Linkin Park releasing "Friendly Fire"

DCrecelius

26 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Here's the deal: LP has two main audiences. The hardcore fans, aka: lurkers of this page, and casual fans. 

The boxsets were meant for us, even the success of Lost was totally unexpected. 

But now isn't the time for us, is for the casual fans who haven't heard of Qwerty. Yes, there are people who in 18 years haven't had the time, the occurrence or whatever it is, to discover the song. You have the right to feel disappointed, but this isn't meant for us.

There's plenty of linkin park listeners who have never heard of QWERTY. I just wrote to 2 friends who I went to a LP show with if they had seen the news of friendly fire and qwerty and they had no idea qwerty existed. One of them even has a linkin park inspired tattoo, some lyrics from the messenger

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Here's the deal: LP has two main audiences. The hardcore fans, aka: lurkers of this page, and casual fans. 

But now isn't the time for us, is for the casual fans who haven't heard of Qwerty. Yes, there are people who in 18 years haven't had the time, the occurrence or whatever it is, to discover the song. You have the right to feel disappointed, but this isn't meant for us.

this sums up everything. 100% agree. anyway, cant wait for QWERTY on DSP! 

34 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

Hardcore or casual, I am more than happy that we have finally a greatest Hits compilation from the band (like for the first time). I know Shinoda stated this few years ago that he is opposed to this idea of Greatest Hits. However, here we are, WB probably wanted this release to comply the contract? Idk. Probably the band is ready to close this chapter and ready to start the new era.

it's always the label thing. i remember when Avenged Sevenfold wanna break the contract with WBR back in 2016, suddenly the label released a compilation album features A7X greatest hits in a disc. the band doesnt want it but the label said, that's the only way. so yeah, i believe this Linkin Park greatest hits releases most likely label idea, forcing the band, especially after they see "LOST" making lots of profits last year. 

I really hope LP can make their own label, just like Metallica with their BLACKENED RECORDINGS. 

I think there is big meaning to names like greatest hits vs singles collection....name a single on the track list that a single from THP that out performed one of these 18...2 are TBD.... i honestly don't know...also would these arguable be the best 20 LP tracks on...paper? Also emissions of the catalyst or given up is the 20th anniversary....if your a casual listener introduce those songs via a 20th anniversary and maybe appeal to a whole new generation to come...js I'm enjoying LP being around regardless of anything...nothing feels like a cash grab it feels likes it's for the fans hard-core casual or new and it's great they have found a way to  stay relevant while saying they don't know what the future is lol 😀 enjoying the ride...also the potential of QWERTY blowing up when the band had tried to kill well we loved it that'd be great love this community of fans 

Edited by droppedjacobs

49 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

I agree with this. I made a mix I call “Paper Edges” and it includes one song from every album/era, as well some that fall in between, as a sort of starter mix for my friends who were more casual fans and wanted to hear more. I think that QWERTY is quintessential for a mix like that as it bridges the gap between 2 of their most popular eras (Meteora & MTM).

i have to admit though i do wish they could squeeze a THP track (there’s a solid 4 different tracks that come to mind), but i also understand why they’re not included. 

1 minute ago, OKCrew said:

I agree with this. I made a mix I call “Paper Edges” and it includes one song from every album/era, as well some that fall in between, as a sort of starter mix for my friends who were more casual fans and wanted to hear more. I think that QWERTY is quintessential for a mix like that as it bridges the gap between 2 of their most popular eras (Meteora & M2M)

Paper Edges? Link? And yes I said bridge earlier to serves as a great landing to point to next 20th

2 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I agree with this. I made a mix I call “Paper Edges” and it includes one song from every album/era, as well some that fall in between, as a sort of starter mix for my friends who were more casual fans and wanted to hear more. I think that QWERTY is quintessential for a mix like that as it bridges the gap between 2 of their most popular eras (Meteora & MTM).

i have to admit though i do wish they could squeeze a THP track (there’s a solid 4 different tracks that come to mind), but i also understand why they’re not included. 

I always had my suspicious that the Berlin 14 DVD was scrapped because maybe the album cycle wasn't being as well received as it expected.

42 minutes ago, droppedjacobs said:

Paper Edges? Link? And yes I said bridge earlier to serves as a great landing to point to next 20th

I call it Paper Edges because it starts with Papercut and ends with Sharp Edges lol I guess an additional perk to QWERTY joining Spotify is that it will bring the 3 missing tracks you have to upload yourself down to 2 on this playlist 😂 

40 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

I always had my suspicious that the Berlin 14 DVD was scrapped because maybe the album cycle wasn't being as well received as it expected.

I didn’t even know we were gonna get a Berlin 14 DVD! I found it weird that the Austrian THP DVD included a set from 2012

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

this sums up everything. 100% agree. anyway, cant wait for QWERTY on DSP! 

it's always the label thing. i remember when Avenged Sevenfold wanna break the contract with WBR back in 2016, suddenly the label released a compilation album features A7X greatest hits in a disc. the band doesnt want it but the label said, that's the only way. so yeah, i believe this Linkin Park greatest hits releases most likely label idea, forcing the band, especially after they see "LOST" making lots of profits last year. 

I really hope LP can make their own label, just like Metallica with their BLACKENED RECORDINGS. 

What about Machine Shop Recordings? is that still a thing? Or the Fort Minor, Inc.?

36 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I didn’t even know we were gonna get a Berlin 14 DVD! I found it weird that the Austrian THP DVD included a set from 2012

Australian Tour Edition.

Just now, RYG4R said:

What about Machine Shop Recordings? is that still a thing? Or the Fort Minor, Inc.?

Machine Shop Records still there as you can see in the leaked PAPERCUTS disc, releasing all LP stuff but they're just a minor company. Unlike Metallica's Blackened, they have a bigger voices. if you go through Metallica website, you can see how they managed their contents really well. seems like Metallica will never run out of contents, live music/shows. 😂

40 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I found it weird that the Austrian THP DVD included a set from 2012

Live In Monterrey came out with The Hunting Party in June 2014. They hadn't done any real touring for the album yet besides a few festivals in Europe that same month. There wasn't time to prepare a show from 2014 for release.

37 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

Machine Shop as a record label died a long time ago. Warner wasn't interested in investing in the artists being signed. It's just Linkin Park's management company now.

1 hour ago, gorast said:

the omission of any THP tracks feels crazy to me. You're marketing a singles collection that omits an entire album, lol. I know that you've got a hard limit on the runtime to keep it to one CD, but it feels kind of like an egregious exclusion. If it were me, I would dump Castle of Glass in a second for Guilty All the Same.

I still can't believe they included two versions of Numb. They could have picked any of the big platinum singles they left out or a The Hunting Party single instead of Numb/Encore.

2 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

Machine Shop as a record label died a long time ago. Warner wasn't interested in investing in the artists being signed. It's just Linkin Park's management company now.

I still can't believe they included two versions of Numb. They could have picked any of the big platinum singles they left out or a The Hunting Party single instead of Numb/Encore.

Machine Shop should be reviving back as a proper record label for LINKIN PARK only. 

for Numb/Encore, people treat the song as its own. also, the song is really huge single, it will be crazy for LP to leave the song from the GH collections.

1 minute ago, Stranger said:

Machine Shop should be reviving back as a proper record label for LINKIN PARK only. 

for Numb/Encore, people treat the song as its own. also, the song is really huge single, it will be crazy for LP to leave the song from the GH collections.

and that song won at the Grammys. so it's a big deal for LINKIN PARK.

To me it's not really a big deal if THP is not featured in this singles collection or if any other songs, like heavy, given up, the catalyst, etc are not in the tracklist. It's not like these songs are suddenly unavailable. If I want to hear THP I know where it is. Also with a limit of 20 songs (18 if we don't count 1 unreleased track and 1 hidden gem that are necessary to better promote a relese like this) there was always going to be hits left out, so one way or another somebody was going to find a reason to complain. 

20 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

and that song won at the Grammys. so it's a big deal for LINKIN PARK.

exactly! and that's the last one for LP. 🥹

5 minutes ago, ScottiePippo said:

To me it's not really a big deal if THP is not featured in this singles collection or if any other songs, like heavy, given up, the catalyst, etc are not in the tracklist. It's not like these songs are suddenly unavailable. If I want to hear THP I know where it is. Also with a limit of 20 songs (18 if we don't count 1 unreleased track and 1 hidden gem that are necessary to better promote a relese like this) there was always going to be hits left out, so one way or another somebody was going to find a reason to complain. 

amazing that LP has tons of greatest hits!

Why LP is not getting enough attention from the Grammys? What's the criteria to win? Unless, if you're Taylor Swift, easy win. but what really makes hard for LP to get a Grammy? is it the production of the album? does it based on who's the best producer out there?

I'm disappointed it's QWERTY but it makes total sense to me. It's one of the most popular LPU tracks, the band liked it enough to play lt live over a span of years and it's got a lot of potential with the fanbase. 

I just hope it's a new mix/master like Lost, because that could go a long way. The one we got on LPU always sounded unfinished and rough to me.

23 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

Why LP is not getting enough attention from the Grammys? What's the criteria to win? Unless, if you're Taylor Swift, easy win. but what really makes hard for LP to get a Grammy? is it the production of the album? does it based on who's the best producer out there?

i dont know much bout Grammy but they dont really like Rock, Metal music. They all planted. They just nominated those bands to make ppl watch the show. I cant recall what year but Lorde won best rock music. It’s a total joke. Eminem already f**k the Grammys because he knows how the system went

9 minutes ago, Stranger said:

i dont know much bout Grammy but they dont really like Rock, Metal music. They all planted. They just nominated those bands to make ppl watch the show. I cant recall what year but Lorde won best rock music. It’s a total joke. Eminem already f**k the Grammys because he knows how the system went

Lorde? best Rock? wow.

Papercuts - Singles Collection 2000-2023 (Double Vinyle Noir) April 12, 2024

Double black vinyl edition - 20 tracks. "Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023)" is Linkin Park's first compilation of their greatest hits! It explores the seminal band's career through 20 iconic tracks including "Crawling", "Faint", "Numb/Encore", "In The End", "Somewhere I Belong", "What I've Done", "One Step Closer"... Also included the rare track "QWERTY" and the previously unreleased "Friendly Fire" (sung by Chester Bennington, recorded in 2017 during the sessions for their 7th album "One More Light"). Fans' enthusiasm for the 20th anniversary reissues of "Hybrid Theory" in 2020 and "Meteora" in 2023 inspired this compilation for Linkin Park." Papercuts" offers a new retrospective journey into the band's universe through a single album.

Amazon (PL)

71InQ4PXI8L.jpg

38 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

Lorde? best Rock? wow.

49 minutes ago, Stranger said:

It was the MTV Music Awards, “Best Rock Video”

Not only was Lorde surprised to have won, she beat out Until It’s Gone

Also they confirmed that Friendly Fire will have a music video (premieres at the same time that on the KROQ radio)

For more confirmation on the "Papercuts" name, the description of the video premier has the #Papercuts on it.

Also on the description:

Directed and Edited by: Mark Fiore

Produced by: Amigo and Company

Executive Produced by: Devin Sarno and Linkin Park

Colorist: Loren White