Quick question? Ask here!

I think that's a great example, you don't understand the lyrics so it just sounds like an instrument to you, the melody from the voice and the lyrics.

English lyrics for me, unless I actually pay attention to the words it's just a melody for me too.

It never made much sense to me to actually translate lyrics, that always sounds so stupid, just

like poems, unless you change it a lot.

I always wondered how that feels if a HUGE part of the music in the world is in YOUR language and you understand it all the time but might be also funny if foreign people sing in english. I guess it makes you notice how cheesy most of the music really is.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that's a great example, you don't understand the lyrics so it just sounds like an instrument to you, the melody from the voice and the lyrics.

English lyrics for me, unless I actually pay attention to the words it's just a melody for me too.

It never made much sense to me to actually translate lyrics, that always sounds so stupid, just like poems, unless you change it a lot.

exactly. a foreign song has to connect with you on a purely non-verbal way because it simply won't correlate. not that I think this is always limiting, I think it just makes your appreciation totally fresh and unique to you, which is a wonderful way to listen to something.

there is no sense in translating songs from one language to another because each and every word will always lose the meaning that would be really obvious to the listener of the original.

"breaking the habit" could end up as... i dunno... "stopping the repetition" which is verbally correct, but totally loses all of the subtle idiomatic meaning of the words. you could never get a final/full translation because of all the different layers to language - Rammstein's "Du Hast" for example, has the "have"/"hate" debate over the use of the word "hast", which is simply lost in English because we don't have that little twist in our pronunciation.

Well that can't be right, given the fact that the majority of the songs on HT were written before Chester even joined the band.

Not really though. LOL. What, Rhinestone? You don't think Chester worked on the songs with them when he joined the band in 1998? Wtf?

It never made much sense to me to actually translate lyrics, that always sounds so stupid, just

like poems, unless you change it a lot.

That's exactly how I listen to music - not paying attention to the lyrics most of the times, but recently I started noticing, that sometimes I do pay attention to lyrics in songs, that I heard hundred of times, and I never even thought what they were about...

Good example of popular song that probably most people do not understand is PSY's Gangnam Style. :)

I don't bother myself with searching a translation for the lyrics, as it's not interesting for me. I just like the song for how it sounds.

someone told me that chester was in the Xzibit music video?!is that right?!

as far as i know this is the only other relation except the live appearance:

Xzibit - Symphony In X-Major (Directed By Mr. Hahn)

- Is it true that "Esaul" was the name of a friend of the band who was on drugs?

- Is it true that "SuperXero" was the name of a pub the band used to go?

- Is it true that Brad Delson recorded guitars for "It's Goin' Down" but was not credited?

Edited by lpliveusername

- Is it true that "Esaul" was the name of a friend of the band who was on drugs?

- Is it true that "SuperXero" was the name of a pub the band used to go?

- Is it true that Brad Delson recorded guitars for "It's Goin' Down" but was not credited?

- It's the name of a friend of the band. The "on drugs" part is probably BS.

- Doubtful.

- No. Brad's phrasing on the main It's Goin' Down riff when LP plays it live is totally different from how it appears on the studio version. I've always assumed Mike did the guitars (part of the main guitar riff is actually sampled from Crawling as well).

- It's the name of a friend of the band. The "on drugs" part is probably BS.

- Doubtful.

- No. Brad's phrasing on the main It's Goin' Down riff when LP plays it live is totally different from how it appears on the studio version. I've always assumed Mike did the guitars (part of the main guitar riff is actually sampled from Crawling as well).

I thought the guy from Static-X did the guitar on It's Goin' Down? That's what it says in the credits for the song.

Could you please explain the Crawling & IGD relation i just want to know more about that

thx

- 0:26

- 0:08 (and recurring throughout the song)

It's Goin' Down samples 4 other songs in total - Crawling, Dedicated, Step Up, and Year 2000 by Xzibit.

I thought the guy from Static-X did the guitar on It's Goin' Down? That's what it says in the credits for the song.

I have both the It's Goin' Down CD single and the Built From Scratch album and there's no mention in the liner notes of either one about the song featuring anyone other than Mike and Joe.

Edited by Astat

This one might be a little difficult.

I remember seeing a video years ago, (for some reason I thought I saw it on the Frat Party DVD) but theres a clip where LP were at a restaurant or a bar or something and the cover band that were actually playing started playing Points of Authority (I think). You see the guys rocking out to it.

Does anyone know the clip Im talking about and/or where I can find it?

This one might be a little difficult.

I remember seeing a video years ago, (for some reason I thought I saw it on the Frat Party DVD) but theres a clip where LP were at a restaurant or a bar or something and the cover band that were actually playing started playing Points of Authority (I think). You see the guys rocking out to it.

Does anyone know the clip Im talking about and/or where I can find it?

Live In Texas DVD Special at 13:43

Edited by lpplus

Live In Texas DVD Special at 13:43

I found it just after I posted this. Is the MTV special (which is what I found on YouTube) any different to the DVD version. I didn't know the DVD had the special on it.

I found it just after I posted this. Is the MTV special (which is what I found on YouTube) any different to the DVD version. I didn't know the DVD had the special on it.

I found this video with this name.