The Catalyst Premieres

Nameless

I disagree. I think people will at first be shocked at this sound but then again think of it as a trend. Exaggerated Autotune was weird as hell when tPain first started doing it, but now it's like a industry standard. Maybe LP will push in a new wave of rock, which always happens. Rock's sound popularity always changes. from grunge to ska to punk to new metal to coldplay to fall out boy to w/e it is now. lol so don't think of it as Linkin Park losing fans, look at it as them possibly setting a new trend in rock music.

I know maybe yes, maybe not... in my opinion LP is one of the best artists/bands that ever heard in my life, and thats why i love the Band, but i mean im in 6 forums, form uruguay, argentina, lplive, facebook and much more and the 70% of the comments have a high value of violence against the band... that is really weird...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, new Linkin Park single! Fucking sweet! I've been following the hype for this song for the past month. "The Catalyst" has been built up so much, I've got to hear it just once! LP have finally returned!

*listens to song once*

Uh...

*listens to song again*

...Huh.

*listens to song a few more times*

Two years in the studio and that's what they came up with? Let me just say it, "The Catalyst" is a mediocre song. Not bad, mind you. However, I can't fathom why Linkin Park thought this song should have been the lead single. The song certainly doesn't deserve the massive buzz the band's generated.

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm not that big a fan of the song. My major gripe with it is the singing and right off the bat, that tells me that something is wrong. The vocals are usually my favorite part of any LP song, mainly because usually they're consistently better than the actual music, which hardly ever sounds inspired. But with "The Catalyst", it's kinda flipped. Why are the lyrics so repetitive? Yeah, I heard the interview, too. I heard how Chester claims it's supposed to be like an anthem, but there's a problem with that. Unless you have a good ear, you're not gonna make out half of the lyrics through the watery vocoder! I don't know why the band thought that was a good idea; it sounds more like a piss-poor rip than something that was recorded in a studio only a best-selling band could afford! I was beyond relieved when it was finally dropped for the "Lift me up, let me go" part.

Now for the music. I like a good electronic song as much as the next guy, but that's not where Linkin Park's strength is, which for the record, is with rock songs. Preferably, rap-rock with a touch of electronica for flavor. However, I don't think the band should restrict itself to that. I believe experimentation is healthy. And that nu-metal is dead and gone, but that's another story. I like Minutes to Midnight for not being the lighter and softer remake of Hybrid Theory most of Meteora turned out to be and I love "Breaking the Habit", despite my opinion on the rest of the album. But this? This sounds like a neutered Pendulum song. "The Catalyst" is a dance song, and not a very imaginative one. That being said, I actually enjoy the music. I thought the synth solo and drum outro were cool and I liked how up-tempo the song was.

What's my opinion on the song? Linkin Park could have done a lot better. Hell, some of the remixes blew the actual song out of the water, such as the Manic All-Stars! But it's not gonna taint my perception of what the album's gonna be like. As some people have mentioned, "What I've Done" isn't very representative of Minutes to Midnight and I'm willing to bet it's the same case here. And like that song, "The Catalyst" is gonna grow on me during the next few months.

so... you made a new account just to tell us this?

I know maybe yes, maybe not... in my opinion LP is one of the best artists/bands that ever heard in my life, and thats why i love the Band, but i mean im in 6 forums, form uruguay, argentina, lplive, facebook and much more and the 70% of the comments have a high value of violence against the band... that is really weird...

It's more like 90% negative comments on some French forums, with most of the critics claiming "WTF?!?!?!! This is techno shit!!!!!!!!!", "Where is rock/metal?", "F$ck, LP has gone Black Eyed Peace", "I will re-sell my show tickets!!!",...I always though LP fans liked electronica, apparently this isn't really the case.

Oh well, there will probably be an adaptation time to the new style, as it happened when MTM comes out...if not, there's a huge risk LP lost lot of fans, indeed. But risk is inevitable when it comes to experimenting with new music genres.

I dont remember whether i posted about this before or not but,

This is exactly what i wanted and obviously what LP wanted,

I dint want a Rock record, we already have A7X, I dint want Nu Metal Limp Bizkit is almost here.

The track have something new, which i think not only Linkin Park fans have never heard but also any other genre or artist fan has heard. This is epic sounding.

I am happy with it.

And i dont think Linkin Park will lose there fans.

Last night it was first time i saw such active response by LP fans in india. on release on New Divide there were very very less no. of fans listening to the premier, they DLed it a day after or a two. this time they are doing the promotion and everything very seriously. And they are also happy about the song.

I LOVE the song so much! I was so prepared to be disappointed and hate it; but LP proved once again why they're my favourite band. They consistently make music that appeals to me. I felt so warm from listening to it. The harmonies were my favourite part of the song followed by the drums, piano, and scratching. I love electronic music, vocal driven music, drum heavy music, singing, piano, melodic music, and alternative rock music so this song satisfied all those buttons greatly. :D

I can't wait for the rest of the album.

I am glad LP have completely disregarded what anyone thinks, expectations, fitting in a stereotypic narrow view, genre boxes and all the bullshit that comes along with being a rock band in exchange for doing what they want that satisfies them. I for one am along for the ride. If i didn't like it, i would wait for the rest of the album. If i didn't like that either, i would just stick to their past albums instead of wasting my time going on forums and ranting about it. <_<

Edited by arbiter

To me, if they were to continue to make songs like What I've Done, Numb, Breaking The Habit, Crawling, Blackbirds, or New Divide. That'd be selling out to me. Because for a band like linkin park their sound was already fairly mainstream friendly and generic to begin with, so they couldn't really sell out anymore unless they put justin beiber and akon on a track. So I really don't see any of thoes arguments as valid.

Catalyst seems like a step in a direction the Beatles headed in when they departed from their cheesey boy band music and who was to blame? Lenon...and drugs. (chill out beatles enthusiast lol)

I think for all the haters you're gunna have to hear the album to like this song. It sounds like me it'll be consistent sonically with the rest of the album and fit in like a puzzle peice.

I dont remember whether i posted about this before or not but,

This is exactly what i wanted and obviously what LP wanted,

I dint want a Rock record, we already have A7X, I dint want Nu Metal Limp Bizkit is almost here.

The track have something new, which i think not only Linkin Park fans have never heard but also any other genre or artist fan has heard. This is epic sounding.

I am happy with it.

And i dont think Linkin Park will lose there fans.

Last night it was first time i saw such active response by LP fans in india. on release on New Divide there were very very less no. of fans listening to the premier, they DLed it a day after or a two. this time they are doing the promotion and everything very seriously. And they are also happy about the song.

man count me , i was awake all night i slept at 2.30 pm lol

Edited by aravind221

This. LP apologists can't stand people telling the truth.

Sweetie, The only "truth" about art is the fact that it is purely subjective and biased based on the individual's schema of music based on their experiences and taste.

And what the fuck is a "LP apologists?" Another stereotype that unfairly groups a bunch of people under one umbrella? Like seriously?

for who's interested I've figured out the lyrics after listen it a couple of times;

here is it

God bless us every one

We're a broken people living under loaded gun

And it can't be outfought

It can't be outdone

It can't be outmatched

It can't be outrun

No [x2]

and when I close my eyes tonight

to symphonies of blinding light

(God bless us every one

We're a broken people living under loaded gun no)

Like memories in cold decay

Transmissions echoing away

Far from the world of you and I

Where oceans bleed into the sky

God save us everyone

when we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns

For the sins of our hand

The sins of our tongue

The sins of our father

The sins of our young

No [x2]

and when I close my eyes tonight

to symphonies of blinding light

(God save us everyone

when we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns no)

Lift me up let me go [repeat until the end]

(it can't be outfought

It can't be outdone

It can't be outmatched

It can't be outrun no)

God bless us every one

It can't be outdone

It can't be outmatched

It can't be outrun

No

God bless us every one

It can't be outdone

It can't be outmatched

It can't be outrun

so... you made a new account just to tell us this?

Yes, I did. Because the opinions of most everyone else in this thread are very black and white. It's either epically awesome or epically shitty. Excuse me for being a little more moderate and having the time to critique the song. Because a real fan blindingly accepts what's handed to them. A real fan buys all of the hype. A real fan will call anyone who doesn't claim this is "the best song evaa" a "hater". There's being loyal and there's being cattle. What's the matter? I even said the song will grow on me because I plan on putting A Thousand Suns on repeat until well into the next year.

Are you trying to invalidate my opinion because I'm a new member? Simply because I had something more to say than someone who loved the song and made a wall of text from the word "epic" or a detractor complaining about the overuse of the that word to describe "The Catalyst"? Ugh, this is why I usually avoid other members of the fanbase.

Edited by KitsuneInferno

Yes, I did. Because the opinions of most everyone else in this thread are very black and white. It's either epically awesome or epically shitty. Excuse me for being a little more moderate and having the time to critique the song. Because a real fan blindingly accepts what's handed to them. A real fan buys all of the hype. A real fan will call anyone who doesn't claim this is "the best song evaa" a "hater". There's being loyal and there's being cattle. What's the matter? I even said the song will grow on me because I plan on putting A Thousand Suns on repeat until well into the next year.

Are you trying to invalidate my opinion because I'm a new member? Simply because I had something more to say than someone who loved the song and made a wall of text from the word "epic" or a detractor complaining about the overuse of the that word to describe "The Catalyst"? Ugh, this is why I usually avoid other members of the fanbase.

Chill out. If you're prepared to come on a public forum to post your opinions, then you should also be prepared to receive oppositions and/or validations just like i am prepared for all that.

Its cool that you took the time to explain why you found the song underwhelming. But i don't understand and think its just unnecessary to label everyone who thinks the song is great a "cattle" simply because they love the song and you can't understand why.

I love the song and think it is orgasmic. Nothing intellectual. It was just how i felt listening to it for the first time. I consider myself a fan of the band because I've always found myself loving at least 85% of the music they release and i connected with them live when i saw them. And with this single, they still make music that appeals to me. I don't force myself to like their music. I didn't love What I've Done when it came out. But that didn't stop me from checking out the rest of the album as i had fate the band had the ingredients to make music that spoke to me and they did. So i think it is rude and doesn't help get your point across when you try to insult people for not writing a novel like you and chose to simply express themselves in the simplest of terms. And maybe you could consider that this song maybe polarizing. Most people might either love it or hate it. I don't think the people are haters if they don't love it.

And the word fan is a short form of fanatical(excessively enthusiastic.) If you're not fanatical, then you're probably not a fan. Just so you know. You shouldn't be mad that people are living up to the definition of the word.

Welcome to the internet.