Quick question? Ask here!

DecanoLP

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your first question is like asking why LP never played Across The Line. No real answer there.

it's not exactly the same because "Give Me Your Name" is part of the album, and outside the album the played only "20 Eyes", and except a few shows they played 11 songs and then change it to 13, so it's not because time limit.

actually this is interesting question. but maybe like you said - no real answer there.

Edited by Skipees

it's not exactly the same because "Give Me Your Name" is part of the album...

I don't disagree with anything else you said, but this isn't valid. Robot Boy (although we know why they didn't play that one), STB, UIB, etc. are all part of albums. They still haven't played [yet].

I don't disagree with anything else you said, but this isn't valid. Robot Boy (although we know why they didn't play that one), STB, UIB, etc. are all part of albums. They still haven't played [yet].

Robot Boy - you mean because of this?

Until It Breaks - played with "Waiting For The End" - counts imo..

I'll Be Gone, Roads Untraveled, Skin To Bone and Powerless - Yet :P

anyway for "Robot Boy" there's a reason, for "Give Me Your Name" there isn't.

Edited by Skipees

There is a reason why Give Me Your Name was not played. I think Chester said something like that this is his and his wifes song, so it has a special meaning to him. He reportedly played the song at their wedding. That probably would have made it awkward for him to play it at normal shows and maybe also because it just doesn't really fit.

Also considering the fact that Chester said in Inked magazine in 2008 ''If someone doesn't like Give Me Your Name, I'll cut their fucking face off''. Maybe he didn't want people to critique it or something, who knows. I think AndOne's answer is the best explanation.

Give Me Your Name is also in the same vein as songs like Hands Held High and Robot Boy in terms of vocal layering. If Linkin Park couldn't pull off those two songs with 5 people in the band who could potentially sing harmonies (keep in mind that the band has confirmed the reason they quit playing HHH was solely because of the vocals not sounding right), there's no way DBS could pull off Give Me Your Name with just Chester and Ryan.

Edited by Astat

Give Me Your Name is also in the same vein as songs like Hands Held High and Robot Boy in terms of vocal layering. If Linkin Park couldn't pull off those two songs with 5 people in the band who could potentially sing harmonies (keep in mind that the band has confirmed the reason they quit playing HHH was solely because of the vocals not sounding right), there's no way DBS could pull off Give Me Your Name with just Chester and Ryan.

Well, DBS also had Elias and Brandon (who are probably better singers than Joe, Brad or Phoenix). They just never bothered to sing backup vocals during the DBS shows.

Why does the synth from the choruses of New Divide sound exactly like

song from Mass Effect 3?

Check it from 2:31. I mean seriously.

I don't see it's exactly same. But I think they are both sounds like rectangle waves. That'a why sound similar.

Correct, the synth sound for New divide is real simple. Pretty easy to replicate.

I'll ask here too, does anyone known the correct band order from Club Tattoo 2006? All I know for sure is that FM performed after BOW and Z-Trip after FM.

I think it was

The Dirty Heads

Story Of The Year

Bucket Of Weenies

Julien-K

Fort Minor

Z-Trip

I think this because I know SOTY played before BOW since my bootleg has a lot of talking before BOW came on stage and Chester says ''Man Story Of The Year just kicked some major ass''. I know Chester damaged some equipment for Fort Minor, so they took longer to come on, and then Z-Trip couldn't finish his set because the party got shut down for running way after curfew, so Z-Trip obviously was last. Chester also made appearances on Enth E Nd with FM and then Technical Difficulties with Julien-K, and he was wearing different outfits in the BOW performance, as well as the FM and JK performances. Wicked Wisdom was supposed to be in the line-up, but I believe they were replaced with Julien-K because Julien-K wasn't on the original flier, and I don't think Wicked Wisdom ever played.

Edited by Geki

what's the real story behind Scott Belsha?

I don't PERSONALLY think he was involved in Xero, but I may be wrong. The generally established timeline for Xero's formation usually goes something like this:

-Mike and Mark decide to start making music after seeing an Anthrax/Public Enemy concert in the early '90s (BTW - I think I figured out the date of this show! October 10th, 1991 at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center in Oakland, CA), and they form a band together a few years later.

-Mike invites his high school friend Brad to join the band, and Brad essentially brings Rob with him, as they previously played together in Relative Degree.

-Mike meets Joe at the Pasadena art school and invites him to join.

-Brad is roommates with Phoenix at UCLA and invites him to join.

Basically what it comes down to is that I can't really imagine Brad being in the band without Rob...although I do find it interesting that the songs on the Xero tape are only credited to Shinoda/Wakefield/Delson/Hahn. Makes me wonder if maybe the full band lineup wasn't finalized when those demos were recorded...

I've been meaning to get clarification on this in one of the LPU chats, but I always forget to ask.

I don't PERSONALLY think he was involved in Xero, but I may be wrong. The generally established timeline for Xero's formation usually goes something like this:

-Mike and Mark decide to start making music after seeing an Anthrax/Public Enemy concert in the early '90s (BTW - I think I figured out the date of this show! October 10th, 1991 at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center in Oakland, CA), and they form a band together a few years later.

-Mike invites his high school friend Brad to join the band, and Brad essentially brings Rob with him, as they previously played together in Relative Degree.

-Mike meets Joe at the Pasadena art school and invites him to join.

-Brad is roommates with Phoenix at UCLA and invites him to join.

Basically what it comes down to is that I can't really imagine Brad being in the band without Rob...although I do find it interesting that the songs on the Xero tape are only credited to Shinoda/Wakefield/Delson/Hahn. Makes me wonder if maybe the full band lineup wasn't finalized when those demos were recorded...

I've been meaning to get clarification on this in one of the LPU chats, but I always forget to ask.

Would be awesome to get clarification on this. If I attend the next LPU chat, I will try and ask whoever it is if you can't make it on there.

Kind of off topic, but wasn't Rob in a band called 'The Pricks' too? I bought some weird LP documentary DVD back in like 2004 from FYE and it didn't have any interviews from the band members, but some guy on there said that Rob was in a band called 'The Pricks' as well as Relative Degree or something.

Would be awesome to get clarification on this. If I attend the next LPU chat, I will try and ask whoever it is if you can't make it on there.

Kind of off topic, but wasn't Rob in a band called 'The Pricks' too? I bought some weird LP documentary DVD back in like 2004 from FYE and it didn't have any interviews from the band members, but some guy on there said that Rob was in a band called 'The Pricks' as well as Relative Degree or something.

The Pricks was Brad's first band.

I was wondering today.. I know LP hired Ethan Mates to help them with recording MTM in the early stages-through completion (according to the MTM booklet), and I also know that Ethan Mates has done live mixes and stuff for LP. Does anyone know specifically what ones he has done? Has he done ones prior to 2006? A list of all Ethan Mates mixes would be awesome.. I really love his mixes more than Pooch and Dylan's, and I want to collect them all.

I was wondering today.. I know LP hired Ethan Mates to help them with recording MTM in the early stages-through completion (according to the MTM booklet), and I also know that Ethan Mates has done live mixes and stuff for LP. Does anyone know specifically what ones he has done? Has he done ones prior to 2006? A list of all Ethan Mates mixes would be awesome.. I really love his mixes more than Pooch and Dylan's, and I want to collect them all.

I like Pooch's work much better but Ethan does have some solid stuff. I definitely don't know every single song and I probably am missing some, but to my knowledge this is what he has mixed:

12.08.2006 - Osaka, Japan (See next show ->)

13.06.2006 - Tokyo, Japan (He mixed all of the live releases from these two shows. LPU 6's tracks (QWERTY, Pushing Me Away, Breaking The Habit, and Reading My Eyes) and the What I've Done single's tracks (Faint and From The Inside).)

12.09.2010 - Los Angeles, CA (He mixed the Griffith Observatory performance of The Catalyst for MTV.)

07.11.2010 - Madrid, Spain (He mixed ATS+. It says he mixed the Puerta De Acala iTunes EP too. And apparently the 5.1 DVD of this show.)

04.02.2011 - New York City, NY (He mixed the Fuse broadcast of the Madison Square Garden show.)

05.02.2011 - New York City, NY (He mixed the SNL broadcast of Waiting For The End, Empty Spaces, and When They Come For Me.)

23.06.2011 - Moscow, Russia (He mixed the MTV broadcast of the Transformers 3 Premiere show.)

04.07.2011 - London, England (He mixed the iTunes EP of the iTunes Festival show.)

01.06.2012 - Adenau, Germany (I believe he mixed the BID/LGM live tracks that are on a few releases, from either RaR or RiP.)

05.06.2012 - Berlin, Germany (He mixed the show for the theater showing, but did NOT mix it in 5.1. After he mixed it originally, another company did the 5.1 and they fucked it up. The mix sounded terrible to me.)

He did not mix the Live 8 songs on LPU 5 but he was a part of the process - it says he was working on Pro Tools for that release.

It wouldn't surprise me if he mixed High Voltage from Wantagh 2001 on the iTunes release a few months ago either. I'm sure there are random tracks I am missing from this. Additionally he has done studio work with the band and can be seen in the MTM DVD, Mike even refers to him by name. I think he's in the ATS DVD too. His website doesn't show it but I believe he worked on LIVING THINGS as well (studio engineer like two albums before that) as well as The Mall soundtrack/score that the band has been working on since last year. New Divide was mixed by him I think. And other random stuff. "Mixed all B Sides and Bonus material for LP’s “Living Things”". He mixed Across The Line, Blackbirds, etc (all those random MTM b-sides) in 2007 even though they weren't released until later. It says he did the video game tracks for LP before ATS came out so that means The Catalyst (MOH Mix) and whatever other songs were on soundtracks. Blackout? And one more. Mixed two songs on Songs For The Underground (not live songs). I'd assume those are Announcement Service Public and QWERTY.

Although they aren't on live releases, his website says: "Mixed Linkin Park live at the iHeart Radio festival, Video Game Awards, and American Music Awards" and a lot of other stuff LP-related like that. So he's mixed quite a bit for the band. He didn't do the actual SHOW mixes for those shows since Pooch is in charge of that but I assume this means he mixed CASTLE OF GLASS for TV, BURN IT DOWN for TV, and the iHeart Radio recording or something (not necessarily the webcast). I don't know if Ethan did Road To Revolution or not.

Another note is that it interestingly says Don fucking Gilmore mixed Wish and One Step Closer from LPU 4. Wow. Perhaps he did the Hip Hop Medley and/or Breaking The Habit on that CD too. I really have no idea who mixed the 2001-2003/2004 stuff. Someone will have to look up each "single" because I'm too lazy.

Sources I used for all of this:

http://lpcatalog.com

http://www.ethanmates.com/Credits.html

I don't know if he mixed the Third Encore 2007 songs or not that were released.

http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9468

Any of the songs on the "singles" were mixed by Pooch/Dylan since they came from the DSP sources.

see adove

Wow, thanks for this list! Really helped a lot. He has mixed so many things that I didn't know about. I wonder if he mixed the LPU7 CD because it sounds way different than the DSP rips of the performances. Also, I think he may have done Crawling and Hunger Strike from Songs From The Underground.. Maybe all the live tracks included on the LP singles from the What I've Done single onwards? Pooch and Dylan are awesome mixers, I love their stuff too, I just prefer Ethan's mixes. I loved the Fuse rip of MSG..