The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

This is actually incorrect. You're 100% within your right to criticize an album if you feel it's not to your tastes but claiming that it's "factually bad" is incredibly asinine.

That's a good way to put it. It's ok to not like it or criticize it but there's always someone out there that will. Music is 100% subjective, right? I think Chester's issue with people was that people were saying it was a decision made by the label or by the band to sell more albums. I don't think that's true at all, I think anything Linkin Park did was definitely their choice, and they always liked changing stuff up with each album. But I also don't think any of it contributed to Chester's suicide, I don't think Chester was even thinking about any of that shit at all in his final days, he has been suffering for MANY years with a lot of issues, like decades, so I guess it just finally caught up with him, but I don't think any of that stuff contributed.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still stand by my opinion that music is entirely subjective though.

It absolutely is. I know people who love the first 2 LP albums the most, and I also know people who love OML and ATS the most. It's incorrect to claim any music to be good OR bad as a fact.

I also agree that the lack of closure is one of the toughest parts of all of this, especially with how often Chester spoke about the future towards the end.

I realize that at the end of the day we're fans, and we only see what Chester chose to put out to the public, but his interviews seemed really happy and hopeful for things to come. He honestly seemed to me to be happier than he had been since...maybe forever. You're right in what you said... his suicide left everyone in pain and with questions that will never be able to be answered. It's one of those things that in time we will HAVE to accept in order to move on.

sucks being honest on a forum full of fanboys.

claiming a review is subjective is the same as saying the review is biased. subjectivity has no place in reviews as it allows personal views to dictate the direction of your conclusion. Taste is subjective, and sure some subjectivity is allowed when reviewing, but you have to be overwhelmingly objective when your review is not just personal.

Based on reviews for OML, the vast majority consensus is that it's not a very good album. average at best.

it's one of their worst reviewed album to date, i'm sorry that this seems to be hard to digest for some of you but facts are facts.

if we do not critically evaluate what we consume, we are no better than sheep.

I believe the band will continue, with the same name and probably only the 5 members

To change a name in which Chester was chosen would be an offense, to keep the name, to keep and honor Chester's legacy, the united band is a legacy of his work, to disunity is to throw away everything they have built, of course it will not be the same thing , It's not about being equal to before, but it's about being strong and moving forward

Death should not triumph over the legacy

claiming a review is subjective is the same as saying the review is biased. subjectivity has no place in reviews as it allows personal views to dictate the direction of your conclusion. Taste is subjective, and sure some subjectivity is allowed when reviewing, but you have to be overwhelmingly objective when your review is not just personal.

Based on reviews for OML, the vast majority consensus is that it's not a very good album. average at best.

it's one of their worst reviewed album to date, i'm sorry that this seems to be hard to digest for some of you but facts are facts.

Make up your mind instead of relying on what others say. I give zero shit about what other people think of the music I listen to, as long as I like it, it's good.

Here we go with the "fanboys" bullshit. How dense can you be? Reviews will always be subjective no matter who it's done by. Period. Yes, there will be some bias involved from time to time, but at the end of the day, no matter how "professional" the person comes across, they will give their final verdict on the matter based on their own tastes.

"OML wasn't a very good album, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. That's just a fact."

Please, save yourself the embarrassment and think before you speak.

I think something important that people need to remember is that my opinion that only the first three albums are good, to me personally, is 100% fine too, just like people who like the new album, all albums, etc. Linkin Park has different era's, you're gonna have fans of all.

AKA sucks thinking that your opinion (or I guess the opinions of others?) are facts

Um, reviews are always going to be subjective. Someone's personal taste will always dictate the direction a review will take. And saying a review is subjective is the same as a review being biased is just wrong. Yes, there should be some objectivity in a review, as little as there really can be in a field where it is literally giving thoughts on a piece of art, but the verdict will always be subjective.

So, our basis for what is good and isn't good needs to be "proven correct" by reviewers? Alright, pack it up then. No point in actually listening for yourself. Wonder Woman is objectively a better film than 90% of the MCU. A Thousand Suns is barely above mediocre.

If that's not what you were trying to say, why bring it up at all? Is it a fact that critics didn't like it? Yeah. Is it a fact that because of that, the album is bad? Not even close. Critics not liking an album doesn't make it objectively bad. THAT is a fact.

You know what, I agree here. Blindly loving or hating something just because it's by a certain artist or is in a certain genre is dumb. However that isn't what's happening here, and it feels intellectually dishonest to claim that it is.

Reviews are based on that persons personal taste. I liked OML the songs kinda meant something to me and i felt it more as i lost someone few months before the album, so the album meant something personal to me. But if I hadn't lost that person I probably would have had a totally different outlook of the album. But who cares what other ppl judge or think if u like something great if u don't fine but just cause you think something doesn't mean its fact and other ppl are sheep

I'm not sure there's any concrete confirmation that the band is continuing in their statement. "Building the future" could mean they might be discussing different possibilities for continuing but doesn't necessarily mean it'll work out. I hope they give it a shot.

I am interested to see what the band is going to do... And hope they decide by the end of 2017. I probably won't be a ''fan'', but I just want some closure on the future.

Edited by Geki

If they do continue, I see them being more of a studio band who plays smaller shows from time to time. It won't be nearly the same.

I see them starting off with small shows like brixton show they did. Maybe like lp underground tours. But I could see them hitting the studio first as writing music is a good way to heal so could see them going in and writing some songs. Probably releasing demos and songs with Chester on while they figure things out

Edited by HAARP

You can't replace Chester. That is impossible. I agree with Geki, they should continue as a 5 piece. Mike leads and Phoenix backing vocals. BUT they need a new keyboard player. Mike can't plays the keyboards and sing at the same time.

Not necessarily. If they continue as a 5-piece with Mike on lead vocals, then they automatically will have to retire a lot of the older and heavier material right away.

Most of the already existing material they play would be the songs that Mike already sung lead on as well as possibly some of the more doable Chester songs. From there obviously they would have whatever new songs they make in the future.

If that is indeed the case, remember that Mike already plays keyboard and sings live for some songs. Iridescent, COG, etc. He could just keep doing that... They could just rearrange their setup on stage in order to have Mike front and center with his keyboard/other equipment at standing level.

Worst case scenario? They could just use playback for the parts that he would have too much trouble playing while also singing. I don't think they need to add an entirely new member to the band just to play keyboard.

I agree completely with Justin. No one would ever complain if something got sampled or if Mike even needed Benjamin to step out in front of Joe's stand to play a part of a song on guitar while Mike is on vocals (seems unlikely, but then again, whatever works for them).

The band is extremely flexible with what they can do at this point to continue on stage live. The number one person I'd want to figure this out (as badly as that sounds) is Mike. He will get it done.

I'm happy with the band as a 5 piece fact is chesters loss was a punch in the fucking stomach it hurt and still dose. And I've realised if LP called it a day as well well shit that would be like another loss to me. Yeah seeing them would be weird without chester as his presence on stage was magical he was a born front man but i still need LP. I still wanna go to there shows and see the rest of the band on stage sing my heart out to whatever songs they played I'd go and sing for chester cause chester wouldn't want to take away LP from the rest of the band he would want them to be happy and do whatever made them happy

No news about these Japan dates? Werent we about to get some news about an update for these shows soon by the promoter?

Yes. Looks like they are going to play them as the tickets are still for sale after it's been 5 weeks now, and LP made that statement saying they're going to build the future of the band.

Yes. Looks like they are going to play them as the tickets are still for sale after it's been 5 weeks now, and LP made that statement saying they're going to build the future of the band.

What does ''build the future of the band'' mean, though? Are they going to be equipped to play huge venues in Japan? Are they continuing as a 5 piece now, or are they replacing Chester with a new vocalist? I know it's early to ask all of this stuff, but it's been over a month now since Chester passed, and these shows are coming up in a few months time. I guess time will tell. But I am intrigued.

In my opinion there will be no shows until next summer. Only show this year will be tribute concert for Chester in LA. Japan shows are too early for them.

In my opinion there will be no shows until next summer. Only show this year will be tribute concert for Chester in LA. Japan shows are too early for them.

I don't think that will be a concert in LA. I could be wrong, but the wording of the announcement didn't make me think it would be a musical performance.