Linkin Park releasing "Friendly Fire"

DCrecelius

at this point, i can surely said that WBR really hate THP so much. seems like they hold the grudge till this day. based on the cover art that leaked, i’m pretty sure the band were forced to release this Greatest Hits as soon as possible just to follow up the successful of LOST & METEORA20 last year. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Arslan said:

I'm wondering if we'll get a music video for Friendly Fire like the one we got for Lost last year?

That would be cool if that actually happens.

Edited by NJPLP

Slightly disappointed it’s not an unheard song and it’s just a track that has been officially and technically available for nearly 18 years. Also yeah wtf, no THP involvement? As much as I still have many gripes with that album, it is important to acknowledge its existence on a release like this.

57 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Hardly confirmed, Joe is just teasing the title, and it's not really a tease as much as it is the word QWERTY so idk

But it does make sense to me since it's probably their most popular LPU song. I could see them saying "the compilation deserved representation from the LPU, and QWERTY was always a standout" or something like that 

image.png.f866d8e0f079e1295c72680f31d1f0e5.png

Edited by wesleylpbr

6 minutes ago, linkindan said:

Ok, but 2023?

Have they remastered Friendly Fire from the 2016/17 master?

Lost was released in 2023 and is the newest single on it minus Friendly Fire. That's where the 2023 comes from.

Edited by HFL377

It’s so interesting seeing this discussion devolve into the THP “snub.” A few years ago i started a thread about what my Greatest Hits CD would look like, and i was actually hung up on including at least one track from every album. I actually made a poll for ppl to vote for which should get the final spot based on what they felt was most well-known to non-LP fans, and it was out of like Papercut, LOTR, and a few others. A lot of the responses i was getting in the thread was ppl saying that they would cut THP completely in place of some of the other songs.

15 minutes ago, HFL377 said:

Lost was released in 2023 and is the newest single on it minus Friendly Fire. That's where the 2023 comes from.

Yeah so, I’m being evicted for filing a breach of duty and requesting urgent repairs - my head didn’t process Lost being on it aha

13 minutes ago, linkindan said:

Yeah so, I’m being evicted for filing a breach of duty and requesting urgent repairs - my head didn’t process Lost being on it aha

damn that sucks I’m sorry

20 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

It’s so interesting seeing this discussion devolve into the THP “snub.” A few years ago i started a thread about what my Greatest Hits CD would look like, and i was actually hung up on including at least one track from every album. I actually made a poll for ppl to vote for which should get the final spot based on what they felt was most well-known to non-LP fans, and it was out of like Papercut, LOTR, and a few others. A lot of the responses i was getting in the thread was ppl saying that they would cut THP completely in place of some of the other songs.

It seems weird the band themselves would omit an album entirely. They are picking LOATR, OML, Friendly Fire, and QWERTY over Catalyst, something from THP, Given Up which almost everyone knows belongs to LP, etc. The choices are a little odd. Of course they need a song to push sales so they chose Friendly Fire, but they probably should have done more songs for this or at least put one THP song in.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm kind of disappointed it ended up just being QWERTY. Like, what's the point of the secrecy for a song we already have? Unless it's a different version of it, it seems pointless to do that.

I always imagined an expansive  2 cd/record package for a greatest hits. I guess it's an easier sell to just market 1 disc. more affordable and all that. 

What I expected:

Papercut

OSC

Points (maybe even replace with Reanimation version)

Crawling

In The End

SIB

Faint

BTH

FTI

Numb

Lost

Given Up

LOATR

BIO

SOTD

WID

New Divide
BITS

WFTE

Iridescent

Catalyst

LITE

BID

COG

UIG

Final Masquerade

TTM

Heavy

OML

Friendly Fire

Edited by Hybrid1988

QWERTY being 14 is not what I had expected at all lol. Then again, it leaves us more room for Minutes To Midnight 20th if they were to do so. 

(Odd though, why leave a very well known track for the last? Unless it's the marketing then sure, still.)

Edited by arcyy57

2 hours ago, Arslan said:

I'm wondering if we'll get a music video for Friendly Fire like the one we got for Lost last year?

it will be, now with the Mike using AI to generate videos. they should just use footages from studio sessions / behind the scenes instead. It feels a lot original that way

Here's the deal: LP has two main audiences. The hardcore fans, aka: lurkers of this page, and casual fans. 

The boxsets were meant for us, even the success of Lost was totally unexpected. 

But now isn't the time for us, is for the casual fans who haven't heard of Qwerty. Yes, there are people who in 18 years haven't had the time, the occurrence or whatever it is, to discover the song. You have the right to feel disappointed, but this isn't meant for us.

19 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Here's the deal: LP has two main audiences. The hardcore fans, aka: lurkers of this page, and casual fans. 

The boxsets were meant for us, even the success of Lost was totally unexpected. 

But now isn't the time for us, is for the casual fans who haven't heard of Qwerty. Yes, there are people who in 18 years haven't had the time, the occurrence or whatever it is, to discover the song. You have the right to feel disappointed, but this isn't meant for us.

Hardcore or casual, I am more than happy that we have finally a greatest Hits compilation from the band (like for the first time). I know Shinoda stated this few years ago that he is opposed to this idea of Greatest Hits. However, here we are, WB probably wanted this release to comply the contract? Idk. Probably the band is ready to close this chapter and ready to start the new era.

55 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

I'm not gonna lie. I'm kind of disappointed it ended up just being QWERTY. Like, what's the point of the secrecy for a song we already have? Unless it's a different version of it, it seems pointless to do that.

I don't know that it was completely deliberate - since the marketing has been so fixated on Spotify and YouTube, it's only natural that they couldn't highlight the track that isn't listed on either platform. Though I suppose the marketing team should know that this fanbase is deranged and will latch onto anything like that...

I'm not really pressed about this collection, I think Warner clearly feels it'll sell to at least casual fans and if it works, hey, it works, hooking in new fans is always appreciated. I do think, though, that the art direction we've seen so far is pretty bad, and the omission of any THP tracks feels crazy to me. You're marketing a singles collection that omits an entire album, lol. I know that you've got a hard limit on the runtime to keep it to one CD, but it feels kind of like an egregious exclusion. If it were me, I would dump Castle of Glass in a second for Guilty All the Same.

Like others have said, though, this one isn't for the freaks, so it's not worth getting twisted up over, y'know? Most of us are gonna snatch up the CD or the vinyl like the marks we are anyway.