The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

Again, no way LP takes some random dude from YouTube who made good covers of LP songs.

They rather take Oli Sykes from BMTH than dudes off YouTube.

I mean, LP is not an underground band where it doesn't matter too much who their singer is. But if they wanna take someone else, they take someone who is well known in the buisness and already have great live performances.

Why not? Adam Lambert was not well known until he joined Queen...I do understand he's not there to replace Freddie, and that wasn't even the point but he does the job just like Alex.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Mike can probably sing a lot of songs, but can he sing for so long in a live concert? Yes he does rap for full concerts but singing is a different thing entirely. I guess we can't know that till they try it. I would still prefer Linkin Park + new singer so they can have more songs in their list. Also, PLEASE no hologram. That thing is really creepy.

I think they should continue under another name. Linkin Park just isn't Linkin Park without Chester.

Mike has earned his stripes,I got huge respect for him since he did "Hands held high".It would be a shame if he doesn't continue singing,and same goes for the rest of the band

Side note : Of course I (as a fan) would love to sing with Linkin Park :blush:. I knew Linkin Park lyrics before I knew how to read,but as a younger female I don't think I would fit with the rest,and I'd never be able to fill Chester's shoes :(

Whatever the band decides to do,I'd still be a fan. :wub:

I know that Mike can probably sing a lot of songs, but can he sing for so long in a live concert? Yes he does rap for full concerts but singing is a different thing entirely. I guess we can't know that till they try it. I would still prefer Linkin Park + new singer so they can have more songs in their list. Also, PLEASE no hologram. That thing is really creepy.

He sounds fine singing Invisible live. He sounded fine singing In Between live in 2008. Haven't kept up much with what the band does live since 2008 but he probably sounds just as good live on the other stuff. Mike has always been pretty solid live from what I remember.

People are also forgetting, they don't need to do this huge set if they did play live. Like there's nothing wrong with a short set at all. I prefer short sets to live sets anyways, but that's just my personal opinion. Get a ten song set and play intimate venues across the world. Pick ten songs that mean something and that Mike can do.80% of the music on ATS, LT, and OML would be easy for Mike as nothing on those albums were very challenging to sing. Even the screaming on those albums were pretty easy. We're not talking Given Up here.

He sounds fine singing Invisible live. He sounded fine singing In Between live in 2008. Haven't kept up much with what the band does live since 2008 but he probably sounds just as good live on the other stuff. Mike has always been pretty solid live from what I remember.

People are also forgetting, they don't need to do this huge set if they did play live. Like there's nothing wrong with a short set at all. I prefer short sets to live sets anyways, but that's just my personal opinion. Get a ten song set and play intimate venues across the world. Pick ten songs that mean something and that Mike can do.80% of the music on ATS, LT, and OML would be easy for Mike as nothing on those albums were very challenging to sing. Even the screaming on those albums were pretty easy. We're not talking Given Up here.

You are crazy a band like Linkin Park won't play 10 song sets.

Mike struggles a lot when he tries to sing high like when he tried NRL he sounded awful.

But that was also 6 years ago. Sorry For Now and Invisible are pretty good, IMO. Invisible live was fine.

But that also isn't a full set. We will see.

No Roads Left is hard to sing, that's why Mike had problems with it. Invisible and In Between for example, seem to suit his vocal style much better. There are also many demos and other tracks in which Mike sings, and it sounds fine to me. Look at something like Devil's Drop for example. That's a beautiful song, all sang by Mike. Obviously the band would write new songs with Mike's singing in mind, which could add 12 or more songs to a set, even. Plus he also has a TON of songs he could rap, from the LP world, as well as the FM world. A 25 song set is possible, maybe even more.

People underestimate Mike severely. I'm not even a huge Shinoda fan like a lot of others, but even I know that he is capable of much more than people give him credit for. Obviously he won't be able to sing shit like Chester did. Nobody is expecting him to. Nobody in the world can sing like Chester. But they could SURELY improvise a lot of older songs, especially the rap heavy ones of the old days, as well as newer slower songs, plus new songs, etc. Hell, throw in a cover if you want, he covered Just Like Heaven and Umbrella in 2008 and they sounded good.

If scoring a 2nd place on American Idol means a fame to you...then yes, he was well-known then. lol

Adam was a HUGE deal when he was on Idol. Introduced a lot of new viewers to the show and generated a buzz not seen since the days of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. He also had two Top 40 singles (one that peaked at #10) before joining Queen.

Days ago, I talked to a friend of mine and he is a big fan of AC/DC like me with LP and he said me: "They should pick another vocalist and keep the name, AC/DC did the same and continued doing music"
All we know that Chester is irreplaceable, he was not only a voice, also charisma and the soul of LP, but all of you are debating about setlist in concert but the real thing is that the music of LP is something out of the ordinary and their greatest hits happened thanks to the Chester's voice. So, if we want to LP keep doing amazing hits, they need to pick a new singer. A singer with a great voice (sing and scream).
Dan Marsala is still my #1 pick
More after listen to this that he recorded this year: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQZZorthSWS/?taken-by=danmarsala
Reminded me a little bit the type of scream in "blackout"

I honestly don't see why, in that amount of certain, they need a new singer. Hell, they are five talented guys. Plus, Mike is a genius. They could put out something very easily, making the crowd sing some of the well-known Chester's parts (In The End, Faint, hell... even One Step Closer could work out).

There's a future for the band. For Linkin Park. Let them take whatever time they think it is necessary to clear up their minds as much as possible and, when the time comes, I'm sure the fanbase will be there supporting the decision they take.

I honestly don't see why, in that amount of certain, they need a new singer. Hell, they are five talented guys. Plus, Mike is a genius. They could put out something very easily, making the crowd sing some of the well-known Chester's parts (In The End, Faint, hell... even One Step Closer could work out).

There's a future for the band. For Linkin Park. Let them take whatever time they think it is necessary to clear up their minds as much as possible and, when the time comes, I'm sure the fanbase will be there supporting the decision they take.

You have a big point here, the band is talented enough to pull of a nice show as a 5 piece. Ok, Mike can t sing OSC, GATS or Given Up as an example but he can adjust songs as he already did. Remember the mashups in the solo medleys, the intro ( who the hell other than Mike could think about a mix of RU and Fallout?) and stuff like that. Chester passed away but LP in some form is not dead.

I probably said that a thousand times. If I am such a hardcore fan and after a long break, LP finally performs again - No matter what the hell they are playing, it could be the slowest or heaviest and shortest or longest setlist, I'd be glad to see them on stage after such a tragedy.

No one can expect them to perform, to be honest. If they say we are done, they are done. But if they decide to perform as 5 then the last thing you should do is to complain about their damn setlist, cause it is already tough enough for them to be on stage without Chester.

Nothing on Japan yet. There has to for sure be a date somewhere in the next two months where there is a cut off for loading their production/sound/lights/gear on boats and shipping it to Japan. And the decision has to be made before that happens. I think if they have not canceled it yet, they are at least considering playing the Japan shows...at least in my opinion.

The complaints about what the band performs live should cease for the rest of their career IMO. I like the Europe set a lot. Mike added the heavier songs for the fans too.

the SOTY guy? great vocals but I have to listen to his singing voice.

yes, and also did a tour with them.

There are not many videos in good quality, but this concert is from 2016:

In this song he sing and scream a little bit: https://youtu.be/EYoly-tdUxM?t=1h24m14s

In this song he sing and scream at the same time: https://youtu.be/EYoly-tdUxM?t=17m4s

As much as I hate to say it, they're going to have to get a new singer if they want to continue being a touring band that routinely puts out studio recorded music as well. The more I think about it each day, Mike can't possibly be the solo vocalist of the band. Live is a whole different ballgame. Mike cannot sing many of the older songs. Even the slower ones, they need a very powerful voice, like Chester's. You also have to factor in performing them each night on tour, in succession. A lot of songs also go from Mike's rapping or singing, straight into a big chorus from Chester.

Japan hasn't been cancelled yet, so it's very likely they are debating on whether or not to play the shows. They could have easily found a frontman by now, or by November. Many fans will probably not accept it, but I don't understand why. Chester was never the original singer for Linkin Park in the first place. He didn't even really contribute all that much to the actual song writing of Linkin Park, right? Mike and Brad were always the primary song writers, and Chester would basically just come in when needed and record his parts. I support them if they continue on with a new vocalist. I likely will no longer go to the shows or buy anything, but I won't be one of those people who are pissed off that they replaced Chester. It's inevitable. To me, it's either break up the band, or find a new vocalist.

Edited by Geki

I disagree completely. Also, Don Gilmore said Chester did a LARGE part of songwriting on Hybrid Theory and it wasn't until Meteora that Mike really took over. I'm still on the board that they can continue as 5, look at the custom setlists thread, TONS of live material in there for Mike. We will see what happens, but I would bet money they don't get a new singer. Seems illogical at this point to me.

I disagree completely. Also, Don Gilmore said Chester did a LARGE part of songwriting on Hybrid Theory and it wasn't until Meteora that Mike really took over. I'm still on the board that they can continue as 5, look at the custom setlists thread, TONS of live material in there for Mike. We will see what happens, but I would bet money they don't get a new singer. Seems illogical at this point to me.

The band, specially Mike believes that people come to the show to see them play their hits, they care A LOT about their average fans just look at their most recent set it's packed with singles where Chester was needed, there's no way that Mike can do that on his own, they need a powerful voice with a great range.

I've seen your setlist and it's pretty awesome that would be really cool, tons of songs that people like us would love to hear.

I don't know how average fans would react to that.

What I mean is that Chester didn't need to be as present as the other members in the studio. You're right that Chester wrote on HT, Meteora and MTM (as shown in the MTM DVD). But during the recording process for A Thousand Suns, Chester was recording Out Of Ashes and touring Out Of Ashes until about March 2010. He was also writing and recording with Stone Temple Pilots during the process for The Hunting Party throughout 2013 and some of 2014. Living Things was basically just a bunch of songs from the ATS Sessions that were re-worked, with a few new ones, that Mike and Brad came up with, mostly the folky stuff. Just to me, it seems like he wasn't as involved with Linkin Park as the rest of the band in the later albums.

And as for the live show, Joze is actually right. Many people DO want to hear the singles for the most part, especially the early ones, that are hard to sing. Will Mike feel comfortable singing every single one live every night? Does he even want to be a lead singer? I guess time will tell. But I do think finding a new vocalist would probably be their best option if they plan on still being a band after something like this.

Edited by Geki

I just think it's pointless to search for Youtube cover guys. If you think of how much of a family they were, that makes no sense. I guess they will either grieve and have Mike on lead or bring someone who is already a friend, which narrows down the options a lot.