Quick question? Ask here!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone figured out what is said before the first verse of Victimized, and at the end of War?

The speech sample at the beginning of 'Victimized' was that of a counterfeit merchandise seller in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2011, which Mike had recorded on his phone.

Regarding 'Minutes To Midnight'...

''The band whittled down the number of songs to 17, then narrowed that number even further until they had 12 songs.''

Have we ever discovered what the rest of the songs actually were? Across The Line, Blackbirds and What We Don't Know, I would assume are probably some of them.

Has anyone figured out what is said before the first verse of Victimized, and at the end of War?

The speech sample at the beginning of 'Victimized' was that of a counterfeit merchandise seller in Jakarta, Indonesia in 2011, which Mike had recorded on his phone.

For me, in the end of War is said "He grabbed the ball. Home Run!" several times (a allusion to the interlude in the beggining of the song/end of 'The Summoning' (watch the ball, nice, run run run, run the ball!). Idk, maybe I'm wrong :P

''The band whittled down the number of songs to 17, then narrowed that number even further until they had 12 songs.''

Have we ever discovered what the rest of the songs actually were? Across The Line, Blackbirds and What We Don't Know, I would assume are probably some of them.

I think these are the 17 songs:

01. Wake

02. Given Up

03. Leave Out All The Rest

04. Bleed It Out

05. Shadow Of The Day

06. What I've Done

07. Hands Held High

08. No More Sorrow

09. Valentine's Day

10. In Between

11. In Pieces

12. The Little Things Give You Away

13. No Roads Left

14. Across The Line

15. Blackbirds

16. Not Alone (lyrics changed/re-recorded)

17. What We Don't Know

Rob said "We ended up recording 17 total. We put 10 of those, plus an intro, on the album."

"10 of those" is obviously wrong, but the "plus an intro" part makes me wonder if "Wake" is among these 17 or if they had a 18th song...

01. Wake

02. Given Up

04. Bleed It Out

05. Shadow Of The Day

06. What I've Done

07. Hands Held High

08. No More Sorrow

09. Valentine's Day

10. In Between

11. In Pieces

13. No Roads Left

14. Across The Line

15. Blackbirds

17. What We Don't Know

Rob said "We ended up recording 17 total. We put 10 of those, plus an intro, on the album."

"10 of those" is obviously wrong, but the "plus an intro" part makes me wonder if "Wake" is among these 17 or if they had a 18th song...

I think maybe No Roads Left was intended to be part of the album because it was released right away when MTM was first released, the same day actually, on iTunes. We had to wait to get the other stuff. So maybe the other song was Pretend To Be?

I swear you ask this like every 6 months.

No Roads Left, Across the Line, Blackbirds, What We Don't Know are confirmed as songs 13-16 (NRL/ATL confirmed directly by the band, Blackbirds confirmed via being the "sixth strings song" seen on the DVD, What We Don't Know confirmed because it was mixed by Neal Avron, meaning it made it to the very end of the process unlike numerous other MTM demos). The 17th song could theoretically be any number of things, original version of Not Alone, Ammosick, Debris...I think all of those are unlikely though since Ammosick/Debris sound noticeably "unfinished," and Not Alone didn't have finalized lyrics until it was reworked for the Haiti compilation later on. Same could be said for Pretend to Be, which wasn't finished until the following year. We'd be looking for something that would be a completely finished song like the other 4, so I've always believed that the 17th song is something completely unknown to us. The only other thing I can think of is maybe Pale or Announcement Service Public were in consideration as an alternate album intro/second instrumental piece in addition to Wake, but those seem pretty unlikely to me, particularly ASP since it was released on LPU6 way before the album was even done.

01. Wake

02. Given Up

04. Bleed It Out

05. Shadow Of The Day

06. What I've Done

07. Hands Held High

08. No More Sorrow

09. Valentine's Day

10. In Between

11. In Pieces

13. No Roads Left

14. Across The Line

15. Blackbirds

17. What We Don't Know

I would think Wake would be counted as among the 17 since it was a seed that was worked on throughout the process just like everything else, not something they just tacked on after the rest of the album was done like they did with Foreword. Wake was always intended to be an intro/instrumental piece though, as evidenced by it being called "WAKE Album Intro Idea" as a seed. Rob was probably just setting it apart from the other tracks on the album as not being a "full" song.

The 17th song could theoretically be any number of things, original version of Not Alone, Ammosick, Debris...I think all of those are unlikely though since Ammosick/Debris sound noticeably "unfinished," and Not Alone didn't have finalized lyrics until it was reworked for the Haiti compilation later on. Same could be said for Pretend to Be, which wasn't finished until the following year. We'd be looking for something that would be a completely finished song like the other 4, so I've always believed that the 17th song is something completely unknown to us.

Brad actually said "What We Don't Know" was never finished.

That was the song that we started during the Minutes To Midnight writing period, and we kind of left it as it is, and then never really finished it. To me I just love the feel of it and even in its current form I like it. I always thought it had a lot of potential to be a great song.

"Across The Line" is called a "demo" in the LPU9 tracklist. I guess the band doesn't think of it as a finished track either.

About "Not Alone", Brad said "we had it on a semi-finished form" and Mike said "we just never used it because we never thought it was done". I think it's the same case of "Across The Line" and "What We Don't Know".

The lyrics were re-written before it was released, but it doesn't mean it didn't have "finalized lyrics", the band just didn't like what they had and decided to re-write them.

We had a demo [for 'Not Alone'] — the music was laid out, we had done the song a little while ago ... we just never used it because we never thought it was done. [After the tragedy in Haiti], we listened to the demo again, essentially scrapped all the words, rewrote the words ... when you've got that idea and emotional charge in you and you put that in the lyrics, for me it does make better lyrics.

There's an authenticity and a passion that you can hear in Chester's voice on this track; we literally wrote [the new lyrics] via e-mail, before he had flown out from Arizona to L.A. [to record them]

This was a track that we originally worked on with Rick Rubin during the Minutes To Midnight sessions, and one of our favorites, and it unfortunately didn't make it on the album, but fortunately we had it on a semi-finished form and Mike and Chester really were burning midnight oil. They rewrote the lyrics to kind of express their emotions about what happened to Haiti and remixed the song, got it ready for this compilation in about 24 hours and I think it's actually better... I'm actually sure it's better than the early version. We're really really proud of it.

Edit:

I'm not saying WWDK and ATL aren't among the "17 songs", I'm explaining why I think "Not Alone" was one of the 17.

Edited by lpliveusername

For me, in the end of War is said "He grabbed the ball. Home Run!" several times (a allusion to the interlude in the beggining of the song/end of 'The Summoning' (watch the ball, nice, run run run, run the ball!). Idk, maybe I'm wrong :P

I slowed down the end of War. Fairly certain it says "It's light outside" then something about I'm hungry or hunting.

EDIT: I think you are right Astat. ''No Roads Left'' and ''Across The Line'' are definitely two of them. The other two are definitely ''Blackbirds'' and ''What We Don't Know'', because you can definitely hear ''Blackbirds'' on the Making Of MTM DVD. I also didn't know that Neal Avron mixed ''What We Don't Know'', I would say that definitely confirms that it is one of the songs. I would say the 17th song is unknown at this point as well.

I don't think it is ''Debris'', ''Pretend To Be'', ''Not Alone'' or ''Ammosick'' because even though those all have complete vocals except for ''Debris'', they were all worked on years after the process for Minutes To Midnight was over.

Edited by Geki

How many actual soundtrack CD's has LP appeared on? I know they were on Little Nicky, Valentine, Dracula 2000, etc but has there ever been a full list?

2000 - ECW Extreme Music Volume 2: Anarchy Rocks (OSC)
2000 - Little Nicky (POA)
2000 - Dracula 2000 (OSC)
2001 - Valentine (PMA)
2003 - The Matrix Reloaded: The Album (Session)
2007 - Transformers: The Album (WID)
2008 - Twilight: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (LOATR)
2009 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - The Album (New Divide)
2011 - Transformers: Dark of the Moon - The Album (Iridescent "energy up")
2012 - Underworld: Awakening (Blackout Remix)

I'd only buy the soundtracks that have exclusive tracks, buying all the others just for the album versions is a waste of money and the rest of the CD's probably sucks anyway, lots of crappy movies.

There's also the Crank score(?) with the nasal spray skit with Chester, it's not music of course.

Brad actually said "What We Don't Know" was never finished.

"Across The Line" is called a "demo" in the LPU9 tracklist. I guess the band doesn't think of it as a finished track either.

About "Not Alone", Brad said "we had it on a semi-finished form" and Mike said "we just never used it because we never thought it was done". I think it's the same case of "Across The Line" and "What We Don't Know".

The lyrics were re-written before it was released, but it doesn't mean it didn't have "finalized lyrics", the band just didn't like what they had and decided to re-write them.

Edit:

I'm not saying WWDK and ATL aren't among the "17 songs", I'm explaining why I think "Not Alone" was one of the 17.

It's certainly possible that Not Alone was one of the 17, but I'm sure the band had plenty of other seeds from the Minutes to Midnight era that could be considered "semi-finished" too. Without the previous incarnation of Not Alone available to listen to, we don't really know exactly how "finished" it was. So it could be the 17th song, but there isn't really anything that makes it more likely to be the 17th song than any other seed that was worked on during the MTM period. We simply don't know enough about the song to be sure.

It's certainly possible that Not Alone was one of the 17, but I'm sure the band had plenty of other seeds from the Minutes to Midnight era that could be considered "semi-finished" too. Without the previous incarnation of Not Alone available to listen to, we don't really know exactly how "finished" it was. So it could be the 17th song, but there isn't really anything that makes it more likely to be the 17th song than any other seed that was worked on during the MTM period. We simply don't know enough about the song to be sure.

I agree. Rob also said 30 songs got close to being finished.