LPU XIII Released!

hahninator

Saving my listen for Monday when I hear the rest of the CD.

But this brings up the question....If they were so proud of I'LL BE GONE and it took so long to make and was such a hard song to finalize...why didn't they play it live?

/In before a typical Astat reply of "Because that doesn't have a god damn thing to do with playing a song live?" :P

But seriously....they were so proud of TLTGYA and it was a hard song too. I'm surprised IBG didn't see even one play in 2013. Chester even said in late 2012 they were rehearsing it I believe, or were wanting to play it in 2013.

Beta State confirmed their song name as 'Change'. "Our new Beta State song “Change” from the LPU Sessions will be featured on the LPU XIII CD from the 13th year of LINKIN PARK UNDERGROUND, the official LINKIN PARK community. The CD drops on 11/18/13 on LPUNDERGROUND.COM"

http://betastate.tumblr.com/post/670127068...ge-from-the-lpu

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving my listen for Monday when I hear the rest of the CD.

If you really are going to wait until Monday to listen to Primo, I think you will like it a lot. I know you didn't like most of LIVING THINGS, but this version is really awesome and even though I thought the final version was better, you might really like this. Reminds me of MTM/ATS style songs a lot.

The only way to get it is the shitty 190kbps versions (not even 320) available as digital downloads. That's a big incentive to buy the CD I guess. Maybe that's why good audio quality versions aren't made available ASAP.

Almost every recent LPU CD (if not all) was sourced from lossy material, if I recall correctly. The sound quality between their digital downloads and "lossless" CDs doesn't differ that much. It'll be interesting to see if any of the songs of the upcoming CD are truly lossless - I do hope so!

Ready for some new demos! Time to re-listen to the previous volumes again!

2010. This could have gone in ATS perfectly, especially the whole When They Come For Me/I'll Be Gone (both fifth track on each album) would fit better with the story/concept album.

Structure gives it a unique new style that they haven't used very often. Hoping it continues on LPU XIII and LP 6.

As for my opinion, I love it. IBG was one of my favorites when LT came out, though it has become a little stale at this point. I can imagine this being performed as a major theatrical production that we will never get.

If this had Primo's instrumental with less electronic drums and kept the melody but with IBG's lyrics and regular drums, it could work on both ATS AND LT.

And I can tell what Primo was and became kind of was LP's baby since they began on it. Going from this in 2010 (or even earlier) and then reworking it to a whole new song over a whole year, bringing in Owen Pallet, and on top of that 2 remixes (one of which having Mike's rap part) in RECHARGED. Ironically enough, IBG gets no live time.

The drums completely turn me off from Primo. I literally couldn't enjoy it past the first chorus. That being said, I like the lyrics and vocal melody, and obviously it turned out great as IBG.

I agree with you so much on this. They literally just don't fit, especially when the guitars are playing, the kick drum hits on the wrong areas for them to pop out, so it's awkward sounding. I think a slower, more "raw" drum track would of been better, but it would of killed the ATS vibe it had. Ah well. As you said, the lyrics and melody are amazing. I actually prefer this chorus structure because it's more original and not a What I've Done/BITS/New Divide/ALTNC cover up in terms of chord progression. The bass on the early parts of the song gave me chills, also.

Primo is...okay. The chorus on this version is really cool, and there are some interesting musical elements that wound up being cut from the final version. I have no issue with the drums on this version. However, the verses on this version are vastly inferior to the final ones (it's amazing what changing a few simple words can do), the doubled Mike/Chester vocals in the verses are completely unnecessary, Chester's vocal performance on the final version blows this one out of the water, and the extended outro, while cool, definitely goes on for way longer than it needs to. Most people seem to think sticking a chorus from I'll Be Gone into this demo would make the "perfect version," I'm more of the opinion that sticking a chorus from this version into I'll Be Gone, along with a shortened version of the demo outro, would be the best idea.

I also suppose this would be the time to make my yearly "people automatically like demos better than the final versions because the demos are new to them" statement. Again, it's cool, but saying this should have replaced the final album version is pretty laughable, considering this version sounds like it's only about 80% complete. I'll Be Gone is a song. Primo is a meandering 6-minute musical experiment that doesn't have a clear sense of direction. This would have been the worst song on A Thousand Suns if they had stuck with the original demo version.

This definitely IS an A Thousand Suns demo, by the way (seems like some people are mistakenly thinking it's a post-ATS demo from late 2010). Primo was a demo that was worked on in the initial batch of ATS demos along with tracks like Robot Boy, and other currently-unreleased demos like Chicken Basket, Rygar, Underbite, etc...this is the version that was recorded in 2010 that the band elected not to use on ATS. They wouldn't have started revisiting old seeds until they really started the Living Things writing process in the spring of 2011.

Edited by Astat

The drums completely turn me off from Primo. I literally couldn't enjoy it past the first chorus. That being said, I like the lyrics and vocal melody, and obviously it turned out great as IBG.

THIS! Didn't like the drums either, although it's always nice to listen to that kind of stuff and that's what I expect from LPU in the future.

There are some examples from Primo in Stagelight LP edition. xD

Then, the evidences.

from Meeting of A Thousand Suns

Posted Image

from recording LIVING THINGS

Posted Image

And actually, except "Primo", "Tinfoil" is also a demo from ATS era.

Edited by franktaiwan

I like primo more than the released song, it sounds more like the second half of the album does and more in line with the direction they were moving with ATS

I do kinda wish LP did more longer songs in the vein of TLTGYA.

agreed.

you can certainly tell it's a demo (I'm sure the vocals and lyrics would have been re-done in some places) but I prefer this length and atmosphere to the final track - it has so much more presence.

it's also very clearly rooted in the ATS vibe and I love that.

The drums completely turn me off from Primo. I literally couldn't enjoy it past the first chorus

i'm sure that would have been mixed down by final release

does anyone else feel like those last few piano notes are pretty much the Roads Untravelled melody?

Yes, so I'LL BE GONE and POWERLESS (what TINFOIL was renamed to) were from the ATS era. Are there any others from that era that we know of?

It'd be awesome to hear TINFOIL (2010 Version) now that we have heard Primo. I'd love to see how 'POWERLESS' sounded back then.

I like this demo. The arpreggio bridge is sounds really interesting.

Wasn't there a MTM seed/demo called ''Arpeggio Intro'' or something? Maybe Primo originated from back then, and it's been making it's way through each album cycle until they finally completed it for LT with I'll Be Gone. Interesting.

So what about the LPU13 info form the LPU Meetups in Chicago? Are people just keeping it to themselves or what the hell is gong on? Just like Dublin I guess they didn't get a whole lot of info but why can't everyone in the LPU get this info after it happened.