The Catalyst Video Premiere

[AndOne]

Ok... Now...

I didn't wanted to post anything about the song "The Catalyst" until I see the video...

Now, when I've watched the video on youtube, I can say just this... This is the best LP video till now... And you read this from a guy that is hard LP fan, for 11 years now...

First, I didn't liked the song to much, but with this video, the song is awesome...

Mr. Hahn made the best one yet...

Now I can say that I am really exited... I wasn't this exited for MTM, like I am for ATS...

The new album can just be, or the worst, or the best one yet...

LP thank you...

A.M. Son of Serbia

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the end is the worst video of lp, even given up is better

False. In the End is my favorite LP video.

Ok, on to the video. The Catalyst music video amazed me. It is really good. I love the concept of the video. To me it is LP's 2nd best music video after In the End

I'm not going to write a huge lengthy review on the video. For now, I'll just say that the video is decent. I'd probably give it a 6/10 or 7/10. Ironically enough, the best parts of the video seem to happen during the best parts of the song. Not sure if that was intentional. For example, I love all the transitions and motion effects that are going on during the synth solo, which is one of the better parts of the song. There are a couple other cool moments like that after that part.

It's a good video I guess overall. Just nothing amazing or epic that really stands out to me. I kind of like the post apocalyptic/fallout environment also. I just don't think the video is on the same level as Breaking The Habit, In The End, or Somewhere I Belong.

Does the part when Mike hold up his one finger creep anyone else out? Maybe I'll sound crazy, but that and when he reaches his hand out seems symbolic, like almost amidst all this chaos, he's saying "hold on". Chester in the water makes me think it's like the "old" Linkin Park is disappearing, as he submerges deeper and gets harder to see. Same with Mike getting hit with the baton and the jagged movements. Maybe it serves as representation of the band and the fans with this new album, and the fear of commercial suicide? Or maybe I'm looking into it WAY too much, but these things kind of stuck out for me.

I think this trumps anything that MTM spawned, IMO. I don't like the radio edit though, nor Mike singing all of the parts, and Phoenix seems really over-exaggerated (making up for New Divide? lol). Other than that, I've been watching it a lot and really enjoying it.

Does the part when Mike hold up his one finger creep anyone else out? Maybe I'll sound crazy, but that and when he reaches his hand out seems symbolic, like almost amidst all this chaos, he's saying "hold on". Chester in the water makes me think it's like the "old" Linkin Park is disappearing, as he submerges deeper and gets harder to see. Same with Mike getting hit with the baton and the jagged movements. Maybe it serves as representation of the band and the fans with this new album, and the fear of commercial suicide? Or maybe I'm looking into it WAY too much, but these things kind of stuck out for me.

I think this trumps anything that MTM spawned, IMO. I don't like the radio edit though, nor Mike singing all of the parts, and Phoenix seems really over-exaggerated (making up for New Divide? lol). Other than that, I've been watching it a lot and really enjoying it.

I think you read all that symbolic stuff into it. It might be symbolic, but I doubt it's allegorical to the band. But hey, who knows.

I think you read all that symbolic stuff into it. It might be symbolic, but I doubt it's allegorical to the band. But hey, who knows.

That's entirely possible, it just seems very prevalent when I watch it. I wonder if anyone else gets that vibe. With that, I'm getting anxious about waiting. I wish I could get a idea of the whole album and might be projecting it onto the video. I also just think too much and they've inadvertently provided a way to cater to that.

I'm interested in hearing some other interpretations.

Edited by letdownagain

That's entirely possible, it just seems very prevalent when I watch it. I wonder if anyone else gets that vibe. With that, I'm getting anxious about waiting. I wish I could get a idea of the whole album and might be projecting it onto the video. I also just think too much and they've inadvertently provided a way to cater to that.

I'm interested in hearing some other interpretations.

I think it could stand for "one life", or like "one Sun"!?

Eh, it's...a music video. I can probably count on one hand the number of music videos I've ever thought were genuinely "awesome" to the point that they actually enhanced my opinion of the song. They just aren't my thing, I've always thought of them as eye candy without much of a purpose.

I'd imagine we'll get a "director's cut" version that uses the full 5:42 song at some point.

I wouldn't call this video Best one.

I still like LOATR much more than this one.

I don't think this video will be in TOP of my list of fav LP vids.

Neither do I think Catalyst itself will be in TOP.

I like the Lift Me Up part of the song though a lot.

The most thing I didn't like about this vid is the part with multiple Chester's mouths.... Looks very weird.

Need to watch it in Full HD to judge it more.

Did you also notice that one guy is laughing when he is running?

LMAO! maybe it's hysterical laughter? Haha

They could have had a massive explosion with Mike standing in the middle of it (but this might have been too similar to From the inside vid) I think that would have looked awesome.

alot better than most of their recent work (ie. LOATR, New Divide, Not Alone).

overall good.

my question. When is Chaz gonna change his hair? it's been the same ever since BIO video. The one thing I loved about him was all his crazy hair.

LOATR video > The Catalyst video

The only part i don't like about the video is that it doesn't focus on any of the band members for more than 5 seconds.

I did find it disappointing that there wasn't much Brad or Joe in the video. But the Joe that was in the video... what a Joe it was!

People running randomly are just neutrons released by each single atomic fission, as this points out. Mike is "the catalyst" of the reaction, or if you prefer Robert J. Oppenheimer which has "become death, the destroyer of worlds" alter-ego, Masked men are the "unstoppable weapon" or menace the song is about, the one that can't be outfought, unmatched and so on. Chester in the water is the humanity gasping and dying in water, suffering and unable to stop what has been started by itself.

Neutrons of the reaction are being hit by masked men and Mike itself to start a stable chain reaction that quickly (in a single instant that seems to last for 4 minutes) grows into a beautiful and destructive explosion, magnificent and slow-pacing to see in the core of the reaction but instantaneous and unstoppable from the outside.

Thats a little confused but you can figure it out better by watching the video wisely and slowly, stopping by some single scene and thinking about all that Mike and Joe told us about the concept of the video.

Edited by lparcshinoda

Wait a minute....LOATR is the one with the plot, it can be interpreted in different levels like the lyrics. unlike The Catalyst video, which is just people running around in smoke...

What do you think the smoke indicates, sir?

If you think the LOATR video can be interpreted in different levels, then we have come to an impasse. I could easily point out a few interpretations from The Catalyst.

Edited by rav0k