Quick question? Ask here!

"The 'run it!' vocal sample at 0:04 was used in the Styles Of Beyond track "Come Out Your Frame (Interlude)" off of their album 2000 Fold. Otherwise these are random samples."

Is this the same one that Joe scratches on the live performances of High Voltage? sounds similar but i'm not sure

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Diaux said:

"The 'run it!' vocal sample at 0:04 was used in the Styles Of Beyond track "Come Out Your Frame (Interlude)" off of their album 2000 Fold. Otherwise these are random samples."

Is this the same one that Joe scratches on the live performances of High Voltage? sounds similar but i'm not sure

Are you referring to the Gas Station?

On 8/27/2020 at 3:24 AM, rd1994 said:

Anybody have a clue what the transition from Don't Stay to Somewhere I Belong is? It almost sounds like a clip from a countdown or something

On 10/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, blackout said:

Thank you. I'm glad that someone came up with more extensive and logical explanation to me because it all didn't make sense to me. Now I get it fully. 

One thing that I maybe don't understand is why they decided to continue working on such songs like Carousel of Part of Me. They definitely had the intention to put one or two songs from HTEP on HT. However, I wouldn't have liked it personally - the vibe of the EP is much different than the album and songs from HTEP kinda belong together nicely where they were initially.

But then again, wouldn't it be more logical to throw more money at demo CDs than at HTEP? HTEP seems to be a very underground release while the demo CDs contain much stronger material (Papercut or POA early versions) and were sent to various labels. I don't doubt the facts that you presented, just thinking out loud. 

No. Because for the HTEP they entered a professional studio with Mudrock. The demo CDs were recorded by the band using their own gear. They only worked with Don Gilmore for 6~ish weeks in mid 2000, they were recording everything themselves before that. That's why the HTEP sounds better. Those demos for Part of Me and Carousel were recorded after the HTEP for possible inclusion on HT (glad they didn't go with them; Don also vetoed Stick N Move) so that is why they don't sound as good.

The demo CD stuff was just showcasing what they were working on before Warner sent them in the studio with a real producer for the debut album. I agree that the creative streak they hit with Chester was really impressive - Papercut, Dust Brothers, Plaster, Crawling, Points, Untitled... all of those were brand new songs that absolutely kicked ass. The fact LP created those so quickly is mindblowing.

Remember the 8 track demo CD was almost released as a long EP before they recorded Hybrid Theory. Thank goodness they didn't do that because it would have ruined the surprise of the album. She Couldn't was also on that one. I wonder why Rhinestone and Esaul weren't on that and She Couldn't was. Maybe they were saving those two for the album, or they didn't think they were in the 8 strongest songs they had. We'd never know the answers to those questions unless we asked the band literally in February 2000 lol

• 2 weeks later...

What is the actual lyric to the chorus of Dialate (Xero Demo)? On many sites (such as Genius, Musixmatch, etc.), I'm seeing that the chorus as "I mean't what I say now, connect one, dilate, and break down". On some sites (such as Linkinpedia, Lyrics Translate, etc.), I'm seeing the chorus as "I mean't what I say now, connect one, dilate, and play it down". 

Edited by NJPLP

1 hour ago, xeroboi said:

It's 100% play it down 

54 minutes ago, Justin said:

It's definitely "play it down". Genius, Apple Music, etc. regularly have mistakes because those lyrics are user submitted. 

Then Genius, Musix Match, Apple Music, etc. need to have their lyrics fixed.

(Edit): I proposed the actual "fixed" lyrics to Genius. I also submitted the actual "fixed" lyrics to Musix Match.

Edited by NJPLP

3 hours ago, Justin said:

It's definitely "play it down". Genius, Apple Music, etc. regularly have mistakes because those lyrics are user submitted. 

It also doesn't help that Genius apparently never bothers going through their corrections queue on any song that isn't super popular.

Source: "The Hiram Abiff of this rap shit" line in Ryu's verse on the Skin to Bone remix that I submitted months ago, which still hasn't been accepted nor denied.

Hey I’m new here on LPlive I’m a long time fan and I think I found a new source of Thoughts that take away my pride song. It sounds like the instrumental used in LPTV summer sanitarium the verse part and I thought I’d share: it’s in the background of this LPUTV:

•  

Edited by LinkinPark979

how do cover rights work?

there's this awful album "hybrid theory: an encore", very amateur.

Every band that makes a cover has to ask permission for the label? Do they have to pay royalties or anything like that?

Sometimes a very tiny band makes a cover of a really big band, and i ask myself how they managed to contact the band/label and get approved to cover the song.

2 hours ago, vinifeijo said:

Every band that makes a cover has to ask permission for the label? Do they have to pay royalties or anything like that?

Sometimes a very tiny band makes a cover of a really big band, and i ask myself how they managed to contact the band/label and get approved to cover the song.

If you monetize your cover you've got to clear the rights first

But covering a song without getting anything from it, usually doesn't bring anything to the table.

At least as long as it's not big enough to get Warner's attention. But legally I think you may cover whatever you want

Covering any song (even with no monetization) TECHNICALLY requires a license. But it's not the same deal as sampling where you have to get in contact with the label/band to clear it. It's incredibly easy to get the mechanical license that lets you legally upload/sell a cover.

On Linkinpedia, it says that Carousel was rehearsed by Linkin Park in 2001, and on LPLive, in the rehearsals, there are 2 in North Hollywood, Califonia for the dates 4/12/2001 & 4/13/2001. So is it a possibility that Carousel was rehearsed at either of those 2 rehearsals?

3 hours ago, NJPLP said:

On Linkinpedia, it says that Carousel was rehearsed by Linkin Park in 2001, and on LPLive, in the rehearsals, there are 2 in North Hollywood, Califonia for the dates 4/12/2001 & 4/13/2001. So is it a possibility that Carousel was rehearsed at either of those 2 rehearsals?

In 2001, right before their European tour in September, Linkin Park gave an interview to OnStage where Brad Delson said the band would be using their soundcheck time during the next tour to rehearse old songs. The songs mentioned were "My December" and "Carousel"

http://linkinpedia.com/index.php?title=Carousel#Live

How can you tell the difference between from the version of And One from the Hybrid Theory EP & the version of And One from the 9, 8, & 7 track demos? I've listened to both versions. I can't really tell a difference between them.

Edited by NJPLP

On 11/13/2020 at 1:28 AM, NJPLP said:

How can you tell the difference between from the version of And One from the Hybrid Theory EP & the version of And One from the 9, 8, & 7 track demos? I've listened to both versions. I can't really tell a difference between them.

Also left and right channels are switched

On 11/5/2020 at 6:35 AM, vinifeijo said:

All music copyrighted in the United States exists under what's known as a "compulsory license law." Basically if you sign all the paperwork and agree to pay the licensing fees and royalty rates that are set by the statute of the law, you're not required to get any kind of permission to record/release/sell a cover song. A lot of covers are released without the artist or anyone outside their label's licensing department even knowing about them.

3 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Did Mark Wakefield help write the songs of Coal (1997 Demo) & Stick And Move ("Runaway" Demo 1998)?

The whole band with Mark is credited on Stick And Move, but is probably just Mike with his MPC.

The same deal for Coal althought i don't think Mark is credited on that one

Edited by Diaux