The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

Again, he's not a pro... it won't happen.. also we don't know if he can scream.... i believe that he can only do soft songs.

I don't hate Mark but he really isn't that good of a vocalist. I'm sure he would even agree at this point, since he really hasn't recorded much of anything (except for like Barack Your World and that Ground Zero song which I'm not even sure if it's him or not) since 1997. LOL. He also attempted to scream a few times on the Xero cassette and it just sounded awful.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin would have actually been a decent fit but the reason that he quit Of Mice & Men was because of his health issues that prevented him from touring pretty much. I don't think that would be a good fit for a band like Linkin Park who tours a lot and is always making music when not.

I'd actually argue against that. Austin doesn't have a very good singing range. At best he could pull off something like In Pieces, and that's still a maybe

Any metalcore vocalist would work, since they can both scream and sing and do aggressive vocals, etc. Tons and tons of singers out there they could choose. I know they're grieving still but they need to consider the future of the band. Don't leave it as a guess to the fans. Are they continue or not and in what capacity? It's not fair that everyone in the band has to throw away their career and all the fans have to throw away their favorite band because one person committed suicide. It won't be the same without Chester, but who the hell expects it to? They could find a metalcore vocalist and do a big tour, record some new music, etc. Maybe even re-record some of the old music.

Some people have reservations against the word "commited", because that word implies that he intended this act and it also criminalizes suicidal people most of times like they are the only ones responsible for suicide "act" but I digress (just felt the need to put this here)

Edited by Gigito1995

Austin would have actually been a decent fit but the reason that he quit Of Mice & Men was because of his health issues that prevented him from touring pretty much. I don't think that would be a good fit for a band like Linkin Park who tours a lot and is always making music when not.

If they chose a metalcore vocalist, it wouldn't really be ''similar'' to Chester. I mean they will need someone who can scream and sing, so of course it will be similar in that sense. But nobody in the world really sounds similar to Chester, at least not to me, or Mike Shinoda, since he says that in the Making Of Minutes To Midnight DVD. He says ''I consider Chester one of the best singers of our time. I challenge anyone to sing a song that he sings, to cover the song, and make it sound anything like him, you can't do it.'' But anyways, there are tons of great metalcore vocalists out there. I could name a ton. Even probably some great ones who have yet to be really discovered in the public eye. Look at the roster for Warped Tour each year in the past like 8 years and you'll find a good one.

Jeff Gutt has already said he has no interest in being the lead singer for Linkin Park, and I really don't understand the hard-on everyone has for him on this site. He was a generic nu-metal vocalist almost 20 years ago. Sure, he sounded good singing Hallelujah, but cmon. We are talking about fronting Linkin Park here.

Yes I Know what we talk about. Ok, make your suggestion of names that can fronting LP. I think Jeff could do. Go to facebook and listen to him singing numb. It is pretty nice. We should not make the fault and compare to Chester.

Edited by Frank1984

I'm saying this as a guy who listens to a lot of metalcore bands and likes the genre: Metalcore vocalists tend to be very one dimensional. A lot of bands actually have 2 vocalists because one guy specializes in cleans and the other one in screams. Even a guy like Aaron Pauley who can do both bores me a lot of times and doesn't come close to Chester's level.

I'm saying this as a guy who listens to a lot of metalcore bands and likes the genre: Metalcore vocalists tend to be very one dimensional. A lot of bands actually have 2 vocalists because one guy specializes in cleans and the other one in screams. Even a guy like Aaron Pauley who can do both bores me a lot of times and doesn't come close to Chester's level.

I think this conversation happened a while ago, but while it's true some metalcore vocalists are one dimensional, there are some truly amazing singers who can scream and sing equally as well. That's still irrelevant though, because it's more than about who can hit the notes. Chester left it all the stage every night and had so much passion. That's something that goes beyond just vocal ability.

I'd actually argue against that. Austin doesn't have a very good singing range. At best he could pull off something like In Pieces, and that's still a maybe

Yeah and the problem with that is that it's such an obscure deep cut that they probably will never play it again, especially since Chester himself wrote that song about his ex-wife. They need someone who can do most of the old singles and new stuff in the future.

I think this conversation happened a while ago, but while it's true some metalcore vocalists are one dimensional, there are some truly amazing singers who can scream and sing equally as well. That's still irrelevant though, because it's more than about who can hit the notes. Chester left it all the stage every night and had so much passion. That's something that goes beyond just vocal ability.

There are a few on my mind who would suit Linkin Park. Matty Mullins of Memphis May Fire can sing really good and can scream brutally as well. Oli Sykes of Bring Me The Horizon is awesome at both singing and screaming but I'm not sure he would ever leave Bring Me The Horizon for Linkin Park. Craig Mabbitt from Escape The Fate is also pretty good at singing and screaming. A lot of vocalists aren't bad.

Matty Mullins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Qz5P-YMdkAn example of his singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FDl2DoIwsAn example of his screaming

Edited by Geki

I really like the idea with Jeff Gutt!

He has his own vocal style.

It is not about to"replace" chester with someone similar.

Impossible!!! It's much more:find a new vocalist who can fill the gap.

Yesterday I checked the vocals Gutt did with dry cell.

He can sing and scream.

As said before here in the forum just check what he did at x factor.

Of course he has not chesters voice. And this is the point.

We don't need a new chester and don't need a clown like DPARK.

He looks like chester.... maybe! But someone how think mike and the rest would ever

choose somebody like DPARK,that does not know anything about mike rob brad joe and dave

Dry Cell had two vocalists. Judd (who was the original lead singer before Jeff Blue brought Jeff Gutt in) did the more aggressive vocals/screams. Jeff can't scream live. Here's what a Band With No Name (a band for which Jeff was the sole singer) song with screams sounds like live:

Even when Punch (Jeff's band that played cover songs only) covered Bleed It Out he wasn't the one screaming, it was Gary:

That's still irrelevant though, because it's more than about who can hit the notes. Chester left it all the stage every night and had so much passion. That's something that goes beyond just vocal ability.

Agreed. Even though I don't think there will ever be a guy that can sing, scream, and have a stage presence like Chester's.

There are a few on my mind who would suit Linkin Park. Matty Mullins of Memphis May Fire can sing really good and can scream brutally as well. Oli Sykes of Bring Me The Horizon is awesome at both singing and screaming but I'm not sure he would ever leave Bring Me The Horizon for Linkin Park. Craig Mabbitt from Escape The Fate is also pretty good at singing and screaming. A lot of vocalists aren't bad.

Matty Mullins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Qz5P-YMdkAn example of his singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FDl2DoIwsAn example of his screaming

Not that familiar with Matty or Craig, but you're right about Oli not leaving BMTH. They've been together for a very long time. He's also going through a bit of a weird phase vocally where he can't scream as well as he used to and his singing isn't quite there yet at times. He improved a lot during their last touring cycle, but I don't think he's in the level where he can perform songs that have demanding clean and unclean vocals on a nightly basis and nail them.

Edited by Mesck547

Agreed. Even though I don't think there will ever be a guy that can sing, scream, and have a stage presence like Chester's.

Not that familiar with Matty or Craig, but you're right about Oli not leaving BMTH. They've been together for a very long time. He's also going through a bit of a weird phase vocally where he can't scream as well as he used to and his singing isn't quite there yet at times. He improved a lot during their last touring cycle, but I don't think he's in the level where he can perform songs that have demanding clean and unclean vocals on a nightly basis and nail them.

True, but even Chester wasn't consistent on tour since like 2009. But if they did get Oli as their lead singer, he would sound fine in the studio, and could probably be trained by Mike, etc. for live shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnhweH1PoGMHere's another great song by Memphis May Fire (Matty Mullins' band). I think his voice could blend with LP quite well, particularly on the newer albums.

Edited by Geki

Matt Mullins sounds like OMeM a bit... not sure if could be a good "replacement", don t know, sounds like a generic metalcore singer, I doubt Mike and the guys would choose someone like him,

Abot Jeff Gutt, I really like him but I think he could pull off nice performances only on LP aggressive songs honestly, I just can t imagine him singing, dunno, WFTE

Matt Mullins sounds like OMeM a bit... not sure if could be a good "replacement", don t know, sounds like a generic metalcore singer, I doubt Mike and the guys would choose someone like him,

Abot Jeff Gutt, I really like him but I think he could pull off nice performances only on LP aggressive songs honestly, I just can t imagine him singing, dunno, WFTE

Jeff Gutt... Jesus Christ.

I still don't understand why people think Mark Wakefield would be a suitable replacement. It's like all common sense is escaping your brain. The only vocals we've seriously heard from him (so excluding White Pegacorn) were performed 20 years ago, and pretty badly at that. He hasn't been performing at all for the last 20 years either.

Saying Miley Cyrus would be a suitable replacement is a more accurate statement that saying Wakefield would be. At least she's used to performing.

Dry Cell had two vocalists. Judd (who was the original lead singer before Jeff Blue brought Jeff Gutt in) did the more aggressive vocals/screams. Jeff can't scream live. Here's what a Band With No Name (a band for which Jeff was the sole singer) song with screams sounds like live:

Even when Punch (Jeff's band that played cover songs only) covered Bleed It Out he wasn't the one screaming, it was Gary:

You just broke my heart lol

I don't have a pick right now.

Just because he didnt scream well in this two video, doesnt mean he can't do perfectly. for BIO, it's just a cover at random bar. if he do it properly, i'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

I still want Jeff Gutt as a lead singer of LINKIN PARK.

They should choose me. I can scream and sing most of Chester's stuff.

Check out my acapella cover of Given Up's bridge

https://soundcloud.com/myovis-geki/given-up-bridge-geki-vocal-cover\

I did this drunk as all fuck at midnight from my iphone's recorder so it's shit quality. I can make it sound way better, I've done it before. But I can also sing just like Chester. My ex girlfriend used to tell me that I sounded just like Chester when I sang songs like Powerless.

I'd gladly take the position. Lol. I'd marry Talinda, tour with LP. Jk. Well I would do both but this is just coming from an insane fan who is 26

If you you were really a fan of chester and loving him like you always wrote then you would never texted that shit.

If you you were really a fan of chester and loving him like you always wrote then you would never texted that shit.

I was fucking around, I know I wouldn't replace him, I don't even do vocals or play in a band. I was just making fun of it because everyone's like Jeff Gutt!!! But it is fun singing/screaming along with Chester.