Quick question? Ask here!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an easier quick question for you Astat. Can you identify any songs that Brad (or Mike) has, without a doubt, recorded with PRS guitars in the studio? And continuing on that, can you identify any songs he has recorded with Ibanez guitars?

Edited by Lord-of-the-Wobbuffets

I have an easier quick question for you Astat. Can you identify any songs that Brad (or Mike) has, without a doubt, recorded with PRS guitars in the studio? And continuing on that, can you identify any songs he has recorded with Ibanez guitars?

With You and Runaway were recorded with an Ibanez 7-string. The intro to A Place for My Head was recorded with the piezo pickup of an Ibanez Prestige series guitar. Don't Stay and Nobody's Listening were recorded with an Ibanez baritone guitar (the rhythm tracks on Somewhere I Belong were likely recorded with one too, the studio version is in Bb tuning but the live version is in Eb). Brad had another Ibanez RG in the studio for Meteora too, if I had to guess, it was probably used for the clean parts on Easier to Run since they're in a weird tuning. Everything else on HT and Meteora was done on PRS's. Mike also didn't play guitar on any final studio recordings until Minutes to Midnight, so those 2 albums are pretty straightforward. I don't believe they used Ibanez guitars at all from Minutes to Midnight onward (and definitely not from ATS-present). The Strat songs are always easy to pick out, but the songs with humbuckers are trickier to identify since they've been using a combination of PRS and Gibson (Les Paul and SG) guitars in the studio for those since MTM.

Mike also didn't play guitar on any final studio recordings until Minutes to Midnight

I thought he recorded one of the guitar parts for Breaking the Habit and resampled it.

In addition, is My December also on a PRS? Because I know it's tuned down to Drop C, which is a different tuning than he usually uses. Adding on to that, do you think Daron used his normal guitar on Rebellion or one of Brad/Mike's guitars?

And I believe you've stated that you don't do Phoenix's basses. Is there any particular reason for that or is it personal preference?

I thought he recorded one of the guitar parts for Breaking the Habit and resampled it.

In addition, is My December also on a PRS? Because I know it's tuned down to Drop C, which is a different tuning than he usually uses. Adding on to that, do you think Daron used his normal guitar on Rebellion or one of Brad/Mike's guitars?

And I believe you've stated that you don't do Phoenix's basses. Is there any particular reason for that or is it personal preference?

True, the guitar part in the Drawing demo actually was re-used in the final recording, so I guess that's a rare exception from that era.

I'd assume My December was on a PRS because they recorded it in Nashville while they were on tour, so Brad probably just used one of his touring guitars to record it (which at the time would have been his first blue PRS and his silver Ibanez 7-string, and not much else).

Daron is a big Gibson SG guy, and LP already had a vintage one in the studio when they were working on THP, so he could have used that or one of his own, but either way it's almost definitely an SG.

The 2 main reasons I don't keep track of Phoenix's basses are 1. Phoenix isn't photographed/filmed nearly as often as Mike, Chester, and Brad, and 2. when Phoenix changes the pickguards on his Stingrays, he doesn't always use the same color pickguard that was on a particular bass previously, so it makes it VERY difficult to tell when he's using a new one or when he's using an old one with a new pickguard. There are a few obvious ones like the "broken" Given Up bass and a couple of his older 5-strings that were in more unusual colors (he had a yellow and a purple one back in the early days!), but other than those and the handful of Fender Precision basses he uses, I've had a really hard time trying to keep track of them over the years.

I'm sure if this happened it was at least 7 years ago, but would the guitar techs ever retune guitars mid-set?

This actually still happens on occasion. Brad and Mike's backup Db-tuned guitars also serve as their Eb-tuned guitars for A Place for My Head and Somewhere I Belong. Since they're backups, they stay in Db by default in case they're needed, but once one of those songs is coming up in the setlist, they get re-tuned. Sean also used to do this with Brad's Drop D PRS for When They Come for Me, which is in standard tuning.

Other than that, the only other example I can think of is on LP's first tours in 2000, when the only guitars Brad had were his blue PRS and his Ibanez 7-string. He'd retune from Db to Eb during the set to play A Place for My Head and Forgotten.

So Astat do you mean that they have played one song in one tuning and then retuned it for another song in the same show? That's what I'm wondering.

Yep! Only happens when switching between songs that are and aren't drop-tuned though, so it's just a matter of re-tuning one string.

Got another one for you, Astat. In the prechorus of Pushing Me Away there's a sound that sounds a good bit like a guitar with tremolo and phaser effects on it. Have you ruled this out as a guitar? Is it an electric drum sample or something? I'm hesitant to say it's guitar because in the unmastered version of HT, it has a different rhythm that sounds exceptionally un-tremolo-like.

Hey guys... I'm wondering this:

Which Season 3 Episode of the TV show Weeds had the LP Rendition of "Little Boxes"?

I know that the LP Rendition of the song was on LPU 8, but I'm trying to find a good quality video of the episode in which had the Intro with LP's version? (Not requesting it here, but I'm searching for it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeds_%28TV_series%29#Opening_music

All I know is that LP's version was used in Season 3, but I'm trying to figure out the Episode.

Anyone?

Edited by xLP0562x

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kOzsiGCes

I'm not sure if true, but That's what I heard

*Looks at LPU 8 artwork in Youtube video*

Yep, Little Boxes was on LPU 8, alright. Brought to you by the same folks behind such quality releases as "Erection," "Splitting the DNA," "LPU 2.5," and "Linkin Park's Greatest Hits," I'm sure.

Got another one for you, Astat. In the prechorus of Pushing Me Away there's a sound that sounds a good bit like a guitar with tremolo and phaser effects on it. Have you ruled this out as a guitar? Is it an electric drum sample or something? I'm hesitant to say it's guitar because in the unmastered version of HT, it has a different rhythm that sounds exceptionally un-tremolo-like.

Sounds almost like a really quick turntable panning effect to me.

There's probably a lot of synth-y stuff on studio recordings that was originally guitar at some point and went through a ton of effects and editing to get to the final form it's in on the albums. There are a few that I even know of for sure, like the synth hook on Crawling originally being guitar harmonics and the synth in Somewhere I Belong being a backwards/effected loop of Chester playing acoustic guitar. I tend not to include things like this in my tabs if they fall into two categories - they don't sound like guitar, and the band doesn't attempt to play them on guitar during live performances. I try to transcribe things like this sometimes (Wretches and Kings is a good example), but more often than not, I have no good way of knowing how a part was originally played, or if it's even guitar in the first place. There are plenty of things that are "suspect" to me...the muted-sounded thing in the pre-chorus of Crawling (it's in the "guitar" track on the Rock Band mutitracks), a bunch of samples in Guilty All the Same, some of the stuff layered in with the synths on New Divide...

Sounds almost like a really quick turntable panning effect to me.

There's probably a lot of synth-y stuff on studio recordings that was originally guitar at some point and went through a ton of effects and editing to get to the final form it's in on the albums. There are a few that I even know of for sure, like the synth hook on Crawling originally being guitar harmonics and the synth in Somewhere I Belong being a backwards/effected loop of Chester playing acoustic guitar. I tend not to include things like this in my tabs if they fall into two categories - they don't sound like guitar, and the band doesn't attempt to play them on guitar during live performances. I try to transcribe things like this sometimes (Wretches and Kings is a good example), but more often than not, I have no good way of knowing how a part was originally played, or if it's even guitar in the first place. There are plenty of things that are "suspect" to me...the muted-sounded thing in the pre-chorus of Crawling (it's in the "guitar" track on the Rock Band mutitracks), a bunch of samples in Guilty All the Same, some of the stuff layered in with the synths on New Divide...

Isn't that what I said to you xLP? I've definitely gotta dissect that song more.

LOATR sounds like reversed guitar harmonics to me possibly as well. I know there's a reversed piano in that synth loop, and playing it all backwards it sounds kind of like harmonics.

LP has a tendency to use a lot of reversing for their synths and other effects. Final Masquerade has a reversed piano in it. The harmonics in Crawling are very likely reversed, as I've heard, and the guitar "swells" in that song are just reversed guitar samples. I've got the suspicion that the main synth of Runaway was reversed, as it sounds much more synth-like when played backwards. SIB's main synth, as virtually everyone knows, and you mentioned, along with effects is a reversed guitar. There's a possibility that in the intro to Lying From You there is at least one element that is reversed. SOTD has a reversed keyboard loop. Reversed guitar chord in What I've Done. Reversing LP songs unlocks a lot of secrets.

Isn't that what I said to you xLP? I've definitely gotta dissect that song more.

LOATR sounds like reversed guitar harmonics to me possibly as well. I know there's a reversed piano in that synth loop, and playing it all backwards it sounds kind of like harmonics.

LP has a tendency to use a lot of reversing for their synths and other effects. Final Masquerade has a reversed piano in it. The harmonics in Crawling are very likely reversed, as I've heard, and the guitar "swells" in that song are just reversed guitar samples. I've got the suspicion that the main synth of Runaway was reversed, as it sounds much more synth-like when played backwards. SIB's main synth, as virtually everyone knows, and you mentioned, along with effects is a reversed guitar. There's a possibility that in the intro to Lying From You there is at least one element that is reversed. SOTD has a reversed keyboard loop. Reversed guitar chord in What I've Done. Reversing LP songs unlocks a lot of secrets.

I just realized that the beep beep from Forgotten is a reversed sound of a hospital machine, don't remember its name, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYI4CafK23Q#t=641:05

I just realized that the beep beep from Forgotten is a reversed sound of a hospital machine, don't remember its name, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYI4CafK23Q#t=641:05

Eh. Listening to the instrumental backwards, I highly doubt it. It's got too long of an attack when it's reversed. I personally think the beep is an effected harmonic from a guitar.

Did Lori Lee actually cover Numb? Or did some chick sing it and just say it was Amy's sister to get views?

Normally I would chalk it up to the latter, but I've seen the same version listed as either "Lori Lee" or "Amy Lee's Sister" numerous times, so I was curious. It doesn't sound that bad either. It would be interesting if it's true.

Edited by Justin

Did Lori Lee actually cover Numb? Or did some chick sing it and just say it was Amy's sister to get views?

Normally I would chalk it up to the latter, but I've seen the same version listed as either "Lori Lee" or "Amy Lee's Sister" numerous times, so I was curious. It doesn't sound that bad either. It would be interesting if it's true.

That version is by TheKen with vocals from his friend Joanna.