The Future Of Linkin Park (Discussion)

RogueSoul

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think a hologram is a good idea....you're an idiot. That would be a disgrace. And can we please stop pretending that Mike can sing Chester's parts in any of the old songs. Nothing against Mike, but he simply wouldn't be able to do it. I have no clue what is gonna happen, but I'm sure they'll find a way to respectfully and smartly continue.

If you think a hologram is a good idea....you're an idiot. That would be a disgrace. And can we please stop pretending that Mike can sing Chester's parts in any of the old songs. Nothing against Mike, but he simply wouldn't be able to do it. I have no clue what is gonna happen, but I'm sure they'll find a way to respectfully and smartly continue.

I agree with you. I cringe at the thought of that ever happening.

Yeah, leave the hologram thing to like...Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Tupac. This is a completely different type of scenario.

I don't think changing the band's name should be a requirement. For one, there already were numerous Linkin Park songs that featured little or no vocal input from Chester while he was alive, and they were still Linkin Park songs. On top of that, as with any situation like this involving a band that has ascended to this level of the music industry, it's not just a band, it's a brand and business, and obviously SOMETHING has to be figured out as to what to do with it moving forward, music or no music.

On the other hand, just given the fact that I REALLY can't see them truly "replacing" Chester in the sense that they just go out and find another singer...if the band continues, particularly as a touring act, they're almost going to have to "reboot" their live show for the simple fact that they can't exactly go on tour and play a bunch of old songs without Chester to sing them. They'd almost have to put 90% of their back catalog behind them and tour based off a select few Mike-centric songs and new music. In that sense, it would almost be like a new band because they wouldn't really be playing all the old Linkin Park hits on tour anymore. Maybe a name change would make sense to go along with a mostly-fresh start, if they choose to go that route...but I don't think they should HAVE to change the name either if they don't want to.

Edited by Astat

All of this is fucking depressing, taken me a long while to start accepting it.

First and foremost no one can replace Chester, he was an icon, an amazing vocalist and a fantastic person. But the rest of the band are also great guys who deserve to continue their career in time, I'm sure that's what Chester would want.

I wouldn't want to see a hologram used, nor do I think a replacement could do most of the old songs justice, at least not in an emotional sense. So I can only really see the band continuing to play old Mike centric songs along with a bunch of new ones, which could either be with a new lead vocalist or a selection of guests.

In terms of old material they could still potentially play, there are the obvious earlier rapped ones like Step Up, High Voltage and It's Going Down, plus a few later ones that feature Mike on lead such as In Between, Hands Held High, No Roads Left, Roads Untraveled, Skin To Bone, Until It Breaks, Rebellion (with an altered bridge) Invisible and Sorry For Now. Maybe a few Fort Minor songs as well. That could fill more then half a set. You also have a couple of old favorites that could work especially with crowd participation, Papercut being one that springs to mind and In the End, where the crowd tends to sing Chester's parts very loudly and could be a nice nostalgic tribute to keep in the set.

Yeah, leave the hologram thing to like...Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Tupac. This is a completely different type of scenario.

I don't think changing the band's name should be a requirement. For one, there already were numerous Linkin Park songs that featured little or no vocal input from Chester while he was alive, and they were still Linkin Park songs. On top of that, as with any situation like this involving a band that has ascended to this level of the music industry, it's not just a band, it's a brand and business, and obviously SOMETHING has to be figured out as to what to do with it moving forward, music or no music.

On the other hand, just given the fact that I REALLY can't see them truly "replacing" Chester in the sense that they just go out and find another singer...if the band continues, particularly as a touring act, they're almost going to have to "reboot" their live show for the simple fact that they can't exactly go on tour and play a bunch of old songs without Chester to sing them. They'd almost have to put 90% of their back catalog behind them and tour based off a select few Mike-centric songs and new music. In that sense, it would almost be like a new band because they wouldn't really be playing all the old Linkin Park hits on tour anymore. Maybe a name change would make sense to go along with a mostly-fresh start, if they choose to go that route...but I don't think they should HAVE to change the name either if they don't want to.

They made music before Chester, and they can make music again without Chester. Yes, obviously it will be MUCH different, and they'll have to completely revamp the live show. I can see Mike still being able to sing quite a few of the big hits on his own, or letting the crowd sing the big choruses with him. It will for sure be different and I may not love it, but I haven't loved Linkin Park shit in a long time anyways.

Edited by Geki

Great posts. I agree with Astat and Alex, and Geki.

And can we please stop pretending that Mike can sing Chester's parts in any of the old songs. Nothing against Mike, but he simply wouldn't be able to do it.

You're pretty ignorant and/or unaware of the back catalog of music if you think Mike can't sing the songs mentioned above. There is quite a bit he can actually sing, from Iridescent to Rebellion to Roads Untraveled to all the stuff Alex listed.

Reboot the live show with the stuff Mike CAN do comfortably, add the new music when the time comes, toss in a Fort Minor song or two, and it's good to go. That's a full set....easily. Like it was also mentioned, In the End is the #1 most guaranteed song in the catalog they can perform in full without touching a single thing, because the crowd sings SO loudly at every show. Close the show with it if you want. I think this is the most obvious way forward. We will see.

You're pretty ignorant and/or unaware of the back catalog of music if you think Mike can't sing the songs mentioned above. There is quite a bit he can actually sing, from Iridescent to Rebellion to Roads Untraveled to all the stuff Alex listed. Reboot the live show with the stuff Mike CAN do comfortably, add the new music when the time comes, toss in a Fort Minor song or two, and it's good to go. That's a full set....easily. Like it was also mentioned, In the End is the #1 most guaranteed song in the catalog they can perform in full without touching a single thing, because the crowd sings SO loudly at every show. Close the show with it if you want. I think this is the most obvious way forward. We will see.

I've made a setlist with the songs that Mike and band can handle easily: http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7&p=278776

I was working on it for almost an hour and I noticed that there were even some songs that I didn't include in this setlist, for example "Step Up"... Of course, I'll respect every decision that the band will make but I hope they'll continue because they have a lot of ways to handle the shows without Chester. ;) I agree with you.

I've made a setlist with the songs that Mike and band can handle easily: http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7&p=278776

I was working on it for almost an hour and I noticed that there were even some songs that I didn't include in this setlist, for example "Step Up"... Of course, I'll respect every decision that the band will make but I hope they'll continue because they have a lot of ways to handle the shows without Chester. ;) I agree with you.

That set would be awesome for me tons of deep cuts but I wonder if thay would work for regular fans.

Jeff Gutt is still my #1 pick

He just covered Numb, sounds great that guy is a pro.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1113775658755042&id=177832955682655

Again, no way LP takes some random dude from YouTube who made good covers of LP songs.

They rather take Oli Sykes from BMTH than dudes off YouTube.

I mean, LP is not an underground band where it doesn't matter too much who their singer is. But if they wanna take someone else, they take someone who is well known in the buisness and already have great live performances.

Personally, even Aaron from Of Mice&Men is not a bad choice, if they decide to 'replace' Chester. He already sang LOATR and that he can scream (Of couse Chester irreplaceable when it comes to screams) is not a question since he screams all old Of M&M stuff

I still take the option, that Mike take over, even if he often said that after Mark left that they don't think that he alone is good enough.

Jeff Gutt is the STP singer if I am not mistaken, right?

"i wouldnt be surprised if Linkin Park reached out to you "when they are ready" to be the next singer to fill that impossible hole."
Jeff Gutt
I don't want that gig. Zero interest. But thx for the kind words.

I hate the idea of replacing Chester but if they did, I imagine it'd be someone who is a friend of the band. Someone they've thanked in their albums and has been around them for years. Not a YouTube cover person.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

I think if they replaced Chester a lot of people would really not be interested in it. He's someone that is truly irreplaceable. Mike is the man's soul mate, I can't even think Mike would fathom the idea of replacing him at all.

I think Mike will go to FM next. No pressure to play LP songs at shows. Can get whatever guest collab he wants on vocals.

In time as the band need time. I'd prefer the idea of just mike I'm cool and want lp to continue but with mike as main man I don't like the idea of replacing Chester it can't be done. And mike could totally carry the band plus I honestly feel the band still has so mich to give and has big albums left in them to make. But only time will tell now

Great posts. I agree with Astat and Alex, and Geki.

You're pretty ignorant and/or unaware of the back catalog of music if you think Mike can't sing the songs mentioned above. There is quite a bit he can actually sing, from Iridescent to Rebellion to Roads Untraveled to all the stuff Alex listed.

Reboot the live show with the stuff Mike CAN do comfortably, add the new music when the time comes, toss in a Fort Minor song or two, and it's good to go. That's a full set....easily. Like it was also mentioned, In the End is the #1 most guaranteed song in the catalog they can perform in full without touching a single thing, because the crowd sings SO loudly at every show. Close the show with it if you want. I think this is the most obvious way forward. We will see.

Ignorant? Really? You think Mike is singing the HT and Meteora songs? Because that's what I meant. Mike isn't singing the hook on Faint, sorry, it's not happening. A majority of the songs that the crowd goes nuts for, Mike can't handle. You're foolish to think otherwise.

How in the world can anyone assume without context included by you that you are only referencing two of the band's seven+ albums?

The Hybrid Theory and Meteora selection is pretty limited, definitely, but there are five other albums...over double that, with massive songs, etc no problem.

How in the world can anyone assume without context included by you that you are only referencing two of the band's seven+ albums?

The Hybrid Theory and Meteora selection is pretty limited, definitely, but there are five other albums...over double that, with massive songs, etc no problem.

Exactly. I knew what you meant in your original post on it. The band have so much music on MTM, ATS, LT and OML that Mike could handle. He could even probably do All For Nothing, Until It's Gone and Final Masquerade off of THP. They have a lot of songs that weren't on main albums that he could do. They could make a set out of that all, for sure. Now, yes, it will be MUCH different, obviously. But c'mon. I know Mike won't scream shit like Faint or Given Up, but they have so much to their catalog that doesn't require that. The only songs they played on their current tour that had screaming were literally only OSC, Faint and BIO. And the crowd could honestly sing those parts. It's all about improv, and Mike is the master of it.

Edited by Geki

Jeff Gutt is the STP singer if I am not mistaken, right?

It was only a rumour.

"i wouldnt be surprised if Linkin Park reached out to you "when they are ready" to be the next singer to fill that impossible hole."
Jeff Gutt
I don't want that gig. Zero interest. But thx for the kind words

He kinda said that he's not looking for the chance, like trying to impress the band or something.

It would be totally different if the band contacts him.

Thanks for the shoutout, Rogue. Just got to reading this. As awesome as it would be to have a chance to perform with LP, the different guest vocalists really seems like the best route imo. Gives a lot of people the opportunity to continue Chester's legacy. A tad selfish on my end, but I just really want the band to keep going in some form...

They could play songs in a different tuning or different arrangement.

Also, Mike isn't the only member in the band. One of the other guys could help him with vocals.

Of course none of them are as good as Chester, but we know they all can sing.

Not sure how accurate this is, but Brad once said Joe has a pretty good singing voice.

If they needed someone to replace any of them as instrumentalist while they sing, they have Warren (DJ and drummer) and Benjamin (guitarist) who always rehearse with them and know all their songs.