The Catalyst Premieres

Nameless

You guys are the epitome of immature. I've listened to more music than basically any of you combined and have written music more talented than anything that's appeared on any Linkin Park record. I can cite numerous examples of bands that are writing with depth, heart, meaning with thoughtful melodies, deep lyrics, and a message they're trying to say. Linkin Park has none of this and while I discovered them at a time when I had basic virgin ears and have held on to that love since then, I have grown up but it seems like they won't evolve with me. As I discovered new music with heart and soul(we'll be burning inside the fire of a thousand suns is NOT deep) I hoped that as they got more records under their belt they'd move forward with me, not digress as they have so much. It's become more and more obvious as the records go on that this band is a one trick pony who have to consistently add bells and whistles to make it SEEM like they're being artistic. If I picked up an acoustic guitar and covered "The Catalyst" nothing would reach out to you because there's nothing there. Buried underneath these walls of sound and noise there's nothing, there's no heart, no soul, nothing being poured into the music, it's just sound. It's like a robot and I had hoped that they would evolve past that. Minutes to Midnight, while a poor album, showed that they WANTED to move past that but maybe it's time I accepted that they simply can't. Regardless, yuo guays makeang fun o f me becuase fo the way i splel shwos a distinact lckac off argumeant on ur part.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lyrically it is the same thing they did 3 time before this.

Again with the typos. Pay attention, damn.

And no, they have moved on lyrically. The Catalyst is essentially about the end of the world and the people praising god/repenting on judgement day. That is a very deep topic. Hybrid Theory was about "I'm a teenager and my life sucks and I hate you", and you're saying they haven't moved on?

You guys are the epitome of immature. I've listened to more music than basically any of you combined and have written music more talented than anything that's appeared on any Linkin Park record. I can cite numerous examples of bands that are writing with depth, heart, meaning with thoughtful melodies, deep lyrics, and a message they're trying to say. Linkin Park has none of this and while I discovered them at a time when I had basic virgin ears and have held on to that love since then, I have grown up but it seems like they won't evolve with me. As I discovered new music with heart and soul(we'll be burning inside the fire of a thousand suns is NOT deep) I hoped that as they got more records under their belt they'd move forward with me, not digress as they have so much. It's become more and more obvious as the records go on that this band is a one trick pony who have to consistently add bells and whistles to make it SEEM like they're being artistic. If I picked up an acoustic guitar and covered "The Catalyst" nothing would reach out to you because there's nothing there. Buried underneath these walls of sound and noise there's nothing, there's no heart, no soul, nothing being poured into the music, it's just sound. It's like a robot and I had hoped that they would evolve past that. Minutes to Midnight, while a poor album, showed that they WANTED to move past that but maybe it's time I accepted that they simply can't. Regardless, yuo guays makeang fun o f me becuase fo the way i splel shwos a distinact lckac off argumeant on ur part.

Lets see your talent big boi

You guys are the epitome of immature. I've listened to more music than basically any of you combined and have written music more talented than anything that's appeared on any Linkin Park record.

you must be really famous then, may i have your autograph please?

THIS.

Please, for the love of everything holy, use spell check and listen to the song. It has meaning and soul. Your just looking for emo LP, not thoughtful, mature LP.

I'm not saying the band hasn't matured, but can we stop throwing around that word? It's just getting a bit tiring. It sounds like it implies the band was never mature before which is just false.

I think all LP songs have had pretty good meaning. This is one of the few LP songs though that has a good meaning which is directed towards humanity or society as a whole. I'm sure some individuals can relate to parts of this song on a personal level but I think the song aims for a wider message and audience. It's not talking about an individual struggle. It's more societal. That's the main difference with this song and it's the reason you hear the words "you, our, us, we're" and not as much of "I". Lyrics are probably the most subjective part of music though. Whatever is "great meaning" or "thoughtful" differs from person to person depending on their experiences and what they are currently going through.

I don't think LP has any emo songs. Maybe Valentine's Day was the closest it ever got to sounding emo. If you look closely though at their discography, each album got more positive. I think almost half of M2M was free of anger, anguish, etc. IMO, WID was a turning point for the band lyrically, not just musically. It basically took part of the message from Somewhere I Belong but the positivity from the band was at an ALL TIME high. Instead of just wanting to heal, it was saying "I WILL HEAL. I WILL FORGIVE MYSELF. TODAY THIS ENDS." And this is the approach that I think the band should stick with. To me, this album won't be a good Linkin Park album without some songs that are directed more towards the individual listener and the situations they might be going through. As M2M showed, it doesn't have to be depressing. It can be like WID, SOTD, etc. The lyrics of The Catalyst are not bad but I'm hoping for songs like this. Songs that talk about personal adversity/situations, like on prior albums. And I know that many people have called past songs "angsty, shallow, emo, exagerrated, etc". I Couldn't disagree more. I think these songs are just as deep as songs like The Catalyst. They're just deep in a different way. I can't tell you how many times I thought for sure I knew the meaning of a Linkin Park song, only to come back later and interpret it totally differently. It's part of what makes Mike Shinoda one of the best lyricists in the world. That's what I call deep and thoughtful. The songs force you to think a lot and question everything until you finally decide what the message means. At least that's what the prior albums did for me.

oh and by the way in the WWE thread the same guy who wrote that wrote this:

hey my name is john i like wwe and linkin park my name is wwe4lyfe sometime people at school pick on me so i listen to linin park or wwe and i an wwe and linkin park 4 lyfe i hoep you guys like me.

who else here like linkin park and listen when they feel down or angry at society and love wwe and is wwe4lyfe like me john cena YOU CANT SEEM E lol i love wwe tna is lame tho dixie carter doesnt know what she sdoing

i heard the rock is goin to deabvut in TNA tho so i may have to watch that he was my favertite wrestler back int he 80s when i growed up!!!!

FAIL?

IMO, WID was a turning point for the band lyrically, not just musically. It basically took part of the message from Somewhere I Belong but the positivity from the band was at an ALL TIME high. Instead of just wanting to heal, it was saying "I WILL HEAL. I WILL FORGIVE MYSELF. TODAY THIS ENDS." And this is the approach that I think the band should stick with.

QFT

1) You sound bitter and it appears as if you joined yesterday just to vent it out? Go to some other site and do that.

2) A lot of these kids are younger and haven't had a chance to mature. It doesn't make anyone immature because they are at a stage of intellectual development where they seek out instances of depth to reflect on the layers they see within the world.

Take your drama elsewhere, kthx.

The lyrics really struck a cord with me, being a once strong believer and now an agnostic. The lines about burning for the sins of ones hands and tongue reminds me of what I was told as a child by some of my teachers, that on the day of judgement our hands and tongue will literally testify against us depending on how we used them.

Besides that, though the lyrics are repetitive they seem to flow rather masterfully without ever losing my attention. Overall, great song, perhaps one of my favorite right now.

Again with the typos. Pay attention, damn.

And no, they have moved on lyrically. The Catalyst is essentially about the end of the world and the people praising god/repenting on judgement day. That is a very deep topic. Hybrid Theory was about "I'm a teenager and my life sucks and I hate you", and you're saying they haven't moved on?

1) The typo thing, THAT is the part you look at? :P

2) Nah, the lyrics haven't moved on from "SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU" to a song that is about something that happened about 70 years ago, what those people must've thought, but without seeming like a cheesy history song./end sarcasm (I do agree with you)

Maybe The Catalyst doesn't have the element of being instantly able to be related to like previous songs, but that doesn't mean it lacks meaning. The Chester only lyrics "When I close my eyes......bleed into the sky" are a very well written description of witnessing the testing. The Mike/chant lyrics, to me, are the witnesses' thoughts along the lines of "what are we really getting ourselves into?" or "should we really be allowed to play God?". So basically, repenting on Judgment Day.

Also, if you mean that the repetition of few lyrics means lack of meaning:

1) Repetition can be very effective to make sure things that are said/sung really hit home

2) Anyone else think this is like an evolved Session/Wake track? Throughout the entire track, it just seemed something like Mr Hahn probably called the shots on the track and put what he wanted of the others in.

Side note, Ash, I've agreed with multiple other posts you've posted recently, thought I'd let you know.

I've listened to more music than basically any of you combined and have written music more talented than anything that's appeared on any Linkin Park record.

Says the fool that went to Itawamba? Let's hear it, god damnit, let's hear it. Where's your talented music at?

Posted Image

You guys are the epitome of immature. I've listened to more music than basically any of you combined and have written music more talented than anything that's appeared on any Linkin Park record.

Wrestling theme songs don't really count...

You my friend, are a troll.

Shouldn't you be out, pounding the pavement, trying to promote yourself instead of sitting at home and posting on an internet message board?

I'm glad LP didn't move forward with you; that would've sucked big time. You let your arrogance speak for your music, while LP let's their songs speak for their music.

Linkin Park "A Thousand Suns" - Record Release Parties

09.09.2010 Berlin SAGE

09.09.2010 Koblenz Spökes

09.09.2010 Dieburg Biergarten

09.09.2010 Mönchengladbach Projekt 42

10.09.2010 Ludwigsburg Rockfabrik

10.09.2010 Bruchsal Rockfabrik

10.09.2010 Ulm Roxy

10.09.2010 Nürnberg Rockfabrik

10.09.2010 Neunkirchen/Saar Club Caesars

10.09.2010 Krefeld Kulturfabrik

10.09.2010 Kassel Spot