Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out April 7, 2023

BeardyWilderness

1 hour ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

I think an Italian rock radio is playing the 2002 mix, I might be wrong but I heard some differences. I even played it on Spotify just right after I heard it on the radio (same car stereo) and the one I heard on the radio sounded rawer and louder, IMO 

Does it have the same lyrics or is it different like "Thoughts that take away my pride"?

Edited by Andros

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

I think an Italian rock radio is playing the 2002 mix, I might be wrong but I heard some differences. I even played it on Spotify just right after I heard it on the radio (same car stereo) and the one I heard on the radio sounded rawer and louder, IMO 

Could it just be the compression from over the air radio?

1 hour ago, leftshoe18 said:

Could it just be the compression from over the air radio?

Yeah it could be that, in fact I told myself “it’s different” and then I was like “I don’t know”. 
Replying to @Andros it’s the exact same song, the vocals are the exact same 100%, I just had the feeling the mix was a bit different (especially the beginning) but I could be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

Yeah it could be that, in fact I told myself “it’s different” and then I was like “I don’t know”. 
Replying to @Andros it’s the exact same song, the vocals are the exact same 100%, I just had the feeling the mix was a bit different (especially the beginning) but I could be wrong. 

Thanks man!

The 2002 mix will have all the exact same parts of the song we have now, only mixed differently. The drums, bass, guitars, etc. all the individual stems of the track will be in different volumes compared to what we have now mixed by Manny.  Gonna be interesting to compare both versions to see how Andy Wallace wanted it to sound in 2002 compared to Manny for his more modern sound.

Brad said Lost was mixed with the rest of the album in New York and Lost was the only extra song they mixed at the time. That's a pretty late cut from the album at that point.

Any final predictions for the demos? Wesside with vocals? A6 with screaming by Chester? Resolution being a Lost demo? Figure.09 with singing verses? There is a ton of potential in these demos for epic stuff.

Just now, LPLStaff said:

Brad said Lost was mixed with the rest of the album in New York and Lost was the only extra song they mixed at the time. That's a pretty late cut from the album at that point.

Any final predictions for the demos? Wesside with vocals? A6 with screaming by Chester? Resolution being a Lost demo? Figure.09 with singing verses? There is a ton of potential in these demos for epic stuff.

My predictions:

The band completed and mixed 15 songs

They cut Lost, More The Victim and Resolution.

29 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

A06 with screams would be something to freak out, and I bet one between resolution and Wesside will be a rap song by Mike 

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

If Resolution does end up being an early version/demo of Lost, wouldn’t that allude to Nocturnal and Serpent being the demo titles of Nobody’s Listening and Numb?  

(though without knowing which one is which specifically) 

Edited by HybridParty

9 hours ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

Listen to the background music in LPUTV Mikes Shirt. That’s the first verse on the 2002 mix. The bass is a bit more “bassy” and noticeable on the 2002 mix.

https://youtu.be/IQH5mdAvfyo

Also, I don’t think the 2002 mix has come out anywhere yet, so it wouldn’t be getting radio play yet. You probably heard the modern mix but it’s the same song technically.

4 hours ago, solidss said:

The 2002 mix will have all the exact same parts of the song we have now, only mixed differently. The drums, bass, guitars, etc. all the individual stems of the track will be in different volumes compared to what we have now mixed by Manny.  Gonna be interesting to compare both versions to see how Andy Wallace wanted it to sound in 2002 compared to Manny for his more modern sound.

The sounds are all the same but the mix and EQ is very different on a lot of sounds.

Most sounds EQ will likely be a lot more raw on the 2002 mix, like how the other Meteora tracks were done by Andy and at the time of 2002.

One example, is that scratch effect after every 2nd snare hit in the verses, again heard in Mikes Shirt LPUTV.

Another is just the drum track itself, especially the kicks.

And overall the mix is more Andy Wallace sounding for sure you can hear it in higher quality in that clip on the extended summer sanitarium episode on LP’s youtube

Edited by IWillWalkAway

1 hour ago, HybridParty said:

If Resolution does end up being an early version/demo of Lost, wouldn’t that allude to Nocturnal and Serpent being the demo titles of Nobody’s Listening and Numb?  

(though without knowing which one is which specifically) 

something cool to we get answered by Mike... what track was Nocturnal and Serpent?
(especially Nocturnal, since was one of the early tracks to be ever mentioned alongside BTH and Shifter)

1 minute ago, unksoldier2000 said:

something cool to we get answered by Mike... what track was Nocturnal and Serpent?
(especially Nocturnal, since was one of the early tracks to be ever mentioned alongside BTH and Shifter)

He would probably say that he doesn't remember it at all

32 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

The sounds are all the same but the mix and EQ is very different on a lot of sounds.

Most sounds EQ will likely be a lot more raw on the 2002 mix, like how the other Meteora tracks were done by Andy and at the time of 2002.

One example, is that scratch effect after every 2nd snare hit in the verses, again heard in Mikes Shirt LPUTV.

Another is just the drum track itself, especially the kicks.

And overall the mix is more Andy Wallace sounding for sure you can hear it in higher quality in that clip on the extended summer sanitarium episode on LP’s youtube

i noticed that the verse synth is really panned to the right side.
that other distorted sample from 0:20 is panne to the left side.
and the string are not that loud in this mix.

some stuff that still on the Manny mix after all... did he listened to the 2002 mix to then do his mix?

Edited by unksoldier2000

2 hours ago, unksoldier2000 said:

i noticed that the verse synth is really panned to the right side.
that other distorted sample from 0:20 is panne to the left side.
and the string are not that loud in this mix.

some stuff that still on the Manny mix after all... did he listened to the 2002 mix to then do his mix?

All those things are just differences in mixing choices made by Andy and Manny I think, as well as to do with the mixes being 20 years apart from each other.

Mike said the band and Manny listened to the original mix and then decided to give it the new one.

The whole point of the new mix is to keep the familiar classic sound of Linkin Park and Meteora but do it in a way that sounds more presentable nowadays, so it would appeal to more audiences. Makes perfect sense. But also I’m really glad they’re including the 2002 mix too, and not just keep it buried forever.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

12 minutes ago, IWillWalkAway said:

All those things are just differences in mixing choices made by Andy and Manny I think, as well as to do with the mixes being 20 years apart from each other.

Mike said the band and Manny listened to the original mix and then decided to give it the new one.

The whole point of the new mix is to keep the familiar classic sound of Linkin Park and Meteora but do it in a way that sounds more presentable nowadays, so it would appeal to more audiences. Makes perfect sense. But also I’m really glad they’re including the 2002 mix too, and not just keep it buried forever.

makes sense now, the verses might have some EQ and effect differences.
like you said, we are getting the og 2002 mix, sad that Lost was the only non-album track to be mixed.

1 hour ago, unksoldier2000 said:

makes sense now, the verses might have some EQ and effect differences.
like you said, we are getting the og 2002 mix, sad that Lost was the only non-album track to be mixed.

true, I wish MTV and FM made it all the way through like Lost. They’re all such amazing tracks. But previously everyone thought it was only the 12 that made the album that were mixed and done. Lost (known for years as this “thoughts that take away my pride” track) being a mixed and done song is something I don’t think anyone really expected or realized how close to making the cut it always was.

For years I had always thought of this track as like the “secret song” of Meteora, because of how much like the finished songs on the album the track sounded in all the clips we heard of it and the fact it wasn’t released in any form at all. Crazy that it actually was that one song that just didn’t make it onto Meteora.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

8 hours ago, IWillWalkAway said:

Listen to the background music in LPUTV Mikes Shirt. That’s the first verse on the 2002 mix. The bass is a bit more “bassy” and noticeable on the 2002 mix.

https://youtu.be/IQH5mdAvfyo

Also, I don’t think the 2002 mix has come out anywhere yet, so it wouldn’t be getting radio play yet. You probably heard the modern mix but it’s the same song technically.

Yeah probably