Pictureboard = "In Yourself"/"Be Yourself"

LPLStaff

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Astat said:

As a musician I find it quite troublesome that someone can get a copyright takedown for uploading a song that they performed on.

How was the guy related to it? I couldn’t really find any info. I assume he had something to do with it since he had the file and no one else did.

But also just because you perform on it doesn’t mean you can release it, sadly.

2 minutes ago, Jlumber said:

How was the guy related to it? I couldn’t really find any info. I assume he had something to do with it since he had the file and no one else did.

But also just because you perform on it doesn’t mean you can release it, sadly.

http://linkinpedia.com/index.php?title=Xero_(Demo_Cassette_Tape)

You have the information there.

11 minutes ago, Scourge said:

nope, two different songs

ok, so they're not sharing any similarity? I think that one sample is in both songs for example and the overall mood or beat is too. Maybe someone with actual musical knowledge can elaborate further; but it's the very first thought I had in mind when hearing it.

14 minutes ago, Astat said:

As a musician I find it quite troublesome that someone can get a copyright takedown for uploading a song that they performed on.

I am not sure if I am following you. Do you imply the guy performed on the recording of Pictureboard?

14 minutes ago, Astat said:

Hm... what about that guy who also did What Are You Worth... imagine if he'd have uploaded it on SC.

Would a takedown be justified, if the other party (Mike/LP) hasn't been notified about it? I definitely think so.

1 minute ago, Jlumber said:

Yeah so apparently the guy that uploaded it played bass on it.

Not saying that you are wrong but is there a source for this? The only connection between him and LP I found was the podcast he was briefly talking about it in and he is not mentioning that he recorded anything with them there. 

8 minutes ago, Coizu said:

Not saying that you are wrong but is there a source for this? The only connection between him and LP I found was the podcast he was briefly talking about it in and he is not mentioning that he recorded anything with them there. 

22 minutes ago, Capacity said:

13 minutes ago, Coizu said:

He was the bass player for shows and music. Not sure if that's because Dave was doing Snax stuff or what. And then Xero decided to hold auditions for another bass player, he auditioned but so did Dave and they picked Dave. That's the story this guy tells on his SoundCloud. We've never heard of him before yesterday.

Of course we contacted him yesterday to get more of his Xero story but he's not going to reply, he's a huge multimillionaire/businessman.

edit: Why would any logical person take a file that's been taken down, upload it elsewhere, and post it here? LOL 

8 minutes ago, Coizu said:

So Linkinpedia lists that he was the one recorded Pictureboard with them. Once again, I am not saying that this is wrong I am just wondering how we know that for sure. There is no source listed for that fact.

They cite a podcast episode the guy did last week, where he said he recorded a little bit and played with LP for a bit, in 1998 it seems like. The podcast itself is about as dry as can be, but he starts talking about it around 37:00. Just straight up says it was Linkin Park.

This feels like another ridiculous bombshell. Big bands like this tend to rewrite their origins a little bit, and the early roster shuffles get lost to time as they get bigger and bigger, but I can absolutely buy that this guy floated in and out of the band for couple weeks in 1998 or whenever. Even bands like Rush and Green Day have had randos cycle in and out when they were just getting started.

What a wild day.

2 minutes ago, gorast said:

They cite a podcast episode the guy did last week, where he said he recorded a little bit and played with LP for a bit, in 1998 it seems like. The podcast itself is about as dry as can be, but he starts talking about it around 37:00. Just straight up says it was Linkin Park.

I know that and I also read the transcript of the podcast. But it is not mentioned explicitly that he recorded Pictureboard with them. I mean it is definitely not farfetched that he recorded Pictureboard but we don't have anyone involved clearly saying that he recorded the song with them. So I just don't think it should be worded as a definite fact.

4 minutes ago, Coizu said:

I know that and I also read the transcript of the podcast. But it is not mentioned explicitly that he recorded Pictureboard with them. I mean it is definitely not farfetched that he recorded Pictureboard but we don't have anyone involved clearly saying that he recorded the song with them. So I just don't think it should be worded as a definite fact.

I think it’s fair to assume since he uploaded the song to his soundcloud

I think the wiki tends to be a little too definitive at times, but I also don't know what behind-the-curtain sources LPL has/uses for that info, and I'm not particularly into asking on that front. It's a conclusion that's being drawn based on circumstantial evidence - why would this guy upload a song we've never heard, when he's some finance bigwig with no ties to this community whatsoever, and just quietly leave it up, weirdly tagged, if he wasn't part of the recording process? If he had an agenda, he'd probably upload a track from the demo tape to make his claim. But he came out with real receipts and stated that he was involved for a couple weeks. If he did one or two tracks, it's not like it couldn't be Pictureboard. It's mythic in the community just because it was one of the earliest mentions of an unreleased demo, and turned basically into a meme because the band was so secretive about it, probably because they didn't really care to talk about what they thought was a shitty demo.

Basically, I agree with the idea that this isn't a definitive lock to be true, but the evidence around it supports the idea that this guy came in, threw down a bass track on Pictureboard, got a copy of it, and let it sit on a hard drive for a couple decades before throwing it on his Soundcloud with some other random shit he recorded with other bands, oblivious to the thought that it would cause our fandom to explode if it got found out.

Makes me wonder if he got a call from Warner today, lol. I wonder if he'd even pick up the phone. No idea how guys like that operate.

1 hour ago, gorast said:

This feels like another ridiculous bombshell. Big bands like this tend to rewrite their origins a little bit, and the early roster shuffles get lost to time as they get bigger and bigger, but I can absolutely buy that this guy floated in and out of the band for couple weeks in 1998 or whenever. Even bands like Rush and Green Day have had randos cycle in and out when they were just getting started.

What a wild day.

Link of the episode?

4 hours ago, jopevc said:

In LP´s old computer we have two pictureboard files: "PB_Edit_2020" and "Demo_Pic_Board". Could they be diferent versions? One with Mark´s vocals and one with Chester´s vocals?

I'm thinking they just renamed it to indicate that the in yourself jam was a short "edit" of the full song. But that we're not actually going to get an edited file of it. 

Also, just heard the song. Definitely sounds real, definitely sounds like Mike, Mark, Joe's scratching. Sweet! Also some of the grooviest bass I think I've heard on an LP song

Edited by YRQRM0