Quick question? Ask here!

DecanoLP

How come for the flyers for PR 2008, it says Street Drum Corps played first, but at the shows I went to, they opened the main stage?? I'm confused. Did Armor For Sleep open up the show or did Street Drum Corps?

The original idea for SDC was that they were going to perform as a processional after the rest of the Revolution Stage bands were done - they'd start on/near the Revolution Stage and perform while walking over to the main stage, where they'd finish up. I'm guessing that turned out to be a logistical problem, because it never happened, so they just had them open up the main stage.

No idea why they were listed as openers on the original flyer though.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Quick question:ding ding

Which show was used in Live in Texas DVD we already have? Irving or Houston?

The Catalyst cover in RTR DVD:

Posted Image

Why?!

Both shows were edited together to make live in Texas. There's a couple of things that give away what show was what.

As for the picture, I cannot answer that hahaha. Maybe on of the visuals for a song in the set had the same sort of image?

Both shows were edited together to make live in Texas. There's a couple of things that give away what show was what.

Really!I didn't know that.

As for the picture, I cannot answer that hahaha. Maybe on of the visuals for a song in the set had the same sort of image?

Maybe :huh:

I dont think we can jump to conclusions that a circle being used in the band's live visuals is therefore a precursor to The Catalyst's single cover...

Road To Rev. = 2008

The Catalyst = 2010

that's a long time for the band to have "that circle we had onstage" playing in heir minds...

yes, I'm sure Mike mentions Houston in his usual "pump up the crowd" thing he does on song intros before the guitars kick in, if we figure out which shirt he was wearing on the DVD on that song, I'm pretty sure you could then figure out which songs were from which show on the DVD/CD.

Mike and Chester noticable change clothes and get sweatier/less sweaty throughout the DVD. it's kind of annoying really - why not just put out one show...?

yes, I'm sure Mike mentions Houston in his usual "pump up the crowd" thing he does on song intros before the guitars kick in, if we figure out which shirt he was wearing on the DVD on that song, I'm pretty sure you could then figure out which songs were from which show on the DVD/CD.

Mike and Chester noticable change clothes and get sweatier/less sweaty throughout the DVD. it's kind of annoying really - why not just put out one show...?

Maybe we should ask about this in the next LPU chat.

Wikipedia says:

The video footage is made up of the audio from the Dallas show and video from both the Houston and Dallas shows; because of this the band had to wear the same clothes on two shows, although there are still noticeable differences. For example, it can be seen that Mike Shinoda wears two similar but different shirts, Brad Delson's guitar sometimes changes multiple times in the middle of songs from a red PRS to a black Ibanez, despite there being no break in the guitar, as well as lead singer Chester Bennington's shirt soaked with sweat, and it being completely dry the next time he is shown on screen.

The video changes from one show to the other, they are bascially cut in half. I think the change happens after Figure.09.

They should release it on Bluray someday. The DVD release is quite bad for a DVD and far away from state of the art back then. It's not anamorphic and no extras. Also some of the shots were not filmed in high definition so some parts wouldn't look that great on bluray and it would be much more noticable than on dvd.

There's the Live in Texas TV special where the band mentions they original wanted to include some sort of movie along with the show but they spent to much time on mixing the audio...

Using two shows is one thing but trying to "trick" people into believing it's one performance is kinda awkward to me. Imo it's actually kinda gross they wear the same clothes again on purpose (even though I know they've been able to wash them, lol)

Wikipedia says:

The video footage is made up of the audio from the Dallas show and video from both the Houston and Dallas shows; because of this the band had to wear the same clothes on two shows, although there are still noticeable differences. For example, it can be seen that Mike Shinoda wears two similar but different shirts, Brad Delson's guitar sometimes changes multiple times in the middle of songs from a red PRS to a black Ibanez, despite there being no break in the guitar, as well as lead singer Chester Bennington's shirt soaked with sweat, and it being completely dry the next time he is shown on screen.

The video changes from one show to the other, they are bascially cut in half. I think the change happens after Figure.09.

They should release it on Bluray someday. The DVD release is quite bad for a DVD and far away from state of the art back then. It's not anamorphic and no extras. Also some of the shots were not filmed in high definition so some parts wouldn't look that great on bluray and it would be much more noticable than on dvd.

There's the Live in Texas TV special where the band mentions they original wanted to include some sort of movie along with the show but they spent to much time on mixing the audio...

Using two shows is one thing but trying to "trick" people into believing it's one performance is kinda awkward to me. Imo it's actually kinda gross they wear the same clothes again on purpose (even though I know they've been able to wash them, lol)

I really doubt the audio is all from Dallas - just compare the LPU 3 version of Don't Stay with the one on the DVD for instance, two different performances (Mike says different things to the crowd during the breakdown). They obviously recorded the audio from both shows and used them both to some extent.

If there are differences between the DVD and th CD, that kind of page would be really useful. It bugs me that they tried to put two performances as one, and I often the find the video editing really frustrating - some of the cuts are just way too fast, it gets too much after a while...

If only that Dallas taper had been keen to share his audio - we could sift through which version was from which show :lol:

They are perfectionists, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to get sure they can fix stuff easy when something goes wrong on either shows. They were "just" an opening band for Metallica, what if the crowd is not good enough etc. maybe a risk they didn't want to take for their first live dvd. It costs a lot more to record 2 shows instead of just one.

They are perfectionists, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to get sure they can fix stuff easy when something goes wrong on either shows. They were "just" an opening band for Metallica, what if the crowd is not good enough etc. maybe a risk they didn't want to take for their first live dvd. It costs a lot more to record 2 shows instead of just one.

IMO, the band should have just filmed the Docklands show for their first live release.

Rob triggered samples that I know of:

Papercut - that little "DA-da-DA-da-DA" fill before the second chorus is done on Rob's pads.

Points of Authority - the metallic "baseball bat hitting a metal pipe" type sound is done with a rim-mounted trigger on Rob's snare.

Crawling - all the digital percussion in the verses uses Rob's two main pads as well as his "digital kick" (second bass drum pedal to the right of his main one that hits a trigger pad on the ground).

A Place For My Head - "DUN DUN" synth samples done on pads.

Faint - intro and breakdown (during the soft section Mike sings before the last chorus) both use pad samples.

Figure.09 - intro samples done on pads.

Shadow of the Day - intro/first verse "snare" sample played on pads.

Waiting For the End - tough call on this one, Rob's clearly playing along to the sampled drums from the album version, but I can't figure out if he's triggering the samples with his kit or he's just doubling a backing track.

Blackout - military-style snare drum parts in the intro done on pads.

Iridescent - the "snare" in the verse percussion part is a pad sample.

Wretches and Kings - the "hi hat" sample in the intro/first part of the first verse is a pad sample, and the big "boomy" tom fill before the choruses uses that big rack of 5 extra pads that were added on the ATS tour (those were originally added specifically for W&K, as Rob's since downsized from 5 extra pads to 3).

The Catalyst - intro percussion done on pads, the "synth drum" part that comes in starting with the second verse uses the digital kick as well as the rim-mounted snare trigger.

Lost in the Echo - entire song uses a combination of live drums and sampled ones, so he's all over the place on that one, particularly during the verses.

In My Remains - verse percussion done on pads.

Burn It Down - Rob uses a digital cymbal on this song, I'm not sure specifically what sound it triggers though. The "snare" during the verses is also a pad sample.

Lies Greed Misery - pads and digital kick used throughout the majority of the song, the only live drums are in the chorus and outro.

Castle of Glass - intro percussion done on pads.

Victimized - the "double bass" part from the studio version is played on Rob's pads live (Rob doesn't have a double kick, plus it's a sampled bass drum part anyway).

New Divide - digital kick used during the first verse.

I'm SURE I'm missing some too.

Damn, that's a lot more stuff on pads than I thought. Do you know who triggers that fast (I guess it's a triangle) clinging sound on parts of Victimized?

That's a really fast ride cymbal pattern that I'd assume Rob played on the album but it isn't done by him live. I'd assume Joe, Brad and Phoenix are both playing their regular instruments during the heavy parts of the song so Joe's the only one available to trigger it, unless it's one of those things they just use a backing track for.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a little odd one.

Does anyone have any screen caps or photos of Joes Lemur sample layouts for songs?

I've got the Lemur app on my iPad so I'm recreating a heap of the layouts. Here's a screencap of joes castle of glass layout so you guys get what I'm after.

Posted Image

Whatever you can give me would be awesome.

And for those who have the app, once I've create a bunch I'm more then happy to share these bad boys :)