The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

Wow, I just came home from work thinking on this, I remember some band that similar situation It happened like AC/DC and Joy Division. Both with different ends. In my opinion the band should keep going, maybe with another name, with Mike with frontmans, since the style will be slightly different from the current one as it be hapens from cd to cd. And stay Chester's legacy on Linkin Park, just like New Order.

Put Lagacy how the new name this band lol.

Thank you and sorry for my english. Kisses from Brasil :*

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linkin Park will not be the same without Chester, but they are still Linkin Park. They will still need a creative outlet and will need our support and we will be there for them. Whatever they decide to do, I am behind them 100%. Freddie Mercury was my childhood favorite and when he died I was 13, that broke my heart, just like loosing Chester. Queen went on and I went on with them. The same will apply to Linkin Park, no matter what I will support them.

It sucks (the recent events, not the forum post) that we even have to discuss this. On one hand, it feels way too soon. On the other hand, people cope in a lot of different ways; some people can't think one second in the future, others try to resolve it immediately.

Selfishly, my preference would be Option 1 with Mike continuing to front the band. Personally, it would be most painful to see Chester outright replaced. That being said, the decision the guys make is theirs and only theirs. They don't owe the fans anything, while they are incredibly fan friendly, we are just along for the ride and I can say for my part I support their solution 100%, even if I might not like it.

Linkin Park will not be the same without Chester, but they are still Linkin Park. They will still need a creative outlet and will need our support and we will be there for them. Whatever they decide to do, I am behind them 100%.

Right. It is important to me that they continue at all.

Selfishly, my preference would be Option 1 with Mike continuing to front the band. Personally, it would be most painful to see Chester outright replaced. That being said, the decision the guys make is theirs and only theirs. They don't owe the fans anything, while they are incredibly fan friendly, we are just along for the ride and I can say for my part I support their solution 100%, even if I might not like it.

This is pretty much how if feel too.

The STP thing of course has crossed my mind. When it was happening to them I remember thinking I'd never have to be put in Scott's fans shoes.

If they continue Linkin Park without Chester and keep the name I think that's fair. We know LP has always been more Mike's then anyone else's. Will I support another vocalist... I don't know. I'd buy the next album for the other five, but right now it's too soon to imagine someone else singing.

I do think the way the band is reacting I doubt we'll get an answer on this any time soon. Everyone is still mourning.

I do hope they continue in some capacity. They are too talented to just stop now.

if they will continue making music and touring, I hope they will try to find a singer with SIMILAR voice to Chester's. Yeah its nice that Adam Lambert sings Queen songs his own way, but LP songs are too much unique and created exactly for Chester's voice. It's not impossible task, look at Alex McMilan.

Edited by mrfox

Even though I'd love to see Mike getting the spotlight on the vocals, this is realy unlikely. I mean he already showed us he can sing, but like Chester? Not even close. If he wants to replace Chester, he'd need several months to be able to perform Chester's part, IF POSSIBLE. And I really hope that I don't have to wait several months to see them performing again.

I fucking love Chester, he was the best man / idol / vocalist / rockstar etc ... for me. But I think the best way to go, is if Linkin Park call in another vocalist. I'd really love them moving on, that would make ME move on, because I'm not fine and will not be until the guys say that Linkin Park will return. If linkin park dies aswel I'll be crushed.

I hope that they will take Alex McMillan.

I know that He is totally different person than Chester, but it's not about replacing someone, it's about making Linkin Park sound like Linkin Park as much as it is possible. By the way I believe Alex is a cool guy also

This, I agree that Alex McMillan has a similar voice as Chester, hopefully he will be taken in consideration if it comes to it. I really enjoyed his covers before the account was deleted/removed.

They don't have to call in a new singer, if their mutual descision is to go on with Mike as main vocalist. They could have guests ofcourse. There are so many ways to honor and implement Chester during live shows. Mike could re-arrange certain songs to make them fit him. Like how the Final Masquarade acoustic version had Mike more as co-vocalist, while the studio version is basically Chester. Mike could do that to various songsOther songs could feature Chester on a screen or just at playback with fans filling in the parts, like how Miek just pulled the mic to the crowd during In The End this past tour.

Overall I think if they continue this will be a new chapter, they basically have to start from scratch, while also having a big legacy, with shoes they never will be able to fill. So I really expect them to go on a new course, with the legacy being enough honored. I wonder if they would be even comfortable enough to let in a new singer. But we'll see.

Edited by Jesper

They're not going to replace Chester with a new singer....think about how hard that would be for the guys to see. Mike can't handle Chesters vocals on most songs, so I'm pretty sure that's out too. Who knows, but I'm sure it will be some time before they even consider moving forward musically.

I think that a option with Mike as the front man will be the best solution. We all know that he is the mind behind most of the stuff, and i think that he a Brad can take the band in a new direction. He has proven that he can sing, not anything like Chester but that might not be necessary in the feature except live.

If he became the new front man for the band i just think that their music would adapt to that, after all they have been really good to adapting over the years to the kind of music they wanted to make at the time. In the feature this could be different (that would be in the Linkin Park and Chester's Spirit) And i don't see any reason why they wouldn't keep the Linkin Park name

And i really think that they could do some crazy things live to honor Chester and let him be part of the live set (a least for the first tour maybe)

I'm a bit of a lurker but if any of you recognise the name Cranky_Camper92 from Discord... hi guys.

For me personally, while like you, I support the band's decision 100% as I have since 2000, it is important to me that something comes out of this. I don't know what.

Mike, I'm sure, will have something to make. Let's see with the others. God I hope so, but put it this way... can anybody here see something not being released by at least Mike? I can't.

Maybe he will reignite Fort Minor, but after everything from the start up til now... Mike has always said the lines between Fort Minor and Linkin Park songs were becoming a bit blurred as time passed, so maybe now is the time to fully incorporate that.

I just really can't see this being the end. Maybe I just don't want to see that, I dunno.

Live... I'd like to see some tributes. Astat's idea is nice, and although I am hurting (so, so much), can it go on indefinitely?

Unfortunately I think we may have to see some tributes, even for a year or a few, and then hold some old classics in our hearts. These 5 guys can definitely make beautiful music and I eventually will come to accept that Chester has left us, as most of us will. I would gladly stand by whatever they decide to do and go and see them play new music, maybe with a couple of tributes in the set for the real staple songs.

EDIT: I actually really like the idea of the audience singing songs. Especially when there's a good mixture of Mike and Chester. One More Light would also be so touching EVERY time this way. Even more so than it already is I think.

As I write, this goes back to can it go on indefinitely? Yes, but only in a certain manner after the first few years.

Chester, I fucking miss you dude. You are not replaceable. That's all I have to say on that. I would rather listen to what the others have to say - about what you taught them, and maybe they can even teach us even more about you - than replace you with somebody else.

Whatever happens, this will fuel Mike and the guys to do something special (I believe). One off or not, I don't believe it's the end.

Edited by hitamonkey

I believe Chazy would love to see his bandmates keep creating music even though he's not around:(

Please keep LP with just 5 members and creating something that they can do just by 5 members.

I personally can't accept the idea of replacement for Chester.

I honestly don't care what Linkin Park does now. They can do whatever they want to do, it's their call, they have to do what feels right to them, I guess. I haven't really liked Linkin Park's music since the end of 2008 when Minutes To Midnight ended, because to me, Minutes To Midnight was their last good album and also the last good touring cycle, and it went out with a BANG with Projekt Revolution 2008 with Chris Cornell, etc.

They really have three options. They can continue on as a 5 piece band with Mike providing lead vocals, they can replace Chester with a new singer and continue making music like they were, or they can call it quits. I support any of those, however, I support replacing Chester the least, but it might be inevitable. Mike can't sing all the stuff that Chester did, and they'd have to completely change the live show to style Mike as the lead singer, which they could do if they write an entire album with Mike singing each song, they could play that album, plus a few older ones like Invisible, etc.

LP becomes FM and Mike can decide what songs to play at shows without the pressure of performing classics with new singers or backing vocals. Live shows would be a mix of LP songs (minus the ones only Chester could pull off such as Crawling, BTH, Faint, etc.) and FM songs.

Not sure if everyone would join up but I think Brad and Joe would for sure. Makes the most sense to me. Studio albums can be whatever with different collaborations because they had that on TRT.

Hey guys,

I'm new here, although been a huge LP fan since the very beginning and absolutely devastated to be even having to discuss this. I just saw this thread posted on one of the fan groups on Facebook and felt compelled to register and join here too to contribute to this thread.

As some others have said, ultimately, I would personally support LP with whatever decision they come to BUT I just hope and pray they continue in some way and don't just call it a day altogether. After extensively reading all options listed in the first post on this thread, I think out of all of them, I think I would like option 2 the best - I don't think he could ever really be replaced and all die-hard fans, like myself, I *think* would rather all back play of any Chester parts when they're playing live (which I sincerely hope they do continue to do), would seem weird if re-done by someone else. Of course moving into the future then I wouldn't object to a new fifth member joining, I just don't think I'd like to see someone singing over Chesters parts, although saying this, I would be more than happy to see Mike take his part in the live performances.

Agghh, I've contradicted myself so much as I've typed that! But that's what speaking from the heart does I suppose! :)

i feel wrong saying this, but at first, i wanted them to disband. what else could you do? there's no replacing Chester with someone else, it just would not work and I honestly can't imagine Mike singing No More Sorrow or One Step Closer.. but now I'm not that sure that's what I'd want them to do. I will respect every decision they'll make. to be honest, I'm kinda scared of the future :/

First of all they (5) need to keep making music together and of course I will support any decision and direction that they will take.
Second, Continuing to make music together, they Need a new singer, ¿why? because although Mike Sing very good right now, a voice like Chester with high notes and scream made LP what it is in these times. That variety of voices is what made LP a different band.

We know that Chester is irreplaceable and is hard thinking about that, But for the sake of the boys and for them to keep making music, I Think that The person that could fit with The band is DAN MARSALA (Story of The year). He sing beautifull and scream very good to this day (in live of course, not only studio). Also, he has a good sense of humor.

The unique thing That I dont Know if they continue with The name LINKIN PARK or change their name like RATM did to Audiosalve for example. My heart want to keep their Name, this would be like a new stage to them.

Here One of The last presentations of Dan:
(Sings at the beginning screams at the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxO8BCRXiVQ

Edited by ceZAR_LP

I don't really see them taking some random singer who they might not know. It is a higher risk than taking someone who is 'well-know'. They rather take Aaron from Of Mice and Men (I like him and he is a good singer and screamer) than some random cover artist from Youtube.

Linkin Park was already going for a super pop sound on One More Light, so do they really need a new vocalist? I don't see anything on One More Light that Mike wouldn't be able to sing. I could also see Mike being able to handle most stuff of A Thousand Suns, Living Things and some of The Hunting Party. The only really challenging stuff from Chester would be the songs on Minutes To Midnight, Meteora and Hybrid Theory. But Mike could even sing some of those albums. If they make an entire new album with Mike as lead singer, they could incorporate that whole album, as well as about ten old songs. They could easily do it. And as time goes on, keep making albums, thus adding more Mike lead songs.

The band is already 20 years into their career, I mean it's not like they're a new band. They would never be able to replicate the success of the early albums even if Chester was still alive and in the band. I think this is the most logical choice.

Keep in mind that this is also all my opinion, I think the band should do what they think is the right thing.

Linkin Park was already going for a super pop sound on One More Light, so do they really need a new vocalist? I don't see anything on One More Light that Mike wouldn't be able to sing. I could also see Mike being able to handle most stuff of A Thousand Suns, Living Things and some of The Hunting Party. The only really challenging stuff from Chester would be the songs on Minutes To Midnight, Meteora and Hybrid Theory. But Mike could even sing some of those albums. If they make an entire new album with Mike as lead singer, they could incorporate that whole album, as well as about ten old songs. They could easily do it. And as time goes on, keep making albums, thus adding more Mike lead songs.

The band is already 20 years into their career, I mean it's not like they're a new band. They would never be able to replicate the success of the early albums even if Chester was still alive and in the band. I think this is the most logical choice.

Keep in mind that this is also all my opinion, I think the band should do what they think is the right thing.

Agreed 100%. There is only one answer here to me, and it's the 5 piece answer with Mike on vocals. We'd be SURPRISED at how much of the back catalog he can already handle and plus, Mike is the master at mashups and medleys (RTN/WFTE, or Castle/HHH). As time goes on, there will only be more Mike songs created. Just think about Invisible, Sorry For Now, Roads Untraveled, Iridescent, possibly Shadow of the Day, Leave Out All The Rest, a lot of the slower stuff Mike can handle no problem. Possibly Papercut, possibly Points. Nothing with screaming.

Mike knows how to mash songs up, or maybe even put a rap bridge where there was heavy screaming before.

Maybe close it with In The End full song each show and the crowd sings the Chester parts.

I see no way Mike can't handle this himself, it's too far into their career to bring in someone new. Mike is majority songwriter already in the band....there are potential top 10 hits and albums still waiting to be made. He can get it done and I'm with it 100%. The dynamic and chemistry just won't be there if they bring someone in. It's a very UNIQUE case where this happens to a band and they have two vocalists that can both SING.