Pictureboard = "In Yourself"/"Be Yourself"

LPLStaff

9 hours ago, Rasputin 93 said:

They just nuked the soundcloud file. I had it opened in my browser and then it wouldn't play anymore and it's not showing up after a refresh anymore either. Oh man, good job, Adam. He's certainly good at playing hide and seek with us, haha. It was this link: https://soundcloud.com/user-99907739/xero-linkin-park

Was it really uploaded a year ago?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Coizu said:

So Linkinpedia lists that he was the one recorded Pictureboard with them. Once again, I am not saying that this is wrong I am just wondering how we know that for sure. There is no source listed for that fact.

Why else would he even have the song?

8 minutes ago, Coizu said:

One possible scenario could be that they already had it recorded, they wanted to play it live and gave it to him so he can learn/practice it maybe.

There isn't a ton of history regarding this admittedly, but we know Scott got sent the Hybrid Theory EP as material to audition with on bass, and Chester's audition was apparently the Xero tape songs with Fuse swapped out for Esaul. Seems like they mostly gave people material they'd already put out to audition with. Also, not sure if you've heard the song, but the style of bass playing on it is a lot more fluid and busy-sounding than anything Dave typically played (although he seemed to replicate it just fine on the live tease in 2001).

Plus if you look at the other stuff on his SoundCloud, it's just a portfolio of material from various bands he's recorded with. I don't see why he'd sneak that in for no reason in between other unrelated stuff he actually played on.

Would that have been the only Xero track he was on? Strange that that would have been that particular track he would have uploaded. Sorry if that is mentioned in the podcast, I haven't had the chance to check it.

Edit: What is the sample on it? Sorry again if this is an existing theory, but the instrumental has some noticeable similarities to She Couldn't, what if this was a case of Stick N Move/Runaway and Blue/Crawling where two separate songs exist, but the latter stemmed from the former, and She Couldn't stemmed from Pictureboard, and the sample issue was always She Couldn't?

Edited by jFar920

2 hours ago, Astat said:

There isn't a ton of history regarding this admittedly, but we know Scott got sent the Hybrid Theory EP as material to audition with on bass, and Chester's audition was apparently the Xero tape songs with Fuse swapped out for Esaul. Seems like they mostly gave people material they'd already put out to audition with. Also, not sure if you've heard the song, but the style of bass playing on it is a lot more fluid and busy-sounding than anything Dave typically played (although he seemed to replicate it just fine on the live tease in 2001).

Plus if you look at the other stuff on his SoundCloud, it's just a portfolio of material from various bands he's recorded with. I don't see why he'd sneak that in for no reason in between other unrelated stuff he actually played on.

Very good points, and in general I think it is totally reasonable to assume that he recorded the bass on it.

I just don't think it is best to write it down as a fact. Maybe I am really nitpicking about the wording here and I am sorry if I come across like someone stupidly annoying, but I think wording it more like "he most likely recorded the bass for Pictureboard" is a more reasonable approach here.

2 hours ago, jFar920 said:

Would that have been the only Xero track he was on? Strange that that would have been that particular track he would have uploaded. Sorry if that is mentioned in the podcast, I haven't had the chance to check it.

Edit: What is the sample on it? Sorry again if this is an existing theory, but the instrumental has some noticeable similarities to She Couldn't, what if this was a case of Stick N Move/Runaway and Blue/Crawling where two separate songs exist, but the latter stemmed from the former, and She Couldn't stemmed from Pictureboard, and the sample issue was always She Couldn't?

The sample issue on She Couldn’t is a Mos Def vocal sample. I think the sample on Pictureboard is the intro strings*, which show up in slightly altered form on I think track 5, or roughly 5 minutes into the Tasty Gas Station Breaks vinyl (which makes me wonder if they were altered between the Xero and Chester version of the song, but time will tell, I guess?). IDK that we ever figured out what they were, but it wasn’t uncommon then for Mike to sample artists like Bjork, Deftones, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. We learned that from the MPC - I think even the “Sky” demo of Crawling featured Bjork strings that got re-done. 

I think the edit is going to be these strings cut out, which honestly wouldn’t make a huge impact given the songs mix - they’re a lot more textural than they are integral. I also would not be surprised if the sample is missing from “She Couldn’t” on HT20, but just isn’t highlighted in the file name. 

*EDIT: I saw after posting the above on Linkinpedia that it’s actually the outdo drums, not the strings. 

Speaking on the bass thing, is it possible that Pictureboard and the Zomba Rhinestone are from the same sessions? He mentions them having new gear post-publishing deal on the podcast, so that gives us a bit of a timeline. It’s possible we’ll never know, but the leaked Pictureboard could have been tracked but not properly mixed and mastered the same way. It’s definitely not as rough as the cassette material, but not as polished as an official release. Also, do the LPU CDs with Slip, etc. have specific performance credits versus writing credits? Only think I can think I terms of some other timeline stuff towards the end of Xero into Hybrid Theory is the “Xero Reborn” thing being something both Chester and Pheonix both knowing. It’s a demo they both know, but we never heard. I wonder if anything coming on HT20 could be that?

Edited by letdownagain

Maybe this is just me being musically ignorant (composing wise, at least), but those strings don't sound very special in the sense that they couldn't have been replicated or that they carry a copyrighted melody, if they were the issue, why couldn't live strings have been used instead of a sample?

I also recall similar sounding strings on that reassembled She Couldn't instrumental "Emo", but that stuff has been since wiped clean from the internet so I can't exactly easily compare, but the "final" doesn't have strings like that as far as I remember

Ahah, quite awesome to finally have it...even though we kinda had a glimpse for 20 years :D 

The whispering part is a bit .. funny,  the whole thing is sketchy, but the "chorus" melody is stuck in my head.  Somehow,  HT-era && pre-fame LP melodies have always been a win for me.

Edited by Qwerty18

3 hours ago, letdownagain said:

Speaking on the bass thing, is it possible that Pictureboard and the Zomba Rhinestone are from the same sessions? He mentions them having new gear post-publishing deal on the podcast, so that gives us a bit of a timeline. It’s possible we’ll never know, but the leaked Pictureboard could have been tracked but not properly mixed and mastered the same way. It’s definitely not as rough as the cassette material, but not as polished as an official release. Also, do the LPU CDs with Slip, etc. have specific performance credits versus writing credits? Only think I can think I terms of some other timeline stuff towards the end of Xero into Hybrid Theory is the “Xero Reborn” thing being something both Chester and Pheonix both knowing. It’s a demo they both know, but we never heard. I wonder if anything coming on HT20 could be that?

Yes. Same sessions is the guess. Pictureboard, Slip, probably some Rapology stuff, Esaul, etc.

All of you saying Andrew played bass on Pictureboad for sure cause of circumstantial evidence. None one you saw this? “And so started playing with this one band. And we traded music and got together two or three times.” 
This could easily be from them “trading music” and thats just all he had left from Xero so he uploaded it. That’s the most logical explanation to me. Im not saying he couldnt have played bass on this, but with the evidence we got, id say this is more likely.

Almost forgot to post this but the shoutbox discussion reminded me:

So I checked the Soundcloud API response about the track while it was still there.

The fields that give you the date and time of the upload was the same as the date and time of the last edit.

When you change a track from private to public, it will update the time of the last edit to whenever you made that change.

You can also check out a (broken) cached version of the soundcloud page from June this year: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nC_XRwX_MvUJ:https://soundcloud.com/user-99907739/xero-linkin-park&lr=lang_de|lang_en&hl=en&gl=de&tbs=lr:lang_1de|lang_1en&strip=1&vwsrc=0

So in short: The song was public on Soundcloud since over a year. Crazy.

4 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

The singing is terrible IMO. Just can’t listen to it, but I’m glad you enjoy it. Instrumentally is cool tho 

I guess I'm in the minority here but I really like Mark's singing. I guess it's the fact that the songs featuring him are pretty rare and obscure... I also really enjoy Ground Xero (though I'm not sure if that's really Wakefield on vocals). Still, Chester's vocals are obviously far superior, can't argue with that :) 

10 hours ago, Astat said:

Also, not sure if you've heard the song, but the style of bass playing on it is a lot more fluid and busy-sounding than anything Dave typically played (although he seemed to replicate it just fine on the live tease in 2001).

Not a music expert but it's nice to know the diffference between them.

1 hour ago, MS2000 said:

I always loved "Be Yourself" maybe i know why rn, lol, what a plot twist

Same man. I always loved that little interlude. The bass, guitar and drums were a tight arrangement,  I was so surprised than band didnt do much with it.