesome though!

but what do I say to my friends that suggest that it's clubby and dance and sounds like house music? That's what someone would say on a few listens.

LP will going to lose thousands and thousands of fans with this album...

I love the new LP, but thousands of thousands of listeners not fans just listeners will hate this album, so good bye success, the new LP is for the fans the hardcore fans...

Thank you LP, thank you for make the music that my hearth will sing the rest of my life...

I love the new LP, but thousands of thousands of listeners not fans just listeners will hate this album, so good bye success, the new LP is for the fans the hardcore fans...

Thank you LP, thank you for make the music that my hearth will sing the rest of my life...

It's gonna be like MtM - tons of fans will hate the album and stop following the band, but an entirely new wave of fans will step up and eventually replace those that abandoned ship.

It's gonna be like MtM - tons of fans will hate the album and stop following the band, but an entirely new wave of fans will step up and eventually replace those that abandoned ship.

Agree, but i feel something diferent here, is like (hope im wrong) LP want to show just the flys of the butterfly not the Soldier anymore... They are not teenagers anymore, the life change people, and LP change but sometimes the people is usually do, feel and make the same thing over and over as insects and that will hurt the band, hurt the success...

I disagree. I think people will at first be shocked at this sound but then again think of it as a trend. Exaggerated Autotune was weird as hell when tPain first started doing it, but now it's like a industry standard. Maybe LP will push in a new wave of rock, which always happens. Rock's sound popularity always changes. from grunge to ska to punk to new metal to coldplay to fall out boy to w/e it is now. lol so don't think of it as Linkin Park losing fans, look at it as them possibly setting a new trend in rock music.