What's After "Pictureboard"? Discussing Linkin Park's "Holy Grail" Cuts

LPLStaff

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, KlaytonShinoda said:

Because there's none. What you saw there it exists because they were messing around, that's it. Not hard to follow.

To be fair (and forgive me if I'm wrong)  if you listen closely to that clip from the making of, Chester is singing over something. Obviously the "Wizard song" itself is just Chester messing around. But there is a distinct instrumental playing in the background that hes singing over (and maybe another vocal track?) Who knows what that was. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Meteora demo akin to the ones released on LPU.

2 hours ago, 1996_LP said:

To be fair (and forgive me if I'm wrong)  if you listen closely to that clip from the making of, Chester is singing over something. Obviously the "Wizard song" itself is just Chester messing around. But there is a distinct instrumental playing in the background that hes singing over (and maybe another vocal track?) Who knows what that was. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Meteora demo akin to the ones released on LPU.

He was just singing over a base easily made by Mike for the lols (just notice how extremely similar sounded to 98% of the Meteora demos we've heard so far, same drum machine and guitars).

26 minutes ago, KlaytonShinoda said:

He was just singing over a base easily made by Mike for the lols (just notice how extremely similar sounded to 98% of the Meteora demos we've heard so far, same drum machine and guitars).

I HIGHLY doubt that instrumental was made "for the lols," because that would mean the instrumental would have been written with the vocal in mind. That's not how their songwriting process worked back then. That instrumental was probably made months before Chester ever sang over it.

I never understood Chester saying "It doesn't exist" when asked if the band would ever release it on an LPU or something. Obviously it exists, and one thing we all know about LP is that they never truly trash their demos or unfinished stuff. They keep everything in case they want to revisit an idea or take parts from it in the future or whatever. We know Mike literally has hard drives in storage with old LP stuff on it that we've never heard. So the Wizard Song is definitely somewhere.

13 hours ago, Astat said:

I HIGHLY doubt that instrumental was made "for the lols," because that would mean the instrumental would have been written with the vocal in mind. That's not how their songwriting process worked back then. That instrumental was probably made months before Chester ever sang over it.

99% likely this too aswell. There's a crap ton of unreleased Meteora stuff before they started recording.

19 hours ago, SFNL14 said:

Maybe the instrumental exists, but not the song? I mean they clearly made the instrumental but maybe didn't record the vocals over it and this video was just them goofing around not recording it?

Since Chester sings over another take of himself this is not the case

10 hours ago, daroker510 said:

If you seperate the audio from that segment and hear only the instrumental you can hear harmonizing in the song but its quiet low.

Dude it's pretty obvious especially when he differs his vocals on "wearing his magic hats"

Also he sings a whole octave below the other take the whole "chorus" (send me your powers)

I hope I recall the lyrics correctly

• 4 weeks later...

https://loudwire.com/linkin-park-long-awaited-song-picture-board-release/

"Fans have known about ‘Pictureboard for about 19 or 20 years. They’ve known of the existence of it, but didn’t know at all what it sounded like." He revealed that after being asked about it frequently, they at one point thought of making it an LPU fan club song, but it had a sample that needed to be cleared, which seemed a little unrealistic at the time.

Shinoda marveled at the fan determination to uncover the track over the years. "There’s so many songs … why is there so much focus on this one? You’ve never even heard it," he pondered. But even after clearing the sample (which he revealed was a Barry White drum sample), fans were able to piece together that the clip of audio was from an interlude the band had played at a rock festival in 2000 or 2001.

He recalls, "I remember getting that and saying, ‘Hey, what do you think of this guy? He just sent us this recording.’ I wasn’t like crying with joy, but almost. I was like, ‘Wow, I don’t even know what that is.’ He’s so tiny and vulnerable on the verse and you can hear all those timbres and harmonics and then all the overtones on the heavy part. To me, it just blew my hat off my head. And then we were like, ‘We gotta meet this guy.’”

Pictureboard was on the Xero audition tape?

53 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Pictureboard was on the Xero audition tape?

It seems so! So, on the Xero audition tape, we have: "Esaul", "Rhinestone" and "Pictureboard"! And maybe "Stick N´Move"? Or even Dialate? Those tapes had a tight limit right?

On 9/29/2020 at 10:38 PM, jopevc said:

It seems so! So, on the Xero audition tape, we have: "Esaul", "Rhinestone" and "Pictureboard"! And maybe "Stick N´Move"? Or even Dialate? Those tapes had a tight limit right?

TDK 90's were common at that point so you you could get quite a lot of each side

By Myself ("Much Too Easy" Version)

I was absolutely sure that it would come out on "Hybrid Theory: 20th Anniversary Edition", but this didn't happen.

Where did that part, recorded from the air, come from?

Edited by Zoom

5 hours ago, Zoom said:

I was absolutely sure that it would come out on "Hybrid Theory: 20th Anniversary Edition", but this didn't happen.

Same like I wanna hear that so badly you would think they would of put it in HT20 but instead we got one of the versions from the demo discs around early 2000, maybe one day we will hear it but who knows, thats my holy grail. Also another for me would be Jane Says Cover Proshot I just love the way Chester sings that.

Edited by RayGun4200

11 hours ago, Zoom said:

It's in the background in Mike's vocal tracks in the By Myself multitracks. It's the sound of the music playing in his headphones being picked up by the mic he was singing into.

I think a huge holy grail right now apart from already mentioned ones, could've been xero audtion tape with chester's vocals on it, from which I think Stick N Move comes from.

I also suspect existence of a different version of And One, that is more reminiscent of the live version. Also since Technique (Short) exists, there may be a longer version as well. I remember that there was a thread somewhere on this site speculating existence of different demos, but I don't remember its name. 

3 hours ago, thedamian58c said:

I think a huge holy grail right now apart from already mentioned ones, could've been xero audtion tape with chester's vocals on it, from which I think Stick N Move comes from.

Stick N Move was recorded in early 2000 according to the book.