Friendly Fire / Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023)

martinez

57 minutes ago, linkin_boss said:

I think a good chunk of Mike's not getting a lot of success is that whenever he comes to conversation a lot of people have no idea who he is. I run into this pretty often, until I say ahh the guy that raps in Linkin Park, and then everyone goes "Aaaaaaahhhhh....." I think just by carrying the Linkin Park name, whether they get a singer to deal with the parts Mike can't reach or if they do new stuff just with him, it would be more successful than his solo career.

However, there will be people complaining that LINKIN PARK will never reach the same the same success with chester. 
fact but we need to move forward with an open mind. 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Mike has been trying to have a hit as the main vocalist and has failed every single time. (Waiting For Tomorrow, Aoki collabs, Invisible etc etc)

those are collaboration tracks and for Invisible (or any Mike main vocal track in LP album) always been overshadowed by Chester. it's time for Mike to prove that he capable to lead the band with 100% fresh new materials with his vocal lead the song. he should try and if fails, then they know what to do next. but trust me, any materials post-CB era will blown the internet. 

2 hours ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Doubt it. just going off the Shinoda releases, they never got close to the hype of an LP release. The rest of the members aren’t big rockstar personalities so their contributions won’t add much to the casual fans.

that's because he released those materials under the banner of "MIKE SHINODA". hell, Mike can ever releases "ALREADY OVER" as LP track if he want to but he carefully not to do that because people will still fkin complain bout it. 

2 hours ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Ha! Fair take. I still see comments to this day: " I stopped listening after Meteora". Like, ok dude. 2004 wants their opinion back.  

Remember when OML came out? Many people saying "Linkin Park doesn't make metal anymore, what a bunch of sellouts". Same people who haven't heard of THP and repeat the same arguments from 2007 when MTM came out. Where have you been that decade?

2 hours ago, Stranger said:

those are collaboration tracks and for Invisible (or any Mike main vocal track in LP album) always been overshadowed by Chester. it's time for Mike to prove that he capable to lead the band with 100% fresh new materials with his vocal lead the song. he should try and if fails, then they know what to do next. but trust me, any materials post-CB era will blown the internet. 

that's because he released those materials under the banner of "MIKE SHINODA". hell, Mike can ever releases "ALREADY OVER" as LP track if he want to but he carefully not to do that because people will still fkin complain bout it. 

Of course, people will complain one way or the other, but at the end of the day it will still mostly as a "hardcore linkin park fan" discussion. I don't think the mainstream audiences would engage in that discussion for long.

Here's what Mark Fiore said during the YouTube chat in case anyone missed it:

some great footage o Chester in this video. it will make you feel happy

hardest part about the video was making it worthy of the song

guys the song is so good.

you are gonna be so happy to have a another new LP song

this TOP 5 for sure

I remember connecting deeply with this song while filming the band in the studio years ago, so it was really special for me when I got asked to create this video."

"this is what MS said to me about the song.... "The song is about looking into the distant past with a loved one, and realizing that sometimes best intentions can still cause hurt."

youtube won't play the video unless there are 100K people in the waiting room

so start telling your friends

want me to make music videos for all the THP songs?

“Friendly Fire” is an amazing song! I am really happy with the way the video turned out and I hope the video does this song justice… thanks everyone for being here for the premiere… Enjoy! 

-Mark

What I like the most about this song, is that Chester's vocals don't sound as thin as the rest of OML. I think that record is a hard listen sometimes, because Chester seemed to have lost some of his bottom end throughout the last years, and the EQ on OML certainly didn't help. I feel like the low frequencies are more beefed up here, or at least, somehow this performance sounds fuller to me than than most of OML.

Edited by Fleur de Lys

38 minutes ago, linkin_boss said:

Of course, people will complain one way or the other, but at the end of the day it will still mostly as a "hardcore linkin park fan" discussion. I don't think the mainstream audiences would engage in that discussion for long.

hardcore fans complain but yet, still, here we are. supporting the band but for casual fans, they will notice the band if they making new song (not a new old song). As for now, 2 new old song released by LP and casual fans starts to ask if the band will making new song as in fresh start. Also there’s a negative perception that LP using AI for these releases song. They stuck at that position with the mindset that LP dont have a brand new song. So Mike should step in and making new song/album with the rest of the band! It will be instant blow!

Here's a quote from Brad about Friendly Fire from https://consequence.net/2024/02/linkin-park-greatest-hits-album-friendly-fire-stream/

Speaking about the track, guitarist Brad Delson said, “Friendly Fire’ was always one of our favorite songs from the One More Light sessions. Something about it wasn’t quite right so as close as it got to the finish line, we chose to set it aside for later. When we started looking for an unreleased track to include on our greatest hits collection, I was blown away by the power of the song, the power of the storytelling, the power of the vocal, the sonic landscape and I actually thought that it was closer than maybe we had realized at the time.”

Delson continued, “We got together to work on it and connect some of the missing pieces that for whatever reason hadn’t revealed themselves during the recording of One More Light. I can’t wait for people to hear it. It’s such a beautiful, compelling, heartbreaking, hopeful story and it really resonates with me today.”

30 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Here's a quote from Brad about Friendly Fire from https://consequence.net/2024/02/linkin-park-greatest-hits-album-friendly-fire-stream/

Speaking about the track, guitarist Brad Delson said, “Friendly Fire’ was always one of our favorite songs from the One More Light sessions. Something about it wasn’t quite right so as close as it got to the finish line, we chose to set it aside for later. When we started looking for an unreleased track to include on our greatest hits collection, I was blown away by the power of the song, the power of the storytelling, the power of the vocal, the sonic landscape and I actually thought that it was closer than maybe we had realized at the time.”

Delson continued, “We got together to work on it and connect some of the missing pieces that for whatever reason hadn’t revealed themselves during the recording of One More Light. I can’t wait for people to hear it. It’s such a beautiful, compelling, heartbreaking, hopeful story and it really resonates with me today.”

Interesting! I wonder if they will ever release the nearly finished demo version from OML

It's also nice to hear that they got together and worked on a new song together. I hope they do more of that - I'm sure there are unfinished songs with vocals that can be worked into something all-new if needed.

They probably changed the mix and did maybe some programming or added layers. I thought the mix was different than rest of OML as I said somewhere earlier in the thread, this confirms it basically. but nice thing is, that they got together to work on it some more. I dont think that those changes they made were major, but just minor tweaks

Nah, I didn't like FF so much on first listen. As a lot of other OML tracks back then, it felt me unimpressed, and with little desire to replay it.

Part of it is tastes: I'm not super fond of that type of "empowering/sweet/bright" pop. The other part is I really think the songwriting is not that great. 

Man, I just don't get that era I guess 😅

Linkin Park were inspired to thoughtfully curate Papercuts by their fans’ passionate reception of the 20th Anniversary Editions of Hybrid Theory in 2020 and Meteora last year. That enthusiasm led to this comprehensive retrospective of the band’s journey so far in the span of one album.

20 hours ago, martinez said:

And just like i thought - Numb/Encore is the only one with new mastering, other songs are untouched.

EDIT: also New Divide.

Did you come to this conclusion because these tracks aren't available in hi-res yet? I'm a bit confused

10 minutes ago, Stranger said:

so, QWERTY is produced by Rick Rubin & Mike Shinoda.  so it will be the Studio Demo version from LPU6.

GHAXrksW8AAAOay?format=jpg&name=large

I guess in hindsight it was to be expected, New single aside this seems to be a very formulaic compilation. I'd be surprised if they did anything interesting with the album booklet.

2 hours ago, Bambitt said:

Very cool that they worked together on it.

I don't think it was just mixing. The distorted powerchords in the bridge/last chorus is not what they were going for with OML. Also, the huge drumfill before the last chorus.

I think they purposefully made it more rockband-esque. Even the intro with the organ-synth, I feel like it is more "rock" than the production that would have been on there in 2017... but it is, of course, just speculation. The song is only better for it imo, the band have a better idea of what they are now plus the OML-2010s-popsound is already dated.