Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out April 7, 2023

BeardyWilderness

12 hours ago, IntensityJS said:

He could’ve just been practicing over that song and then it never was actually recorded as they decided to go with other songs over HF

I doubt that they were just pacticing, they seem to be tracking' i still think that the drums are not the ones from NRG, it has the same "fill" for all sections of the songs.. very weird.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/26/2023 at 10:11 AM, unksoldier2000 said:

I doubt that they were just pacticing, they seem to be tracking' i still think that the drums are not the ones from NRG, it has the same "fill" for all sections of the songs.. very weird.

They probably never found the session with those drums. Either that or they just didn’t sound good (was too overpowering) over the rest of the “demo” sounds in the mix. Sadly I don’t think HF made it past drums at NRG. Maybe bass but guitar is doubtful.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

52 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

They probably never found the session with those drums. Either that or they just didn’t sound good (was too overpowering) over the rest of the “demo” sounds in the mix. Sadly I don’t think HF made it past drums at NRG. Maybe bass but guitar is doubtful.

that would be a mistake imo, the best part from that snippet was the drums. 
i have the same feeling, that HF didn't lasted long into NRG sessions

On 3/27/2023 at 3:11 AM, unksoldier2000 said:

I guarantee you they were tracking. Honestly there aren't too many times - especially in big studios back then - when tape wasn't rolling at all times that instruments were being played. Even when artists would say "I'm just going to practise, don't record this..." you very quickly learned to just say "Okay", and hit record anyway, and so many magic moments would happen in those situations.

And I suspect your hunch is right, and the release is using the demo drums which are pre-NRG. To my ear, the Healing Foot drums sound markedly different to even the in-studio demos from those sessions, leading me to think, as you did, that it's just programmed loops

9 hours ago, aerosoul said:

I guarantee you they were tracking. Honestly there aren't too many times - especially in big studios back then - when tape wasn't rolling at all times that instruments were being played. Even when artists would say "I'm just going to practise, don't record this..." you very quickly learned to just say "Okay", and hit record anyway, and so many magic moments would happen in those situations.

And I suspect your hunch is right, and the release is using the demo drums which are pre-NRG. To my ear, the Healing Foot drums sound markedly different to even the in-studio demos from those sessions, leading me to think, as you did, that it's just programmed loops

you are right, but during the video rec think that they were recording the drums aswell.
i wonder what happened to the "final version" of Healing Foot, maybe they didn't release it cause during the NRG sessions they just trashed it.. sad but could be that
something that we would need to ask Mike/Brad/Don.

Edited by unksoldier2000

On 3/28/2023 at 8:42 AM, unksoldier2000 said:

you are right, but during the video rec think that they were recording the drums aswell.
i wonder what happened to the "final version" of Healing Foot, maybe they didn't release it cause during the NRG sessions they just trashed it.. sad but could be that
something that we would need to ask Mike/Brad/Don.

It’s also possible they never had a finished version of those drums. (Chorus or verses may not have been recorded or had a finished version). The part we heard in the video clip was of the bridge, we know now.

It’s hard to say since we don’t know exactly how soon into the process HF got cut but I’m assuming it had to have been one of the earliest to go. Great demo, but It’s definitely different than the stuff they were trying to do for Meteora at the time.

4 hours ago, IWillWalkAway said:

It’s also possible they never had a finished version of those drums. (Chorus or verses may not have been recorded or had a finished version). The part we heard in the video clip was of the bridge, we know now.

It’s hard to say since we don’t know exactly how soon into the process HF got cut but I’m assuming it had to have been one of the earliest to go. Great demo, but It’s definitely different than the stuff they were trying to do for Meteora at the time.

i think that's the case, they seem to just had picked finished ones like they did on HT20 (with Turn to Grey and Ashes missing)
maybe if we have a new LPU album this version could be released... it would be perfect.

Thoughs about this Lost song - it feels that maybe they didn't know how or where to add the song, because that song was 100% completed in 2002, mixed, mastered, so is the song can be called a demo after you make a new mix for it? Rather no, it's still a completed song, so it makes no sense to add it on the disc that it's called "demos".

But anyway, they figured it out it this way and I'm glad to have both versions of that song, even if the song itself is not my favorite.

21 minutes ago, martinez said:

Thoughs about this Lost song - it feels that maybe they didn't know how or where to add the song, because that song was 100% completed in 2002, mixed, mastered, so is the song can be called a demo after you make a new mix for it? Rather no, it's still a completed song, so it makes no sense to add it on the disc that it's called "demos".

But anyway, they figured it out it this way and I'm glad to have both versions of that song, even if the song itself is not my favorite.

It’s the first in line of the tracks on the lost demos, meant to serve as the “main” release for Meteora20. So no it’s not a demo, but it’s still unreleased. All other 13 tracks in the CD are technically considered demos so “Lost Demos” actually makes a ton of sense for the name and the placement of Lost.

I think a lot of people in the community are having trouble liking Lost right now because we’ve only heard the modern mix. Trust me guys, the 2002 mix is gonna be much better. It’s the actual OG “Lost”. We haven’t heard it yet, and I’m pretty positive it’s gonna sound much more “Meteora” if it’s included on the full album in the Deluxe CD. Most of us myself included will probably like it a lot more. Not to say the modern mix is bad, I love LP’s new music, and Manny Marroquin is great. it’s just that Lost isn’t a new song, it’s from 2002. And with LP, a song from 2002 with its original mix definitely beats any remix or remaster.

1 hour ago, IWillWalkAway said:

It’s the first in line of the tracks on the lost demos, meant to serve as the “main” release for Meteora20. So no it’s not a demo, but it’s still unreleased. All other 13 tracks in the CD are technically considered demos so “Lost Demos” actually makes a ton of sense for the name and the placement of Lost.

I think a lot of people in the community are having trouble liking Lost right now because we’ve only heard the modern mix. Trust me guys, the 2002 mix is gonna be much better. It’s the actual OG “Lost”. We haven’t heard it yet, and I’m pretty positive it’s gonna sound much more “Meteora” if it’s included on the full album in the Deluxe CD. Most of us myself included will probably like it a lot more. Not to say the modern mix is bad, I love LP’s new music, and Manny Marroquin is great. it’s just that Lost isn’t a new song, it’s from 2002. And with LP, a song from 2002 with its original mix definitely beats any remix or remaster.

i have no doubt about it... i always loved Andy Wallace mixes, it's strange to hear a Meteora song so modern since he knew exactly how LP should sound;
even Mike's mix of Fighting Myself sounds more Meteora than that Manny Marroquin mix.. but that's just my taste.

I don't think "a lot" of people are having trouble liking "Lost" - it's one of their best unreleased songs they've ever put out. It's up there with "No Roads Left" and "Across the Line" in terms of songs not making the album.

"More the Victim" may end up being in this list too, let's see what the lossless stereo mix of it sounds like. "Fighting Myself" is pretty good.

Brad said he personally wanted it mixed from Manny for this release.

I couldn't disagree more about the Lost mix, I think the new modern mix makes it more exciting. I especially love the presence of the low end and the drums. Fighting Myself also sounds of a piece with it by comparison to something like Hit The Floor or other Meteora mixes. I'm psyched to hear the comparison with the 2002 mix just to learn from it, but I love the new mix. 

4 hours ago, unksoldier2000 said:

i have no doubt about it... i always loved Andy Wallace mixes, it's strange to hear a Meteora song so modern since he knew exactly how LP should sound;
even Mike's mix of Fighting Myself sounds more Meteora than that Manny Marroquin mix.. but that's just my taste.

Exactly. Can't wait to hear 2002 mix.

28 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

Again, never said the modern mix was bad. Meteora has an iconic sound and changing it for a more modern touch is a little unfamiliar. New mix is still good but the original mix is going to be better for the sake of authenticity

Yeah, I feel the same on that one. I'm just curious on how different it will sound. The chorus seems perfect for that big Meteora sound.

4 minutes ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

I think an Italian rock radio is playing the 2002 mix, I might be wrong but I heard some differences. I even played it on Spotify just right after I heard it on the radio (same car stereo) and the one I heard on the radio sounded rawer and louder, IMO 

Shame that you couldn't record it. 🙈

1 hour ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

I think an Italian rock radio is playing the 2002 mix, I might be wrong but I heard some differences. I even played it on Spotify just right after I heard it on the radio (same car stereo) and the one I heard on the radio sounded rawer and louder, IMO 

which radio? could we recap that and rec like on SiriusXM?