Friendly Fire / Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023)

martinez

5 hours ago, RYG4R said:

That's why Rick Rubin sucks. He ruined the song. I miss Don Gilmore so bad. Everything he touches turns into instant CLASSIC.

QWERTY wasn't ever finished, it's still in demo form. It didn't make it through the process. His changes aren't great compared to the live version, of course, but we don't know what a finished QWERTY would even sound like if it got to the same point in the process Given Up or something did.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

QWERTY wasn't ever finished, it's still in demo form. It didn't make it through the process. His changes aren't great compared to the live version, of course, but we don't know what a finished QWERTY would even sound like if it got to the same point in the process Given Up or something did.

This might sound dumb, but I have to ask, what makes a song a demo? I mean, I've never thought of Qwerty as a demo, but a B-Side, that's why I'm very intrigued by your comment. What would be the difference compared to a song like Across the Line, which I also consider a complete track. 

43 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

This might sound dumb, but I have to ask, what makes a song a demo? I mean, I've never thought of Qwerty as a demo, but a B-Side, that's why I'm very intrigued by your comment. What would be the difference compared to a song like Across the Line, which I also consider a complete track. 

It depends how far the song got. Across The Line got a final mix, meaning that the band was done with it arrangement-wise and were strongly considering it to be on MTM til the last second when they started cutting. If the personnel doing the final mixes get their hands on it, we can consider it pretty "final" and no longer a demo. Lost (2003 mix) is not a demo for that same reason. 

QWERTY is a demo because they never passed it on to the mixing/mastering phase, and probably didn't even touch it for the final weeks/months they were finishing the other tracks because they had already decided it didn't make the cut. So unless the band picked it back up, did more work on it and mixed it intending to release it as a "real" track at some point and we never heard about it, it only exists in demo form. 

But yeah ultimately it's subjective, you might consider "demo" to refer to something even rougher than QWERTY and that's fine. But that's how LPLStaff was using the term. 

7 hours ago, LennyTobell said:

Doubt it but IF they release QWERTY as a single before the Papercuts release, they really should include the live version of the song:
1. QWERTY
2. QWERTY (Live version)

probably won't happen and then we have to wait for a streaming release of the live version to MAYBE be included in MTM20 or something, but a man can dream 😅

Given past form, MTM will have a LPU rarities or Live disc that it will appear on

21 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Sorry For Now without Chipmunks s sounds so good check it out

I even replaced the album version w this one, I can't stand the original 

https://web.archive.org/web/20190803051221/https://instaud.io/3xeT

Maybe you could reupload this elsewhere, as I can't download it off the site, as the download wasn't saved.

It sounds very cool!

Edited by NJPLP

3 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Maybe you could reupload this elsewhere, as I can't download it off the site, as the download wasn't saved.

It sounds very cool!

I found a way to download it let me upload it to somewhere else. Martinez did this edit when the multitracks leaked back in 2017.

3 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

I found a way to download it let me upload it to somewhere else. Martinez did this edit when the multitracks leaked back in 2017.

https://we.tl/t-GGaRl1H0Jl

At this point I think Geki should just publish a book about Minutes To Midnight. His posts are always huge. Collect them all and that's the book.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:38 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Sorry For Now without Chipmunks s sounds so good check it out

I even replaced the album version w this one, I can't stand the original 

https://web.archive.org/web/20190803051221/https://instaud.io/3xeT

Wow, the ending sounds huge. It's so good, I love that the pitch shifted vocals don't bury the guitars. However, I have to admit that the beginning sounds pretty empty. It needs something else in there to replace the missing sounds.

7 hours ago, bloodbath said:

6 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

It depends how far the song got. Across The Line got a final mix, meaning that the band was done with it arrangement-wise and were strongly considering it to be on MTM til the last second when they started cutting. If the personnel doing the final mixes get their hands on it, we can consider it pretty "final" and no longer a demo. Lost (2003 mix) is not a demo for that same reason. 

QWERTY is a demo because they never passed it on to the mixing/mastering phase, and probably didn't even touch it for the final weeks/months they were finishing the other tracks because they had already decided it didn't make the cut. So unless the band picked it back up, did more work on it and mixed it intending to release it as a "real" track at some point and we never heard about it, it only exists in demo form. 

But yeah ultimately it's subjective, you might consider "demo" to refer to something even rougher than QWERTY and that's fine. But that's how LPLStaff was using the term.

You don't always need specialized personnel to work on mixing a song for it to be considered a finished product. We have finished songs that were simply mixed by Mike, who is the same person who mixes all of the band's demos (QWERTY was mixed by Ethan Mates by the way). We also have songs labeled as demos that were mixed by the same person who mixed the album it originated from, meaning it got to the final stages.

The thing is that for any band, a demo is whatever the band says is a demo. If they feel it's not finished, it's not finished, regardless of who worked on it or what was done to it. Do I agree with everything Linkin Park labels a "demo"? No. Does it matter what we think about those "demos"? Not to them.

19 minutes ago, wenom1000 said:

Im just thinking, we didnt recieve any big statement from LP about this release, any comments why they now release friendly fire and etc. Or I missing something?

Nope, just a note from Brad in the newsletter saying nothing relevant 

2 hours ago, wenom1000 said:

Im just thinking, we didnt recieve any big statement from LP about this release, any comments why they now release friendly fire and etc. Or I missing something?

We got a note from Brad, but aside that, a note about how we should ask Brad why there's no THP, just a comment from Mike on an instagram post, and Joe + Dave teasing in the Broadcast Channel on Instagram. The boys love instagram. Thankfully, so do I.

7 hours ago, Fruitpunch1010 said:

I don’t see how they are going to just skip 2005 and 2006. According to Brad, the band started making the album in November of 2005. 2006 is totally Minutes To Midnight era. It’s just a lot to release is the problem, you have to cover 2005-2008. Tokyo 2006 needs to be a part of it. 

Would strongly argue Blackbirds being released in early 2010 (finished in 2009) is MTM-era, since the song was one of 6 they recorded strings for with MTM and it made it really far in the process. Someone else could easily disagree and say since the ATS sessions were going so strong then, they finished it while working with ATS.

Wild how things could be classified so many different ways across their discography haha.

10 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Would strongly argue Blackbirds being released in early 2010 (finished in 2009) is MTM-era, since the song was one of 6 they recorded strings for with MTM and it made it really far in the process. Someone else could easily disagree and say since the ATS sessions were going so strong then, they finished it while working with ATS.

Wild how things could be classified so many different ways across their discography haha.

You answered on the Geki post, he's already banned.

Did they actually do anything to Blackbirds that late in the process? I know Not Alone and Pretend to Be were started during the MTM sessions and finished post-MTM, but I always thought Blackbirds was finished during the MTM sessions and just wasn't released until much later.

Most of the time when we hear these b-sides and cut tracks, I can see why they were cut no matter how much I like them. I totally see why Lost is too similar to Numb for example. FF though, it's actually pretty different from other OML songs, at least in this form (who knows how much they changed since 2017). 

The swing rhythm isn't there on any other tracks, the acoustic guitar on the second verse is kinda a unique touch, the "Fiiiireee" refrain is unique from other refrains that are either more wordy or the "na na na" from HR, the vocal outro is kinda unique. The only striking similarities to other songs for me are the way it starts abruptly with vocals like HR and Heavy, the fact that it's all just Chester-focused with no back and forth like BS and NCSM, but overall it's not too similar imo. They went really hard with cutting on OML it seems to me, because this could have easily been an 11th track without the album overstaying its welcome imo. Here's to hoping Tidal Wave, Out Of Reach and the others see the light of day sometime  

52 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Most of the time when we hear these b-sides and cut tracks, I can see why they were cut no matter how much I like them. I totally see why Lost is too similar to Numb for example. FF though, it's actually pretty different from other OML songs, at least in this form (who knows how much they changed since 2017). 

The swing rhythm isn't there on any other tracks, the acoustic guitar on the second verse is kinda a unique touch, the "Fiiiireee" refrain is unique from other refrains that are either more wordy or the "na na na" from HR, the vocal outro is kinda unique. The only striking similarities to other songs for me are the way it starts abruptly with vocals like HR and Heavy, the fact that it's all just Chester-focused with no back and forth like BS and NCSM, but overall it's not too similar imo. They went really hard with cutting on OML it seems to me, because this could have easily been an 11th track without the album overstaying its welcome imo. Here's to hoping Tidal Wave, Out Of Reach and the others see the light of day sometime  

Totally agree, I mean it's a OML song, shares similarities with BS, Heavy, NCSM, HR especially, but it'skinda unique in its elements, very very good song, could have easily been on the album

3 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Absolutely, Lost is a great song, but it has shined thanks to be released on its own. If Lost would have been released back in 03 I'm pretty sure that it would have been easily forgotten because it's "that song that sounds like Numb, but worst". You can dislike Nobody's Listening or Hit the Floor, but no other songs sounds alike, plus it proved that Linkin Park could evolve and not regurgitate the same songs over and over again.

5 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

Did they actually do anything to Blackbirds that late in the process? I know Not Alone and Pretend to Be were started during the MTM sessions and finished post-MTM, but I always thought Blackbirds was finished during the MTM sessions and just wasn't released until much later.

Mike said "we basically finished specifically to this game." This was in an interview about 8-bit Rebellion. It seems that everytime an unreleased track finally gets released, the band always tweak something in it, just like they did with Friendly Fire and Lost.

Another example is what the press release of LPU 9 said about Across The Line: "In response to fan feedback, the band decided to finish the song and make it available as a highlight of LPU9." We know that there was a version with an extended intro and they removed it for release.

3 hours ago, bloodbath said:

Absolutely, Lost is a great song, but it has shined thanks to be released on its own. If Lost would have been released back in 03 I'm pretty sure that it would have been easily forgotten because it's "that song that sounds like Numb, but worst". You can dislike Nobody's Listening or Hit the Floor, but no other songs sounds alike, plus it proved that Linkin Park could evolve and not regurgitate the same songs over and over again.

In another multiverse Lost was included in Meteora and it's the most popular LP song ever.

Numb was released as the lead single of Meteora 20 and it got massive success.

If Lost was part of the original release I think that It had a chance to become what Numb is.

The original mix of Lost is so strange compared to what the band released last year. Not sure how BIG it would have been on Meteora originally, but it definitely is a strong enough song to be on the original release.

2 hours ago, Deafandblind said:

Imagine if they did release the Summer Sonic show on youtube for the QWERTY release

that would be a dream!
but I think it's unlikely!

On 2/26/2024 at 4:16 PM, LPLStaff said:

What would be really cool is a QWERTY release with a new video by Mark with studio footage from the MTM era. Imagine if they have even just a few clips of the band recording that one. And the band rehearsing it, there is definitely footage from Tokyo Zepp 2006 of that as Mark is backstage filming also pre-show there. The long version of LPTV has that clip. Mark has a tremendous talent with the video editing - I'd love to see what he could do with QWERTY.

Take the opportunity and put the live version out with it and put the Summer Sonic video on YouTube with that. Why not?

By the way - the band has that full Tokyo 2006 show as evidenced by the QWERTY, OSC, PMA, etc footage in that LPTV... we need that show so badly. Could be one of the best releases they've ever done if they put it out one day.

Ever since I heard the first audios of this show I've wanted this show.
The entire harcore fan base needs this full proshot show.
I hope the band releases this show in the next few years.

I have high expectations for a video for QWERTY to come out next month or in April. just crossing your fingers.

23 hours ago, martinez said:

Warner Records Press release: https://i.ibb.co/MNbXCr1/45865.jpg

Warner highlighted qwerty! :)

CD: 4-panel Softpak with 2 pockets, 16-page booklet - 093624846017 / 726266-2

Vinyl standard (black): 12" Vinyl gatefold sleeve with two pockets. Two x 12" printed Inner bags. 12" Vinyl Lyrics/Credits 4 page folder insert - 093624846000 / 726366-1

4 hours ago, martinez said:

CD: 4-panel Softpak with 2 pockets, 16-page booklet - 093624846017 / 726266-2

Vinyl standard (black): 12" Vinyl gatefold sleeve with two pockets. Two x 12" printed Inner bags. 12" Vinyl Lyrics/Credits 4 page folder insert - 093624846000 / 726366-1

i believe the last jewel case CD that LP has released was OML Live. after that, it's just digipak/softpak. i love digipak but i miss a lot jewel case. 🥹

Isn't it a bit sad how we hype so much for a new release, then 1 week after it's realeased the magic is gone? It's a bittersweet feeling, like i'm taking things for granted.

Best example of this was Pictureboard, i think. 2 decades craving for it, and after the release it all just gets behind like it never happened or meant much.