31.08.2011 - Los Angeles, CA - Secret Show for Japan

ok this is my opinion and maybe some of you wont like it but here is my take.

Linkin park were under no obligation to play anything special or different from any other setlist. If we didnt monitor the setlists day to day then this would have been a pretty special setlist and with such a small venue it would have made it very memorable and exciting. But the fact is that most of us on this site do monitor the sets day to day and it really makes a good setlist seem mediocre.

I feel that linkin park should have played a few old school hits or special songs they dont normally play or know they wont in the future. I think its safe to say that the people who went to the show were not all just causual fans. they were pretty hard core and had to work to get into the event. This was the perfect opportunity to play robot boy in a stripped down form. (they said they wanted to play it in a intimate setting whats better than this setting) it was in LA where the band stared out and are from. They could have used this opportunity to play not alone. ya its not the best song and may not have fit in the set perfectly but it would have fit the purpose of the event well. They know that hardcore fans wanted old school songs since alot of people bug them at meet and greets, facebook, twitter etc for them. i just feel dissapointed that they didnt get something extraordinary.

Ive seen Linkin Park during the LP Underground tour at the Wiltern the night Meteora came out. That was a small intimate venue. I saw them In vegas a few years ago when the played the joint before it was torn down and rebuilt and held less than 2000 people. Ive been to intimate venues and i can say i would have preferred to hear different unique songs then and been in nosebleed seats somewhere instead of being right in front and hearing all the singles.

Im not complaining i love linkin park and still will forever but i just feel they could have done so much more with the secret show.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I can't help but laugh my ass off at the amount of bitching about setlist variety on this touring cycle, when LP has played a greater number of different songs on this touring cycle than they have on any other.

Oh well, they'll get around to playing Blackout at some point in Asia, and all the bitching will cease at that point and their show will instantly have the "best setlist ever" again.

Oh come on. You know Blackout isn't enough for most people. They'll just say that Blackout's been played tons of times during the ATS tour, and that they should have included With You or Figure.09 in addition to Blackout.

Dear fellow diehard LP fans,

I was fortunate to raise $555 for this show. ($50 of my own money). Sure, I saw LP perform 5 other times this year. Yes, the setlist I witnessed in the front row of the pit @ The Staples Center show back in February was my favorite so far during this ATS Tour. However, for those like me who got the opportunity to go to this event, should not complain about the "regular" setlist we saw. I've seen LP numerous times and tonight was by far the best experience of them all. Once we entered The Mayan Theater (significantly earlier than usual) with our own laminated "VIP" necklaces, my friend and I were treated with complimentary Los Angeles based signature Food Truck vendors. There was ample room everywhere in such a small theater. Thanks to the LPU, I received a M&G pass without even requesting one. (Hooray!)

The energy and vibe inside the small venue was what made the show memorable. The band significantly interacted with the audience at a much greater extent than ever before. Chester and Mike went into the crowd during various parts of the set. They engaged us all. At the conclusion of the show, volunteers representing the band and Music for Relief were waiting to hand us unique posters and a copy of their Meteora hardcover bio-book as we walked out of the venue. btw, the setlist was still awesome anyway.

This is where the setlist trading card syndrome comes into play. We're all sitting here reading song names, and then someone who actually went to the show comes online and lays the smackdown.

That said, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed myself immensely if I had been fortunate enough to go to this show, I would have been disappointed if I'd flown across the country after raising $500 dollars + travel expenses and I didn't even at least get to see When They Come For Me. Since my show in D.C. was canceled, I haven't been able to see that, or any ATS song live.

However, that doesn't really give me the right to complain, because it's not like I was at this fucking show to begin with.

Edited by Xero21

I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, I am extremely saddened that even in a very intimate setting with hardcore LP fans, they still won't play rare/older songs. However, I see that in an intimate setting, this can be overlooked. I was excited to see what they do for the Asia Tour because Japan ALWAYS gets something special (ex. QWERTY), I don't know now.....

Yeah same here. I mean that's a great set, I'd love it live. I think what gets most people here is when LP has referenced playing old songs recently they were saying they'd play oldschool stuff in a small, intimate setting. An d then for Robot Boy they wanted to debut it in a special way. So much guessing and speculation would assume we'd get one or the other for this show.

Perhaps Asia will get something but now I am pretty sure pigs would fly before LP would play something old again lol. Looks very very unlikely at this point. CFTI is badass, yeah, but still.

Sorry Astat... you can't have the best setlist ever unless Figure.09 is played. 17 times in a row.

You and your fucking Figure.09, it's so annoying man!

I have to say it again, the hype about that song is just completely bullshit. It's not THAT better than other songs.

And about the setlist, well, somehow I'm happy that they played CFTI because I love this instrumental but on the other hand this is like a "confirmation" we likely won't ever see QWERTY, With You or songs like that again. I mean, if they wanted to play these, last night would have been THE chance to.

Edited by tschenneck

It just amazes me how people can complain about every setlist they play all over the world when they're not even at the show.

All you're doing it searching up the set after the show which you weren't at!

How can you all be so pissed that they didn't play an old song that you wouldn't even be able to experience anyway?

I was happy with the songs they played at the shows I attended and I search up the set after every show but I don't get pissed I don't see the point.

ANYWAY, nice setlist ;) I'm sure all the people in attendance had an unforgettable experience.

You and your fucking Figure.09, it's so annoying man!

I have to say it again, the hype about that song is just completely bullshit. It's not THAT better than other songs.

And about the setlist, well, somehow I'm happy that they played CFTI because I love this instrumental but on the other hand this is like a "confirmation" we likely won't ever see QWERTY, With You or songs like that again. I mean, if they wanted to play these, last night would have been THE chance to.

Yep.

How can you say this is overrated? :P Great. fucking. song.

Sure this song is great and I love it too, but I think some guys in here are giving it too much attention. In my opinion it's not better than By Myself, With You or APFMH.

But that's off topic :P

Figure.09 is one of the most fun to play in guitar. I don't like the chorus, and the bridge is similar to By myself but the verses are fucking awesomes!

APFMH, With You, By Myself, even Forgotten(demo) beats Figure.09! I mean its a great song but these songs are just better(for me).

In this case, I disagree. I love APFMH, With You. But for me Figure09 beats APFMH, With You, By Myself, even Forgotten(demo).

Figure09 is it song like Faint , for example. Figure09 is really great song.

just remember people: don't be fanboys. hate people that worship something and can't see anything wrong with it in anyway. I do agree some people moan way too much, but just remember that LP can make mistakes and sometimes bitching is not only the right thing to do, but the only thing we can do.

Not dissing anyone, just saying

I don't want to bitch ( please don't get me wrong ). But I think the people, who were bitching about the set are just scared cause when they don't even play older stuff infront of almost only hardcore fans the chances are slim to none that they ever do. But hey guys, at least the set is better than the set in 09^^.

btw: do you guys like faint as a opener?

I really think everyone needs to cool down about this whole setlist thing a bit. I get that it would've been a good opportunity to play some older songs and not have to worry about the whole casual listener thing, but at the same time, the singles are singles because theyre good songs, right? Not everyone has seen them live nine times, I saw them once in 2008 and if I saw them again, I wouldn't care what setlist it was, these guys are awesome live, no matter what songs they play. LP never told us that this show would have anything different about it setlist-wise, so I'm not really sure why you all expected it. More than just expected actually, you guys are treating it like LP did tell us it would be a show full of old school songs and promised to play Robot Boy or With You or something like that and then just played this set. But that's not what happened. The fact that this show happened at all is amazing, they didn't do it for the show, they did it to raise money for people who's lives have been completely destroyed, for people who have lost loved ones, that was the band's main concern when they had the idea for a secret benefit show, not an opportunity to play some rare songs, so stop complaining.

I really think everyone needs to cool down about this whole setlist thing a bit. I get that it would've been a good opportunity to play some older songs and not have to worry about the whole casual listener thing, but at the same time, the singles are singles because theyre good songs, right? Not everyone has seen them live nine times, I saw them once in 2008 and if I saw them again, I wouldn't care what setlist it was, these guys are awesome live, no matter what songs they play. LP never told us that this show would have anything different about it setlist-wise, so I'm not really sure why you all expected it. More than just expected actually, you guys are treating it like LP did tell us it would be a show full of old school songs and promised to play Robot Boy or With You or something like that and then just played this set. But that's not what happened. The fact that this show happened at all is amazing, they didn't do it for the show, they did it to raise money for people who's lives have been completely destroyed, for people who have lost loved ones, that was the band's main concern when they had the idea for a secret benefit show, not an opportunity to play some rare songs, so stop complaining.

Exactly my thoughts. I'd like to see an old song as much as everyone else, but I have also seen Linkin Park only once, at this year's Kansas City show, and the LAST thing on my mind after that show was being disappointed about no Figure .09, With You, etc. This show was meant for a good cause, not to play a bunch of different songs. Yesterday, everyone was saying how THIS IS AN AMAZING SETLIST! and now everyone hates it. What happened to everyone wanting The Messenger back? First everyone wanted it, now people are saying they don't. Just be happy LP changes their setlists a little and does rotate. Most bands play the same set for a whole tour, and I don't see anyone complaining about those bands.

PS Faint is probably my favorite opener.

It's a little bit childish to discuss this again and again or not ? Linkin Park didn't want to change anything, they said this to us every time when we they ask. It is something sad that they don't want to play old songs or that special song, but this discuss don't change anything. You are LP "die hard fans" you go to the concerts everytime so live with that fact, that they don't change.

I love LP and yes I want see some older songs in the sets too, and changes or whatever. I remember on an Interview in 2008 were Mike or Chester said that they want that every show become a intimitate show. Because of that saying or the argument with the small venues I understand your angry but there are LP and Stars and maybe the famous change their thinking a lot.

I hope they coming back sometime and play older songs in the future. I can live with the sets now, because I'm not expected anymore you should this do maybe.

But CFTI was a nice surprise and The Messenger too, that gets hope.

Cure For The Itch is a way better opener than The Requiem. The Requiem is too haunting and it doesn't build Faint at all. That's like having Wisdom, Justice, and Love fade into QWERTY. Just doesn't feel right.

i agree. i'm very happy they brought back CFTI! Its awesome!

I have a feeling they won't be playing older songs. Sucks but live with it.

They all changed and enjoy playing new songs.

If i wanna listen to older LP songs i put on Hybrid Theora or Meteora etc.

Hell... i don't even see Shinoda as a rapper anymore. He became more a singer than a rapper imo.

I still respect them all and enjoy listening to their music (Old and New). But i've stopped hoping on seeing older songs returning into the setlist.

It's hard to exprime myself but i will try anyway :)

I have hope for the Asian Tour:

Pooch said: "Loading out after successful rehearsal. Worked on some new stuff for upcoming Asia shows. YAY."

And:

"Different set lists at some shows. Can't tell you what they will be, but definitely different from Europe."

The last two shows don't belong to the Asian Tour. Maybe Linkin Park didn't want to use a totally different set in these show for this reason. And IMO when Pooch uses the expression NEW STUFF, i don't think he is referring to "Blackout, The Messenger, Burning in the skies, Wretches and Kings". These song are not New stuff. Okay neither Older Song are new stuff, but i am pretty sure that we can expect some surprises for the Asian Tour.

I am sure that Robot Boy will be played in this upcoming tour, Cure for The Itch and The Messenger will return in the setlist, and i think that One old song will have a return in the set. Maybe Points of Authority or Place For My Head...

I hope you understand my post xD

I must say it is kind of disappointing to see that LP totally squandered the best chance to play any old non-single material, but I can also say that this setlist is still completely kick-ass, and since I have never even been to a concert yet, I certainly won't complain.

To answer the question a few posts up, I really hate Faint as an opener. It has always seemed most appropriate as a closer to me, or at least 2nd to OSC or BIO. Something about the rhythm and whole vibe to the song just seems too off to start a concert.

Not too mention the outro just SCREAMS (no pun intended) "epic f**king finale", not "welcome to the show".