What's After "Pictureboard"? Discussing Linkin Park's "Holy Grail" Cuts

LPLStaff

Last week, we discussed Linkin Park's legendary demo "Pictureboard" at length.

"Pictureboard" is probably the most highly-anticipated demo from the band's catalogue solely because it's the one that has been talked about the most. Since the existence of the song was discovered in an LPU chat with Mike in 2005, fans have always wanted to hear the song and it has appeared as the #1 on fans' wish lists for LP Underground CDs ever since. There was a rumor that it was once considered for release in 2009, but the sample held the song up, and it only fueled the excitement for the song.

Eleven years after LPU 9, the song is confirmed to be on Hybrid Theory 20 (due in October), bringing the 15 year saga finally to an end. While we all know "Pictureboard" is not the BEST song, it will be fantastic to finally have the track after it has been discussed so much in the band's history. 

So after "Pictureboard", we ask... what's next? What other songs are THE "holy grail" items for fans in the band's catalogue? There are a few, and we'll run through them really quickly. And note, these are in no particular order.

#1. "Thoughts That Take Away My Pride"

When The Making Of Meteora DVD was released with Meteora, fans immediately noticed a demo that wasn't on the album. In this case, a five second clip of Chester singing "thoughts that take away my pride, trapped in places deep inside" over an instrumental has almost become legendary in the Linkin Park community, especially since Linkin Park has not released any full extra songs (with vocals) for Meteora like they have for Hybrid Theory and Minutes To Midnight. 

A lyric sheet of the song can be seen during Frat Party At The Pankake Festival, meaning it dates back to 2001. The words were also scribbled on the Meteora art wall at one point. In 2007, the second LPTV series was released and the episode about the Summer Sanitarium Tour features an instrumental clip from the song (2:14 for reference) as one of Mark Fiore's traditional teases.

The lyric sheet shows:

thoughts that take away my pride

trapped in places deep inside

memories i've come to fear

and it can't make them disappear

[thoughts like these return to me]

thoughts take away my pride

trapped in places deep inside

[memories trapped inside of me]

memories i've come to fear

and i can't make them disappear

The band has never talked about the track, but it's probably one of only a few (maybe just one or two) extra songs that exist from the Meteora recording sessions. We don't even know the official title of the track, but this is likely the top song requested from fans after "Pictureboard."

02. "Friendly Fire"

"Friendly Fire" was a song that was written for One More Light by Mike, Brad, and Jon Green. The title was first seen on a song board in a picture Joe Hahn posted on September 6, 2016 alongside songs that made the album.

In a stream on June 17, 2020, Mike confirmed the song was completely finished and had vocals from Chester on it. He said, "There was a song, a One More Light song, that we mixed. We mixed more than the finished album and we mixed a couple other songs just to see if one of them would make the cut or if we would use it for a b-side. And it was Friendly Fire. A Jon Green co-write. I wrote that with Jon, I think it was me, Jon, and Brad mostly. I still love that song." He went on to say that the song wouldn't be coming out soon, but would likely be released one day.

This immediately made rock headlines across the world, as news outlets caught on to just the fact that Mike said "an unreleased song exists with Chester's vocals"... but we all know the band goes through a LOT of music and demos each album.

When asked a few days later about more unreleased One More Light songs, Mike said, "Every album we've got so many songs that we make and you know, they're not... some of them are just in really like, half cooked, half baked conditions. So I mean, I think fans tend to be very overly optimistic about those types of things. In their imagination, there's some gem that's the best Linkin Park song that's sitting on a hard drive somewhere. I promise you that's not the case. The best stuff is always the stuff we put on the record. There are some songs where we were like, "oh this is really good", but it's not better than the record. Some of it is like, a verse and chorus copied twice and that's the second verse as well... it's like half done, it's not done."

03. Meteora remixes

In an August 2003 LPU chat, Joe Hahn was questioned if the band would be making a remix album for Meteora, his answer was, "No Mike thought it was too much work so no."

However, in interviews with MTV in 2003, both Chester and Mike mentioned the band had done some remixes but wouldn't be releasing them on an album like they did with Reanimation, instead, Mike said, they would be released via "various channels in the coming months."

When questioned about the remixes during an LPU chat in March 2006, Rob Bourdon said, "There are Meteora remixes? Oh yeah those. Those will make their way to the surface sometime, I don't know when."

In 2020, Mike was questioned about them during a live stream. He said, "I don't know if that's true. I don't remember them. If we did. But you know, if they're around somewhere maybe they end up coming out. Since you've said that I'll keep an eye out for any meteora remixes when I'm, you know, in the hard drives looking for stuff."

We don't know what songs were remixed by the band for Meteora - if it was just one or two, or a substantial number. If the band was considering releasing them at one point in 2003, they are likely good.

04. "A-Six" with vocals

Another demo from The Making Of Meteora with Chester singing "just drag it out, remember" was confirmed by Brad in an LPU chat in 2003 (after Meteora had been released) to have been a part of the song "A6".

"A.06" appeared in a short version on the LP Underground 2.0 CD and the original long instrumental demo appeared on the LP Underground 9.0: Demos CD, but no version with vocals has ever been released. Since two versions of the track have already been released, Linkin Park may not release a THIRD version of it with vocals... but you never know.

05. Team Sleep's "My December" Remix

Another remix of "My December" was made by DJ Crook of Team Sleep. His remix was rumored to have been "too dark" to make the album. This information was published by fan site LPFuse in 2004. DJ Shadow is also rumored to be featured on the song with his scratching.

A post by Astat on LPAssociation in 2006 said, "It's supposed to be a really dark and moody techno/ambience remix of My December done by Team Sleep and featuring scratches by the legendary DJ Shadow, but that's about all anyone knows about it. I don't think being too "dark" for the album is the sole reason though, if Mike saw it as not album-worthy and then never released it but did put out 2 other Reanimation b-sides, chances are it may not have been a very good remix in the first place."

When asked through Twitter in September 2013 about the possibility of the remix being released someday, DJ Crook answered "probably never..sorry!"

With Hybrid Theory 20 coming and the track not appearing on the release, it is likely we will never hear this song. It may not even be that good, in the end, and may just be a weaker remix. The two extra remixes from Reanimation (Points of Authority by Crystal Method and By Myself by Manson) are really strong, so if My December wasn't included like those were... chances are, it's not the best.

06. Rob's Meteora drum track

In the Making of Meteora DVD, a clip of Rob playing drums over a nice instrumental is seen in a brief video clip. This track is frequently talked about in the community, but it's just one of those tiny clips on the DVD that no one knows anything about.

Unfortunately no information has ever surfaced about the song. It is actually surprising that it is not in one of the many Meteora instrumentals the band has released, which could mean it was either scrapped entirely early on, or it is actually in one of the few unreleased full songs from the sessions.

What do you think? Will some of these tracks eventually make their way out besides "Friendly Fire"?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal holy grails

Blackout demo

Thoughts That Take Away My Pride

The Meeting of a thousand suns documentary heavy demo

Friendly Fire

No Roads Left (Chester on vocals)

and A.06 with vocals would be nice too

figure 09 with mike singing the Verses. 

chester no road left.

fear with mike and chester singing the verses together 

Fire In The City

My Horizon

And all of those one more light unreleased tracks sound interesting. 

Edited by xeroboi

Meteora vocal demos are my personal holy grail. Despite all the instrumentals we've gotten from that era, it still feels like an absolute black hole. I know that a lot of that is probably down to the deadlines they were running up against, and how long it took to finish just the songs that made the album, but there's gotta be something, right?

If the HT20 box does well, and the band wants to do another one for Meteora, I think we could see some wild stuff for that one. I think a big anniversary could be likely, given that the album went platinum in two weeks and it was a gigantic era. Maybe those mythical Meteora remixes...?

6 minutes ago, gorast said:

Meteora vocal demos are my personal holy grail. Despite all the instrumentals we've gotten from that era, it still feels like an absolute black hole. I know that a lot of that is probably down to the deadlines they were running up against, and how long it took to finish just the songs that made the album, but there's gotta be something, right?

If the HT20 box does well, and the band wants to do another one for Meteora, I think we could see some wild stuff for that one. I think a big anniversary could be likely, given that the album went platinum in two weeks and it was a gigantic era. Maybe those mythical Meteora remixes...?

The ironic thing about HT20 is that, without question, HT is the era with the least amount of completely unreleased material. That's why there's only a few songs on this release that we know absolutely nothing about and haven't heard in any form.

A box set for Meteora 20 could definitely be insane, I agree. Especially if Mike finds those Meteora remixes. Imagine one CD of unheard Meteora demos and B-Sides, including some with vocals, and another disc for the remixes...

By the way, if those Meteora remixes ever do surface, I'm definitely taking credit for reminding Mike about them on Twitch. LOL

Hi! How are you doing?

Here's my holy grails

Grecian

Xero Reborn

Thoughts That Take Away My Pride

My Horizon

Friendly Fire

Fire in the City

F--king Awesome

LeftRight

Meteora Remixes

Until it Breaks (Demo IV)

Patience (No Roads Left w/Chester)

My December (Team Sleep)

PTS.OF.ATHRTY (Crystal Method ft. Ryu)

Deftest

NEVERMIND ALL THAT! HERE'S MY NEW HOLY GRAIL LIST!

Deftest

Anything mentioned on the Jeff Blue Book

Any Show before August 15, 2000, as long as the setlist is different than that show

Edited by MrS

Shifter and Nocturnal (If they are actually B-Sides confirmed from Meteora)

The 17th MtM song (if we don't have It yet)

ATS scrapped songs, like Primo

Some THP B-Side, if it has one

Friendly Fire / Out of Reach

My personal choices would be "Thoughts" from Meteora sessions and "Can We Go Back", both parts (it would be nice to see a 2-part song from LP)

10 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Hybrid is going to have to do really well in order to get a Meteora box set, we'd assume. Like, really well.

I really think it will.

Even if they don't want to do another huge box set like this HT release, I wonder if they would consider a 20th anniversary reissue of Meteora maybe with at least a bonus disc or 2 of stuff.

4 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

06. Rob's Meteora drum track

In the Making of Meteora DVD, a clip of Rob playing drums over a nice instrumental is seen in a brief video clip. This track is frequently talked about in the community, but it's just one of those tiny clips on the DVD that no one knows anything about.

Unfortunately no information has ever surfaced about the song. It is actually surprising that it is not in one of the many Meteora instrumentals the band has released, which could mean it was either scrapped entirely early on, or it is actually in one of the few unreleased full songs from the sessions.

Mike answered my shinodabucks question about this one. (Twitch username: xandersilk)

From what he said on stream:

1. He remembers the demo but not the name.

2. He said there is a heavier part after the Chorus, what we heard in that short clip may or may not be the chorus but judging by Mike’s reaction to it, it probably is the chorus.

3. It was put aside in favor of the tracks they already had for Meteora, which I assume was stuff like Figure.09, Faint, Lying From You, From The Inside and Somewhere I Belong. He said himself and the rest of the band didn’t “love it” as much as the other tracks.

38 minutes ago, IntensityJS said:

Mike answered my shinodabucks question about this one. (Twitch username: xandersilk)

From what he said on stream:

1. He remembers the demo but not the name.

2. He said there is a heavier part after the Chorus, what we heard in that short clip may or may not be the chorus but judging by Mike’s reaction to it, it probably is the chorus.

3. It was put aside in favor of the tracks they already had for Meteora, which I assume was stuff like Figure.09, Faint, Lying From You, From The Inside and Somewhere I Belong. He said himself and the rest of the band didn’t “love it” as much as the other tracks.

Which stream was this? 

4 minutes ago, PharosEigengrau said:

Did I dream it up or wasn't there a version of Wth>You that featured Ryu? If that exists then that's my holy grail lol

I think that was a mistake by some fan site. Like when people said Chester recorded a song with The Visionaries but it was actually Mike and Joe. Ryu confirmed he recorded a verse for The Crystal Method remix of POA, but for some reason his verse was removed from the released version.

3 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

I think that was a mistake by some fan site. Like when people said Chester recorded a song with The Visionaries but it was actually Mike and Joe. Ryu confirmed he recorded a verse for The Crystal Method remix of POA, but for some reason his verse was removed from the released version.

Dang. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

May be a lot to ask but I think it’d be cool if LPL put together a thread with clips of any unreleased stuff we have from “making of” albums and LPTV etc with the names of the demos/etc. Just the ones we do actually have some audio for. And then if we get anymore for something we don’t have or another clip of something we do then it can just be added and updated!

Edited by DylHDZ

1 hour ago, PharosEigengrau said:

Did I dream it up or wasn't there a version of Wth>You that featured Ryu? If that exists then that's my holy grail lol

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

Fine... Didnt know about this one. Thats the holy grail for me now then Pts.Of.Athrty feat. Ryu lmao