The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

If they continue as 5, they probably have to start over. I am going to toss this idea in the trash, because I honestly don't see any chance of this happening. A new vocalist and learning their live collection is the only way LP as a brand won't be laid to rest along with Chester.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linkin Park's biggest days are well behind them anyways, even the band knows that. They aren't going to ever have the success of something like Hybrid Theory or Meteora ever again, and probably not the success of Minutes To Midnight, either. Sales dropped largely for A Thousand Suns and albums after, they might be able to pull that sort of success if they continue on, but I sadly doubt it. They lost the heart of their band, the soul. Casual fans already were not as interested in Linkin Park before Chester even died, and it also depends on what kind of music they are going to make in the future. I'm sure if they made another nu-metal record or hard rock record that some people would eat it up, but doing so without Chester might be pretty hard. They could go a hip-hop direction, but if they did that, there's no need for a new Chester. Continuing on the pop train seems to be what they should do, and they could easily find a pop vocalist, since pop music doesn't require talent like the singing on the first three Linkin Park albums. They could do that, honestly. This site and LPA are a very small fraction of people. Not everyone posting is going to go to the shows and buy their music, even if they say they are. I mean this thread only has 9 pages. In the past, this thread would have had like 50+ pages, easily. Same with LPA. Linkin Park isn't as big as they once were, and sometimes it's hard for the hardcore fans to realize that.

I respect your opinions and all but I never understood your obsession with the first 3 albums when you used to say that your favorite album was "Living things " but that's not really my point.My point is everyone should give their newer albums a proper chance. I gave meteora a chance after Chester's death and I can honestly say it's now my favorite record ever so maybe you should do the same with newer albums.

Singing the "new" songs is not that easy as you have imagined and Chester's signature sound is there but it just got softer.

I'm not saying that you should like these albums , all I'm saying is give them a fair chance and see If you like them or not and be respectful enough to call it for whatever it is which,in this case,not your taste.

The criticism for OML contributed one way or another to Chester's death and I'm sure If people weren't such assholes with their opinion , this wouldn't have happened.

Edited by Gigito1995

Continuing on the pop train seems to be what they should do, and they could easily find a pop vocalist, since pop music doesn't require talent like the singing on the first three Linkin Park albums.

As much as I respect your opinion, if you wanna tell me that there is no talent required on The Hunting Party than Good Goodbye...

On the other points I can accept your thoughs and opinions, but I don't think downrating THP's vocals is the right way...

To be honest, I don't know why they should change their name seriously?

We know that Chester was a huge part of LP and made the difference between LP with or without him. But Linkin Park is not just a band. Linkin Park is a damn big brand and as commercial as it sounds you can't just change a big brand such as LP.

Of course commercial matters are never above tragedies but the name "Linkin Park" is still their live even though they just named themselves after Chester joined.

Yeah exactly I don't see any reason why they would change their name if they decide to continue on.

Chester is irreplaceable and its heartbreaking knowing we will never ever see him up on stage with the band again or hear his voice on new songs.

Well, I like to sing, and I can safely say songs like New Divide and Burn it Down are much harder for me than most(if not all) of their earlier works. Even adding the drive, it's much easier to nail With You, Pushing Me Away, Lying From You, etc. Plus I don't think Chester would sing Rolling in the Deep that well in the past, he clearly evolved through the years.

I respect your opinions and all but I never understood your obsession with the first 3 albums when you used to say that your favorite album was "Living things " but that's not really my point.My point is everyone should give their newer albums a proper chance. I gave meteora a chance after Chester's death and I can honestly say it's now my favorite record ever so maybe you should do the same with newer albums.

Singing the "new" songs is not that easy as you have imagined and Chester's signature sound is there but it just got softer.

I'm not saying that you should like these albums , all I'm saying is give them a fair chance and see If you like them or not and be respectful enough to call it for whatever it is which,in this case,not your taste.

The criticism for OML contributed one way or another to Chester's death and I'm sure If people weren't such assholes with their opinion , this wouldn't have happened.

I was just trolling when I said LT was my favorite album they ever did, I hate that album.

So You don t have to be talented to pull off Sharp Edges or One More Light but you have to be really talented to pull of, say, Don t Stay? Ewww Sir I respect your point but well, ATS is a lot more skillful and complex than Meteora man

Both of those are much easier to sing than the aggressive shit on the old albums. C'mon now. I know you probably hate Meteora and HT and stuff like a lot of fans do because it's ''cringey'' or whatever, but those albums had songs that were pretty unique vocally at times and a lot of it was hard to sing.

As much as I respect your opinion, if you wanna tell me that there is no talent required on The Hunting Party than Good Goodbye...

On the other points I can accept your thoughs and opinions, but I don't think downrating THP's vocals is the right way...

They played literally one song from THP on their recent tour so I don't expect them to play any of it in the future anyways, and if they did, Wastelands wasn't as hard as most of the other songs on that album vocally. Lol.

Edited by Geki

They played literally one song from THP on their recent tour so I don't expect them to play any of it in the future anyways, and if they did, Wastelands wasn't as hard as most of the other songs on that album vocally. Lol.

What does that have to with the required talent you need to sing GATS, Rebellion, A Line In The Sand or Keys To The Kingdom. Sorry, but you didn't even answer to what I said that THP songs indeed requires a lot of talent....

To understand what you wrote. Imagine they played only ITE on their recent tour, would you then say that HT songs are easy to sing and don't require talent? It doesn't make even 1% sense to me that songs only require talent of LP played every song on their last tour.

THP just didn't really came across to a lot of fans and they don't even know that it exists and they know it so why would they play ALITS ?

What does that have to with the required talent you need to sing GATS, Rebellion, A Line In The Sand or Keys To The Kingdom. Sorry, but you didn't even answer to what I said that THP songs indeed requires a lot of talent....

To understand what you wrote. Imagine they played only ITE on their recent tour, would you then say that HT songs are easy to sing and don't require talent? It doesn't make even 1% sense to me that songs only require talent of LP played every song on their last tour.

THP just didn't really came across to a lot of fans and they don't even know that it exists and they know it so why would they play ALITS ?

Idk, I never cared for THP even remotely, so I never paid much attention to any of the songs on the album. I mean the band doesn't play any of those songs live so I don't see why they'd need someone who can perform them. I didn't answer your question because it makes no sense. Why would they need someone to play a song that they have never even performed before with Chester? Nothing studio matters, they need someone who can do the old songs LIVE. The studio recordings with Chester will forever remain, it's not like they go away because he died. They need someone who can make the kind of music they want with them in the future and can do the songs justice live, and since they didn't play THP or even stuff like Given Up live on the current touring cycle, why do they needs someone who can perform those? I think the reason that THP didn't catch on was for several reasons. One, it wasn't promoted well at all. Two, THP wasn't the heavy sound that the old school fans liked, it was like a 90's rock sound, the old fans wanted a nu-metal Faint type of song. Three, they barely played any of the album live, even on it's own touring cycle, and they played the tamest songs on the album at that. They should have legit opened up every set with Chester screaming KTTK at every show in 2014 and 2015 and also played War and all the other shit on the album except for Drawbar and The Summoning. Casual fans at the shows probably didn't know about the album.

Look, just because you can "sing" something like With You or Sharp Edges doesn't automatically mean you can actually sing those songs properly. With You requires strong vocal control. Sharp Edges requires a larger range of singing. One is different than the other. Don't try to knock off one song for the other just because you think you can "sing" it.

I disagree completely. Cornell sent Chester over the edge, nothing to do with the reaction of the album. As I mentioned before, LP were masters at handling criticism having dealt with it for every single album. OML's backlash was nothing new and was nothing even close to how badly the fanabase backlashed over ATS.

I disagree completely. Cornell sent Chester over the edge, nothing to do with the reaction of the album. As I mentioned before, LP were masters at handling criticism having dealt with it for every single album. OML's backlash was nothing new and was nothing even close to how badly the fanabase backlashed over ATS.

Exactly... backlash goes back to 2003.. even Meteora was heavily criticized.

Yeah Cornell's death & being drunk/high in that moment it's what killed Chester.

I just deleted all my Cornell's music, call me crazy but I hate him.

He seemed more sensitive to the criticism this time, but I agree Chris' death surely affected him much more. And I'm just gonna repeat here that With You is easier to sing than New Divide, because I can and wanna say it.

ATS wasn't as personal to Chester as OML though and While I think that Cornell's death is the main reason, I strongly believe that backlash contributed to a degree .I mean let's be honest Chester wasn't handling criticism the right way this cycle that he even went out of his way to lash and respond to some losers on the internet. He spent way too much time on twitter and social media more than he would normally do . He responded to one guy on instagram aggressively calling him "douchebag" because he said something like " Your new music has no soul " or whatever.The guy was losing his fucking mind and Cornell's death made it worse. Look at his kerrang interview where he said "I will punch you in the face you fuckin pussy " to some people calling them "sellouts". The only thing I agree with is that the criticism wasn't nearly as bad as ATS's but keep in mind that Chester was in better mental state then.He simply didn't give a fuck. he didn't spend that much time on social media wasting his time to responding to some people on the internet and even putting that aside, Criticism of any kind can take a toll on you after a while even If you are normal person. Chester was very passionate about the album . It was very personal to him.He had a hard time in 2016 and I believe the only thing that kept him alive was making this album and he was on top of the world in the beginning of 2017 and speaking from mentally ill person perspective ( like me ) , when you are so happy about something , you will most likely be affected by any negative response to the point you can't even ignore it.

ATS wasn't as personal to Chester as OML though and While I think that Cornell's death is the main reason, I strongly believe that backlash contributed to a degree .I mean let's be honest Chester wasn't handling criticism the right way this cycle that he even went out of his way to lash and respond to some losers on the internet. He spent way too much time on twitter and social media more than he would normally do . He responded to one guy on instagram aggressively calling him "douchebag" because he said something like " Your new music has no soul " or whatever.The guy was losing his fucking mind and Cornell's death made it worse. Look at his kerrang interview where he said "I will punch you in the face you fuckin pussy " to some people calling them "sellouts". The only thing I agree with is that the criticism wasn't nearly as bad as ATS's but keep in mind that Chester was in better mental state then.He simply didn't give a fuck. he didn't spend that much time on social media wasting his time to responding to some people on the internet and even putting that aside, Criticism of any kind can take a toll on you after a while even If you are normal person. Chester was very passionate about the album . It was very personal to him.He had a hard time in 2016 and I believe the only thing that kept him alive was making this album and he was on top of the world in the beginning of 2017 and speaking from mentally ill person perspective ( like me ) , when you are so happy about something , you will most likely be affected by any negative response to the point you can't even ignore it.

Making something that has personal significance or sentimental value doesn't make it immune to criticism. Should we just hand every album a gold star because doing otherwise could hurt the artist's feelings?

OML wasn't a very good album, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. That's just a fact.

Making something that has personal significance or sentimental value doesn't make it immune to criticism. Should we just hand every album a gold star because doing otherwise could hurt the artist's feelings?

OML wasn't a very good album, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. That's just a fact.

Seriously from the beginning of this cycle you are the only LP "fan" that pissed me off . It's not a fact , all music tastes are entirely subjective .Just because an album is disliked by a lot of people doesn't mean it's bad.Just because the music is simple doesn't mean it's bad. I can say that "black star " is a bad album and It still holds the same weight as your opinion and I have 100 reasons why OML isn't half as bad as some people said but that's really not the point. There's no black and white in this situation and this is not on the same level as corey fieldman music where all people agree on the same opinion . I hate albums that are considered " classic " by some people and I have reasons to back it up and that should be enough because music is 100% subjective.

I know I'm wasting my time here because that's like the 100th time you stated your opinion as "fact" but whatever.

I didn't even see you talk about Chester's death. It seems that it wasn't worth the effort ( to you ) to talk about it. But sure you immediately jumped into a thread just to prove how your opinion is undeniable fact . Good for you I guess..

I don't believe that Chester or the band was surprised by the amount of negative reviews for OML. They said more than once that it was expected. Most of their most popular songs are hard rock songs. Heavy on the other hand is a pop song that put them back in the spotlight. It brought the name "Linkin Park" back into the mainstream where they are mainly remembered for songs like Numb and In The End. So yes, there was always going to be close minded people who say "YOU MADE ROCK AND NOW MAKE THIS??? YOU DON'T EVEN SCREAM ANYMORE. IT SUCKS BECAUSE OF THAT FACT ALONE."

I really don't think that Chester's decision to end his life factored in the ignorance of assholes on the internet.

Chester's anger that you referred to was directed at people who specifically attacked the band personally or went way overboard in their "criticisms". He literally said if someone doesn't like their direction than so be it. He wasn't angry or saddened that the album didn't receive widespread critical acclaim. He was angry that people said they made OML for money and things of that nature.

Lastly, I realize you're angry, but it's not fair to imply that GraDoN doesn't care about Chester's death. Whether or not GraDoN liked OML or not, and whether he's opinionated about it or not, I think he and any other decent human being would consider the death of a far too young 41 year old to be tragic.

Edited by Justin

Exactly... backlash goes back to 2003.. even Meteora was heavily criticized.

Yeah Cornell's death & being drunk/high in that moment it's what killed Chester.

Why? Chris Cornell was fucking amazing. Super talented artist with all of the bands and projects he's done, IMO. Incredible voice and song writer. Do you hate him because he committed suicide and then Chester did a few months after? If so, that's a pretty stupid reason, no offense. Chris was one of Chester's best friends, perhaps even his BEST friend, so it definitely hurt Chester a lot. I didn't even know that they became such close friends after PR08, until I looked into it, after Chester died. They hung out a lot and were really close, I've seen so many photos of them hanging out, at Disney World, etc. And Chester was even the Godfather to Chris's son. They were also working on a foundation together as recent as 2015. So when your best friend commits suicide, and you already have been struggling with severe depression, it's bound to really eat you up. I totally get it.

Exactly. I'm not going to feel ''guilty'' because I heavily shit all over the album. It's music. Don't release music if you don't expect it to be criticized, especially when you're in a band who have sold 80 million albums and won several Grammy Awards.

Edited by Geki

Unless you're one of those "Chester took the easy way out" people, then you can't simultaneously claim to understand the way that depression/mental illness and possibly alcohol clouded Chester's mind and judgment, while also blaming Chris Cornell for what happened to Chester. They both struggled with similar issues.

Edited by Justin

This is actually incorrect. You're 100% within your right to criticize an album if you feel it's not to your tastes but claiming that it's "factually bad" is incredibly asinine.

Agree with you Justin.

I'm sorry, GraDoN, I was a bit angry but it's all good now.I just don't get the reason at all and I wish I did know what was going in his mind.

Suicide is tragic not only because the pain it causes to others but because the questions it leaves unanswered too.

I still stand by my opinion that music is entirely subjective though.

Edited by Gigito1995