New Linkin Park Remix Album: "RECHARGED"

Stranger

Yeah, definitely buying the CD. 500 dollars is way too much for me to ever spend on anything like this. It looks cool, but I wouldn't use it, and it'd just sit and collect dust in my room like most of my LP stuff that I collect. I'm also not into Vinyl's (the only one I own is a Reanimation vinyl), so that doesn't interest me much. I'll buy the CD.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maik_gianino brought up a good point at the top of the page that some of us (and yes, that includes me) should think about - the casual fan, the ones that aren't trying to scrape together the money to buy that stupid deluxe edition, the ones who haven't heard 7 of the 15 tracks on the remix album. They're the ones that are excited about this. We don't have to be, and quite frankly, I'm pretty sure the band doesn't care that much if the jaded mega-fan buys this album or not.

it's a fair point, but it begs the question - who is that expensive box-set for? if the mega-fan has already heard most of the remixes, and the casual fan is simply not that fussed, then neither is going to put the money together for it... unless, of course, it's for the whole "yeah, I totally have the box-set" vacuous rich ****er vibe :lol:

I'm honestly not complaining about the price because it's my choice not to buy, but this balance of casual fan/hardcore fan/price interests me.

what I would personally like to see is a "customisable" box - you choose the bits you want from the box and they ship that. I'm sure that the globe pushes the price way up, when really all I'd be buying for is the art book, instant download and the CD...

in a similar vein, it irks me a little that the vinyl doesn't come with a cd in a little plastic slip-case. I think every album I've bought on vinyl has included this and it's a bit tough to have to pick between decent quality or file portability.

also, the recharge game was definitely giving points away - they probably overestimated the game's popularity and then found the counter wasn't moving fast enough to coincide with the single release :P

That globe is definitely the majority of the price. The ATS box subbed in a 2x vinyl set instead of the globe and cut the price by 400 bucks.

Like I said in the Shoutbox, with the limited number being so low, it'll definitely sell out by the end of the week - I've seen it happen with NIN's Ghosts I-IV, and that was 2500 copies. In a day.

It is interesting to think about what sort of people will be buying this, however - clearly, the majority of fans here (who are people that I'd call 'mega-fans') don't care that there's content we've already heard on this album - they're going to buy it in some format either way. Surely there are plenty of people on here that can afford something like that, not to speak of the mega-fans on LPA, or ones that don't frequent a forum at all. 500 is a number that can easily be filled.

But then again, LP's fanbase is younger overall, while NIN's isn't, especially not in 2008, so perhaps that comparison isn't as accurate as I would hope.

Are iTunes preorders up yet?

Really not going to buy it, I can't even afford to rejoin LPU right now!

It is what it is, I probably would have bought it a few years ago when I had no financial commitments, I don't doubt people will snap them up because there's always someone that can.

I feel fairly secure in my 'mega-fan' status without having to own this!

In comparison to other musicians/bands LP are still good value for money.

I shall buy the CD.

(Also my bf would just despair if I tried to display a 'crystal ball' in our house)

Really not going to buy it, I can't even afford to rejoin LPU right now!

It is what it is, I probably would have bought it a few years ago when I had no financial commitments, I don't doubt people will snap them up because there's always someone that can.

I feel fairly secure in my 'mega-fan' status without having to own this!

In comparison to other musicians/bands LP are still good value for money.

I shall buy the CD.

(Also my bf would just despair if I tried to display a 'crystal ball' in our house)

Lol my girlfriend wouldn't like the crystal ball either. She hates my CDs on the shelf all 400 linkin park ones .... Lol. Did anyone buy this yet?? I haven't and I think I won't. Way too expensive... Says a lot coming from me. Anything over 500$ should be like limited to 25 like an original htep. Can't be more than 25 originals kicking around. A lot got thrown out ...

What the fuck at the box set. I'll pick the CD up if it's good. Need to hear the other remixes first because every remix under the LT subscription save one have been absolutely terrible.

Same. Of the stuff we have heard so far, the only track I like is "A Light That Never Comes." I think I'll pick and choose when it comes out on iTunes. This will be the first LP album I don't purchase, based on the "generic B-Side remix" vibe the LT subscription tracks had.

“Anybody who bought Living Things on our website directly from us at LinkinPark.com, they got a remix a month for like six months, which is really pretty cool. But in order to get those remixes [to send out] for the six months, we got tons and tons of remixes,” Shinoda elaborated. “We ended up with a bunch of different [remixes] that people have still not heard, and we’re actually going to be putting them together on a remix album, Recharged [set for release on October 29].

Source.

Mike commented on twitter (it appears to have been deleted since) that the price is realistic considering how much it cost to make. considering the globe, I'm inclined to believe him - ferrofluid, glass, 3d scultping all adds up, and were not even talking about the production of the art book, box, stylus and CD yet...

Mike commented on twitter (it appears to have been deleted since) that the price is realistic considering how much it cost to make. considering the globe, I'm inclined to believe him - ferrofluid, glass, 3d scultping all adds up, and were not even talking about the production of the art book, box, stylus and CD yet...

$500 isn't insane for the item idea, design and exclusivity. It is insane for this arena of merchandise. If Mike were to sell these at his art show, sure it's pricey, but there is a different market. IDK I guess you could second guess that either way. I dropped $500 on an Ace of Spades print at the first show, don't regret it. It's also fucking huge on my wall so it doesn't go unnoticed. A little Xmas ornament sized item would probably stay in the box.

My problem with that price is that in my opinion every fan who wants it should be able to buy it. That means if someone really wants it he can go ahead and say "well it costs a shitload of money but it's worth it for me so I won't buy other stuff for the next few weeks. In the end it's my favorite band and I want to sacrifice some stuff for it".

But with this price it is pretty much not affordable for a lot of fans. 420€ is all my money for one month for example. I guess that's a bit too high and it separates the bands into rich ones who can afford this and people who would love to buy it but simply can't. not cool.

C'mon, I know the price is high but the "rich and poor" thing has been always there. Tons of people complain that they can't even afford the LPU membership. Also a shitload of people don't even pay for the standard albums.

It's the exact same thing for movies, there's the normal editions, the super expensive limited special editions. It's for a matter of if you want the normal one or if you want the fancy thing.

If the Recharged thing is made of expensive materials so be it, you can't also expect them to sell it below value.

I feel sorry for the hardcore collectors though.

Yeah, selling an item like this at a loss wouldn't make sense. Even now the profit margin probably isn't all that high.

They'll end up taking a loss on it anyway, in all likelihood. I doubt they end up selling 100 of these before dropping the price.

I feel sorry for the hardcore collectors though.

As someone who has begun collecting recently, it is a pain. I have made sure to save up money for the LPU each year (minus LPU11) and any other exclusives but this one goes above and beyond. Especially for a university student, that could pay for a fair chunk of rent, or a paper at University.

The price is definitely understandable though, and I will be investing in the CD & Vinyl. I'm looking forward to hearing the VICTIMIZED remix especially. This remix is being seriously underplayed for the time being. Nobody has said a lot about it but I can't wait.

Mike said earlier that the extra stuff (globe thing/sculpture) were to cost.

But it is strange because I really don't know who they're trying to market it to. I'm sure if it was under $200 a significant amount of people would buy it. I would say a lot of LP fans are in their twenties dealing with living on their own for the first time and/or college, and then teens who won't be able to get that amount of cash. I remember the auction items would sell pretty high, but charity might have been an incentive there. And then casual fans might get the cd, I highly doubt they'll spend $500 for an art book and stuff.

As for the cd (the only thing I might afford lol) I'm waiting. I was so disappointed by the remixes that have already been released, and I'm not excited enough to actually buy the cd. Probably will eventually just to have all of them, but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere right now.