The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

Agreed 100%. There is only one answer here to me, and it's the 5 piece answer with Mike on vocals. We'd be SURPRISED at how much of the back catalog he can already handle and plus, Mike is the master at mashups and medleys (RTN/WFTE, or Castle/HHH). As time goes on, there will only be more Mike songs created. Just think about Invisible, Sorry For Now, Roads Untraveled, Iridescent, possibly Shadow of the Day, Leave Out All The Rest, a lot of the slower stuff Mike can handle no problem. Possibly Papercut, possibly Points. Nothing with screaming.

Mike knows how to mash songs up, or maybe even put a rap bridge where there was heavy screaming before.

Maybe close it with In The End full song each show and the crowd sings the Chester parts.

I see no way Mike can't handle this himself, it's too far into their career to bring in someone new. Mike is majority songwriter already in the band....there are potential top 10 hits and albums still waiting to be made. He can get it done and I'm with it 100%. The dynamic and chemistry just won't be there if they bring someone in. It's a very UNIQUE case where this happens to a band and they have two vocalists that can both SING.

Totally agree! They are not some random guys, who made music over the past waht? 20 years. They are friends and they know each other for their whole lives. And now that there is - sadly - no Chester anymore, it is time for Mike to step up. No pressure, but I rather have Mike in the spotlight than someone else who just recently came in.

And songs like ITE still will work. Fans would be happy enough to see them perform after such an incident and sing as loud as the possible could.

And even though their future is unkown - even for themselves - they already wrote in their statement that their can't really think not to make music and perform.

I think that this is the best option, but as Geki and others said - it is up to the band not for us fans.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with these latest posts. I think they should continue with the 5 remaining members when they feel they're able to. Ultimately it's up to them of course so I respect whatever the band does. It will be hard for them making a definite choice :(

I see no way Mike can't handle this himself, it's too far into their career to bring in someone new. Mike is majority songwriter already in the band....there are potential top 10 hits and albums still waiting to be made. He can get it done and I'm with it 100%. The dynamic and chemistry just won't be there if they bring someone in. It's a very UNIQUE case where this happens to a band and they have two vocalists that can both SING.

I loved the Album "Mall" and Mike sang beautifull, but The problem with that is that at some point it could be sound monotonous (because his voice has limits). A voice that sing high notes and scream was the perfect complementation with the rap and sing of Mike.

I know is really hard to bring a new member but I prefer that, that they stop being the great band that they are now :c

Ps.: The most of the song that people love (not only fans) about LP are Chester's songs (WID, BTH, Numb, OSC, OML, BID, ND), that's the reality :(

Edited by ceZAR_LP

This, I agree that Alex McMillan has a similar voice as Chester, hopefully he will be taken in consideration if it comes to it. I really enjoyed his covers before the account was deleted/removed.

He sings very good but IMO his voice is very shrill :/

Just going to throw some names out there... smaller names.

Brandon Bolmer, a personal friend of mine. Former singer of Chiodos. Amazing cleans. Can hit high notes. Can hit low notes. Can scream his ass off, and sound good doing it. Amazing stage presence. Also, pretty young. Can handle long-ish sets full of heavy music. Produces his own music so he could have amazing input on future music. Can bring something new and clean to the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec9j2OwZmbA

Jordan Radvansky, Vocals for Sepharim. Small band. The singer. My goodness. Young. A powerhouse. Nice screams. Can handle LP heaviness. Now... the clean vocal. Listen to him. I can't even begin to tell you how beautiful this fucking voice is. Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEs7-eF0uBs

Alex McMillan Would not be a good choice. His voice sounds like a kid, Nirvana also ended and established a new band to succeed

One member of Nirvana established a new band. There were only 2 surviving members of Nirvana after Kurt died, and they were a band for 7 years. LP has 5 surviving members and they've been LP for 18 years. It's not the same thing in any way.

I loved the Album "Mall" and Mike sang beautifull, but The problem with that is that at some point it could be sound monotonous (because his voice has limits). A voice that sing high notes and scream was the perfect complementation with the rap and sing of Mike.

I know is really hard to bring a new member but I prefer that, that they stop being the great band that they are now :c

Ps.: The most of the song that people love (not only fans) about LP are Chester's songs (WID, BTH, Numb, OSC, OML, BID, ND), that's the reality :(

I immediately thought of Mall as well as I'm a big fan of it. I think it only featured half of the band (chester mike and joe). But remember, the first and most memorable song is the one with Chester. The rest (2-3 I forget) are without him.

This is such a conflict for me. I'm a huge LP fan. I'm a fucking huge Chester fan. I would even go as far as to say I'm a bigger Chester fan than LP fan. One part of me wants them to just call it quits because Chester cannot be replaced. But another of part of me thinks it's just no fair for the rest of the guys. I mean, they have worked their butts off to be the band they are now, and it's just not fair for them to "start over" with a different name just because of what happened. Anyway, I'll support them no matter what they decide to do.

If anything I would just love it to be Mike. Gone are those heavy rock days so more songs like Invisible and Sorry for Now would be the way to go if it’s just Mike. No need for a new lead singer. Just imagining someone else taking over Chester’s place is just heartbreaking.

For me Chester is irreplaceable, the chemistry they all shared together is not some thing you can just create overnight. But I do want to see LP continue. We've already lost Chester, not having LP in my life in some kind of shape or form will hurt. It's also nice to know lplive is staying.

I'll preface this by saying i'll always support what they decide to do.

My preferred choice would be that they continue with Mike handling all vocals. Mike and Brad are just to good of a musical powerhouse to hang it up. I'd also love to see the rest of the guys continue to make music with them as well.

I also wouldn't be opposed to them being a mostly studio band with a few special shows every once in a while. I could also see this happening. They're going to want to spend more time with their families. They've said that before this unthinkable tragedy so I would totally support this as well. Maybe continue to experiment with more outside artists and have some cool vocal features. Jeff Gutt being someone that springs to mind immediately.

Any other option besides the above would be a shame. I'd hate for LP to call it quits but at the same time, i'd also understand that decision as well. Chester is irreplaceable. I don't think anyone will argue that.

I'm just rambling now though. It's going to be a while before i'm emotionally ready for new LP if it ever comes. Truth be told, I may never be ready. It's going to be an emotional gut punch hearing LP without Chester.

Linkin Park is a brand, one of the most important bands in the planet... most of the hits of LP's career are songs that Mike can't handle on his own. When he tries to sing high it's just a mess... you just have to remember the NRL live debut.. also there's no way that Mike can scream... screaming is one of the signature LP sounds .

As much as you feel nostalgic, sad.. etc Mike is a very limited singer.

Touring with guests would be the best option for me... that would be very interesting... make that happen and the guests won't feel the heat of the fan base.. what if someone actually does a great job and fans wants him to stay?

Watch Queen with Adam Lambert... it's so fuckign great... the band and fans are having a blast every night... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJ9hU4cjiA

Edited by JZE

I could be wrong but my bet is, they will continue with the name Linkin Park but will not take a new singer. I feel like even if they revived some legendary singer from the dead who could sing the songs to a perfection, he would still get booed off stage. That is how much people loved Chester and they would see replacing him as a spit to the face. At least right now and near future, i don't think people don't want to hear the old tracks sung by another singer. It would feel like "too soon" and weird. Playback for Chestert's vocals feels the correct thing to do for the moment to pay a tribute.

About the name change, we need to understand that it's not as simple to just change the name. Linkin Park is more than just a name. It's a brand that the guys have worked on for many years to achieve this massive level of global reach. I have never met someone who doesn't know Linkin Park. There's a reason STP didn't change their name either. It's not to disrespect anyone, it's just the way it goes in this business. Nobody will ever forget Chester and what he has done with the band.

Edited by Jani

I rather they change the name and get new vocalist instead of using "LINKIN PARK" name and went downhill as fans hate the ideas of new vocalist in LP. The idea of using playback for them to continue touring, it will be cool but only temporary. the excitement will not be the same.

About the name change, we need to understand that it's not as simple to just change the name.

It's also not as simple as choose another vocalist / decide about the future of the band

It's a brand that the guys have worked on for many years

Maybe it's time to build a new one.

STP didn't change their name

Or maybe LP should do the same what they did with STP "Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington", so it will be: "Linkin Park with [add your favorite vocalist here]"

I think they can contiune as LP with Chester vocals on playback, otherwise make one more big show to say goodbye and just continue the carrier as a brand new band.

It's also not as simple as choose another vocalist / decide about the future of the band

Maybe it's time to build a new one.

Or maybe LP should do the same what they did with STP "Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington", so it will be: "Linkin Park with [add your favorite vocalist here]"

I think they can contiune as LP with Chester vocals on playback, otherwise make one more big show to say goodbye and just continue the carrier as a brand new band.

I never said any of it is simple. We are not the ones to tell what they should do. Let them decide.

It's basically the reason, why this thread shouldn't exist.

I'm pretty sure this thread exists as a way for us to present our opinions and say how we feel. It's a way to vent out feelings while we wait for an actual indication of the future of LP from the band themselves, when they're ready to talk about it.

It's not literal. Nobody here expects this thread to effect their real decision. These are just fans' opinions and thoughts.

Edited by Justin

I don't really see them taking some random singer who they might not know. It is a higher risk than taking someone who is 'well-know'. They rather take Aaron from Of Mice and Men (I like him and he is a good singer and screamer) than some random cover artist from Youtube.

This is a very important point. I think they can find a way to keep with only Mike singing, but if they bring someone it will probably be a guy they already are friends with.