Quick question? Ask here!

It's only audible on the acapella, I not that sure it's Mike, but it sounds so.

I think Mike's voice appears in One Step Closer too, in "Takes one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break", as a background voice, a lower clean voice than the rest of the background voices. I don't know if it counts as singing but Mike whispers in Crawling, in verses.

The chorus on OSC is all Chester on the studio version. I was pointing that out (along with Breaking the Habit) as an example of an "all-Chester song" back in 2007 when the entire LP community was losing their shit over how Mike didn't have a lot of vocals on Minutes to Midnight and therefore must be quitting the band. :lol:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sung range: G♯2-G5 Total range: C2-C♯7 This website is a pretty good source for finding out ranges for different singers.

Thanks man, just had a look around. Still, not quite sure the difference between sung range, and total range. At first I thought total range maybe meant spoken, but nobody speaks over 5 octaves lol.

but nobody speaks over 5 octaves lol.

I beg to differ, pubescents speak in like 50 different octaves. I know this one fucker whose voice cracks so sharply he splits ear drums. Even the strongest vocalists stare in awe of his 50-octave crack' then promptly curse, "Motherfucker!" As their ears bleed.

Never come to a New Jersey middle school. Or to New Jersey for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've already mentioned this on a lot of posts but I don't remember if I already asked this:

I remember the band said they finished 17 songs for Minutes To Midnight. The standard edition of the album had 12 tracks, we got No Roads Left as an iTunes pre-order bonus track, Across The Line was released on LPU 9.0, Blackbirds was released on 8-Bit Rebellion!, and we got What We Don't Know on LPU X.

So we have 16 out of the 17 tracks:

01. Wake

02. Given Up

03. Leave Out All The Rest

04. Bleed It Out

05. Shadow Of The Day

06. What I've Done

07. Hands Held High

08. No More Sorrow

09. Valentine's Day

10. In Between

11. In Pieces

12. The Little Things Give You Away

13. No Roads Left

14. Across The Line

15. Blackbirds

16. What We Don't Know

My question is: what is the 17th track? Is it possible that we already have it?

Grecian is shown on the Minutes To Midnight DVD but it was already confirmed that the song was never finished, so we know it isn't the missing song.

Qwerty was recorded during the Minutes To Midnight sessions but we know the band never intended to release it on the album.

I think we can say the same thing about Announcement Service Public because it was released (on LPU 6.0) before the album came out.

My question is: what is the 17th track? Is it possible that we already have it?

Pretend To Be and Not Alone are from the MTM sessions, not sure if they were actually done at the time of MTM release (and reworked later).

We had a demo [for 'Not Alone'] — the music was laid out, we had done the song a little while ago ... we just never used it because we never thought it was done. [After the tragedy in Haiti], we listened to the demo again, essentially scrapped all the words, rewrote the words ... when you've got that idea and emotional charge in you and you put that in the lyrics, for me it does make better lyrics.

There's an authenticity and a passion that you can hear in Chester's voice on this track; we literally wrote [the new lyrics] via e-mail, before he had flown out from Arizona to L.A. [to record them]

I also thought about Not Alone. Mike is talking like the song was already done and they only changed the lyrics. But he said "we had done the song a little while ago". This was in 2010. So maybe Not Alone was made in 2009 and finished in 2010?

Pretend To Be sounds a lot like No Roads Left. I'm sure it was started during the MTM sessions, but it's labeled as "Unreleased Demo 2008", meaning it was only finished in 2008. Maybe they wrote the wrong year (like what they did with Blue, Slip and So Far Away)?

Pretend to Be was written after MTM, as far as I know. Mike was writing some stuff for Linkin Park's fourth album, which he later abandoned as he felt it was too similar to Minutes to Midnight.

Not Alone - I believe it was started during the MTM sessions. Whether it was a finished song and they just changed the lyrics or it was a rough demo, we could only guess.

The only TRUE b-sides we have for MTM are Across The Line, What We Don't Know and Blackbirds. They were finished and the only ones to have the ''Unreleased 2007'' tag on them + Blackbirds was confirmed to be from MTM and they even showed a clip of it on the Making Of MTM that sounded the same as the version we got. All the other demos we got from MTM on LPU CDs and stuff are just demos that never were completed from the MTM writing period.

As far as stuff like Pretend To Be and Not Alone go, they were originally demos from the MTM era that the band later reworked and used them for their releases. The band does that a lot. Debris is also one of those songs, it was written during the MTM era according to LPU12, but we knew it was on the Meeting of A Thousand Suns DVD, so they obviously worked on it during that time as well.

We may never get the ''17th song'' for the original 17 songs that made the cut. We have 16 as of right now... Maybe it was a song that was later reworked or appeared on ATS or LT? I also think there was this demo constantly on the demo boards back in 2006/2007 that was called ''Ammosick'' or ''Amnesick'' something like that, maybe that was it, and we just never got the demo. I wish there was a way to ask Mike about the whole 17 MTM original track list or whatever. We basically have it solved except for 1 song!!!

Edited by Geki

Qwerty was recorded during the Minutes To Midnight sessions but we know the band never intended to release it on the album.

I think we can say the same thing about Announcement Service Public because it was released (on LPU 6.0) before the album came out.

QWERTY actually was "written for the album," according to Mike, but obviously didn't stay in consideration for very long since it ended up on LPU 6.

Pretend To Be and Not Alone are from the MTM sessions, not sure if they were actually done at the time of MTM release (and reworked later).

I also thought about Not Alone. Mike is talking like the song was already done and they only changed the lyrics. But he said "we had done the song a little while ago". This was in 2010. So maybe Not Alone was made in 2009 and finished in 2010?

Pretend To Be sounds a lot like No Roads Left. I'm sure it was started during the MTM sessions, but it's labeled as "Unreleased Demo 2008", meaning it was only finished in 2008. Maybe they wrote the wrong year (like what they did with Blue, Slip and So Far Away)?

Pretend to Be was written after MTM, as far as I know. Mike was writing some stuff for Linkin Park's fourth album, which he later abandoned as he felt it was too similar to Minutes to Midnight.

Not Alone - I believe it was started during the MTM sessions. Whether it was a finished song and they just changed the lyrics or it was a rough demo, we could only guess.

Both Pretend to Be and Not Alone are confirmed to have been "started" during the MTM sessions and finished later. In the case of Not Alone, it originally had different lyrics that were scrapped for the ones written after the Haiti earthquake. However, it's not known if those original lyrics were in place at the time of MTM's release, they could have revised it more than once after the album came out.

The only other potential b-side that I can think of that we may already have would be Pale, they could have potentially considered including that on the album (possibly in place of Wake). I find it kind of unlikely though, as it's labeled as a 2006 demo, which would seem to put it more in the realm of QWERTY and Announcement Service Public, as a song that was dropped from consideration earlier in the process.

My personal theory is that the 17th song is "Ammosick," as we know that one got pretty far in the process, and was subsequently revisited during the A Thousand Suns sessions. It could even BE a song on A Thousand Suns, as we don't have working titles for a few tracks. Burning in the Skies (no, the working title was not "The Fog"), Wretches and Kings, and The Catalyst (no, the working title was not "Violent Lullaby") all fit that criteria, although we know The Catalyst was written later, and I believe Wretches was too due to the presence of the Electro-Harmonix HOG, which was not in LP's arsenal during the MTM sessions. I also always thought BITS sounded like the most "MTM-like" track on ATS as well...so yeah, that's my theory. I have nothing to back it up.

I agree with you 100% Astat, BITS did sound like it could have been a MTM track. Maybe that really is Ammosick. If I get a meet and greet this summer, I will ask Mike about Ammosick, maybe we can finally clear it all up with the whole 17 song thing.

If we ever get a chance to interview Mike, this would be a great question. If someone says yo there were 17 full songs, 12 on the album + NRL, WWDK, ATL, Blackbirds. What was the last one? Was it Ammosick? Then bam he will know what you mean and explain. A M&G would be a great chance to ask this too.

If we ever get a chance to interview Mike, this would be a great question. If someone says yo there were 17 full songs, 12 on the album + NRL, WWDK, ATL, Blackbirds. What was the last one? Was it Ammosick? Then bam he will know what you mean and explain. A M&G would be a great chance to ask this too.

I'm guaranteed one in Camden, maybe I can ask.