It Leaked (ATS/LT/The Hunting Party)

Chesterchaz

1. Kool atmo track....reminds me of NIN a lot. Could have been an intro to "Every Day Is Exactly the Same"

2.Should have been part of the first track....good to hear the emotional quote in there...the music is actually one of the best on the album.

3.This is where i was like "is this a remix/rehash of 'new divide'?"...towards the end it certainly sounded like it. First dissappointment.

4.Good lead up into next track.

5.Made me smile after hearing the intro from the LPTV intro, all i could think of was brad and mike in the studio bobbing their heads up and down. Lyrics seem to reflect the possible hating towards this record before they even knew about it. One of the best tracks on the album.

6.The tune is "Hey joe" by Jimi Hendrix.......and it sounds good at the begining, but then it changes to the keyboard on it's own and i started hating it.

7.Tune from catalyst......so this is a catalyst hint before it hits.....much like "opening" was on reanimation.

8.Reminds me of Jack Johnson......surf track. Very chilled out, another one i kind of like.

9.Love the drums in the intro, this song is actually my favourite. As many people have pointed out it's like a snes song. with a kool melody sung over the top.

10.I still don't quite undertsnad the quote (i must be stupid)....another good song in my opinion it just needed something more at the end. It needed to go crazy.

11.When listening to this i imagined in my head a nuclear bomb going off (as the quote starts to disort more and more)...good interlude.

12.Irredescent.....Marching On by Onerepublic.....it certainly sounds like it.

13.as i said before, reminds me of the intro from Pendulum's tour in 2007/2008.

14.very dancy, don't like it. second half is okay...although they seem to be draining the 4 chord piano thing tho.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1-the requiem&-the_radiance&-burning_in_the_skies 10\10

2-Empty Space&When They Come For Me 9\10 (ana she said there was riff guitar where is it)

3Robot Boy 2\10 worst song ever

4-Waiting for the End 6.5\10

5-Blackout 10\10

6-Wretches and Kings10\10

7-Wisdom, Justice, and Love 7\10

8-Iridescent 9\10

9-Fallout 6\10

10-The Catalyst 7\10

11-The Messenger 10\10

Here's my review, all 1,623 words of it. I have to say, I was massively skeptical about this album.

But LP have pulled it out of the bag, pushed the boundaries, and have produced energising, dynamic, fresh, inspiring music.

Please do read and comment!

Review:

The Requiem:

Don’t know what to make of this track. Seems like a reasonable beat, but the electronica voice just doesn’t fit in and ruins the song, doesn’t add any effect to the song, but just disrupts the nice background beat – ending is good, however. 4/10

The Radiance:

A heavy, intense track, which, although just filled with a speech, is effective and resounding. A much better opening than the Requiem, with the heartbeat a good addition. 8/10

Burning in the Skies:

A good, heavy start fades into mellow guitar and a nice beat, with Mike’s reasonable vocals. When the chorus arrives, Chester’s vocals are strong, but the backing instruments seem unenthusiastic, and I cannot imagine this song live working. Vocals are effective and satisfactory, but nothing amazing. However, the guitar picks up the song, and I realise why the song may work live, the drums are heavy, the lyrics are deep, and although intrusive, Mike’s vocals aren’t overly used. A good track. 8/10

Empty Spaces:

A distinct jungle track, where gunfire, megaphone and explosions become apparent, perhaps a link to ‘Nam. Other than that, nothing of a track, so no mark.

When They Come For Me:

A nice heavy guitar, distorted, good beat, bongo drums or something, and the electronica is working well. Such an awesome beat, something really heavy that WILL work live – Mike’s rapping is as usual, ace. The backing instruments remind me of Meteora, and even a mention of POA. The main chorus, although chanted/sung, seems to fit with the song’s style, and live, could be a treat, as it is powerful, melodic and appropriate. Chester’s vocals are a relief, perhaps, to the heavy beat, as it eases into his singing – yet, as the instruments build up around his strong voice, Mike returns, and Chester and Mike, as they so magically are able to somehow do, combine to form such a great ending that this may be already my favourite track of the album. 9.5/10

Robot Boy:

Piano interlude reminds me of ETR from Meteora, and the soothing backing vocals are interesting. A combination of Mike and Chester again is melodic, but lacks depth, somewhat, and the tempo appears a little slow to enthral. Rather likened to peaceful chanting, the verse and chorus seem dull. A distinct lack of variation in lyrics/tempo seems to be a detriment to the song, but Chester’s shouts and cries in the background add depth and clarity to the track, and somewhat embody a further element of the song that Mike cannot capture. 5/10

Jornada Del Muerto:

A creaking, chanting and constant beat is accompanied by odd sounding, dragging vocals, which are unclear, but then joined by electronica synth, which takes over from the rest of the track and makes it a little more clear and driven than I expected. A mediocre filler track, but better than others. 6/10

Waiting for the End:

A good start, some decent guitar and a funny background drumming? Mike’s rapping is strangely melodic, and oddly doesn’t seem to fit him. Chester’s vocals, strangely, do not fit, either. He seems to sing a little without passion, and the song seems to lack direction. However, he moves on to some energetic, meaningful lyrics, before returning to lyrics which I would associate with perhaps a television show. Yet, again, Chester returns to more meaningful, passionate lyrics, and Mike rejoins, and his rapping is a little more normal, but sounds Jamaican, which is strange. Live, this could be a decent song, but in studio format, it seems a little too austere for my taste. Chester’s vocals combined with Mike’s singing towards the end works well, and the song finally seems to slot into place like pieces on a jigsaw puzzle. Without the ending harmony, this song sounds average. 7.5/10

Blackout:

A good initial beat, which sounds promising. The starting guitar is brooding and heavy, which is reassuring. However, the almost Super Mario synth does not fit whatsoever into the guitar and background beat. However, as it fades, Chester’s almost screamed rapping is a relief, and as it leads into his aggressive screaming, we’re reminded of the classic Chester. The song reverts to the initial beat, and Chester isn’t a half-bad rapper. His screaming is fluent and well accompanied by the instruments, but Super Mario returns for some reason. Mr Hahn works some distorted guitar and scratch magic to take the song to a better, higher, supreme level with distorted chorus, shouts and screaming from Chester, which works remarkably well. Mike appears with some soft vocals, which are not unwelcome, but surprising. Although, for once, they work, and aren’t half bad. The beat works well with his deeper voice, and when Chester returns to sing with Mike, it works pleasantly well. As the instruments cut out and they are left together, then Chester alone, the tracks fades into a robotic Chester and out, which works remarkably well. A decent track. 8.5/10

Wretches and Kings:

A powerful, American, throaty speech, although an odd way to start a track is surprisingly good for setting the mood. The distorted, twitchy, industrial beat and guitar works excellently, and Mike returns with his trademark rapping, with supreme lyrics and a strong backing beat. The guitar works almost too well, and Chester’s vocals take you by surprise in the chorus, extremely powerful, and a certain treat live. The drums cause excitement, and the looped industrial beat is perfect with Mike’s rapping. The guitar over the bridge, with shouts of HEY, works tremendously. Chester’s powerful, angry chorus lets him pour meaning into the track. Mike’s crowd-pleasing chants (no doubt amazing live) will be sure to work with any crowd, and as the instrumental fades with the angry speech that was also at the start of the track, it works supremely, and some Mr Hahn scratching compliments his freestyle heavy beat before scratching out. A definite track to remember. 9/10

Wisdom, Justice, and Love:

A melancholy piano follows a depressing-sounding speech, accompanying it as if at a funeral. Touching as it, the words of the speech, powerful, rehearsed, and historical, hit home as the piano appears to emphasise them. Some distortion on the lyrics as it gets further into the speech, and a build-up in the background fades as the voice turns completely robotic, almost frightening, as we are reminded of the title. A fairly good track for one with no real beat or vocals. 8/10

Iridescent:

Ethereal, slow, piano, a sombre, slow tune. Mike’s slow, meaningful vocals, perhaps work to an extent. The slow occasional piano chord compliment Mike’s vocals, and as they become more frequent, Chester’s vocals are strong and substantial. As the chorus ends, a beat appears in the song, and a distant guitar also, with Mike retaking the vocals. Chester’s powerful chorus completes Mike’s slower, deeper vocals, and an almost Sum-41 guitar is introduced, with a nice, bassy, beat. Then, almost a choral chant begins, with rich vocal and lyrical content. A handful of powerful notes work in synergy (Mike and Chester), and Chester’s chorus, strong and backed up a strong beat, is energetic and almost touching, before it fades into electronic piano, soft and slow, before fading out. A fairly good track, which definitely gets better as it progresses. 8/10

Fallout:

A gradual opening, almost like the SOTD/WID bridge, before going into mechanical, synthy distant vocals, unclear as to their content. They become clearer as the song progresses, until Mike’s vocals are clearly heard, before fading out again. 6/10

The Catalyst:

DJ Hahn’s scratching is simple but complex at the same time, energetic and tense. Mike’s techno vocals come into play, with questionable effect, but Chester’s strong vocals play compliment well to Mike’s fake counterparts. The techno bridge and beat work well, with Hahn also present in the background – Chester’s vocals continue, with dominant, effortless lyrics. They culminate in passionate, strong, throaty vocals, until a techno bridge takes over and takes control of the song, working well with the beat of the song. Chester’s vocals return for a short period, before drifting out. The instruments become stripped back and Mike begin a slow, melodic vocal, gradually raising in strength and backing instruments until Chester enters the fray, using his massive voice to blast out perfect notes, working greatly in harmony with Mike’s weaker, deeper vocals. Chester sings the last chorus, note perfect, before the techno and piano play him out. A real worthy single. 9/10

The Messenger:

Acoustic guitar opens, slow and melodic, before Chester’s vocals enter, not particularly meaningful, until he begins to strain and pour in passion to the vocals, with even the occasional throaty scream, with the acoustic guitar, stripped back, working well with Chester’s vocals on their own, and as piano joins in the bridge, the song continues well, powerful and deep in vocal context and content. Chester continues with powerful, effortless vocals, mixed in with passionate, scratchy vocals, before he really gives in to emotion, and produces wonderful notes that live will mesmerise, before fading out entirely. A fitting end to what to me is a new, fresh, dynamic album with flavours of the past. 9/10

Overall, A Thousand Suns is an album worth remembering. Although perhaps with more Mike Shinoda than I would have preferred, especially in the vocal department, every track brings something new, exciting and mesmerising. A deep album, packed with layers of meaning, Chester’s strong vocals go hand in hand with Mike’s vocals and trademark rapping, producing substantial, turbulent, energising music. Although I thought I may never say this, A Thousand Suns really has excited me in its variation, much more so than Minutes to Midnight. To say the very least, A Thousand Suns has pushed the boundaries of Linkin Park to the extreme.

And it’s worked.

Just listened to it 3rd or 4th time..

I'm confused.. I definitely think it's their worst rock album and their best Pop album(well.. they don't have any other xD).. Some songs are catchy, others are just plain weird(not in a good way) and others didn't even caught my attention..

What I didn't like was that there was nothing innovative at this album.. There were songs that any other band in the world could have written and others(like Blackout) that are one of a kind, but not good..

I also felt like I was listening to the same song over and over..

Worst song: Robot Boy

I think the best song is Jornada Del Muerto and that is an interlude..

Others that I liked: Wretches and King, When They Come For Me

6/10 (Maybe it a little too early to make a judgment but I don't think there's anything more I can absorb from this album, even though I've listened it only 4 times)

Edited by jakolp

I just listened to the whole album and...I absolutely LOVE IT. It blows away MTM completely. I love every single song, even all the interludes and everything. Burning In The Skies is such a deep song, and the melody is amazing. When They Come For Me's beat is fucking nasty and the lyrics are amazing, Mike mentioning 'forfeit the game' was awesome. Robot Boy is really cool and I like how unique it is. Waiting For The End is really deep and awesome too. Blackout is fucking amazing, I love it. Wretches And Kings is awesome, great vocals. Iridescent is really sad and deep and it may be one of my favorite LP songs ever. The Messenger is just fucking jaw dropping incredible. It's such a simple song, yet SO powerful and it almost made me cry. I love ATS and I am extremely proud to be an LP fan right now. Linkin Park, you never fail to amaze me...

After having listened to the whole thing 3 times, I can now say: this album kicks major-ass! Not a rock or metal, but a music masterpiece. The band was right when they were saying ATS is a journey, because it really is. Atmospheric stuff. Burning in the skies, Waiting For The End, Iridescent all have killer melodies. When They Come For Me, Blackout, and Wretches And Kings are the heaviest tracks on the record, but in a weird way. Chester vocal performance on The Messenger is one of the strongest he has ever made

I'd love to say ATS is the best LP record to date, but it's hard to compare it to their precedent work. Hybrid Theory also was an epic album, but in its own genre. The level of energy and power it contained is as great as the level of creativity and musicianship put into ATS.

Now, despite the fact ATS has an enorm potential, LP will have to accept they will loose a lot of fans with it. Majority of the 10-11-12-13 year fanbase will hate it for being "Commercial soft shitty music". Majority of the metalheads who still liked LP will move on to something else. And even some of the so-called "hardcore fans" won't like this new record, because, yes, it doesn't sound like LP.

A Thousand Suns - My Opinion

1 - The Requiem (5/10)

Solid start but would have been better if Mike just used his normal voice without messing with it. Get the impression its meant to come off as a child singing

2 – The Radiance (3/10)

Weird and poor. Should have just been made as one track with The Requiem

3 – Burning in the Skies (8/10)

Single Alert!!! Solid enough song. Singalongable! Lyrically, very simplistic, like The Catalyst

4 – Empty Spaces (1/10)

This is pointless to me

5 – When They Come for me (7/10)

Beginning is just weird. Mike is really solid here though. Not sure about the group singing parts i.e. the ahhhhhss. Sort of turns it into a Bollywood tune! Wish Chester was more present on this one

6 – Robot Boy (5/10)

Sounds like boyband stuff or something Enya could release. Really disappointed by this one. Whole song sounds like it could have been used as backing vocals to another song

7 – Jornada Del Muerto (5/10)

Just don’t really like it and not sure why it supposed to mesh with the rest of the album

8 – Waiting for the End (9/10)

One of my favourites and clear to see why its been flagged as a single release. Chester is amazing in this and Mike’s rap adds, rather than takes away from the feel of the song

9 – Blackout (8/10)

Had high hopes for this one based on the LPTV episode. I’m a little bit let down but only a little. Love the start and Chester is amazing but don’t like the remix part in the middle of the song but I get how its meant to transition the song to the latter part.

10 – Wretches and Kings (9/10)

Really love this one and the speech really flows with the overall song. Love the heavy beat. Could be a single

11 – Wisdom, Justice and Love (6/10)

Good but distortion ruins it for me

12 – Iridescent (8/10)

Single Alert!!! Really nice and relaxing song. SOTD/LOATR for ATS

13 – Fallout (3/10)

Another pointless interlude. Really hate this

14 – The Catalyst (9/10)

Loved this since I first heard it. Its lyrically simple but it works

15 – The Messenger (8/10)

Beautiful but doesn’t sound like it goes with the rest of the album

Overall, I give ATS 7/10. I had really high hopes for this album but I feel let down. I’m by no means a bring back HT/Meteora fanatic but I do love those albums. MTM had more variety IMO than ATS.

The interludes are pointless and terrible to me. Wake and Session look down on these interludes and laugh!

I love both soft and heavy LP but the latter is very much absent on ATS. I hope that heavy LP songs don’t make way too much for the softer stuff in the live show.

I understand LP’s need & want to branch out from their previous sound but ATS has been a big disappointment for me. There is hope that some of these songs will sound better live which I am really intrigued to see.

I applaud and encourage LP for branching out into new territory but I hope the next album (if there is one), will be much better than this.

THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY AND I AM ENTITLED TO IT. I have also pre-ordered the deluxe version of ATS too which I will not be cancelling regardless of my feelings on ATS

im not that excited about ATS, some good songs but there are no songs that made go: "WOW!!".

Lets just say i would add 3-4 songs at most to my playlist.

After MTM i really hoped they would find a unique sound and although they did try, Mikes description of this 'out there totally different' album does not seem so unique too me. And they promise a "never seen before" life experience, well since it's mostly pop i dont see live live shows being very energetic.

I think lp soft is lp at their best like in My December and She Couldn't. Both those songs are darkish, has some electronic sounds, mr hahn and MD has some weird sampling noises. They both are beyond awesome. Now i can't exactly tell whats so different between the soft songs now and then but the old ones has a feel to them IMO that make them awesome and unique while the ones on ATS seem so average and poppy. I like the dance feel of BITS and the synth of RB just like i like a lot of element of the songs but i cant find myself liking them as a whole.

Maybe they will grow on me. For me it's a 6-7/10