Friendly Fire / Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023)

martinez

A brand new song "Friendly Fire", realised during the OML album sessions is released this Friday. The song is also part of the album "Papercuts" which is a compilation of the singles the band released from 2000 to 2023. The album will be released digitally and physically on April 12, 2024.

"Papercuts" album tracklist:

01.Crawling
02.Faint
03.Numb/Encore
04.Papercut
05.Breaking The Habit
06.In The End
07.Bleed It Out
08.Somewhere I Belong
09.Waiting For The End
10.Castle Of Glass
11.One More Light
12.Burn It Down
13.What I’ve Done
14.QWERTY
15.One Step Closer
16.New Divide
17.Leave Out All The Rest
18.Lost
19.Numb
20.Friendly Fire

What do you think about the new song?

Source: Apple Music/Qobuz | HQ cover: album

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, martinez said:

And just like i thought - Numb/Encore is the only one with new mastering, other songs are untouched.

wondering, why Numb/Encore is the only song with new mastering? 

quick one: will QWERTY release on the album release date or could it be earlier? just like Fighting Myself?

Qwerty was a surprise.
I'm curious to see how a heavy song will perform within the mainstream. Would be cool a new Qwerty mix!

About the artwork, the album cover is ok. A little bit lazy, but fine.

The Friendly Fire one we have is weird. Weird color, weird type that don't seem to harmonize. And the ugly elypse element thing (that i totally remember Maddocks tried some stuff like that in the past, in those scrapped logos and elements for the past album cycles)

About the THP missing, i can totally see a 10 year deluxe edition celebration incoming with a proper release and better marketing campaign than the original release.

Edited by vinifeijo

12 minutes ago, Stranger said:

wondering, why Numb/Encore is the only song with new mastering?

They probably didn't have it in Hi-Res version, it's the first time the song will be available in that quality.

10 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

I'm curious to see how a heavy song will perform within the mainstream. Would be cool a new Qwerty mix!

I already answered on that:

14 minutes ago, martinez said:

And just like i thought - Numb/Encore is the only one with new mastering, other songs are untouched.

Just now, martinez said:

They probably didn't have it in Hi-Res version, it's the first time the song will be available in that quality.

I already answered on that:

understood. thanks for the clarification! i hope this new "Numb/Encore" mix is a teased for COLLISION COURSE 20th Anniversary or something. 🥹

Love it, great prechorus, cool bridge, catchy chorus. Drums sound cool when it's their time to shine, same for guitars, they are louder than on some other OML songs. In my perfect little world, this song would be on OML instead of SFN which is my least favorite song, but I know most of you love it, which is good for you :) gonna give it a spin again and again

41 minutes ago, martinez said:

Correction on myself - also track 16, New Divide has new mastering, it is the song that never was available as hi-res too.

4 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Love it, great prechorus, cool bridge, catchy chorus. Drums sound cool when it's their time to shine, same for guitars, they are louder than on some other OML songs. In my perfect little world, this song would be on OML instead of SFN which is my least favorite song, but I know most of you love it, which is good for you :) gonna give it a spin again and again

it seems like FRIENDLY FIRE a bit different (not much) than the rest of OML tracks. is it because they mix differently? but as Martinez told us, only "Numb/Encore" is new mastering.

3 minutes ago, Stranger said:

it seems like FRIENDLY FIRE a bit different (not much) than the rest of OML tracks. is it because they mix differently? but as Martinez told us, only "Numb/Encore" is new mastering.

yeah, it has the vibe like OML, but it is mixed a differently in my opinion. yeah, N/E is new mastering, as well as ND, but I think he mentioned that FF wasnt mastered before. they either mixed it differently back then or it is a new tweaked mix. 

and dude, the last post-chorus part is epic.

10 minutes ago, Igussek said:

Man, I got chills at the end. Chester vocals is another level.

Very similar to Halway Right, maybe they choose between these two

I was also thinking that "Friendly Fire" sounded similar to "Halfway Right".

Alright, my thoughts so far... the artwork is pretty lame and weird decisions have been made regarding the included songs. Really needed a THP song and QWERTY is surprising. But, still hyped to listen to Friendly Fire!

Also, notice how the album is structured like it's a live show setlist. So by listening from beginning to end, it should almost be like a live experience :)

Friendly Fire is like a OML track with the shiny polished screen protector removed

I agree with not putting it on the album, it just doesn’t fit sonically - but as with the rest of the album, Chester is on point 

The melodies are nice, but I guess this song doesn't really have anything "special" that would make it different from other OML songs (it reminded me a bit of Halfway Right) so it makes sense it didn't make the album cut (Lost/Numb situation). As far as the collection release, it seems kinda odd/rushed so I wonder if Mike and the band are really fully on board with this. I mean, Mike has been pretty active on social media in the last few months promoting his stuff but has barely said anything about this upcoming release. Anyway, if it's just a vinyl release, I guess I'll just save money lol don't care for vinyl.

Also, no THP is a disgrace (it's my favorite LP Album). If it had been a "greatest hits" I would have understood it, but if it's a compilation of singles, put at least one song there.

7 minutes ago, danielpsoad-09 said:

The melodies are nice, but I guess this song doesn't really have anything "special" that would make it different from other OML songs (it reminded me a bit of Halfway Right) so it makes sense it didn't make the album cut (Lost/Numb situation). As far as the collection release, it seems kinda odd/rushed so I wonder if Mike and the band are really fully on board with this. I mean, Mike has been pretty active on social media in the last few months promoting his stuff but has barely said anything about this upcoming release. Anyway, if it's just a vinyl release, I guess I'll just save money lol don't care for vinyl.

Also, no THP is a disgrace (it's my favorite LP Album). If it had been a "greatest hits" I would have understood it, but if it's a compilation of singles, put at least one song there.

It will also be released on cd. 

It is a greatest hits. Singles collection and greatest hits in this case are equivalent since all the biggest LP songs are singles. Using spotify as a metric to value the songs popularity, the first non single in the top streamed songs are at number 19 and 20, and they are a place for my head and lying from you, which makes sense to exclude in this release so that hybrid and meteora don't overshadow all the rest of LP discography.

Everything feels rushed, really. 

The MS Already Over campaign felt like it would last longer (the first Studio Sessions had a 1month interval between them, and the 2 or 3 last ones had 1 week).
The Critters thing (his website game) also ended abruptly and some prizes are still to be acknowledged and delivered.

Definitely something odd happened here.

But hey, let's enjoy! Thank you so much for releasing one more song with Chester ❤️ that's all that matters.

1 minute ago, vinifeijo said:

Everything feels rushed, really. 

The MS Already Over campaign felt like it would last longer (the first Studio Sessions had a 1month interval between them, and the 2 or 3 last ones had 1 week).
The Critters thing (his website game) also ended abruptly and some prizes are still to be acknowledged and delivered.

Definitely something odd happened here.

But hey, let's enjoy! Thank you so much for releasing one more song with Chester ❤️ that's all that matters.

This ! The timing and the whole campaign is super odd, it’s like if the label pushed them to release FF, but no complaints at all, we’re getting the song like 10 years prior to my expectations 😂

I have been a LP fan for a long time but I joined LPlive recently. I had no idea that the LP fam was this whiny. Almost all the comments here are to complain about something, the artwork, the tracklist, the timing, the reason for this release, etc. 🤣