The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

Damn, we couldn't even make it to 50 days of Making Chester Proud

Nah, all the memorials and shit around the world would have made him proud. As well as other stuff. I was just messing around. I guess I'll just edit the post, but it wasn't even that bad. Lol. Very mild compared to things I've said in the past.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got message from my friend that her friend saw some twitter comunication between Mike Shinoda and Tommy Vext. Tommy filled in for Ivan Moody in Five Finger Death Punch this summer. He sings in band Westfield Massacre. If this is true, he will be only guest vocalist for LA tribute and maybe Japan shows. I don't think he would be permanent member of Linkin Park.

Edited by FromTheInside

https://youtu.be/LewUgNvsfWQThis wouldn t be a bad solution for the tour, if the rumour comes out to be true

I got message from my friend that her friend saw some twitter comunication between Mike Shinoda and Tommy Vext. Tommy filled in for Ivan Moody in Five Finger Death Punch this summer. He sings in band Westfield Massacre. If this is true, he will be only guest vocalist for LA tribute and maybe Japan shows. I don't think he would be permanent member of Linkin Park.

The band should promote a contest to elect the new vocalist, where the fans would choose the best.

Don't think it'd be an idea they'd want to promote. I know STP did it years back, but that's because of the situation they were in. This is different. A lot more personal. If they do plan on getting a new vocalist, they'd probably do it on their own.

I agree with you guys. That's the last thing they should do...

I think Mike is gonna be the "new" frontman, since he's always been the frontman with Chester... If they're gonna do some new songs then they definitely gonna sound different, but I'm sure they won't sound bad.

I'm just wondering about the live performances... I don't think they'll never play the old songs, because... what would they play instead? I just don't know...

They have more than enough songs they could do from the back catalog with Mike as lead. Crowd already sings a fair bit of In The End, Numb could definitely work in a stripped down form, Mike is creative enough to make a song like Faint or Papercut work, there's a ton of stuff from MTM to now that Mike could handle. It's not like it'd be impossible to do older stuff with Mike as lead, but stuff like One Step Closer is gonna have to be retired.

I agree with you guys. That's the last thing they should do...

I think Mike is gonna be the "new" frontman, since he's always been the frontman with Chester... If they're gonna do some new songs then they definitely gonna sound different, but I'm sure they won't sound bad.

I'm just wondering about the live performances... I don't think they'll never play the old songs, because... what would they play instead? I just don't know...

Mike wasn't really the ''frontman'', though. He even said before that the reason the band had two vocalists was because he knew he didn't want to be the lead singer. Mike is ''the glue'' of the band. He started it, he holds it all together, and he also did pretty much all of the behind the scenes work. But I'm not sure if he can sing all the old songs or like 95% of them. That's why they need a new singer who can sing/scream like Chester, if they want to continue as a full fledged band. But that doesn't mean the new singer would have to sound exactly like Chester or anything. Just someone who can do the style in ways. It's crazy how many are against a new vocalist. Well, I was at first, too. But it then made sense. I don't think the fans should pick, it should be whoever the band wants or feels comfortable with. And it's not a comparison to Chester in any way.

That Tommy Vext guy doesn't seem like a bad fit. I'd like that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/craigmabbitt It's funny that if you look at Craig's timeline since Chester died, he has tons of tweets and Instagram posts using LP lyrics and stuff about Chester. He said that he even wanted to become a singer after seeing PR02.

Edited by Geki

Mike wasn't really the ''frontman'', though. He even said before that the reason the band had two vocalists was because he knew he didn't want to be the lead singer. Mike is ''the glue'' of the band. He started it, he holds it all together, and he also did pretty much all of the behind the scenes work. But I'm not sure if he can sing all the old songs or like 95% of them. That's why they need a new singer who can sing/scream like Chester, if they want to continue as a full fledged band. But that doesn't mean the new singer would have to sound exactly like Chester or anything. Just someone who can do the style in ways. It's crazy how many are against a new vocalist. Well, I was at first, too. But it then made sense. I don't think the fans should pick, it should be whoever the band wants or feels comfortable with. And it's not a comparison to Chester in any way.

That Tommy Vext guy doesn't seem like a bad fit. I'd like that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/craigmabbitt It's funny that if you look at Craig's timeline since Chester died, he has tons of tweets and Instagram posts using LP lyrics and stuff about Chester. He said that he even wanted to become a singer after seeing PR02.

I don't agree with Tommy being permanent LP vocalist. For couple shows ok, but not forever. Pure metalhead wouldn't be good fit for a band like Linkin Park. Aaron Lewis or Johnny Santos would be great. At least for me.

Edited by FromTheInside

I don't agree with Tommy being permanent LP vocalist. For couple shows ok, but not forever. Pure metalhead wouldn't be good fit for band like Linkin Park. I think Jonny Santos from Spineshank would be pretty good.

Agree. It would be much better for the band (if ever they need a new vocalist) to find someone that doesn't sound or resemble like Chester at all. A vocalist that suits the band where they are now in their career. Fans or even casual fans may not accept this but it's the only way to avoid some sorts of comparison between the two.

They have more than enough songs they could do from the back catalog with Mike as lead. Crowd already sings a fair bit of In The End, Numb could definitely work in a stripped down form, Mike is creative enough to make a song like Faint or Papercut work, there's a ton of stuff from MTM to now that Mike could handle. It's not like it'd be impossible to do older stuff with Mike as lead, but stuff like One Step Closer is gonna have to be retired.

I'm pretty sure they'll be able to pull off the studio version of Papercut without too many probelms. Faint is a different story, but as you said, they can make it work. The only "big" singles they'll have a problem performing are OSC, ND, BIO and BID. And I'm sure Mike can come up with a way to play at least a couple of them live. WID, Crawling and Numb can work in a stripped down form IMO.

It's crazy how many are against a new vocalist. Well, I was at first, too. But it then made sense. I don't think the fans should pick, it should be whoever the band wants or feels comfortable with. And it's not a comparison to Chester in any way

I don't think that many people are against it, it's just that some of us would prefer seeing them continue as a 5 piece. I ultimately want what's best for the band and I'll support them no matter what. But personaly, I think that because of the impact Chester had on us all and the special place he has in our life, it'll feel wrong to see someone else taking over his place.

I don't agree with Tommy being permanent LP vocalist. For couple shows ok, but not forever. Pure metalhead wouldn't be good fit for a band like Linkin Park. Aaron Lewis or Johnny Santos would be great. At least for me.

Just because he sings in a metal band it doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in Linkin Park. Someone could listen to Grey Daze and think "oh their vocalist is great but a pure grunge guy wouldn't fit in Xero", without knowing he was already a fan of Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, and even hip hop artists.

My guess is the memorial event is in October sometime, a few weeks before the Japan shows.

I think whatever info that is on Tommy is really vague and seems easy to make up in a time like this. I haven't seen that anywhere else at all. I mean it could very well be true, but the source of "heard it from someone that saw it somewhere" is ehhh.

One thing that I found bone chilling for me was that a few days before he did it, I had a dream where Chester committed suicide. I wish I could've said something, and I feel even worse that I said nothing.

Man it s really creepy but hey, you couldn't imagine, no one could, even his closest friends, so don t overthink about it ;)

What is Mark Wakefield up to? Maybe if he has improved, he can come back. He can probably handle anything that isn't screaming intensely.

He's been managing big bands since he left Xero. Seems to be doing pretty well. I don't think he would be interested in becoming part of a band again, especially because (according to Chester) he had a really bad stage fright.

He's been managing big bands since he left Xero. Seems to be doing pretty well. I don't think he would be interested in becoming part of a band again, especially because (according to Chester) he had a really bad stage fright.

Well, hopefully, this week, the band will give us some info on the future of the band. Mike said some announcements are coming this week. Could just be the memorial event, or possibly info on the Japan Tour in November. But I want to know if they are going to continue as a 5 piece or get a new singer. Because Anna Shinoda posted a photo of her outside of the ''studio'' for LP. So that means Mike must be working on new music. I just want to know what the idea for moving on is.