Quick question? Ask here!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that different mixes of Shadow Of The Day and No Roads Left appear on the Deluxe Version of Minutes To Midnight on iTunes, but does anyone know if Across The Line is a different mix as well? It sounds quite like it is.

I think these are the 17 songs:

01. Wake

02. Given Up

03. Leave Out All The Rest

04. Bleed It Out

05. Shadow Of The Day

06. What I've Done

07. Hands Held High

08. No More Sorrow

09. Valentine's Day

10. In Between

11. In Pieces

12. The Little Things Give You Away

13. No Roads Left

14. Across The Line

15. Blackbirds

16. Not Alone (lyrics changed/re-recorded)

17. What We Don't Know

Rob said "We ended up recording 17 total. We put 10 of those, plus an intro, on the album."

"10 of those" is obviously wrong, but the "plus an intro" part makes me wonder if "Wake" is among these 17 or if they had a 18th song...

I think maybe No Roads Left was intended to be part of the album because it was released right away when MTM was first released, the same day actually, on iTunes. We had to wait to get the other stuff. So maybe the other song was Pretend To Be?

I swear you ask this like every 6 months.

No Roads Left, Across the Line, Blackbirds, What We Don't Know are confirmed as songs 13-16 (NRL/ATL confirmed directly by the band, Blackbirds confirmed via being the "sixth strings song" seen on the DVD, What We Don't Know confirmed because it was mixed by Neal Avron, meaning it made it to the very end of the process unlike numerous other MTM demos). The 17th song could theoretically be any number of things, original version of Not Alone, Ammosick, Debris...I think all of those are unlikely though since Ammosick/Debris sound noticeably "unfinished," and Not Alone didn't have finalized lyrics until it was reworked for the Haiti compilation later on. Same could be said for Pretend to Be, which wasn't finished until the following year. We'd be looking for something that would be a completely finished song like the other 4, so I've always believed that the 17th song is something completely unknown to us. The only other thing I can think of is maybe Pale or Announcement Service Public were in consideration as an alternate album intro/second instrumental piece in addition to Wake, but those seem pretty unlikely to me, particularly ASP since it was released on LPU6 way before the album was even done.

I would think Wake would be counted as among the 17 since it was a seed that was worked on throughout the process just like everything else, not something they just tacked on after the rest of the album was done like they did with Foreword. Wake was always intended to be an intro/instrumental piece though, as evidenced by it being called "WAKE Album Intro Idea" as a seed. Rob was probably just setting it apart from the other tracks on the album as not being a "full" song.

I kinda lost track of all this stuff some time ago, but is there a reason why we never consider "Grecian" as the missing song?

I kinda lost track of all this stuff some time ago, but is there a reason why we never consider "Grecian" as the missing song?

The LPU5 newsletter article with Rob about the writing process for QWERTY mentions that they ditched Grecian when they started working on QWERTY, so it was already out of the picture by August of 2006, when they probably still had 40+ songs in the mix.

The LPU5 newsletter article with Rob about the writing process for QWERTY mentions that they ditched Grecian when they started working on QWERTY, so it was already out of the picture by August of 2006, when they probably still had 40+ songs in the mix.

+ Mike said it was never finished (LPU chat after MTM came out).

Edited by lpliveusername

On some of the setlist from 2010-2011 when they used to play When They Come For Me, It was listed as "NoBrain remix". Did he contribute anything on the song that they have to name it like that?

From LPAssociation's interview with NoBrain:

After the conversation on Skype Mike asked me If I could come up with ideas for particular parts of two songs [When They Come For Me & Jornada Del Muerto]. Of course I have replied “HELL YEAAAH!” (that was not exactly what I said but I definitely said it in my head! ;-])
So Mike created a session on indabamusic and uploaded the parts he wanted me to work on. At that point I was stressed out because I have never worked on a track in that kind of environment. Moreover the time given was very limited. And if that was not enough Mike told me that the things I create do not have to appear on the album because the band has their own view on how the album should sound.
I am going to be honest with you, at the beginning it was very difficult to deal with the stress. Every time I started doing something I could not forget what and for whom I was doing it (this is something I have never said before). What is more at that point I had my bathroom totally rebuild so all the noise made it even more difficult. But then when I was actually making various sounds the pressure went away and I was enjoying it a lot and in the end they have included my additions!
When I was working on When They Come For Me & Jornada Del Muerto Mike told me that ONE of my ideas will be included. And in the end it was When They Come For Me.
So in the end not only my remix will be published but my additions will appear on “A Thousand Suns”.

Even now, when I am reliving all of it again, it seems so absolutely surreal.

On some of the setlist from 2010-2011 when they used to play When They Come For Me, It was listed as "NoBrain remix". Did he contribute anything on the song that they have to name it like that?

The listing on the setlist was more of a handwritten note, and I believe it said "NoBrain Thing," not "NoBrain Remix." I don't think we ever figured out exactly what it meant specifically, but given that NoBrain's work on the song appeared during the outro, the consensus was that it was probably a reminder of some sample Mike needed to trigger or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

What version is the original High Voltage? Is the one from Hybrid Theory EP different than the one from One Step Closer single?

Yes, they are very different.

The original version of High Voltage is the one from the EP. You can find it in the Downloads section. The version from the OSC single is the one the band used to play live:

Bumping these three questions:

The only form that S.C.O.M. / Dolla / Get It / Spraypaint & Ink Pens ‎were released was vinyl?

Grammar question:

Why do we write "Papercut (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus))"?

Why "OR" and not "AND"?

Whatever was on sampler tapes (Hybrid Theory and Linkin Park) was available as CD/digital download?

The listing on the setlist was more of a handwritten note, and I believe it said "NoBrain Thing," not "NoBrain Remix." I don't think we ever figured out exactly what it meant specifically, but given that NoBrain's work on the song appeared during the outro, the consensus was that it was probably a reminder of some sample Mike needed to trigger or something like that.

That "swirl" thing in the outro I believe is from him. And yes it said NoBrain Thing, not NoBrain Remix, as you said. You're right, it's a sample by Mike.

Grammar question:

Why do we write "Papercut (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus))"?

Why "OR" and not "AND"?

you use "or" if you're notifying both things as an accumulation of something negative. you use "and" when you're accumulating two things positively - "and" is an "adding" word (look at how it's used in lists of things) even early mathematics used "and" instead of "add"

for example -

Papercut Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus) - both things are being "minused" from a whole, in this context the "or" is a "taking away" word.

Bleed It Out (with The Catalyst Refrain and Rob's Drum Solo) - because both things are being added to the whole.

if you want t get really complicated, "Papercut (shortened: missing the first verse and first chorus)" would be correct, since the "and" here positively accumulates things that are missing, which is already a negative statement, which therefore makes the "and" acceptable to use in the context.

WORD MATHS!