Pictureboard = "In Yourself"/"Be Yourself"

LPLStaff

I like the instrumental and the kinda grungy chorus, Mike's rapping good but not a massive fan of the whispered verses.  

not knocking Mark but he is so far off Chester imo, looking forward to hearing his version which will probably sound a lot better to me.

Pictureboard has similar traits to the Xero demo tape tracks, all of which I like, the raw/slightly rough sounding mix, Joe's scratching/samples, Mike's early rap style and Mark's distinctive vocal. Lacks the punch of RME though and the hooks/harmonies don't quite do enough to carry it without the heavier edge/change of pace. 

Solid effort for the time, but can see why it would be nowhere near making the cut for HT tbh .

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, leftshoe18 said:

I think the whispered verses were an attempt at a Deftones vibe and Mark just isn't Chino.

The influence is there for sure, but yeah it doesn't sound right lol. With that said, I expect Chester's version to be way better and sound less contrived.

Great to hear Pictureboard at last (well, at least the Mark version). I wouldn't expect perfect singing on such an early demo. It's definitely derivative of Deftones, although they had that influence on "Esaul" too (most notably the "Aztec Moon" version). I think Mike's rap rhythm is all over the place on it too. I expect the Chester version is a bit rewritten but don't know for sure.

Edited by rasb

I doubt this predates the demo tape. The sound is way more crisp than the demo tape was. This was probably recorded around the same time as the better quality version of Rhinestone. Difference in quality mostly being that Rhinestone was mastered for release while this doesn't appear to have been.

3 hours ago, rasb said:

Great to hear Pictureboard at last (well, at least the Mark version). I wouldn't expect perfect singing on such an early demo (since, given the bass playing, it predates even the demo tape). It's definitely derivative of Deftones, although they had that influence on "Esaul" too (most notably the "Aztec Moon" version). I think Mike's rap rhythm is all over the place on it too. I expect the Chester version is a bit rewritten but don't know for sure.

Absolutely doesn't predate the demo tape. This was after they signed their publishing deal. The demo tape was literally just Mike and Mark on everything except Rhinestone, there wasn't even a "band" yet.

We don't know a lot about the timeline between the demo tape and when Chester joined, but Dave was either in and out of the band at different points due to his involvement with the Snax, or he didn't join until after the rest of the band had been put together. It's entirely possible he wasn't even their first bass player.

3 minutes ago, Astat said:

Absolutely doesn't predate the demo tape. This was after they signed their publishing deal. The demo tape was literally just Mike and Mark on everything except Rhinestone, there wasn't even a "band" yet.

We don't know a lot about the timeline between the demo tape and when Chester joined, but Dave was either in and out of the band at different points due to his involvement with the Snax, or he didn't join until after the rest of the band had been put together.

Misread the Wiki page. Have removed that bit now.

3 minutes ago, rd1994 said:

I think we should wait for the official release. I mean the box set is gonna include Chesters version and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the lyrics will be changed.

Okay. I'm guessing we can wait until the Chester variation/version is out before the lyrics are put down.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, leftshoe18 said:

I think the whispered verses were an attempt at a Deftones vibe and Mark just isn't Chino.

IMHO, but I think Mark sounds more like Layne Staley from Alice In Chains than Chino. This could also be due to the fact that you can hear a lot of grunge influence in Xero's music (As in the same Pictureboard or Rhinestone as an example)

Linkinpedia's most likely waiting for the official release to acknowledge the leak at all so as not to piss off Warner. Notice that there hasn't been a separate thread about the leak, either.

HT20 is a huge deal and it's very important to tread carefully so that the site's position isn't jeopardized. I'm sure once the box has been out for a bit we'll see more acknowledgment of the leak.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

I’ve never treated PB as the holy grail, never been THAT interested, but I really like it, not underwhelmed at all, strong for being a demo, but Could have been is as good if not better, not to talk about Stick n Move 

I mean it’s as bad as Mike said it was. It’s terrible lol. Usually Mike is wrong about demos or b-sides. However he’s right here. Pictureboard to me is an F. But we need it because it’s a huge part of LP history. Could Have Been is a fun demo, I enjoy it. Stick N Move is great because it’s Chester singing and LP jamming a full Xero demo. 

9 hours ago, Zoom said:

37X7t.png

Oh hell no. Email them or reply back to this that they’re wrong. LPL will go to bat for this one. They have to accept this, it’s in the HT20 album credits. I can contact them tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, hahninator said:

I mean it’s as bad as Mike said it was. It’s terrible lol. Usually Mike is wrong about demos or b-sides. However he’s right here. Pictureboard to me is an F. But we need it because it’s a huge part of LP history. Could Have Been is a fun demo, I enjoy it. Stick N Move is great because it’s Chester singing and LP jamming a full Xero demo. 

Oh hell no. Email them or reply back to this that they’re wrong. LPL will go to bat for this one. They have to accept this, it’s in the HT20 album credits. I can contact them tomorrow. 

TBH I don’t agree about it being bad, it’s interesting, yeah it’s clunky but interesting, very raw. I find it more interesting than many LPU demos we got in the past TBH, same for CHB. But it’s a personal point of view 🙂

13 hours ago, hahninator said:

In general, it would be great if someone could recreate that beat using this sample.

"Hello,

I just tried to credit Pictureboard by Linkin Park with the sampled track I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby by Barry White. The drums are sampled here. When I submitted it, I got this message from you guys: "Thanks for your submission. However, it was declined since this sample was previously rejected. Please don't let this discourage you, and keep on submitting!"

However, the rejection is incorrect. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory 20 box set credits specifically credit this drum sample and the band has talked about sampling the track in Pictureboard. Specifically, it is the ending drum sample loop in Pictureboard if you want to check it out for yourself.

Please fix this ASAP.

Thanks,
LPLive"