The Catalyst Premieres

Nameless

Chill out. If you're prepared to come on a public forum to post your opinions, then you should also be prepared to receive oppositions and/or validations just like i am prepared for all that.

Its cool that you took the time to explain why you found the song underwhelming. But i don't understand and think its just unnecessary to label everyone who thinks the song is great a "cattle" simply because they love the song and you can't understand why.

I love the song and think it is orgasmic. Nothing intellectual. It was just how i felt listening to it for the first time. I consider myself a fan of the band because I've always found myself loving at least 85% of the music they release and i connected with them live when i saw them. And with this single, they still make music that appeals to me. I don't force myself to like their music. I didn't love What I've Done when it came out. But that didn't stop me from checking out the rest of the album as i had fate the band had the ingredients to make music that spoke to me and they did. So i think it is rude and doesn't help get your point across when you try to insult people for not writing a novel like you and chose to simply express themselves in the simplest of terms. And maybe you could consider that this song maybe polarizing. Most people might either love it or hate it. I don't think the people are haters if they don't love it.

And the word fan is a short form of fanatical(excessively enthusiastic.) If you're not fanatical, then you're probably not a fan. Just so you know. You shouldn't be mad that people are living up to the definition of the word.

I'm sorry, I just didn't appreciate the fact that the first retort to my first post was something along the lines of a smug "you're new, so you don't matter". And I didn't necessarily claim everyone who loved the song were easily-led bovine. It's simply that I think a substantial (not all, probably not even the most) amount of praise "The Catalyst" is getting from the fanbase are from starved fans who are ecstatic that there's finally a new song out, which was a mindset I tried to avoid going into the song. It's kind of hard to take an objective stance when it's your favorite band you're critiquing. As for fanatics, they tend to make me embarrassed that I enjoy the very thing they go nuts for. Maybe it's because I'm generally not a loud person.

Welcome to the internet.

Well aware of that. Edited by KitsuneInferno

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like i said on facebook, this is a great song. I loved it completely. Of course theres going to be people who disapprove of it. thats everything in life.

But i will say something to EVERYONE in this thread. There's a difference between stating your opinion and being completely rude about it. That is all.

Bring on September 14th 2010

I Love watching people fight. Im like one of those little kids that yell fight fight fight when kids are fighting in the school yard but when the teachers come i bitch it like a little girl. So Awesome.

Not a fan of this song. I actually wasn't even really excited for it, which is really weird considering how big of an LP fan I am. For WID's release I was online like 16+ hours a day the few days before it was on that South American radio station, etc...was up really early to hear the KROQ interview with Mike about it, etc. For this song, I was like ...ehh.

Anyway all that aside, I give the song a 3/10. The fact of the matter is, this is their worst single they have released to date.

I really think the entire first half of the song is terrible. I don't like the techno electronica beat with all the insanely layered synth at all. Just not up my alley, I don't feel it. The lyrics are really really repetitive...I guess catchy if you like it but I think the wet vocals and really overproduced stuff (see T-Pain, or worse than New Divide vox) is not good at all. Lyrics don't do anything for me...REALLY weird song structure. Just not feeling that gospel rave stuff. Drum machine, no thanks. It's by far the weirdest thing I've ever heard from Linkin Park, not up my alley at all. Disappointing to me when I hear a song as amazing as "Across The Line", then go to this for the first single. This is really distant from past LP singles and I feel this one is going to chase the casual fans.

With that said, I like the second half of the song. Piano, great. Mike is singing..reminds me of Drum Song. Not bad at all. Rob is in this part of the song...Chester comes in strong with his part. It's a nice breakdown and build up to end the song. HHH live-style vocals (or TLTGYA) - I like that stuff. Good second part of the song, but this as a single... O_o

It really surprises me there's more Joe in the first 25 seconds of this song than I heard in all of MTM combined.

How is Mike going to be able to play this live and not play "No Roads Left"?

3/10, weak song in my opinion. Hope the rest of the CD is good. I am expecting a few songs like this, a few like Shadow and a few like Given Up.

I wanted to say this too. The Lift me up let me go part is as hard as No Roads left to sing. We'll see.

But I liked the song. I think the guitar should not have been in the background though..and the second part is simply amazing.

Mark, I see where you are coming from. I personally enjoy the song and find it rather catchy. One thing I have picked up that I got to get off my chest is the duality of the lyrics. Some say it sounds like it is gospel lyrics because it mentions God and being 'saved' and 'blessed'. That is one way to look at it. However, take a step back and look at the big picture.

Atomic bombs, minutes to midnight, a thousand suns, J. Robert Oppenheimer.....it all adds up to the destruction of Earth and of mankind. If you're in your final seconds of life, you're going to be doing one of two things, shouting for help (praying, trying to prevent your own death, or literally shouting for help) or cursing the one(s) who made you (parents, teachers, leaders, or God/Gods). This song dives into the prior and is a literal cry for help from the ones who have destroyed themselves. They are not saying that they actually believe in a God, but are saying that if their is one, to bless them and to save them.

The song is also a journey. It starts with people wanting blessings for what they have created. The first time around he says "We were broken people", after then it is "We're a broken people". They start realizing what they have done and created. The song build up to where it is almost out of control and then explodes with the intensity and beauty of a thousand suns and then you hear "Lift me up, Let me go". This is the lyrical form of death. It paints a picture of all of mankind finally realizing that this is the end and there is nothing else to be done but let go and die.

Sorry to ramble but this is what I see in the lyrics from "The Catalyst". I'll stop now.

Still so so on the song I mean the techno stuff is cool, but not when i'm wanting to listen to Linkin Park haha. But the second part where the 'Lift me up, let me go' kicks in i absolutely love the song. it almost feels like a different song to me at that point.

Still so so on the song I mean the techno stuff is cool, but not when i'm wanting to listen to Linkin Park haha. But the second part where the 'Lift me up, let me go' kicks in i absolutely love the song. it almost feels like a different song to me at that point.

That's what HHH did =))..and I really like it.

I can really imagine some kick-ass slow motion in the MV

It really surprises me there's more Joe in the first 25 seconds of this song than I heard in all of MTM combined.

finally joe did it , i was waiting for a very long time to see his part more effectively in the begining of the song , he dissapointed me a lot in MTM , something frm joe atleast in this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark , catalyst is going to be played at least 50 times in upcoming shows , itz highly impossible to play the full verse since it contains a lot of chorus , might be a part from it would be played , no doubt at all , even mike cant change that :D

and WE GET 50 dsp's ;)

Edited by aravind221

Mark, I see where you are coming from. I personally enjoy the song and find it rather catchy. One thing I have picked up that I got to get off my chest is the duality of the lyrics. Some say it sounds like it is gospel lyrics because it mentions God and being 'saved' and 'blessed'. That is one way to look at it. However, take a step back and look at the big picture.

Atomic bombs, minutes to midnight, a thousand suns, J. Robert Oppenheimer.....it all adds up to the destruction of Earth and of mankind. If you're in your final seconds of life, you're going to be doing one of two things, shouting for help (praying, trying to prevent your own death, or literally shouting for help) or cursing the one(s) who made you (parents, teachers, leaders, or God/Gods). This song dives into the prior and is a literal cry for help from the ones who have destroyed themselves. They are not saying that they actually believe in a God, but are saying that if their is one, to bless them and to save them.

The song is also a journey. It starts with people wanting blessings for what they have created. The first time around he says "We were broken people", after then it is "We're a broken people". They start realizing what they have done and created. The song build up to where it is almost out of control and then explodes with the intensity and beauty of a thousand suns and then you hear "Lift me up, Let me go". This is the lyrical form of death. It paints a picture of all of mankind finally realizing that this is the end and there is nothing else to be done but let go and die.

Sorry to ramble but this is what I see in the lyrics from "The Catalyst". I'll stop now.

this post wins. Im going to quote this soon in a review lol

Trying very hard to like it. Keep listening to it and it's not unlistenable, waiting for it to grow on me.

I think it starts off very well and it ends very well, but the middle right now seems a bit messy at the moment, too many different sounds overlaid and distracting and I feel the effects on the vocals are still a little to much. The song seems to have too much going on at once and the problem being they don't fit together too well, so it becomes overwhelming. The song when it is a bit more simple (The start and the end) seem quite nice.

For me, if you take the start and the end, then replace the middle with something Guitar driven with a bigger focus on the vocals, you would have something amazing.

The holland releasedate is September 10 ;)

also Freeecordshop has listed that date

Oh that´s nice, just like MTM we get it 4 days early woohoo!

Love the song btw.

First listen I was like ´ Hmm oke that´s something else..´

But after listening to it like 15 times today I fucking loved it (Loved it after the 2nd time i guess :P)

Holy Shit. This is one of the most intelligent reviews of the song that I've read on here. This post wins.

Very, very interesting opinion! and well said! congratulations! :) I agree with you tottaly!

It's not my favorite LP song ever, but I like the song. I love the synth sound which a lot of people seem to hate, but I really don't like the electronic drums. I wish they had played real drums throughout the whole song. The end is great. I would like to see how they're going to perform this song live.

I give this song 6/10.

If this is one of the weakest tracks on the album, or THE weakest track, I'll be very satisfied. Can't wait til the album arrives.

Edited by danielpsoad-09

It really doesn't matter what intellectual level the song/album adds up to. If the song blows then it blows.

At first I liked the song and it was growing on me. But now I'm really sick of it. It is repetitive and a total let down. Those who deny it are just trying really hard to be dedicated to the band. And that's cool, but the song is honestly junk.

EDIT: This song will tank as far as sales go in comparison to their other hit/lead singles.

Edited by HybridThe0ry97