Pictureboard = "In Yourself"/"Be Yourself"

LPLStaff

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to the Xero tape, I was shocked at how bad Mark sounded overall. Could hardly recognize him. But I have no real idea anymore on how the song went aside from the obvious melody we all knew before. Plus I think the version we are getting will sound a lot more clean and better produced. I imagine the difference being like between "Rhinestone" from the Xero tape and the "Forgotten" demo.

Edited by Trumtram

1 hour ago, LPsMart said:

couldn'T it be that the thing they had to clear for Pictureboard was the bass track rights by this Antoine guy?

No. It isn’t confirmed he’s on the song, even. Astat found the sample of the song.

Check the Linkinpedia page, it’s from Boogie Down Productions. 

5 hours ago, LPsMart said:

couldn'T it be that the thing they had to clear for Pictureboard was the bass track rights by this Antoine guy?

I don't think that's how music rights work. Like if LP wants to release an old Xero demo, I don't think they have to check with Mark to see if he approves the use of his vocal track lol. They might reach out as a courtesy, but not for legal reasons. I really doubt he could say "I don't approve the use of my vocal track" and have any legal standing there considering that Warner owns the rights to all those songs.

20 hours ago, Justin said:

I don't think that's how music rights work. Like if LP wants to release an old Xero demo, I don't think they have to check with Mark to see if he approves the use of his vocal track lol. They might reach out as a courtesy, but not for legal reasons. I really doubt he could say "I don't approve the use of my vocal track" and have any legal standing there considering that Warner owns the rights to all those songs.

Warner doesn't own Xero or Hybrid Theory EP music, right? Those were independent releases by the band, some of the stuff was re-released on Warner so the band probably just allowed them to do that. None of that was on Warner, the original releases. Then you get into like And One being on Songs from the Underground etc. 

How does this all work, am I wrong? I noticed all of the HTEP songs are on BMI for the band's publishing. Reading My Eyes is the only Xero song on there, probably because of LPU 6.

The band has such a good relationship with the label that doing any of this stuff is no issue, like reissuing old stuff. The band doesn't have to ask Kyle or anyone like that to reissue old stuff. Mark is like best friends with Mike and also is in the music business, he'd never object to this stuff either. The band doesn't HAVE to consult with him but they probably DID just because of how classy and respectful LP is in general.

7 hours ago, hahninator said:

Warner doesn't own Xero or Hybrid Theory EP music, right? Those were independent releases by the band, some of the stuff was re-released on Warner so the band probably just allowed them to do that. None of that was on Warner, the original releases. Then you get into like And One being on Songs from the Underground etc. 

How does this all work, am I wrong? I noticed all of the HTEP songs are on BMI for the band's publishing. Reading My Eyes is the only Xero song on there, probably because of LPU 6.

The band has such a good relationship with the label that doing any of this stuff is no issue, like reissuing old stuff. The band doesn't have to ask Kyle or anyone like that to reissue old stuff. Mark is like best friends with Mike and also is in the music business, he'd never object to this stuff either. The band doesn't HAVE to consult with him but they probably DID just because of how classy and respectful LP is in general.

I honestly don't know. I was under the impression that they either owned the rights or recently acquired the rights due to YouTube taking down Xero and HT EP music since the HT 20 announcement, citing copyright claims by WMG.

I think Warner got the rights to the Hybrid Theory EP (and maybe other songs that didn't make it on Hybrid Theory, like She Couldn't) the moment they singed Linkin Park. You guys are forgetting (versions of) songs like Carousel, And One and Part Of Me were found on Warmer Bros. Records demo CDs. Step Up was also released in the In The End single and High Voltage (although a remix) in the One Step Closer single. That leaves only Technique out, but then there was the Hybrid Theory EP reissue in 2001 and the songs have been on the LPU store for years. As for the Xero demo, Rhinestone is Forgotten, Reading My Eyes was registered for release on LPU 6.0 and Stick N Move on LPU 9.0. The only song Warner might not own is Fuse.

I'm not sure what kind of contract the band has with the label, but it seems to me a label doesn't really need a band's approval to use their music. Just look at the "greatest hits" releases by Avenged Sevenfold (Warner) and Papa Roach (Geffen). The bands didn't support those albums at all. The Papa Roach one even had an unreleased track. So I think they can release whatever they want as long as it is in their archives.

22 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

I think Warner got the rights to the Hybrid Theory EP (and maybe other songs that didn't make it on Hybrid Theory, like She Couldn't) the moment they singed Linkin Park. You guys are forgetting (versions of) songs like Carousel, And One and Part Of Me were found on Warmer Bros. Records demo CDs. Step Up was also released in the In The End single and High Voltage (although a remix) in the One Step Closer single. That leaves only Technique out, but then there was the Hybrid Theory EP reissue in 2001 and the songs have been on the LPU store for years. As for the Xero demo, Rhinestone is Forgotten, Reading My Eyes was registered for release on LPU 6.0 and Stick N Move on LPU 9.0. The only song Warner might not own is Fuse.

I'm not sure what kind of contract the band has with the label, but it seems to me a label doesn't really need a band's approval to use their music. Just look at the "greatest hits" releases by Avenged Sevenfold (Warner) and Papa Roach (Geffen). The bands didn't support those albums at all. The Papa Roach one even had an unreleased track. So I think they can release whatever they want as long as it is in their archives.

Makes sense about the first part.

The second part is absolutely true but we know now that WBR puts the ball in LP's court on literally everything; the band doesn't even have album deadlines anymore. LP picks the singles, everything. LP doesn't have 100.00% freedom with WBR, but it's really damn close. Warner not releasing a Greatest Hits of LP in 2005 is surprising, but it's good that they didn't. Ever since LT, things have been MUCH better with the label and LP. They aren't going to release something until LP tells them to.

I'm kind of astounded that Warner's never pulled the trigger on a Greatest Hits collection. 2005 might have been too early given there were only two albums plus Reanimation, but 2011 might have been a good time for it (decade after Hybrid Theory plus another year since ATS was in 2010). I think that really speaks to the level of respect the label has for LP and the good relationship they share now.  An LP Greatest Hits is basically a license to print money and it's pretty impressive that they haven't done it.

36 minutes ago, gorast said:

I'm kind of astounded that Warner's never pulled the trigger on a Greatest Hits collection. 2005 might have been too early given there were only two albums plus Reanimation, but 2011 might have been a good time for it (decade after Hybrid Theory plus another year since ATS was in 2010). I think that really speaks to the level of respect the label has for LP and the good relationship they share now.  An LP Greatest Hits is basically a license to print money and it's pretty impressive that they haven't done it.

normally, other bands will do a "Greatest Hits" album after a decade. for LP, even after 20 years, they still haven't considered to do one. that's amazing.

21 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

There is one thing that I noticed here.

If there is Warner logo on LPU album - all tracks were registered by the label, if there is no Warner logo - the tracks weren't registered by the label and there is also the fact that we didn't find any proofs that all tracks of HT EP were registered, there was no info in the databases nor the CD itself. I think this is the first time all tracks from HT EP were registered by the label and on the HT20 all tracks will probably contain a small differences contrary to version releases on LPU albums.

One Thing that I find hilarious now that we know what Pictureboard is, is the other thread About the song in the "Everything Linkin Park" section, where people who said "Pictureboard = Be Yourself" and everybody else was like "You insane?" to that person LOL

Finally listened to Mark's 'leaked' version multiple times, I dig it, quite a bit actually, people who say he sounds not good need to check their ears lol. I also really like hearing Joe's vinyl sample sounds there, can't wait to hear Chester.

To me one thing is thrashing the song as a whole, another one is pointing out Mark’s performance. The song itself instrumentally is cool and I really like Mike’s classic HT-style rapping but Mark’s performance is mediocre at best, and it’s pretty objective TBH. I saw far better songs being treated like garbage here and now just because this one was considered by some people a “holy grail” we should overhype every aspect of the song ? No, thanks 😊

59 minutes ago, KlaytonShinoda said:

Finally listened to Mark's 'leaked' version multiple times, I dig it, quite a bit actually, people who say he sounds not good need to check their ears lol. I also really like hearing Joe's vinyl sample sounds there, can't wait to hear Chester.

The samples at the intro sounds weird especially the kick but the rest i agree with you.

In the context of a new band they were sounding pretty good imo

Edited by Diaux