31.08.2011 - Los Angeles, CA - Secret Show for Japan

I must say it is kind of disappointing to see that LP totally squandered the best chance to play any old non-single material, but I can also say that this setlist is still completely kick-ass, and since I have never even been to a concert yet, I certainly won't complain.

To answer the question a few posts up, I really hate Faint as an opener. It has always seemed most appropriate as a closer to me, or at least 2nd to OSC or BIO. Something about the rhythm and whole vibe to the song just seems too off to start a concert.

Not too mention the outro just SCREAMS (no pun intended) "epic f**king finale", not "welcome to the show".

I think it has a great vibe as an opener; I would like to see The Requiem/CFTI dropped in favor of a long new intro to Faint. Yes, the outro is long and has a closer feel, but it's still awesome anywhere in the set and I still think One Step Closer's outro is an even better closer. I would say the outro could be shortened, but I think that would take a lot of epicness away.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pooch's Mayan setlist pic here: http://ow.ly/i/gDL5

But hey guys, at least the set is better than the set in 09^^.

btw: do you guys like faint as a opener?

Disagree MUCHO. I saw the 09 set 4 times. Second best LP set I've ever seen after the Set A on PR07 and that was just my first LP show so I might be biased. 09 set destroys the 2011 set I saw 3 times this year. I haven't seen Faint opening and I'm sure I'd love it (I hope they do it at Deluna) but the crowd would have to react well for me to say it's epic. Faint with no crowd bouncing (like ATL 2011) will make me say meh. 09 set was fucking amazing for me. Best encore of LP I've ever seen by far far far.

Hell... i don't even see Shinoda as a rapper anymore. He became more a singer than a rapper imo.

Well I sure do lol - he raps on When They Come For Me and Waiting For The End, two big parts in those 2 songs. He has always said he sung stuff before Chester came in and did his part, especially on MTM as we can hear from the Fear and Drum Song demos but I think he said he did it before that too. Regardless I still see him as a rapper even though he's singing more and more. He still raps more than he sings during the live set.

The last two shows don't belong to the Asian Tour. Maybe Linkin Park didn't want to use a totally different set in these show for this reason. And IMO when Pooch uses the expression NEW STUFF, i don't think he is referring to "Blackout, The Messenger, Burning in the skies, Wretches and Kings". These song are not New stuff. Okay neither Older Song are new stuff, but i am pretty sure that we can expect some surprises for the Asian Tour.

I am sure that Robot Boy will be played in this upcoming tour, Cure for The Itch and The Messenger will return in the setlist, and i think that One old song will have a return in the set. Maybe Points of Authority or Place For My Head...

100% agree. I know for a fact Pooch doesn't like the exact same songs every night. I'm not saying he hates LP or hates their music or anything like that at all, I'm saying I know he gets frustrated with basically the same 25~ songs on tour, then hearing them all most shows and editing them for hours in the DSPs. Anyone would be like that. So when he said YAY NEW STUFF I really think he means something cool. He loves APFMH. He told Mike they should do BIO -> apfmh bridge then launch into APFMH full after the GO AWAY part. No joke. Soooooo what he said in my opinion means Asia is getting something badass.

I don't want to bitch ( please don't get me wrong ). But I think the people, who were bitching about the set are just scared cause when they don't even play older stuff infront of almost only hardcore fans the chances are slim to none that they ever do. But hey guys, at least the set is better than the set in 09^^.

btw: do you guys like faint as a opener?

Sorry to bitch again, but I disagree. I thought the 2009 sets were really solid and good. I loved Session as an opener, it's probably one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, instrumental by LP. And it flowed into Given Up really well. Plus the band BROUGHT IT in 2009. I didn't go to any 2009 shows, but what from Mark has said, and all the 2009 shows I have listened to, the band had tons of energy and the shows sounded really good. Even though the set was a 'singles setlist', it was kick ass because they all flowed well and it had some awesome tracks like Points and Somewhere I Belong which they don't play anymore, and including DBS for some shows was cool too. Fire and CBI are a few of my fav DBS tracks.

Not gonna bitch about the set but are you sure they've played a greater number of different songs on this touring cycle than they did on the MTM touring cycle? You sure you're taking into account the actual variation of songs and not just the fact they have 15 more songs to toy with, 14 of which have been played. I'm convinced MTM has far more variation just between summer 07 and winter 08 never mind the summer 08 tour as well.

MTM certainly had more variation in the different versions of songs, I was just speaking in terms of the overall number of songs they've played. Adding in the new album tracks may make it seem skewed, but then again, they played all 12 MTM songs at some point during that album's touring cycle as well, and the setlists were roughly the same length-wise, so the difference should be negligible. On the MTM cycle, they tended to do more "Set A-Set B-Set C" type rotating, but on this cycle, they seem a lot more keen on swapping individual songs in and out of their various setlists, so I'd say they're switching it up more, song-wise, than they ever have. It certainly wouldn't hurt to re-work some of the intros/outros that they've been playing to death for the last few years though.

*Edit* I can even do the math and figure out how many songs they've played on the last two cycles, accounting for both songs alone and varying versions of songs, because I'm a little curious what the exact numbers are myself. I'll post my findings sometime tomorrow.

Edited by Astat

Sorry to bitch again, but I disagree. I thought the 2009 sets were really solid and good. I loved Session as an opener, it's probably one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, instrumental by LP. And it flowed into Given Up really well. Plus the band BROUGHT IT in 2009. I didn't go to any 2009 shows, but what from Mark has said, and all the 2009 shows I have listened to, the band had tons of energy and the shows sounded really good. Even though the set was a 'singles setlist', it was kick ass because they all flowed well and it had some awesome tracks like Points and Somewhere I Belong which they don't play anymore, and including DBS for some shows was cool too. Fire and CBI are a few of my fav DBS tracks.

Half the stuff I read about the 2009 tour says that they lacked energy.

I'm not siding with that opinion because I haven't seen all the videos but I think they have definitely been full of energy on this tour. They look happy when they perform.

Half the stuff I read about the 2009 tour says that they lacked energy.

I'm not siding with that opinion because I haven't seen all the videos but I think they have definitely been full of energy on this tour. They look happy when they perform.

Anything that I ever say, you will disagree with. PS: It doesn't make you cool. I can't even post an opinion saying that I liked the 2009 sets without someone getting offended by it. LOL wtf?

LP: catering to the mainstream/casual fan since 2007.

You're so right man...

I saw LP two times and i think i would never see them again. It was difficult to accept for me but you should stop to hope people, they will play over and over the same songs. I have the impression that they prefer the "public at large"/"casual fans" that their true fans...and in my opinion the singles are the WORST songs that they made.

Edited by haimu

You're so right man...

I saw LP two times and i think i would never see them again. It was difficult to accept for me but you should stop to hope people, they will play over and over the same songs. I have the impression that they prefer the "public at large"/"casual fans" that their true fans...and in my opinion the singles are the WORST songs that they made.

you can't just sa the dingles are the worst songs they've ever made. Yeah sure songs like Shadow of the Day, BITS, The Catalyst are crappy singles/songs (bits is ok) but not all singles are the worst songs they've ever made, there are a lot of good singles

you can't just sa the dingles are the worst songs they've ever made. Yeah sure songs like Shadow of the Day, BITS, The Catalyst are crappy singles/songs (bits is ok) but not all singles are the worst songs they've ever made, there are a lot of good singles

Of course I exaggerated a little... i said that because somebody wrote " the singles are singles because theyre good songs, right? " The most of the time a single is wrote to make money.

Edited by haimu

But at least make the singles good. Waiting For The End, The Catalyst and Iridescent all suck IMO, especially Iridescent. I don't know why people like it so much. It's so monotone and boring and depressing. BITS is the only single I liked from ATS. All the singles on MTM are amazing, though. :]

Everyone knows my opinion when it comes to all the bitching, It really ruins this site.

If some people dont like it then maybe you should go ahead and join the rest of these guys...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Thousand-S...116672418405806

I'm not a hater at all. I'm a diehard fan obviously or I wouldn't be around after the past years of disappointment.

Pez isn't asking people not to bitch or calling people bad fans, it's just tiring having to read through the same comments over and over again about how much they hate the new stuff and that "OMG, LP's olddd sound was epiiiiic, dis new shit suckks", this is the direction the band has, and IS moving towards.

think back to those live shows at ozzfest '01 and metallica '03, you remember how pissed all the fans of old-school metal were to have these nu-metal dickheads coming onstage with their lack of solos, a set of turntables and a fucking RAPPER! LP were progressive then, and since that genre has stagnated, they are being progressive now - it must be hard to see a band you love become something you don't like, but you're going to have to accept that someday.

no-one saying you guys are lesser fans than anyone else, we're just a bit bored of hearing about it...

Pez isn't asking people not to bitch or calling people bad fans, it's just tiring having to read through the same comments over and over again about how much they hate the new stuff and that "OMG, LP's olddd sound was epiiiiic, dis new shit suckks", this is the direction the band has, and IS moving towards.

think back to those live shows at ozzfest '01 and metallica '03, you remember how pissed all the fans of old-school metal were to have these nu-metal dickheads coming onstage with their lack of solos, a set of turntables and a fucking RAPPER! LP were progressive then, and since that genre has stagnated, they are being progressive now - it must be hard to see a band you love become something you don't like, but you're going to have to accept that someday.

no-one saying you guys are lesser fans than anyone else, we're just a bit bored of hearing about it...

Bingo. You guys are bitching more then that group. And your calling yourselves the fans.

in fact i believe ATS is better than all previous work that LP have ever did . If LP was to follow with another Hybrid Theory , the band would have just faded out like rest any artist . You see that other popular artists that we see today continue to work on their beaten track . They lack Innovation . they are synonyms with only one kind of material . But LP is different . They push the limits and take risks unlike others .

And on the live front i agree that playing same songs over and over again makes it boring to hear live shows . I mean there should be something exciting everytime .

it's funny because until 2007 LP didn't change the setlist that often, and i can't see anyone bitch about it. the shows from 2000-2006, are all the same, ok, after the release of Meteora they added more song, but the setlist didn't change at all. I would love to see they play old songs, but for me it's ok any setlist, because they come to my country EVERY 5 years, that's alot of time.

I checked the green day setlist, and they like 29 songs, and look like the songs are all new. I don't know Green Day, i've never seen them live. And why LP can't play more songs, can anyone explain me? That would solve the problem, they play like 30 songs, i guess that would stop with the bitching.

it's funny because until 2007 LP didn't change the setlist that often, and i can't see anyone bitch about it. the shows from 2000-2006, are all the same, ok, after the release of Meteora they added more song, but the setlist didn't change at all. I would love to see they play old songs, but for me it's ok any setlist, because they come to my country EVERY 5 years, that's alot of time.

There was no bitching about the set back then because it contained songs like With You, Figure.09 or Nobody's Listening. The bitching would stop if they played these songs again with just one setlist throughout the entire tour.

And Green Day play more old than new songs. On their last tour they played like 4/5 (out of 18) new songs and the other 25 ones were all old.

"Everyone knows my opinion when it comes to all the bitching, It really ruins this site."

It' call a debate man. You have to accept that.

And because I prefer HT EP, HT, Reanimation and Meteora so I am a bad fan ?

Do not believe that i am a stupid guy who say "WE WANT METAL, LP is METAL". If you looks into my Ipod, i listen Metal, Rock, Hip Hop, Techno, Jazz, Classical Music... and After Meteora I was the first who want to LP evolve...but not in this direction...

I'm not a big fan of ATS, musically it's a bad album (in my opinion "When They come For me" is the only great song of the album) but for me it's a huge step up from MTM and I'm okay with this. It's not nearly as good as the old stuff but I can live with it. Nothing and nobody can take away Hybrid Theory EP from me In my opinion, this is the masterpiece of LP. I give a chance at ATS because I thought they did some really nice experiments on that record instead of going the safe way and writing guaranteed radio hit songs for money like they did on MTM that did absolutely nothing for me.

My real problem is that Linkin Park used to be original and nothing else really sounded like them. Now they sound like everything else.

All band i listen evolved, but they don't loose their identity like Linkin Park. Compare the evolution of Deftones and you will understand that i mean. So try to make your own opinion and don't believe that at all Statements of the band.

And the last time i saw LP, the public was so bored, it's was fucking terrible. So try to understand why the old fans are totally disappointing.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you will understand me.

Edited by haimu

My real problem is that Linkin Park used to be original and nothing else really sounded like them. Now they sound like everything else.

And the last time i saw LP, the public was so bored, it's was fucking terrible. So try to understand why the old fans are totally disappointing.

So, what i don't get is, in the past FOR YOU, they sound more original them now. but now you can't compare any band with LP now. So, that mean they are more "original" than they were before. Sorry but you said LP sound like anything else, you are completly mistaken.

Don't Generalize please, i'm an "OLD FAN" and i'm not dissapointed. And the last time i saw LP, the public enjoyed it. and yes, they looked bored at the slow song, because no one would start jump while they play SOTD.

"Everyone knows my opinion when it comes to all the bitching, It really ruins this site."

It' call a debate man. You have to accept that.

And because I prefer HT EP, HT, Reanimation and Meteora so I am a bad fan ?

Do not believe that i am a stupid guy who say "WE WANT METAL, LP is METAL". If you looks into my Ipod, i listen Metal, Rock, Hip Hop, Techno, Jazz, Classical Music... and After Meteora I was the first who want to LP evolve...but not in this direction...

I'm not a big fan of ATS, musically it's a bad album (in my opinion "When They come For me" is the only great song of the album) but for me it's a huge step up from MTM and I'm okay with this. It's not nearly as good as the old stuff but I can live with it. Nothing and nobody can take away Hybrid Theory EP from me In my opinion, this is the masterpiece of LP. I give a chance at ATS because I thought they did some really nice experiments on that record instead of going the safe way and writing guaranteed radio hit songs for money like they did on MTM that did absolutely nothing for me.

All band i listen evolved, but they don't loose their identity like Linkin Park. Compare the evolution of Deftones and you will understand that i mean. So try to make your own opinion and don't believe that at all Statements of the band.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you will understand me.

i couldn't have said it better!

+100000000000