Friendly Fire / Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023)

martinez

1 hour ago, gorast said:

Warner is not beating the cash grab allegations by having the album versions with phantom transitions all over this compilation, lol.

44 minutes ago, gorast said:

That’s just as goofy IMO. Like, sure, you don’t need to put too much work into a singles compilation, but what is the idea behind using the album versions when they won’t be cohesive? Compilations like this used to at least be cohesive to themselves, whether by using the single versions or new mixes that cut out the transitions. Is this some sort of Spotify backend thing where they need to be the album versions for tracking streams or something like that?

Agreed. That's pretty shitty and gives them impression of their team putting the lowest effort possible on this compilation. The album transitions completely ruin the listening experience. The only thing they did right was QWERTY, which seems to be newly edited.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Them using the album versions, despite single versions clearly being avilable (for obvious reasons) is a truly mindboggling move. It becomes extra stupid (IMO) when you keep in mind that, for example Leave It Out All The Rest and Bleed It Out are BOTH on there, if you pull that move at least put them after the other. Time for a recall imo

Don't think a few seconds before/after the song is that big of a deal and likely not very noticeable to the general public (who this is catered to) outside of hardcore fans. Definitely noticed ASAP. At bare minimum, it'd be nice to have the Faint intro fixed to the full intro on streaming for this.

BUT if that messes up Meteora transitions then don't do it. It may be harder to have multiple song versions on digital streaming than we think and have them all count for the same play counts. Are there examples of this in music? Like if they put the single version of What I've Done up? It isn't on Spotify.

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

At bare minimum, it'd be nice to have the Faint intro fixed to the full intro on streaming for this.

BUT if that messes up Meteora transitions then don't do it.

It's too late for that and if they will do that to the current already released album it will effect some of the past releases.

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

It may be harder to have multiple song versions on digital streaming than we think and have them all count for the same play counts. Are there examples of this in music? Like if they put the single version of What I've Done up? It isn't on Spotify.

That's because the single version of WID was included to all Minutes To Midnight pre-orders and later was associated with all already released versions of MTM probably because they didn't have the album version of it ready around the time when the single was out. So the digital single and album had the same single version of the song and had the same identifier (the ISRC code), so later in 2012 when they were fixing all the MTM albums by providing to them the album version of the song it was also affecting all the versions of the digital single.

But in general, they can put out the single version without messing the versions in the album all they have to do is use a different ISRC code for the single version and that's all. I would love to have a single version of the song back again in the WID single. It would require them to re-release the single, but that doesn't seem a problem for them. They re-released WFTE as 3 track in 2020. New Divide, Heavy were re-relased in 2023 on spotify with different tracklistings.

8 hours ago, bloodbath said:

What's the difference between the WID single and album editions? Needless to say that I agree with all of you that this release was lazy 

The single edit of "What I've Done", also used in the song's music video, doesn't include the ending of the keyboard interlude carrying over from "Shadow Of The Day" on the album. In turn, the single edit of "Shadow Of The Day" ends with the delayed guitar and sample loop fading out and doesn't include the keyboard interlude. Some of these singles and such might not be available worldwide.

EDIT:

12 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

BUT if that messes up Meteora transitions then don't do it. It may be harder to have multiple song versions on digital streaming than we think and have them all count for the same play counts. Are there examples of this in music? Like if they put the single version of What I've Done up? It isn't on Spotify.

Funnily enough, he main editions of "Meteora" on digital platforms currently wrongly use the single of "Faint" (an error which was avoided on the anniversary edition of "Meteora") so the transitions are already messed up. And, at least where I am, some of the singles, including "What I've Done", are on Spotify

Edited by minuteforce
added

1 hour ago, minuteforce said:

Funnily enough, he main editions of "Meteora" on digital platforms currently wrongly use the single of "Faint" (an error which was avoided on the anniversary edition of "Meteora") so the transitions are already messed up.

I recently checked out the main and the bonus editions on spotify and some other platforms and the label already fixed that.

1 hour ago, minuteforce said:

And, at least where I am, some of the singles, including "What I've Done", are on Spotify

Yes on spotify and some other platforms there are 3 different versions of the WID single each one with different tracklist but since 2012 none of them currently have the single version of the song.

3 hours ago, martinez said:

I recently checked out the main and the bonus editions on spotify and some other platforms and the label already fixed that.

Yes on spotify and some other platforms there are 3 different versions of the WID single each one with different tracklist but since 2012 none of them currently have the single version of the song.

Must be a geo thing because both of these things are untrue for me

EDIT: actually, never mind - you're right on both 😄 

I got confused in the case of "What I've Done" because, on Spotify, there's still the fade-in at the start but it's a fade-in with the keyboard tail instead of without

Edited by minuteforce

20 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Don't think a few seconds before/after the song is that big of a deal and likely not very noticeable to the general public (who this is catered to) outside of hardcore fans. Definitely noticed ASAP. At bare minimum, it'd be nice to have the Faint intro fixed to the full intro on streaming for this.

I disagree on the "not very noticeable" part. Like take the moving over from LOATR to BIO. If you seperate the two its EXTREMLY noticeable regardless of being a fan or not.

Sorry me again, I just checked my vinyl copy and guess what: All single versions are in place. Also I noticed the centre label says Friendly Fire has a runtime of 4:24. Probably an error, unless someone can confirm its actually a different version

4 hours ago, minuteforce said:

I got confused in the case of "What I've Done" because, on Spotify, there's still the fade-in at the start but it's a fade-in with the keyboard tail instead of without

The same issues are in some editions of MTM WID is fade in, while SOTD has fade out at the end.

13 minutes ago, rd1994 said:

Sorry me again, I just checked my vinyl copy and guess what: All single versions are in place. Also I noticed the centre label says Friendly Fire has a runtime of 4:24. Probably an error, unless someone can confirm its actually a different version

That's what i thought. Is there anywhere in the credits an info like "mastered for a vinyl" for example in the credits for LOATR? Also, is Lost, BTH and OML have different lengths? Those are what they should have it:

Breaking The Habit (03:16)

One More Light (04:15)

Lost (03:19)

Things get weirder and weirder. From multiple users I hear that their CD has all the album versions and I just checked my CD copy and it has the single versions on it. I checked LOATR and the single version ends with Chester solo singing "I can't be who you are" ...just like my version on Papercuts.

Can anybody post their catalogue numbers?

6 minutes ago, rd1994 said:

Things get weirder and weirder. From multiple users I hear that their CD has all the album versions and I just checked my CD copy and it has the single versions on it. I checked LOATR and the single version ends with Chester solo singing "I can't be who you are" ...just like my version on Papercuts.

Can anybody post their catalogue numbers?

Can you post the length of all tracks from the CD?

2 minutes ago, rd1994 said:

image.png?ex=662d512a&is=661adc2a&hm=3c2

Thank You!

So Lost was also edited sinc it has 3:16, not 3:19. The ending of it was probably shortened. I wold like to compare it and the rest of the tracks.

1 minute ago, martinez said:

Thank You!

So Lost was also edited sinc it has 3:16, not 3:19. The ending of it was probably shortened. I wold like to compare it and the rest of the tracks.

Lost just has no silence at the end. The Meteora 20 version has 3 seconds of silence at the end. Its not different apart from that. Also I checked What I've Done seems to be the album version since listening loud made me hear that last note from the Interlude at the end of Shadow of the Day.

4 minutes ago, rd1994 said:

Lost just has no silence at the end. The Meteora 20 version has 3 seconds of silence at the end. Its not different apart from that. Also I checked What I've Done seems to be the album version since listening loud made me hear that last note from the Interlude at the end of Shadow of the Day.

Thanks for the info! OML has 4:12 not 4:15 is it also because of few seconds of silence removed at the end?

1 minute ago, martinez said:

Thanks for the info! OML has 4:12 not 4:15 is it also because of few seconds of silence removed at the end?

yes. Everything else for the other tracks that seem to be "shorter"

14 hours ago, bloodbath said:

Like HT20, no quality control whatsoever 

To be fair like HT20 was a first for the band, but look at the second time they did it with Meteora20, that was a quality step up. This is a first too, being the first time they’re doing an inter-album collection like this. Not saying it is an excuse to any fuck ups though, at all. If they genuinely made mistakes, they’ll learn to improve from them and not do it again. Believe it or not even the most sophisticated professionals still can mess shit up in their most skilled areas.

It’s so jarring and weird to have the album versions on Spotify, like, I can go past the 1 second of Blackout at the end of WFTE, but having the walkout noises and Chester talking at the end of LOATR and then there’s no BIO right after but another song (Lost or Numb, don’t remember the tracks order) is ehhhh